PDA

View Full Version : Ok I have a problem well actually need some advice

HoochsMommiee
06-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Here is my problem Hunter has this 4month old lab mix that he plays with all the time and they totally love playing with each other, Well they were playing together today and brandon Dudleys owner was trying to get dudley to sit still so he could fix his harness it was on wrong and well we all know how 4month old puppies are they DO NOT listen one bit when they wanna play So brandon Grab Dudley By the back of the neck but closer to the ears and kinda gave a lil Jerk to him and make Dudley wimper and then smacked him on the a$$ which totally pi$$ed me off, that is not how you teach a Puppy to listen.. I am wondering if i should say something to brandon about it and maybe suggest another way of trying to get him to listen... See i don't want hunter to lose his play mate that is the only dog in our neighborhood/apt complex but it tore me up hearing dudley wimpering.. ( i have pic's of them playin that i will post...

What should i do

Freedom
06-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Good for you to even care! So many folks look the other way.

What to do depends in part on the relationship you have with the other owner. Ideas include:
- suggest a doggie kindergarten, maybe even for both of you to go together (then the trainer is the one delivering the message!)
- discuss positive reinforcement training techniques, ask for his ideas when you pupper is doing what 4 month olds do, wriggle
- find a good book on positive reinforcement and give it as a gift
- in conversation, tell what you do and don't do with training your dog. "I get so frustrated some times, but I know we as responsible owners are NEVER EVER permitted to strike our dogs, what do you do when . . . ."

Relate the rolled up newspaper joke.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=142390&highlight=newspaper+hit

I'm sure other folks will have ideas and suggestions as well.