PDA

View Full Version : Happy but scared :) (New pictures addded Post #54)

Ginger's Mom
06-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Well, this may not be a surprise to some of you who have been paying attention. ;)
Meet Taz
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz014Small.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz011Small.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz004comp.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz006Small.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz003comp.jpg

Ginger and I have been talking about adding to our family for about 9 months now. And we started going to different rescues and shelters in February. Any way all of our months of searching have paid off. :) We found Taz. He just moved in with us today, and seems to be the most perfect well adjusted little boy you ever met. I suspect some quirks will show up 3 weeks from now when he realizes that he is here to stay, but we are ready for that. ;)

I was a bit sad when I was bringing him home and I realized that it will no longer be just my baby and me. Is it alright to feel that way? I know that Taz will just give Ginger and I the chance to give and receive more love. But in my 18 years of dog ownership it has only been just me and my girl (first Peaches then Ginger). This is a new and exciting (and scary) experience for me.

Wish us luck. :)

Cincy'sMom
06-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Congrats Joyce and Ginger!! Taz looks like a great addition!!

I was nervous when we brought Cincy home. I cried the first night, sure we had made a HUGH mistake... Sadie seemed to hate her, and didn't know what to do with the little thing. But within a day or two they were best buds, and 7 years later, still inseperable.

boomersooner
06-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the PetTalk family, little Taz!!! You're a cutie!

chocolatepuppy
06-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Oh Joyce! Congrats! I had a funny feeling this was coming. Taz is so cute!:D

I was a bit sad when I was bringing him home and I realized that it will no longer be just my baby and me. Is it alright to feel that way? I know that Taz will just give Ginger and I the chance to give and receive more love.
Yep, it's ok to feel that way, I've been there a few times.;) For the few things the 'only' dog is missing out on, he/she gains so much more with the added dog.:)

Pam
06-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Joyce I did kind of see this coming. :cool: I can't tell you how happy I am for you and Ginger both. Oh I can't wait to get to know this little cutie pie better. I know there will be pictures and stories in the days ahead and I will stay tuned! How far did you have to go to find him? Is he a Joizy boy? :D

cassiesmom
06-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Hello, Taz, cutie and welcome!

Glacier
06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Congrats and welcome home, Taz!

Ginger's Mom
06-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Thank you very much for the reassurances. :)
Amy, I have been close to tears a number of times this evening, for both happy and sad moments. But they were actually sniffing each other about 1/2 hour ago. I take that as a good sign.
Annette, thank you so very much for saying that. I think I was hoping that was true, but when trying to convince the "first" dog that, you begin to have doubts.
Yes, Pam, he is a Joisey boy through and through. I found him at the Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees yesterday, when I stopped on a whim while driving home from Animal Orphange on a totally unrelated matter (buying tickets to one of their fundraising events). He is 8 years old and was turned in by his family because of "conflicts with their other dogs." I have no idea what that could have been, he is unbelievably good.

Taz' little tail was wagging like crazy when I read him all of the wonderful comments. Thank you very much. :)

wolf_Q
06-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Congratulations! He's really cute!! I bet he'll be friends with Ginger, just give it some time. Nebo wasn't too fond of Keva after he realized she was here to stay...now they are great friends. :)

Cinder & Smoke
06-28-2008, 10:06 PM
For the few things the 'only' dog is missing out on,
he/she gains so much more with the added dog. :)

I don't think Cinder has missed ANYthing because of having Smokey in her Pack.

I had 'misgivings' moments after she and Boots, da Kat, "found him" on the front porch
at midnight on a bitter January night ... I thought she was trying to KILL him the way
she chased him around the Ranch Howze ... till I noticed as they dashed under the
pole light - they were Changing Places each lap!

I can't say who was more upset when we 'gave him away', on his second day with us,
for an overnight at Angels for Animals to get the Big Snip. Cinder was upset the whole
20 hours he was gone; then went ballistic with joy when I brought him out to the Bus
to ride back home. I think she gave him his "I'm Only #2" membership card that night ...

Although she holds the "I'm #1" card, she never waves it in his face.
In 7+ years, there's NEVER been a cross word between them! :)
And Cinder wouldn't trade him in for ALL the Milkbones in the world! :)

Given time, and some 'coaching' to both of them, I'll bet Ginger will welcome Taz
into the Pack as a near-equal in record time.

Happy #2 Dawg!

gini
06-28-2008, 10:33 PM
You have made me feel all warm and fuzzy this evening with the great news about Taz being your new family member.

God love you for giving this darling boy a good home.

Yes, there probably will be some interesting times ahead of you -but it will be replaced with sheer joy in watching them establish a bond.

chocolatepuppy
06-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't think Cinder has missed ANYthing because of having Smokey in her Pack.
All I meant was an only dog gets 100% of our attention, all the treats and all the toys,which he then has to share when another dog comes into the home. But sharing isn't a bad thing when you have another dog to share and play with.;)

Ginger's Mom
06-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I came back out here again, because I couldn't sleep, and was really worried, upset, the whole bit. Your posts really do help. I do think Ginger and Taz will be friends, I purposely picked out a dog that is similar to the ones she picks for friends. I just have to be patient and let them move at their own speed, I guess. Ginger isn't happy with me, but there were two occasions since Taz arrived when we shared a few special moments together.

K9karen
06-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Does this make me the #1 single dog owner now?
Wow! Congratulations Joyce! I have to admit, I was shocked because you feel a lot like I do. I'm SO happy for you! Taz is an adorable, handsome boy! It's OK, Ginger, mommy will always love you to pieces!

Riptide
06-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Huge congratulations on the new addition, Taz certainly is a handsome little man. I'm sure the three of you will get along great.

I was a bit sad when I was bringing him home and I realized that it will no longer be just my baby and me. Is it alright to feel that way?

Of course it's alright to feel that way. It's not an easy thing letting someone else into your life when you & Ginger have been together for so long. I'm sure there will be ups and downs, but I hope you find that our furry friends are often just as willing to open up their hearts to something new as we are. I'm sure the three of you will be inseperable within a few weeks' time :)

Pam
06-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Yes, Pam, he is a Joisey boy through and through. I found him at the Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees yesterday, when I stopped on a whim while driving home from Animal Orphange on a totally unrelated matter (buying tickets to one of their fundraising events). He is 8 years old and was turned in by his family because of "conflicts with their other dogs." I have no idea what that could have been, he is unbelievably good.

Joyce you may recall that is how I found Ripley - stopping in at a shelter for a completely different reason! That is amazing!

As someone who has always owned two dogs at a time, I can tell you that I do understand your concern when introducing dog #2. It is only natural and of course you and Ginger have been a duo for quite some time now. I feel that all will work out just fine. You were wise to select a dog that looks like those she searches out for play. I think in the long run Ginger will thank you for giving her a little brother. That's exactly what I did - gave Bella a little brother! Our stories are so similar. :) Please do keep posting lots of pictures and stories about your two.

Oh, and don't be surprised if he attempts to mount Ginger at some point. Ripley did that with Bella in his first 15 minutes in my house! :o She simply sat down. :)

chocolatepuppy
06-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Ginger isn't happy with me,

That will change Joyce. It does hurt your heart though to think you upset her. But soon, when they are enjoying each others company, you will see how happy Ginger is.:)

Ginger's Mom
06-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Oh, and don't be surprised if he attempts to mount Ginger at some point. Ripley did that with Bella in his first 15 minutes in my house! :o She simply sat down. :)
It's funny you should mention this, Pam. Ginger's favorite creatures in the world are small male dogs, but of course they all try to mount her. One of the first things I noticed when we took Ginger and Taz to the pen to meet each other was that he did not try to mount her. I took that as a very good sign, since she is so timid, he wasn't going to be real dominant with her. It's funny with all of my fears and worries, he really is very special boy. I cannot believe anyone could give him up.

but I hope you find that our furry friends are often just as willing to open up their hearts to something new as we are.
Thank you for saying that, Kristen. I think it is why i love dogs so much; I am always amazed at how forgiving and loving they are. But, I think I really needed to hear someone say that.

Well, Ginger has a Barbeque/Birthday party to go to today. Taz is invited, too (I took him over their house last night and he got along fine with their dogs), but I am thinking of just taking Ginger. There will be plenty of opportunity for her to share her special friends with him in the weeks to come, I thought maybe just one more party with them by herself would make us both feel better.;)

Freedom
06-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Such a handsome fella has joined your family! I LOVE these photos of him, and I do hope you will take lots more photos of your fur kids for us to enjoy!

Siblings . . . I was 8 years old when my baby brother arrived. Until then, I was IT! I wanted a BIG SISTER, and what did I get? A little brother who was "supposed" to be a birthday present and arrived a day late! :rolleyes: (I should have taken that as a sign, but that is another story, te hee.)

Growing up we had my dog, Princess, from about 4 months old. When she was 12 or 13, and had some old age issues, my grandpa died, and I brought his dog Samantha to our home (didn't even talk it over with my folks). Well, Princess sat out in the front room and refused to even come in the house for 2 weeks. We all felt badly, even though we knew Sammie needed us as well. We spent time "visiting" with Princess and trying to coax her in, to no avail. Finally we couldn't keep THAT up and just went about our lives. And Princess got herself back into family life so she could get all her petting. We made sure to dote on her whenever she showed us ANY interest. It worked. At the end of the first month, the 2 girls would trot about the house, the yard, anywhere else side by side. As Princess continued to age, Sammie would be the one to tell us when the water bowl was empty. One of us would fill it, and Princess would be the one who drank! Stuff like that happened a lot in the last 2 years of Princess's life (she lived to almost 17).

Time will tell what type of relationship Ginger and Taz will have. I can only say it will amaze you!

God bless for taking in a senior pup.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I can't believe I didn't see this last night. Congratulations! I'm sure Ginger and Taz will be friends in no time. Mine don't usually like newcomers too much for the first few days (Winston takes a couple months), but eventually they get over it. :)

Taz_Zoee
06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I saw this last night, but wasn't logged in on my nieces laptop yet. I couldn't wait to post a big WELCOME to Taz!! :D I think that's three active Taz's we have now....two cats and one dog. :)
Anyway, I completely understand what you are going through about bringing another dog into the family. I am feeling the same way about bringing Paizly home. I am hoping Taz will accept her. He's pretty adaptable when it comes to dogs, so I'm hoping a new kitty sister will be okay.

Well, your Taz is just such an adorable little guy. I am so glad you found him and gave him a loving home. Do you know how long he had been there before you got him?

Casper
06-29-2008, 12:17 PM
My goodness, he has one of the happiest faces I have seen in the first picture! He is such a cute, hunky little guy. He sure does love that window, eh?

When I read that he was 8 years old it put a huge smile on my face. I love, love, love older dogs and I love it even more when they get adopted from shelters.

Oh, I cannot forgot to say Congratulations!

Give them both some kisses from me, will you? :)

Katelf
06-29-2008, 02:19 PM
A wonderful new addition to your home. I know you and Ginger will never regret this :) Taz is a beautiful boy! :love:

vinjashira
06-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Congratulations for the new addition to your family.
Welcome to PetTalk, Taz! :)

Varga
06-29-2008, 07:52 PM
He is adoreable. Many congrats to you and Ginger :)

And I also have to say that I can definitely understand your concern about Ginger. If it wasn't for the fact that Taggart came dumping into my life like he did and instantly made himself at home, I would probably never have gotten a second dog. I had thought about it several times but Tiki was already getting old and she has never been the type who appreciates the company of other dogs, so it just seemed like too big a risk.

Tiki can be pretty bossy, so for me it was the other way around as far as dominance goes. She was the one that humped Taggart and showed him who's boss :o And him being the gentleman he is, never once questioned that. Even now, if I don't watch them, he will willingly give up his rawhide when Tiki decides that both of them belong to her XD

Ginger's Mom
06-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Thank you very much everyone for the kind words and encouragement. For those of you who commented on his age. When we initially started our search I decided that we wanted to rescue a senior boy, because seniors would be harder to place, and that some medical conditions/care, would be alright. Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the small dogs all found dogs very quickly no matter what special needs they had. Taz was at the shelter about two weeks before I went in, but he had two things going against him. He wasn't on Petfinder (well he was but no picture and no facts, just his name and chihuahua mix), and he was in a run with a very nasty chihuahua. So no potential adopters gave him a glance. Bad for him, good for me. ;)

Even now, if I don't watch them, he will willingly give up his rawhide when Tiki decides that both of them belong to her XD
Ah Taggert, now I know why I am so crazy about you, handsome and a gentleman.:)
Actually this really made me laugh I have a very funny story about my RB girl with a similar ending. Gotta love those gentleman pups.

luvofallhorses
06-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Congratulations, Joyce! :) Taz is such a cutie pie. :) and yes it's alright to feel that way. :) Best of luck to you all. :) I am sure Ginger & Taz will be able to get along fine, it will take some time but I am sure they'll get used to each other. :) :)

anna_66
06-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Oh Joyce, I'm so happy for you and Ginger! Glad to hear that you've found the senior boy you've been looking for:D

I hope things work out wonderfully between everyone!

And as for not being happy about an addition...Huney could NOT stand Bon. She wanted nothing to do with him for weeks and avoided him like the plague. Now they're very great friends:)

Alysser
06-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Congratulations on the new addition, Joyce! Taz is a cutie. I am sure he will be a great addition to your family!

Flatcoatluver
06-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Taz is so precious, and he looks like he has such a great personality.

I know how you feel, I cried the first day I got Sage, because I felt as if I was replacing Zoey, but I learned to work 3 dogs in the family, and can't think about being without Sage. I am sure you will feel the same way soon!

krazyaboutkatz
06-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Congrats!!!:D Taz is adorable and I'm sure that in time he and Ginger will be best friends.:)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-30-2008, 08:16 AM
He is a cutie pie. Given a bit of time to adjust I just know that Ginger is going to love her brother

lizbud
06-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Oh wow, where have I been the last few days that I didn't see this
announcment before? Taz is such a cutie.:) Welcome little guy.:) I think
it's probably normal to feel a little conflicted doing something new and
different, but I'm so glad this seems to be working out so well.

jennielynn1970
06-30-2008, 09:06 AM
What a cutie Taz is! He reminds me of my friend's dog she had growing up named Tinkerbelle. She was a Chi/Fox Terrier mix. Sweet as anything, and smart as a whip!

I'm sure that Ginger will come around in due time. They just need to get to know one another better. I'm sure Taz is so grateful for being given a 2nd chance. Poor guy being given up at 8yrs old. That's just sad. I've got a special place in my heart for senior and special needs shelter pets.

Bless you for taking him in, and I know he will make you so happy and you'll look back on this and wonder what all the fuss was about, lol!

pitc9
06-30-2008, 09:36 AM
What a cutie!
Congrats on your new addition!

Just give them time, and everything will be okay!
WELCOME TO PT TAZ!!!

Ginger's Mom
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your support and understanding. Although I do still have moments of panic (like at 4:30 this morning) things really do seem to be working out nicely. This morning while I was getting ready for work Taz went over to sniff Ginger, and for the first time she did not get up and walk away from him. Yay!!! She stayed on the bed for a little bit longer last night than the night before. So, it really is getting better. Although when we go out on our walks and Ginger sees one of her two-legged friends she goes over and asks them if she can go home with them. :rolleyes:;):D

I know he will make you so happy and you'll look back on this and wonder what all the fuss was about, lol!

I am beginning to think you are right. :D I hope so anyway.

MoonandBean
06-30-2008, 11:42 AM
OMG..........I'm just catching this thread now! I haven't been on this weekend. Congratulations!!!! Will Taz have a dogster page? I'm off to check :)

WELOVESPUPPIES
06-30-2008, 12:18 PM
OMGosh!! A new baby! How wonderful for you. All your worries will melt away as I am sure they are starting too with seeing Ginger warming up. For some dogs it is a slower process and other will immediately love the new addition. I had the same fears when I brought Chopper home, I had very mixed feelings about Duke. Duke is my heart dog! I worried that he would think I did not love him any more or would be angry and nasty towards Chopper out of being "hurt" as he was not the center of all attention. I know we already had Champ but Duke is just so attached to ME and Champ, well she loves everyone equally.

Before you know it they will be best of friends and you will look back and wonder how you ever lived without him. He is a handsome fella, shame on his previous owners for dumping him....but blessed you for being his hero, bringing him home and giving him love.

Please give both your pups a treat and some belly rubs from me.

Pam
06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
This morning while I was getting ready for work Taz went over to sniff Ginger, and for the first time she did not get up and walk away from him. Yay!!!

YAY! Progress already! Baby steps! Oh Joyce please don't hesitate to keep us updated on the two of them and of course pictures are ALWAYS welcome! ;)

It is a real mind boggler why anyone would give the little guy up. Their loss for sure!

Rachel
06-30-2008, 05:12 PM
This is a wonderful surprise, but I do think that I saw it coming. My only regret is that we weren't all there with you when it happened. Did you do any documentation in pictures?

Taz is going to make a wonderful addition to your family. As for Ginger, let me assure you that even those who would actually prefer to be an only child can eventually come around to appreciate the benefits of having a brother. (Right, Hannah?)

Now what you have to do is quit feeling guilty, upset, and whatever else is going through your soul. You know this isn't going to change how you feel about Ginger and that in the long run her life will be enriched. Just think, she has someone with her while you are at work. That will turn out to be a big bonus.

You know how dogs pick up on your feelings? Like when you leave and if you make a big deal about saying goodbye, how that can be counter productive? You need to present the new addition as a positive thing in both your lives and not overcompensate like you've done something wrong. Make it normal and she will pick up on this too being a normal thing. No, life isn't going to be the same. It is going to be a bit more hectic and more work and more expensive and yet, I'll bet my bottom dollar that you (and Ginger) are not going to regret this decision.

Had to come back to add that Taz couldn't be any cuter. I think you picked out a real gem.

Ginger and Taz are going to form their own relationship and it may not be exactly what you wanted for them but it will be what they both need based on their personalities. Hannah and Tucker have never been the kind to play together, but when I see them sitting side by side (attached at the hip) I know they have a bond. Hannah can be a bit high and mighty with Tucker and he just takes it in stride. She loves being the boss of someone and it's not going to be me. Tucker just adores her, despite all the attitude. In the final analysis, it wasn't exactly the kind of relationship I expected or wanted for them but it's the one they have developed and can appreciate.

ramanth
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Congrats!! Welcome to PT Taz. :)

You know... I had the same feeling of trepidation when we brought Chipper home. Some days I miss it just being me and Kia, but in the end, adding him to our family was the best thing ever. :)

Ginger's Mom
06-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you very much, Rachel, I really do think that you are one of the wisest people on this board. And I think you made several very good points. Also, Hannah is one Ginger's favorite pups on the board so if Hannah says brother's are alright, she says she can learn to live with it too. ;)

Thank you Pam, Tracie and Kimmy. I think we made some more progress all the way around today. He is feeling braver, and Ginger is starting to push a little more for what she wants. So they aren't hiding from each other as much. :)

Rachel
07-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Now your mission is to get some pictures with both of them in the shot. :p

Ginger's Mom
07-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Hmm, I think I will need to purchase a wide angle lense to do that. :D

4 Dog Mother
07-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Oh, how wonderful that you have added a 2nd dog! Taz is so handsome. I am sure Ginger will come around and they will become great friends. Believe it or not adding a 3rd, 4th, 5th and even 6th dog feels the same way. Will the others feel I love them less? Do they feel I am replacing them with this new dog? Did I just make a huge mistake because I have upset the balance between the ones I have? Pippi and Dazzi got into some fights over Tucker - I don't have a clue to why except Pippi didn't want anyone around him. Whether she was trying to mother him or just keep him to herself I dont' know. Jack and Taggert didn't like him because he wanted to play and they didn't - he still bites at their legs going in and out the door and infuriates them. I can't say any of mine are strongly attached to any of the others --not like Amy's 3 or Christy's 3 or Phred's 2 etc. but they all get along and seem to have a lot of fun together. I think we will always have 2 because it really seems to help having a companion.

When we got Taggert, neither Oreo (who was then 12) or Dazzi (who was 2) seemed to have the energy to keep him out of trouble. So I told everyone when we got Snoopy, that I got Taggert a new toy. And Snoopy and he played so much that it seemed like a great idea. Until I found out that Snoopy had more energy than Taggert, Dazzi and Oreo put together. Keeping him happy was a real trick!

I don't think you will regret this decision - even if they don't become extremely close they will still be good companions for each other and you. Just give it some time - it took at least 2 months for everyone to accept Tucker (of course Tucker was only 11 weeks old and very annoying to the others). So your transition will go better.

shais_mom
07-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Does this make me the #1 single dog owner now?
Wow! Congratulations Joyce! I have to admit, I was shocked because you feel a lot like I do. I'm SO happy for you! Taz is an adorable, handsome boy! It's OK, Ginger, mommy will always love you to pieces!

nope!
there's always me! :D
And I'm sure I'll stay that way - Keegan doesn't like to share mommy, and other factors come in as well but we are happy.
but I'm THRILLLEDDDD for Ginger, Mom and Taz - :) whoo hoo- what a cutie and I'm sure you made the right decision. Kudos and HUGS to you! :D
looking forward to hearing more about Taz and Ginger.

Daisy and Delilah
07-01-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm just seeing this, Joyce!!! I'm so excited for all of you!! Taz is adorable. Welcome to PT, Taz!! I love you!!! Congratulations!!! My girls are ecstatic too. Please give that gorgeous Ginger and that adorable Taz some kisses from us.:):):)

After reading the whole thread, I decided to comment more. Joyce, you always sound so much like me anyway but your emotions are right on with this. I know how you feel and what you're going through every day. I think Ginger will come around and grow to love her brother. You are such a great person for taking little Taz. I love this story. It is so much like mine and Delilah's.
I hate to sound stupid and forgive me if this has been covered but......Taz is a Chihuahua , right? How much does he weigh? He looks like Delilah's size.

k9krazee
07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Congratulations, Taz is ADORABLE!! :D

jazzcat
07-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm just now seeing this, Congratulations!!!! Taz is a cutie. I've never had to introduce two dogs but I've had my share of cat/cat and cat/dog intros over the past 6 years and I know it can be a bit stressful but it sounds like things are going well. Ginger is a great dog so I'm sure she and Taz will end up great friends.

I'm so happy for you!!:)

Ginger's Mom
07-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Thank you so much for all of the good wishes. And I really enjoy hearing the experiences of others who have added dogs to their household, it certainly helps to hear others stories. :)

Rachel
07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Like D & D said, *I love this story!* and I've had to come back several times to look at those precious pictures and see if there are any updates (hint, hint).

gemini9961
07-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Congrats Joyce, he is super cute. It looks like he is fitting in nicely and will make a great addition. I was scared adding more pups after Sadie but I love them all and they are well adjusted. They each have their quirks but they are special that way.

boomersooner
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Cassie is not wild about Boomer at all....We are just taking it very slowly because in our case, she is an old lady at 14 and he is an unruly, obnoxious puppy! We are afraid they will hurt each other so we are just taking it day by day. Actually, yesterday, Boomer was on his leash but Cassie actually stood by him and tolerated him sniffing her and such. She even relaxed enough to sit down next to him...just baby steps!!! It may take some time but everyone will adapt! I have faith!

Ginger's Mom
07-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Like D & D said, *I love this story!* and I've had to come back several times to look at those precious pictures and see if there are any updates (hint, hint).

Okay, an update. :D Things are going well. Ginger really doesn't seem to be mad at me at all any more, and is back to acting pretty much normally. YAY!!! Ginger and Taz are co-existing just fine. Not really much interaction between the two, but nothing negative either; no fights/anger/defensiveness.

Ginger is a burier. If I give her a chew-chew she doesn't want she will "bury" it in a couch cushion or corner. I told her when we were looking for a companion that the new dog may find and eat her treatsies. Last night I handed out chew-chews and Taz "buried" his behind his bed. A few minutes later Ginger wandered over there. Taz immediately jumped off my lap, I didn't know if he would go after her or what. He didn't. :D He just stuck his little head under her's grabbed his chewie and went into the other room. They are really both so non-aggressive, laid back dogs, I can't imagine any real problems.

I have also learned that Taz does know how to play. I pulled out a loofah dog, and he loves it. :D He is so cute playing with it. :D Any way I also have a few more pictures to add. Here he is with his Bobo.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz029Small.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz032Small.jpg

And my attempt to get Taz and Ginger together...LOL.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz021.jpg
Don't they look happy? I know their couch is very dirty. I will clean and throw a new throw on it tonight.
A few more in the next post.

Ginger's Mom
07-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Also, I have some pictures from the party this weekend. Taz was a very good boy. He was around about 30 people and four dogs he didn't know, and he was a star. We actually put him in the pool for a quick dip because it was so hot. So he is a bit wet in this pictures. :)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/JensParty6-29-08030Small.jpg
Trying to dry off. lol
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/JensParty6-29-08033Small.jpg
Hoping that if he smiles nicely he will get some hamburger
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/JensParty6-29-08023Small.jpg
One of the little girls asked if she could give Taz a carrot. He loved it.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/JensParty6-29-08019Small.jpg
Taz says thanks for all of the welcomes and good wishes.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/gingerjoy/MeetTaz028Small.jpg

Pawsitive Thinking
07-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Told you everything would be okay ;)

Pam
07-02-2008, 07:12 AM
I am rushing this morning and really shouldn't even be on Pet Talk, but I had to check this thread. :) Thank you so much for the updates and pictures. What a cutie patootie Taz is!! He is blending in with Ginger even better than could be expected at this point. I loved the little story about the chewie. That was a very good "test" to see how well they will "share" and they both passed with flying colors! Ripley has done exactly the same thing with Bella. Bella is very laid back, and from what you say about Ginger she is too. It sounds like a perfect match. Congratulations to you for choosing just the perfect "little man." :cool: I continue to be amazed that someone gave him up! :eek: Had he been at the shelter very long? I am thinking you must have snatched him up pretty quickly and he couldn't have found a better home!! ;) :cool:

boomersooner
07-02-2008, 07:27 AM
That is wonderful!!! Everyone knew everything would be okay!! Sometimes it just isn't immediate. Taz and Ginger look like they are very happy together! I love the pics of Taz and his "bobo". Boomer has a blue one, and I saw in her signature that MoonandBeam's Sunny has a pink one!! Must be a happenin' toy!

pitc9
07-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Yippeeee!!
The pictures of him at the party say it all!
HE BELONGS!!! :D

4 Dog Mother
07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
It certainly looks like things are going to be a-okay! Taz is a little cutie and Ginger sounds so sweet that I think things will continue to get better and better between them.

I also thank you for adopting Taz because a lot of people would have overlooked him because of his age. It is nice to know that someone was caring enough to adopt an older dog.

cassiesmom
07-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Yay, Ginger and Taz! Ginger, way to be a big sis. Taz, I don't believe I've ever met a dog before that liked carrots! Ginger and Taz, I hope you get a yummy bite of hamburger as a treat, or a delicious dog treat, on the Fourth of July. Please ask your mom to give you both some petting for me!

shais_mom
07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
great pics! :D
I'm so happy things are going well! :D

cyber-sibes
07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear Taz & Ginger are getting along, that's great. They will become better friends in time, in a few months they'll be running around together & you'll wonder how you ever got along with only one! :D

PS- Jack is a carrot maniac. He runs out doors with his mini-carrots
and you'd think I'd gave him prime rib!

lizbud
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I hate to sound stupid and forgive me if this has been covered but......Taz is a Chihuahua , right? How much does he weigh? He looks like Delilah's size.

Thought I would repeat D & D's question because I was wondering too.:)

I was trying to think back to when Maggie joined me & Smokey, but it seems
so long ago. Seems like she has always been here.:D I was concerned at
first also, but their personalities meshed perfectly from the start. It does
seem like Taz & Ginger will be, if not friends, great companions for each other.

Taz_Zoee
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Awww, I'm so glad Ginger and Taz are getting along. They look very cute together on the couch. :D
Taz is so adorable. Now you've got two of the cutest dogs!!! :D :D

Cinder & Smoke
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't believe I've ever met a dog before that liked carrots!

WHAT?? :confused:

I'm not sure I've ever met a Dog that :eek: DIDN'T like carrots!

Or, at least 'developed a taste' for 'em.
Smokey needed the old "If you don't eat your carrot, I will!" lesson from Cinder -
after watching her steal his 'rejected carrots' a couple times, he quickly developed
a taste for them! Even BOWSER, rest his Fluffy Soul, always took his place in the Carrot Line.

:D

Ginger's Mom
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Thought I would repeat D & D's question because I was wondering too.:)

I was trying to think back to when Maggie joined me & Smokey, but it seems
so long ago. Seems like she has always been here.:D I was concerned at
first also, but their personalities meshed perfectly from the start. It does
seem like Taz & Ginger will be, if not friends, great companions for each other.

Oops, sorry lizbud, I pm'd the girls. :D We are calling Taz a chihuahua mix We don't really know what he is mixed with, and he kind of just looks like a big chihuahua. I weighed the little man on Sunday morning and he weighed 10 pounds. I think he looks a little thin, but some may call him just right. But in any case I am fairly certain he will gain some weight in my house. ;) Actually, we were hoping he would help Ginger and I work off a few of our extra pounds. :)

I also quoted your whole post because I wanted to respond to your last sentence. All of this started last August when I had Ginger read by Nancy. One of my questions was, is she lonely, and would she like a canine companion while I was at work all day. It was very cute, because Nancy said she was very excited about the prospect of getting a companion, and didn't want to move on the the next questions/issues that we had. :) So it took me a couple of months to convince myself that I was was ready to take on the additional responsiblity, and then about six months to find the right little guy. I know that mostly what will happen when Taz earns his freedom is some minor chasing (three times around the condo) twice a day, looking to each other for support during walks, and maybe sharing the loveseat in the sunroom (but not too close together) when I'm not home. That is mostly what Ginger is looking for in a companion, and Taz seems to be happy to do just that, and then spend the rest of his time cuddling with me or playing with his Bobo. So yes, I think companion is the right word. And I think this little guy is going to be a great one. :)

Thank you so much again everyone for the support and stories. :)

Rachel
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Okay, an update. :D

Ginger is a burier. If I give her a chew-chew she doesn't want she will "bury" it in a couch cushion or corner. I told her when we were looking for a companion that the new dog may find and eat her treatsies. Last night I handed out chew-chews and Taz "buried" his behind his bed. A few minutes later Ginger wandered over there. Taz immediately jumped off my lap, I didn't know if he would go after her or what. He didn't. :D He just stuck his little head under her's grabbed his chewie and went into the other room.

:DOh happy day. A cute story and pictures. It doesn't get any better than that. :D I guess what strikes me in the picture of the two of them together is that Ginger isn't as big a dog as I thought she was. You said Taz weighed 10 lbs. Is Ginger willing to devulge her weight?

Ginger's Mom
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Is Ginger willing to devulge her weight?
:o Ginger was 40 pounds exactly when we went to the vet's a couple of weeks ago. In all honesty she should probably be more like 32 pounds, so she has some weight to lose; hopefully Taz can help us with that.

Daisy and Delilah
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Great pictures, Joyce!!! Delilah loves her collection of loofahs more than anything:) He looks adorable with his. Does he love the squeaker? I ask Delilah if that doggie has a queaker(without the s) and she performs for me right away. She finds the "queaker" and squeaks it a million times, very proud of herself. She has a pink, blue, red, and Santa(green) loofah:)

In the picture of both of them......Taz has Daisy's "dirty look" face on :) I am loving this new addition to your family almost as much as you are:) Taz reminds me of both of my girls mixed together:D He has Delilah's love for playing and Daisy's "Chihuahua Persona" down pat.

Giselle
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM
OHH Congratulations!!! It's scary, but it's oh so fun and rewarding!!! Congrats!! :D

3muttsandaboston
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
He could very well be a purebred chihuahua. My sister's girl is 15 pounds and she is pure bred (although from a byb). He doesn't look like he has anything else in him. He is cute!

chocolatepuppy
07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
How nice to hear things are going well with Ginger and Taz!:D

krazyaboutkatz
07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm so glad that Ginger and Taz are doing so well together.:) It sounds like you picked the perfect companion for Ginger.:)

K9karen
07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
What an inspiration for me, Joyce! Right now my life is too full for another dog, but, hey, ya never know!

Thanks for the lovely pictures of Taz! I'm thrilled he had such a good time and was such a STAR! He's adorable! Yay that he and Ginger are getting along so well!!! :love:

Ginger's Mom
07-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Things truly are getting better every day. :) One of the things that really bothered me, made me feel sad/guilty, was that Ginger wasn't getting any cuddle time. Everytime I tried to touch her, pet her, make a fuss over her, Taz would get between us and jump in my face. He now has seemed to learn that Ginger gets cuddle time, too, and sits nearby and watches. As soon as I am done he jumps in, which is fine. It is such a relief. :)

I was worried about bringing in a new dog and Ginger losing her cuddle time. Thanks Denise and Pawsitive Thinking. :) I contacted Denise in a panic a few weeks ago when I thought I had found a dog and asked her to do a reading on Ginger to make sure that she was ready to give up her cuddle time and possibly her hidden treats. Denise did in fact do a reading and said that Ginger had a very generous nature that was ready to welcome and accept a new friend. Without your help Denise I am not sure I would have had the courage to go through with this. You were right, she is fine. :D

Rachel
07-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Have you noticed how many hits this thread is getting? I think that is a testament to how well loved Ginger is around here and how excited so many of us are about the idea of an addition to your little family.

Just remember you are the Top Dog of your pack. Seems like everybody is willing to accept that and get the idea that you decide what goes.

Pam
07-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Have you noticed how many hits this thread is getting? I think that is a testament to how well loved Ginger is around here and how excited so many of us are about the idea of an addition to your little family.

Just remember you are the Top Dog of your pack. Seems like everybody is willing to accept that and get the idea that you decide what goes.

Rachel hit the nail on the head with that statement. We are all so happy to read the updates on your little extended family. Initially Ripley also tried to wedge his way into my cuddle sessions with Bella but he learned and it sounds like Taz is learning too. It is just like teaching young children to share, no matter what the object! :p

Pawsitive Thinking
07-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Without your help Denise I am not sure I would have had the courage to go through with this. You were right, she is fine

My pleasure :love:

4 Dog Mother
07-03-2008, 08:36 AM
After reading over some of the posts again, Joyce, I think it is great that you did your "homework" before you brought another dog home. That you tried to get an idea of what type of dog Ginger seemed to be most comfortable with, that you had the reading done by Denise and you spent time looking around for that special dog. I think that is what is going to make this work. Good job!