PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Movies/Programs Rant.

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 01:38 PM
I just saw the preview of a "Summer Blockbuster" starring Eddie Murphy.

I really didn't get the premise of the movie but in one scene EM comes across a cat that he kicks-YOU CAN TELL THAT THEY CUT THE FILM AND REPLACE THE CAT WITH A DOLL, but why would they even put something that smacks of animal abuse into it?

There was a stupid movie a few years back where a dog or cat bites some actor and he throws it out a window.

That's really funny!

I read the review about the "Hancock" movie.....A drunk superhero that can fly but can't land.

I just don't get it. The producer said that he had one F-bomb in the movie that he had to use judiciously to save the rating so more people could use it!

---------------------

I am no saint and do not profess to have a clean conscious-I like my humor bawdy, but with a little couth.

I was watching SPIKE TV for the MMA fights that they broadcast. During the commercials a promo for "STV's first original comedy' come on.

The 'comedy' is about a factory and the 'men' who work in it.

There are three guys sitting around and one of them is holding his hand up and explaining to the other two about -Dude, even I can't explain it without cringing-how he gets intimate with his lady friends.

There is no way to even say that it's a double entendre....It was friggin crass.

THe problem I had with it was more with the way that the station played it during the fights. I am sure that there were kids watching during the program.

I just could not believe that they would OK showing a clip of a racy show like that.

----------------

I was channel surfing and saw some kiddie program where this little AH was on a classroom and standing on a desk. The teacher told him to get down or he was going to go to the principal's office. The kid blows her off, walks across the rest of the desks, out the door and into the hall.

He stops and looks at the camera and says something really 'cute' like, 'Hey, that go me out of class!'

The teacher doesn't follow or do anything to the little AH.

No wonder kids act like this in real life.

ABC Family and the Disney Channel promote this kind of smart-arsed, "I can do anything I want" horsecrap as kiddie programming.

Parents, teachers and any authority figures are shown as impotent, buffonish idiots that can be easily baffled by some little pre-teen.

I couldn't stand "Leave it to Beaver" but he never treated June and Ward as idiots who couldn't figure out what the Wally and the Beav were up to.

They were just hard enough on the Beaver.:eek::rolleyes::o

Catlady711
06-29-2008, 03:58 PM
This is just a few reasons why I'm a big fan of older movies and have quite an extensive collection of DVD's and VHS tapes I started collecting when TV went downhill in the 80's.

Most shows are way to racy, have too many childish bodily function jokes, awful language and honestly just aren't what I'd call entertainemnt.:(

I don't think the kids doing whatever they want on TV is causing the problems though. I've seen WAY too many kids like this in real life, long before it was common place on TV, doing the same thing. IMHO it all comes down to when spanking was made basically a bad thing and now kids lord it over every adult with threats of 'touch me and I'll call the police/social services'. :mad:

I can totally understand your frustration with movies/tv though that's for sure.

lizbud
06-29-2008, 04:24 PM
If it weren't for National Geographic, Animal Planet, Bravo and TCM ( Turner
Classic Movies) I wouldn't even own a TV. Oh, there is one summer replacement series that reminds me of the old Twilight Zone. It's called
Fear Itself. Not bad.:)

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 08:42 PM
You forgot Discovery!

Did anyone watch "When We Left Earth"?

That was outstanding!

-------------
I love comedy. I can sit and watch old stupid movies all day.

Some of the better ones are 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", "Raising Arizona", "Gumball Rally", What about the 'On The Road' Flicks? I loved the ensemble movies where you watched and tried to name every star that starred or did a cameo.

I saw "Hot Fuzz" the other night and thought it was pretty funny-The Brits WRITE dialogue. They have the ability to take something weird or naughty, then present it to you in a civilized manner.

A 'gas' joke in a British movie is far more "offensive" than an American flick.

Example?

A guy slides into a taxi. As he moves across the seat, his face will get wrinkled up, he'll look down between his legs, then rush to roll down the windows and while using a newspaper to fan the air around.

The implications are the joke!

In a Hollywood comedy the same scene goes like this.

Man slides across the taxi seat. Then you get the gas noises, that are totally overboard and and sound like the poor dude doodied himself. The ethnic cabby starts to yell at the guy, "You poop my taxi!" kicks him out and everyone laughs.
-------------------

Here's my formula for movies that give me an idea as to how effort I put into watching movies....

1) Nudity. If there is a nude woman in the first 10 minutes I tune out pretty fast. It's usually an 'actress' who is better naked than in a role. "Acting" naked is really tough.

2) If the male lead has ever done an interview and lapses into voices or characters, I won't watch.

3) Human Drama isn't two people getting drunk, sleeping together and then it turns into a comedy when the gal gets pregnant.-Another offensive movie was "Baby Mama" . I saw the trailer for it. There were two stupid scenes in it.
Based on that, not interested...

4) Marketing- Make a trailer that doesn't show the whole movies in 30 seconds. Also, go easy on the promotions. I really hate to see the cups with movie ads that people toss all over the street. Don't buy every other commercial slot to promo it- And don't photoshop the actor's bodies on the posters or print ads!

5) Don't bother me with remakes either. You find some dopey actor that totally screws up the image I had of the classic.

6) With a few exceptions DON'T make a sequel to a movie that makes 50 zillion dollars, Take your money and retire.

I am still trying to figure out The Matrix. It was O.K. but, they tried to tell a story.

Like WTF, Neo?.......Why not just move to a new town and forget all the drama?;)

6) From the Producers of......

Scrap that line- You made one good movie, that doesn't entitle you to follow it up with another winner......;)

Glacier
06-29-2008, 09:51 PM
You forgot Discovery!

Did anyone watch "When We Left Earth"?

That was outstanding!

-------------

Read the book it's based on..."The World without Us." It's amazing!

If StarChoice dropped the music/radio channels, I'd probably get rid of the tv!

Suki Wingy
06-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Most shows are way to racy, have too many childish bodily function jokes, awful language and honestly just aren't what I'd call entertainemnt.

But I sure call it entertainment! :D

I also watch a lot of TV that was on before I was born, though. I have cable but since I've gotten my own laptop I pretty much only watch Youtube. If I watch TV I really only watch Discovery, History, TV Land.

Oh, and I really wanted to see When We Left Earth, but I only saw one commercial and then I don't think I've watched the TV all week. I'm really interested in the Space Race, and the technology of the sixties and that time, but the concept of leaving the Earth's atmosphere scares me a little! It's the only thing that I can think of that I am afraid of.

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 11:40 PM
If you waste a few hours of time watch WWLE.

The best parts were the interviews. It is amazing that these men and women are ordinary "aw schucks" kind of people. They talk of their experiences as if it was a job, a little adventure.

I always think of the word 'brave' when I think about them, and somehow dedicated, curious, simple and brilliant aren't ever considered.

--------------

The best books on the planet are the Leonard Malkin/movie encyclopedias

They list tons of movies, rate them, list the stars and if you know the star and cannot remember the movie, they list the actors by name and the movies they made.

I think it comes in a DVD format now. Well worth the dollars!:)

Suki Wingy
06-30-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't think that'd come much in handy for me since a lot of movies that get poor reviews or generally unknown movies are at the top of my favorites list. Plus I'm broke.

RICHARD
06-30-2008, 01:21 AM
I don't think that'd come much in handy for me since a lot of movies that get poor reviews or generally unknown movies are at the top of my favorites list. Plus I'm broke.

The Maltin books have scads of movies listed.....He rates them 4 stars to BOMB. IF you have seen it, it's more than likely in there.

Check one out at the library. You'll be surprised-plus it revised every year-I have a copy that's about 7 years old. It still is good for reference on a late Saturday afternoon.

You can always find a used cheap copy on the net!

Pam
06-30-2008, 05:17 AM
I hear you Richard! What Hollywood has been pumping out over the years has caused me to stay home. I also agree with the "programming" that kids get from the tube about how to be in charge of their parents. Fathers, in particular, are painted as buffoons on your average sitcom. It is really disgusting. I am with Liz. I only watch CBN, Animal Planet, FOX, Discovery Health and a few others.

I will take this opportunity, though, to plug a movie that I went to yesterday. It was my first trip to the theater in years. My son, daughter-in-law and I watch The Office on TV. (My son is an avid fan! :) ) Well, they invited me to go with them to see Get Smart with Steve Carell from The Office. What an enjoyable movie!! Very clever writing and I laughed and laughed! Good clean entertainment that you could take your young children to. It also made me want to try and dig up some of the original Get Smart TV shows. I wonder if they are around somewhere on VHS. Gosh I loved that show! I have a feeling they will be after people see this movie. :)

The short little preview clips of upcoming movies were more of the same Hollywood cr@p though. I have to wonder why, when the public loves good entertainment, they keep spewing out the same old garbage. :confused:

RICHARD
06-30-2008, 07:51 AM
KDOC is a sketchy TV station out here that shows Hawaii 5-0, Mama's Family and any old TV shows that they can get their hands on.

They recently started showing the old GS programs-If HW remakes an old TV show, they start to show the reruns before the movie opens. Brilliant programming....I almost said "smart"..:eek:

ChrisH
06-30-2008, 01:02 PM
... It also made me want to try and dig up some of the original Get Smart TV shows. I wonder if they are around somewhere on VHS. Gosh I loved that show! I have a feeling they will be after people see this movie. :)
On DVD?
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Smart-Complete-Don-Adams/dp/B001666484/ref=pd_cp_d_1?pf_rd_p=316286001&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002S64Z0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05F0K3JTG3TYVQ1SHH38
Scroll down and you will see some more.

And as a set
http://www.videomediaonline.com/getsmart.html?gclid=CMWe-NvenJQCFQcUQgodax2Ztg

Sevaede
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Programming has to be appealing to its targeted viewers. :) That could be why childrens programming has a certain immature or lack of respect attitude. Children, *generally*, have that attitude or that willingness to separate themselves from their parents and identify as their own person. Seeing their parents, or other persons of authority, in a so-called "objective" point of view, with faults, however they have to paint it, helps part of THAT process. Independence and whatnot.

Plus, children are pretty easily amused.

Then again, adults are the one creating the programming.

Just an idea! :D

Pam
06-30-2008, 07:23 PM
On DVD?
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Smart-Complete-Don-Adams/dp/B001666484/ref=pd_cp_d_1?pf_rd_p=316286001&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002S64Z0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05F0K3JTG3TYVQ1SHH38
Scroll down and you will see some more.

And as a set
http://www.videomediaonline.com/getsmart.html?gclid=CMWe-NvenJQCFQcUQgodax2Ztg

Thanks Chris! I knew they had to be out there somewhere! I think after people start seeing this movie there will be renewed interest in the original TV show and others will want to grab them up. :)

Cincy'sMom
06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
You forgot Discovery!

And Speed!!!

Some of the best comedy on TV is Mikey Waltrip on Monday nights and Kenny Wallace on Race Day :)

I love comedy. I can sit and watch old stupid movies all day.

Some of the better ones are 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", "Raising Arizona", "Gumball Rally", What about the 'On The Road' Flicks? I loved the ensemble movies where you watched and tried to name every star that starred or did a cameo.

Another great old movie is Arsenic and Old Lace. I think we watch it everytime it is on.

Cataholic
07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
There are some shows on television today that I can use, briefly, as a teaching tool for Jonah! If EVER he is up late enough to watch "Jon and Kate, plus 8" or, "Super Nanny", I use the show to illustrate how poorly kids behave, and how they seem so naughty, so disrespectful. To see such conduct with your own eyes is alot different than being told, "Hey, you are being bratty".

I will sometimes watch tv after he goes to bed (not to suggest he doesn't watch tv, he does....), and I am amazed at how nekkid most people are anymore. Was it always like this, or, have my thoughts/views changed???

Trinityagain
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Another good old movie, IMO, "Murder by Death"...I can watch it a million times....

cassiesmom
07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
"Wipeout" and I Survived A Japanese Game Show". Dumb and stupid. Sorry guys - Spike has done it best with MXC. There was a funny Saturday Night Live sketch followed with Mike Myers, Alec Baldwin, Janeane Garofalo and Chris Farley as the only non-Japanese character. Wipeout and Japanese Game Show are obvious knock-offs of MXC.

smokey the elder
07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
MXC was a hoot! Wipeout is silly but definitely a knockoff. Summertime mind candy for when you're not really paying attention to the tube.

RICHARD
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
"Wipeout" and I Survived A Japanese Game Show". Wipeout and Japanese Game Show are obvious knock-offs of MXC.

The hosts suck and there is nothing funny about it-it's more geared to making the contestants suffer.The hosts of MXC are part of the program-the costumes and their interactions.

In MXC it's the naughty writing. You have to pay close attention to the dialogue because it's so cleverly written. It's topical and timely-the play on the contestant's names, occupations and the dubbing are what make the show.

That is the kind of clever humor that I find funny. You can say that it is juvenile, but the double entendres and veiled references make you THINK about the joke- as opposed to it just being a sight gag!

I do like the characters on MXC, They make the show more interesting!

-----------------

Does anyone do the BBC documentaries?

They are really edgy and address some topics that only show up on talk shows-and even then you have the host asking stupid questions followed by a doctor or psychologist who try to explain something that is out of their specialty.:rolleyes:

lizbud
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Those idiotic gameshows will turn your brain to mush Richard.:rolleyes:
I know you are among the "easily amused", but most shows are a waste
of good air time.:D

RICHARD
07-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Those idiotic gameshows will turn your brain to mush Richard.:rolleyes:
I know you are among the "easily amused", but most shows are a waste
of good air time.:D

The only American game shows I do are Jeopardy and Wheel and Cash Cab.

All the rest are fillers when I am bored and I need a break from politics and the spawn of Jolie.;)

------------

The History Channel rocks- I can watch the "how stuff is made", Mega Machines and the war documentaries.

Speed Channel premiered a program called "101 cars you have to drive before you die"

I came across a really good, quirky program on my On Demand channel.

It's a game show where a couple is sent to a vacation spot and they have to go around and accomplish 8 tasks in 12 hours to win a week in a really nice hotel. If they fail, they go home the same day. They are given clues by cell phone and try to solve them within the time frame.

The tasks are based on the area's history, customs and people.

In one show the couple went to Cuba and they had to roll cigars, box one round in a famous gym, find a pirce of clothing worn by Fidel Castro in a museum and sing with a local band at a concert.

Another program was done in Argentina. I learned something about Eva Peron and her final resting place...It's kinda mindless but informational!

Suki Wingy
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty much only watch the History Channel, but I can't stand How It's Made or whatever it's called. I do love Modern Marvels though. Yesterday I watched the same program on the Manhattan Project that I think I've seen the first part of before I fell asleep, but I fell asleep again this time!

RICHARD
07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Yesterday I watched the same program on the Manhattan Project that I think I've seen the first part of before I fell asleep, but I fell asleep again this time!

Don't worry, everything blows up at the end.;)

I really watch the "How it's Made" programs because I am waiting for the long haired guyto get sucked into the machine that seals stuff in plastic!:eek::rolleyes::D