PDA

View Full Version : Help with sick kitten (not mine) *update #8*

Taz_Zoee
06-26-2008, 09:19 AM
A co-workers daughter has two 8 week old foster kittens and one of them is not doing well. He seems to eat a lot, he doesn't drink excessively, his poop is orange and runny and super stinky (sorry for the description), fur is thinning - but no baldness, and his tummy is hard and swollen.
He has been to the vet and they did one dose of deworm meds. He seems to be as playful as usual.
The other kitty is showing no signs of these ailments, at all.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

catmandu
06-26-2008, 09:39 AM
:(little Kittens Are So Very Vulnerable To Many Things At That Age, Uris , Diarehha And Worms. That Kitten Should In At The Vets At Once, They Can Dehydrate So Quickly , And They Dont Have The Strength To Fight Off Infections.
We Are Praying That Your Friend Is Responsible, And Gets That Little One The Help She Needs So Badly.:(

Laura's Babies
06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I agree, if nothing else, take a stool sample to the vets to be checked out. They are so fragile at that age...

pitc9
06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I agree with taking a sample in for testing.
I don't know about the orange poo, but very stinky poo could mean Coccidia. (sp??)

Medusa
06-26-2008, 12:51 PM
When I first rescued Coco Puff, he had runny, super smelly stools after being dewormed, so the meds could possibly be causing it but I'd take a sample to the vet to be sure. Coco Puff was just a kitten then, too, but I couldn't even be in the room, it smelled so bad, even after disinfecting it.

moosmom
06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Usually with deworming kittens, they require 2 doses of deworming meds, 2-3 weeks apart. Laura's Babies is right though, take a stool sample to the vet. Kittens ARE fragile at 8 weeks.

heidiv
06-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I would definitly get the little one to the vet it doesn't take much time for them to become dehydrated. Chloe had coccidia really bad and I had to take her in 3 times for subcutaneous fluids cause like this little one she didn't drink much fluids. Even if they they are treating it for parasites I would at least get the feces tested again to see if the dewormer is working. And they can then see if the little one is dehydrated. Its DOESN'T take much or very long for them to go down hill fast. And the fact that its orange is unusual. Chloes was a yellowish color from the Coccidia but not orange???I will keep the babY in my prayers....

curcyandmartis
06-27-2008, 09:17 AM
First, let me thank everyone who offered assistance. Cindy kindly posted for me while I was waiting for my own log in to be authorized. All of this on behalf of my daughter who does not have internet access and has only taken over fostering the kittens within the last 2 weeks and grew up with dogs and knows nothing about kitties.

Now for the update. The kitten, Jensen, visited the vet again and was put on Albon. Apparently coccidiosis was considered the culprit. Within just 2 days Jensen is significantly improved. The other kitten, Wendell, is also being dosed with the same medicine. My daughter theorizes that Wendell's symptoms were never as severe as Jensen's because Wendell was raised by his natural mother thus imparting better immunities whereas Jensen was bottle fed during his earliest days.

Both were scheduled for neutering (at 12 weeks) this Saturday but my daughter has decided to wait until they are completely healthy before putting yet another strain on their little bodies.

Once again, thank you, everyone for your advice.

pitc9
06-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Glad to hear that they are doing well!

Catty1
06-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Great news! :)

Any chance of pics??? ;)

Laura's Babies
06-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Great and it is good that she waited until they are healtheir before getting them fixed..

Taz_Zoee
06-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I was thinking about asking for some pictures too. If she doesn't see this I'll have to bug her about it when I get back to work on the 7th. :D
Thank you all for your replies, suggestions and advice.
I always talk about PT and that's why she asked me to make a thread for her. She knew you guys would have ideas. :)

Now that she is a member, maybe she can post some pix of Lillie (the dog) too. I hope I spelled her name right. :p ;)