PDA

View Full Version : Chippie!

Karen
06-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Our suburban chipmunks are certainly different than their wilder cousins, and far bolder! This guy sat on one of the granite cobblestones on the wall at the end of our driveway long enough for me to see him, tell Paul, go back in the house and get his camera, then for him to take several photos.

Here's the best one:

http://petoftheday.com/online/paul/Chipmonk.jpg

and then, once Paul took one step too close, he ran to the side to "hide" behing some grass, stood up on his back legs and YELLED at Paul!

I never get photos of the wild chipmunks - they are quick to skitter away, but not this guy! Isn't he beautiful, and a healthy-looking guy/gal?

caseysmom
06-28-2008, 05:12 PM
When we camp at Lake Tahoe those little guys will jump in my car while we are unloading and they are generally pretty agressive beggars!

Karen
06-28-2008, 05:31 PM
When we camp at Lake Tahoe those little guys will jump in my car while we are unloading and they are generally pretty agressive beggars!

Wow! Never heard of a chipmunk doing that! I guess our chippie is just midway on the boldness scale after all!

Moesha
06-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Well hello there cute little chipster!

boomersooner
06-28-2008, 05:44 PM
I know an older couple who were on a car trip either to Yosemite or Yellowstone....can't remember which. Anyway, they had a bag of chips in the car they had been snacking on while they were sightseeing. The next morning they get in the car and leave...traveling down the highway at 70 mph, and two chipmonks jump out of the bag of potato chips! Needless to say, they were both startled to death! Luckily, they didn't have an accident. They figure the chipmonks must have come in up through an AC vent or something. I don't see them where I live, but they must be pretty bold. We have just have squirrels who think they are half human.

Laura's Babies
06-28-2008, 05:53 PM
What an adoreable little guy!

Russian Blue
06-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I love chipmunks! They are one of my favourite animals to photograph at the cottage since they are such characters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/Chippy222.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/Chippy333.jpg

And this one wanted to be left alone while he ate his peanuts. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/ChippyBack.jpg

boomersooner
06-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Are they not just precious!!! Reminds me so much of Chip and Dale with those cheeks full of nuts!!

K9karen
06-29-2008, 12:15 AM
I had a wild conversation with a chippie who stood no more than 2 feet away from me as I was sitting on the front porch. Really bold.

When I was in grammar school, I left peanuts outside for a local squirrel. It got to the point that "Bushytail" came when i called her and even sat on my shoulder! She would scare my mother to death when she climbed up her leg into her apron pocket when she was hanging clothes outside! I could hand feed her too, My friends couldn't believe it.

I don't think I'd get that far with the local chippie but it really is cute.

Great pictures, Karen. Was it Chip or Dale? :p

Karen
06-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Great pictures, Karen. Was it Chip or Dale? :p

All the chipmunks in my yard are named Chippie! Sometimes there's a Chippie Junior ...

Bengalz
06-29-2008, 12:37 AM
All the chipmunks in my yard are named Chippie! Sometimes there's a Chippie Junior ...

:D:D Chippie has some Canadian cousins ... This is a little guy who became my little shadow in the garden for a couple of years:love: His name was Chipper and yes there were jrs.:D

jennielynn1970
06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
These guys are adorable! I love chippies. Squirrels scare me to death though, lol.

The squirrels in Bethlehem where I had lived were freaking huge, and were so bold! I had loved to buy fresh roasted peanuts at a local store and eat them in a place called God's Acre (it was a Moravian cemetery), and made the mistake of throwing a few peanuts to a lonely squirrel by me. Turns out he was just a decoy for the horde who were ready to invade and carry my bag of peanuts away, lol! I was totally surrounded, screamed and threw the bag of peanuts over my shoulder (where the squirrels attacked it), and I ran home... embarrassing, but true!