PDA

View Full Version : WHAT was I thinking? A Minnie story

Cataholic
06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Some of you may recall I have a semi-feral cat that lives beneath my bed, and has for years. Her name is Minnie, she is probably 6 or so by now, goes to the vet rarely, comes out at night sometimes, but, NEVER in the daytime, and totally shuns all human contact. Frankly, I don't think she digs the other 5 cats, either. She is as quiet as a mouse.

Anyhow, I finally figured out the smell of urine was coming from beneath my bed. Now, I don't blame Minnie for this, it is prolly just as much Dakky during his pre-surgery trauma in March as it is Minnie. But, I do find little turds under the bed that I know are positively belong to Minnie. Don't ask how I know they are hers, just trust me on this one.

Anyhow, I finally made the decision to throw out my huge faux-oriental rug. A rug that my mom had bought for me in 1985, when she re-did my room after my freshman year at college. So, the rug truly owed me nothing at this point, but, I didn't want to get rid of it, if I had a choice. I didn't. It stunk.

So, out with the rug, and the pad. I cleaned the floor (all my wood floors were redone two years ago, so, cleaning wasn't a big deal). I decided at that point to "relocate" Minnie, the litter box in my bedroom closet, and the food station in my bedroom. Yep. I was going to move her back down to the basement, thinking she wouldn't mind it much. Are you thinking yet, "what were you thinking"????

So, I moved her down about 12 noon on Friday. She came up within 45 minutes. I moved her again about 4, back up shortly. I moved her down at 10 pm...yep, back up. Like a boomerang. Still thinking, "what are you thinking"????

I had closed the closet door to send the message to ALL cats that the privy was closed on this level. And, when I woke up in the am, Minnie was under the bed, no poop or pee under the bed, and I thought, "Yippee! She might live under the bed, but, she uses the litter box in the basement!"

I then thought, "what ARE you thinking? She obviously wants to live in the bedroom, she HAS lived in the bedroom for years. She needs food/water/box in the bedroom!!!"

So, I open the closet door, I go back down to the basement, get the box, bring it back upstairs, put it in the closet, and think, "wow, I smell urine...and it isn't from the box". I turn around, and see, much to my surprise, Minnie's thoughts about my previous efforts to relocate her.

On. My. Bed. The ONLY thing that makes me feel 2% better about myself is the fact that I had made the decision to reverse my decision BEFORE I found out her true thoughts.

Otherwise, what WAS I thinking?

We are now 5 days post-stupidity, Minnie is living under the bed, with 3 new area rugs, a fresh litter box in the closet, food at her ready, and life with the herd continues.

She is probably amazed at how quickly her hooman was trained!

lvpets2002
06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
:love: See she is a very smart kitty.. She got you trained very fast.. Thats why the saying is "Cats Have Staff"..

moosmom
06-25-2008, 03:33 PM
That's one smart kitty ya got there!! Glad you moved her back in the bedroom mwhere she feels safe.

Randi
06-25-2008, 03:33 PM
That was a bit too optimistic, wasn't it! :D At least, now you know for sure that the bedroom is where she wants to stay.

Sorry abut your rug - I hope your bed didn't get ruined too.

Cats are experts training humans. ;)

kimlovescats
06-25-2008, 03:45 PM
I have one thing to say ... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? :D;)
So, if you moved her, then you can pick her up?

Cinder & Smoke
06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
I decided at that point to "relocate" Minnie,
the litter box in my bedroom closet, and the food station in my bedroom.
Yep. I was going to move her back down to the basement,
thinking she wouldn't mind it much.

:D

Seems like she DID "mind it" ... quite a bit! :p

Welcome back "Home", Minnie!

;)

jasonjuicer
06-25-2008, 05:21 PM
That's quite the story!

Laura's Babies
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
May I ask a dumb question? WHAT were you thinking?! :eek:

May I suggest using those pads like I put down for Amy? I get a BIG box of them at Sams for under $30, 120 of them and they are BIG... Nothing to clean up, just pick up and throw away, easy as pie. She accepts using them now and knows it is ok so now they are her favorite place to "go"... I even have a box I fold one up and put one in and she will use that (until it is dirty), then I turn it over and she uses the other side. For some reason, she will pee on the pads and poo in the litter box.... :rolleyes:

catmandu
06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I WILL HAVE TO TRY THOSE PADS, AS TUBSTER PANTHER HAS A SPOT WHERE HE GOES, ON SOME OLD J CLOTHS THAT I HAVE SET UP FOR HIM, ALTHOUGH IF I PUT HIM IN THE BOX , HE USUALLY GOES.
THERES A BOX UNDER THE CLOTHS, AND THEY ARE RAGS SO THEY ARE EASY TO REPLACE.:cool::love:
WE HOPE THAT ONE DAY YOUR MINNIE WILL RELAX, AND BE MORE SOCIAL.
MY PRINCESS STILL IS NO SOCIAL BUTTERFLY, THE LAST CAT , SHE WAS CLOSE TO WAS MOOSE ANGEL.
AT 17 + I CANT SEE HER CHANGING ALL THAT MUCH,;)
WE HOPE MINNIE WILL SEE THE LIGHT ONE DAY.:cool:

ramanth
06-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Oh dear! Hopefully you won't try to relocate her again. :D

jenluckenbach
06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
:D Love that Minnie! ;)

Cats KNOW what they want!!! :p

Cataholic
06-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Little mins <sigh>

She is, right now, lying on another new rug out in the bedroom, still as a church mouse, darting under the bed if I enter the room.

I can pick mins up, she doesn't likes it though, curling up in a ball, to escape as soon as I lesson my grip.

And she usually uses the box, unless her hooman moves it on her!!!

smokey the elder
06-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Minnie: "Do you MIND?!":D

Vermontcat
06-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I have two things to say:
First of all, WHAT were you thinking?
2nd, What? No pictures?;)

I would guess that Minnie doesn't allow you to photograph her much does she?

I am happy to hear that everything is back where it belongs now just the way Minnie likes it.:)
Samantha is very set in her ways too, she owns the bathroom rug and the shower curtain that she likes to nap under. She battles with my kids over the rug and shower curtain every day when they need to take a shower. ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Minnie 1 Meowmie 0

Barbara
06-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh my. Minnie sure doesn't embrace change:D

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Rotfl !!!