PDA

View Full Version : Funny cat naming stories

columbine
07-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I got this one from A Word A Day, (http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscribe.html) a fun service for word lovers with an entertaining newsletter:

Many years ago, my sister was regularly finding a small, black cat on her porch. The cat was friendly and affectionate so she assumed it was someone's pet. Inquiries around the neighbourhood, however, did not turn up an owner, just others who were also feeding the cat whenever it appeared. One rainy evening, my sister brought the cat in and decided she was going to keep it. Holding the cat aloft and looking it in the eye she mused aloud, "What am I going to call you?"
Her husband responded. "Call it Apostrophe."
"Apostrophe!! Why?"
"'Cause it's small and black... and somebody left it out."
Princess Apostrophe (known as 'Triffy') became a much cherished member of the family.
-Nancy MacPhee

Don Juan's mom
07-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Don Juan got that name at the Humane Society. I kept it because he's super affectionate... and just a little naughty. :rolleyes: :D

Zerlina was called "Zana" when I saw her at the Petsmart adoption center. I was thinking of a second cat, and was picturing a little black kitten called "Leporello" (Don Juan's manservant). But since the little black kitty I got is a girl, I called her "Zerlina" after the character in the opera Don Giovanni. :cool:

Liz

Laura's Babies
07-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Long ago, we had a little orange kitten take up at our house. I lived in the country, far off the beaten path so I didn't mind having another yard cat so I let him stay. I just couldn't come up with a name that fit him. I had him for several weeks when my sister and her husband came by and her husband is a great one for coming up with names so I asked him what to name the little oprange kitten. He picked the little guy up, looked him in the eyes and said "I dub thee "RASTUS!" It fit PURFECT so that was his name.

4 Dog Mother
07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
When we found a stray cat in our yard and knew the neighbor was trying to trap it and get rid of it, we called my sister and asked if she wanted this very cute, very affectionate baby. She and her husband came down and fell in love with him. They were trying to think of a name but couldn't come up with one on their drive home. Since she has other cats, she puts any new ones away from the others until she can get them vet checked the next day. She put this one in the garage and went to get it food and water. When she got back to the garage and it couldn't have been more than five minutes or so, she found the cat with a mouse in his mouth. What more fitting name than Hunter could she give this cat.

kuhio98
07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
One Sunday while I was away at work in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, Bobcat adopted Halo from the shelter. He wanted me to name her so he resisted calling her anything. Everytime, she'd meow he'd say, "Hello".

When I got home on Tuesday and said hello to Bobcat, she came running meowing wanting to know what we wanted. Guess she figured that was her name. Slowly Hello changed to Halo. Because she's an angel, dontcha know. :D

Trinityagain
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
In December of 2005 my husband was outside in our backyard. There were some kittens around and we had been feeding them. He saw one run under his truck (full size Ford 250) and went to retrieve said kitten. Looked under the truck and saw her go up into the engine. He popped the hood and there she was, sitting on the turbo charger for the truck. He had to crawl up on the bumper to reach her, by which time she had already left some kitten poop on the charger...her name? Turbo!

catmandu
07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos761.jpg
I CALLED MY CAT POUNCER , AFTER I BROUGHT HER HOME FROM THE LOW BUDGET PETT STORE WHERE SHE WAS IN A TINY CAGE WITH HER FOOD RIGHT NEAR HER UNCLEANED LITTER BOX.
I THREW HER TOYS TO HER AND SHE WOULD GET INTO A TINY BALL, AND SUDDENLY ...POUNCE!!!
THE LIGHT BULD WENT OVER MY HEAD , AND I HAD AS A FRIEND MY VERY OWN POUNCER!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats852.jpg
AND IN TRIBUTE TO MY TORTOISE SHELL ANGEL I CALLED THIS DEAR LITTLE BEAUTY
POUNCIERGE, AS SHE NOW HAS A GREAT GUARDIAN ANGEL TO WATCH OVER HER.

catmandu
07-03-2008, 09:56 AM
AND I CALLED THE TUXEDOCAT WHO I FOUND OUTSIDE MY APARTMENT BUILDING SCRAPPY AS YOU WAS BEING CHASED BY POUNCER WHO RESENTED THE NEW CAT, BUT HE STOOD HIS GROUND AND WAS SCRAPPY, FIGHTING BACK!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture113.jpg
I GOT A COMPALINT ABOUT THIER FIGHTING NOISE AND PUR SCRAPPY IN A CARRIER THINKING I MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE HIM UP. HE STARTED CRYING , LITERALLY AND POUNCER CAME OVER TO COMFORT HIM.
AND AFTER THAT THEY WERE DEAR FRIENDS.
AND AS HE MATURED SCRAPPY BECAME MR SCRAPPY, MY DEAR , DEAR FRIEND.
AND WHEN A PREGNANT LITTLE STARY SHOWED UP, WITH TUXEDO MARKINGS, COULD THERE BE ANY OTHER NAME THAT SCRAPPY 2?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos982.jpg
WHO AS WELL HAS A GREAT GUARDIAN ANGEL CAT TO WATCH OVER HER, AND BE HER ETERNAL COMPANION.

catmandu
07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos754.jpg
A NICE GROUP SHOT WITH MR FLUFFY THE WHITE AND GRAY , WHO WAS A MATURE CAT , AND WITH ALL HIS FUR, MR FLUFFY WAS THE ONLY LOGICAL NAME!!!
I SURE MISS THESE CATS BUT I WILL SEE THEM
ONE FINE DAY.

pitc9
07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I had a diluted Torti Manx that was named Dookie by a friend after seeing the Bud Light commercial

"Yo Dookie Wazzzzz Up"
:o

momcat
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
One afternoon I stopped at a small mom& pop pet shop to get food for my RB parakeet JC Chapin. There was a sign on the door saying "We have kittens". Of course the babies were right across from the bird food. I knelt down to look at them and they all came to the front of the large cage. A little face popped up in the middle of the group, I looked at him, he looked at me and it was a done deal. The adorable little baby with the Groucho Marx moustache was coming home. The first thing I fell in love with was that moustache, and that's how Groucho got his name.

Laura's Babies
07-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I forgot about how Amy got her name. I brought her home from the pet store where she was in the cage with her 2 other litter mates. My son and his wife were with me. Once we got her home and put her down, I said "we have to name her! WHAT?" so we took turns throwing names around... we all agreed "no!" "no!' "no!" to all the names that were mentioned.. When my DIL threw out the name "AMY!" WE all instantly agreed, it fit and was purfect for her!

smokey the elder
07-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Right after New Years Day in 1994, my SO rescued a little kitten from behind a pizza place. We were casting about for a name, when she started curling around and rolling on the floor. She twisted around so much, I said, "That cat is like a Mobius strip!" So she became Mobius (Moby for short.) She'll be 15 in September.

catmandu
07-03-2008, 05:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/MichaelOnCatTree.jpg
AND MY MICHAEL, OFFICIALLY NOW MICHEAL DYLAN THE DREAM .
HE WAS DYALN AND THEN BECAME MICHAEL WHEN I BOUGHT THE JAPANESE COMICSTRIP WHATS MICHAEL?, ABOUT AN OWESOME ORANGE CAT!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cats763.jpg
AND MIQUELITO WITH JOHN HANCOCK , MIQUELITO IN SPANISH MEAND LITTLE MICHAEL . HES GOTTEN TO BE A REGULAR LITTLE ORANGE LION NOW!!!

catmandu
07-03-2008, 06:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/Scan10268.jpg
WHATS MICHAEL? WHICH IS NOW UP TO VOLUME 12.
THEY ARE SUCH FUNNY STORIES , ABOUT PEOPLE AND THIER CATS.

Medusa
07-03-2008, 06:26 PM
My Creamsicle got her name because of her coloring. I scooped her up and said "I could just eat you up cuz you look just like a little Creamsicle!"

Peeka and Boo, brother and sister, got their names because Peeka used to peek around corners and Boo is a black cat who used to pounce at you when you least expected it, as if he was saying "Boo!"

Pigeon was named so because of the way she coos.

Specs got his name due to the white around his eyes, making it appear as though he's wearing spectacles.

Yoda got her name because she always had airplane ears. Little did I know it was because she had an ear polyp at that time.

Puddy got her name from the cartoon where Tweety Bird would say "I tot I taw a puddy tat" because she hid from me when I went to pick her up at the home where she was living and when I found her, that's what I said, so the name Puddy stuck.

When he would walk away from me, his balls were so cute and brown and fuzzy that I'd squeal "Just look at those cute little Coco Puffs!" So that's how he got his name. :p

krazyaboutkatz
07-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Great story and cute thread.:)
Storm was already named by the Humane Society and I liked his name so I kept it. Even before I adopted Sunny, I was going to name my next cat Sunny because I was looking for a male orangie. Little did I know that this name would fit him so perfectly.:) Sky was named Herman and I couldn't stand this name for him so I named him Sky after his pretty blue eyes. Starr was being called Sammy because he was supposed to be adopted by another lady but she later changed her mind. I thought the name Starr suited him.:) Both Pearl and Ziggy Stardust were already named by another PT'er K & L and I liked both of their names so I kept them. Pearl was my grandma's name so it does have meaning for me and Ziggy Stardust was named this because of her odd eyes.:

My RB Pepper was named Chocolate but he was a black cat not brown and I thought this name was too long. I decided to name him Pepper because he was black, he started sneezing,and he was full of pep. Little did I know that Pepper was such a common name.;)

Scooter's Mom
07-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Scooter Bug was about 5 weeks old when my neighbor brought him to me. She found him at the school bus stop. She's not a kitty person, but knew I was (my ex-hubby and I had 3 others older than Scooter). At first he was "no name" because we were NOT keeping a 4th kitty. Then he changed to Fizgig (from a cartoon). After about a month, I realized he always sat at the end of my bed while I watched tv or was reading, and he'd scoot up one little step at a time. Then he'd sit on my shoulder and bug me to pieces! So, he named himself. He is my sweetest baby.

Charlie was named Calvin at the shelter we adopted him from. We tried to call him Calvin, but it just wasn't sticking. So he became Charlie and it really just seems to fit him so much better.

Jingle Belle - you all know how she was named. We found her three days before Christmas last year. First thing I did was call my best friend in Houston and she and her daughter and I came up with a name for her while looking at her picture on the computer together. I usually call her "my little bella" or "get off of there!" but Jingle Belle fits too. :)

My best friend and her hubby (who is my ex-hubby) have a kitty named Twinkie Boo. When Dave and I got him he was so tiny he fit in a shirt pocket. (We were at the vet and someone brought in an abandoned kitten, we couldn't leave him there.) He still had blue gray eyes and barely sat! Dave and I worked all day, so we took him to my mom who was not working at that time, and she bottle fed him and taught him how to go potty in a litter box. He is orange and white, and her cuss words for him when he'd be ornery was "you little twinkie!" So, we named him Twinkie. When we took him home when he was old enough, she called so often to check on him! She loved that little guy. He isn't so little now, though!

catmandu
07-04-2008, 03:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats777.jpg
AND TUBSTER PANTHER , HES PANTHER BECUASE HES SO BIG, AND TUBSTER AS HES NAMED AFTER TUBBY 2 ANGEL , AND TUBBY ANGEL ,A DEAR FRIEND OF THE FOUND CATS FOR MANY YEARS!!!!:cool::love::love:

catmandu
07-04-2008, 03:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1011767.jpg
AND JOSEPH WHO BECAME JUKE JOINT JOSEPH:cool::cool: AFTER HE MMMMEEEEEOOOWED :D:)
HIS WAY TO FAME ON TWO DIFFERENT RADIO SHOWS , AND THE ONE FELLOW USED HIS MMMMEEEEEEOOOW AS A SOUND BITE MANY TIMES.
SADLY HE PASSED ON, SO NO MORE JOSEPH ON THE RADIO!!
BUT HES STILL JUKE JOINT JOSEPH TO US!!!!:love:

catmandu
07-04-2008, 03:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1012069.jpg
ORANGE IN STERO
MICHAEL THE DREAM AND MIQUELITO THE ORNAGE LION.

catmandu
07-04-2008, 04:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1012231.jpg
AND MY PRINCESS WHO WAS MISS MANNERS , BT TO ME WAS SO REGAL THAT SHE JUST HAD TO BE A PRINCESS!!!
DONY YOU AGREE!!!!!!!

mruffruff
07-07-2008, 11:14 AM
A year ago last Christmas I trapped one of the strays in front of my house, expecting to take him directly to my vet for neutering. However she was on vacation for a week. So for a week the cat sat in a large cage. Every time I would try to feed him or clean his litter box, he would growl at me. It sounded like a low hum. So I named him Hummer. He got to the vet and was released onto my porch, where he visits often.

Another front porch cat is Pretty Boy Floyd. He too had to spend a week in the cage. He has a very pretty, sweet face, but attacked my hand every time I tried to give him his meds in wet food. Pretty, but very dangerous. He has taken up residence on my front porch but keeps his distance (about 2 feet from me).

Mooch was doing just that when I took him in 5 years ago. Now he's an overweight couch potato.

cassiesmom
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
My sister used to have a neighborhood kitty on her block that would roam from yard to yard. The cat was called Whitney by everyone on the block because she was black and very beautiful.

My sister's Meezer, Poco, got his name because he was so small when she adopted him (poco is an Italian word, a musical term for slight or small). Poco started out tiny but he grew up to be big, strong and verrrrrrry possessive of my sister. He also liked to eat lunch meat - just crackle the package and here comes Poco! - green beans, and the sauce from a Big Mac.

Cassie got her name (Cashmere) because my mom had on a grey cashmere blend sweater the day I told her and my dad I was adopting a kitty.

DJFyrewolf36
07-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Spook got her name by the way she acts...most people assume she got the name because she is a black cat but noooo lol :D You really have to be around her to realize that she is just a Spook.

Hoodini got his name because of his cat like ability to hide in obvious places and his ablity to quickly escape from any social situation. He never is interested in escaping out of the house, but he sure does dissapear quick when people are around! That and the name just fits him for some strange reason ;). When we first got him both me and the hubby almost simultaniously said "Hoodini" when we were thinking of a name for him.

Remus is an interesting story. His full name is Remus Kibbyashi Maru, AKA the cat with no solution. The Remus part was inspired by a dream I had a few nights before I got him. In the dream I went to the shelter and a cat named Remus was waiting for me. When I did go to the shelter later in the week and saw him I knew I had found my Remus boy! The kibbyashi maru part was inspired by the Kobyashi Maru (sp?) of Star Trek fame. Basically it is a training scinerio that supposedly is unbeatable but all starfleet cadets must face it. Remus, too, has no solution. Sometimes you just can't figure him out! Everyone though, even people who claim to hate cats, loves Remus and tries to figure him out. I've stopped telling people that this is imposible :D

Gin
07-08-2008, 08:16 PM
As a youngster, my orange cat had abnormally large feet, prompting me to name him Sasquatch. His nickname is Sassy, which fits him too.

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 08:25 PM
When he would walk away from me, his balls were so cute and brown and fuzzy that I'd squeal "Just look at those cute little Coco Puffs!" So that's how he got his name. :p

As a male, I vigorously protest this story.:eek:

LOLOLOLOLOL, The things women notice!

-----------

Ed was named after Eddie the Dog on the Fraser T.V. show.

Since coming to live with me he has many names,

Edward D Katz - His Adoptive Name
Edward P Jasinski - His Family Name
Edwards Air Force Base - His I Want to Fly Around the Room Name.

catmandu
07-09-2008, 09:39 AM
MY SECOND COUSIN WHEN SHE WAS YOUNG , USED TO REFER TO THEM AS POM POMS!!!
THAT WAS FUNNY, A MALE CHEERLEADER CAT!!!!;):):D:rolleyes: