PDA

View Full Version : Cover Letters?

Sevaede
06-27-2008, 01:19 AM
I was hoping maybe there might be a few PTers who could lend me a hand in writing a cover letter. :) I've never actually had to write one so I am not sure, exactly, what needs to be on it.

I am applying for a job in a local vet clinic. They want a hand written cover letter. I was just planning on using a template but I cannot find one in either WordPerfect or OpenOffice. =/ Google searches are not revealing much of anything in specific or particular.

catnapper
06-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm currently writing hubby's cover letter as we speak (getting bored of it so I decided to sneak online for a moment)

I can PM you what I have for him and you can tweak it for yourself.

Sevaede
06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Kim, that would be NEATO BURRITO! :D :D

Karen
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes, a cover letter is basically a good spot to very briefly say,

"Here I am, the perfect candidate for this job! I am the one you are looking for, and here's why."

Keep it pithy, friendly and polite. Address it like you would a standard business letter, and give them a reason to look at your resume.

Giselle
06-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Basically, it's about a page or two pages of pure bragging. :D Just don't be obnoxious. I have a lot of fun writing my cover letters. Makes me feel better about myself after all LOL

Catty1
06-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Here is a sample of one cover letter that looks good - I like the structure as it matches what the company wants to what you offer:

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/coverlettersamples/a/sampletarget.htm

Also, I got a really good hint on resumes once - when listing skills, etc, start the sentence with a VERB, ie:

"Managed"
"Operated"
"Trained"
"Helped"
"Communicated"

etc

GOOD LUCK!!!!:D

Sevaede
06-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Thank you soooo much guys! :D Gals, rather, but you know what I mean. heh.

I took a lot of time and wrote several incomplete drafts, then a complete one, and then my finished one. :D I submitted it, along with my resume and list of references, to an animal hospital about a block away. They called me today and want me to come in on Monday for a tour of the facility and such. I am pretty excited. :D

Catty1
06-28-2008, 11:41 PM
WOOHOO! You go, girl!