PDA

View Full Version : Rollerblading with Ramone...

Shelteez2
06-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Awhile ago I got it in my head that it would be fun to teach Ramone to pull me on rollerblades. So I did some research of skijoring sites (thanks Glacier!!) and training tips...ordered him a sled dog harness... and yesterday we tried it out for the first time.
I put the harness on him and his prong collar on him. Cam grabbed a leash and hooked it up to the prong. I grabbed a leash and hooked it up to the harness. Cam started walking and I waited until they got the full length of the leash I was holding and I started rollerblading.
At first Ramone was unsure of why I was behind him, but Cam just kept encouraging him to stay beside him. Then he started jogging. Once Ramone settled in to a nice pace beside Cam I stopped helping and just let Ramone pull. It was a lot of fun. I am not the best rollerblader though (I can't stop of my own accord) and when Cam slowed down I went zooming beside them and Ramone did lunge at my blades (we do have some wheel issues). Once I slowed to a stop we let Ramone come up to me. He was frantically sniffing the wheels, but I didn't move. He tried licking the wheels, and I didn't move. He went to nibble on a wheel and I just gave him a verbal "AHHHHHH!" and he backed off.
I took the leash that was attaced to his collar and started rollerblading with him beside me. He did pretty good, but he was screaming and whining and putting up a fuss the whole time. Then Cam took the leash and we got him to pull me home and we ended the session there.

Tonight we went out again. This time we were armed with hotdogs. Cam would lure him along and I let him do more pulling and didn't help out as much. He did really really well. We went around the block twice. Then Cam and I switched. He put his blades on and I put my shoes on. Ramone was a little unsure when he felt more weight, but I just had Cam help him out. He caught on really quick and you could just see him buckle down and throw his weight into the harness. We did another two laps around the block. On the last stretch we stopped. I left Ramone in a sit stay and walked half way down the block. I turned around and called him and he just ran right towards me. I turned and ran the rest of the way home and he just gave it his all... Cam was almost scared at how fast they got going, lol. When he caught up to me I had his hotdogs ready. I caught him and Cam let go of the leash, and shot around the corner, lol.
I think we found a good summer exercise. 4 laps around the block and I have one passed out rottweiler. Woohoo!!! I will try and get some pics and vids during tomorrow's training session. :D

Cinder & Smoke
06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
He did pretty good,
but he was screaming and whining and putting up a fuss the whole time.

I think we found a good summer exercise.
4 laps around the block and I have one passed out rottweiler. Woohoo!!! :D

I think Glacier has mentioned the Husky Sled Dawgs are a bit *noisy* at times. :p

I guess you'll be using the normal "Gee" and "Haw" commands;
but I'm wondering about the "WHOA" part ...
not too sure how well a *Snow Hook* works on asphalt.

Would Ramone consider an internship in the Yukon this winter?

:D

Shelteez2
06-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I think Glacier has mentioned the Husky Sled Dawgs are a bit *noisy* at times. :p

I guess you'll be using the normal "Gee" and "Haw" commands;
but I'm wondering about the "WHOA" part ...
not too sure how well a *Snow Hook* works on asphalt.

Would Ramone consider an internship in the Yukon this winter?

:D

Ramone's screaming and whining was because he wanted desperately to try and bite my wheels, and was frustrated because I was keeping his head up away from them. We are working on his wheel issues... it's just slow going.

Whoa is definitely one of the first commands we will be working on, lol. And we'll be doing the double leash, double person thing for awhile I think.

As for an internship in the Yukon... I say hell yes!!! lol But I don't think Glacier will agree.... ;)

Spiritwind
06-25-2008, 08:21 AM
That sounds awesome!!! We need PICS!! LOL

I used to roller blade and bike (he would pull me on both if I let him LOL) with my very first Collie, Laddie... when he was younger, he loved it!!..

I don't even remember how we got to where he would pull me.. I think it started with me just roller blading with him next to me and he thought that was fun he wanted to go faster than I could... so he started pulling LOL He used to get so into it! I'd tell him "Lets Go" and he would take off running and pulling me.. if I wasn't going as fast as he wanted, he would turn around bark at me, grab the leash in his mouth and run with the leash in his mouth for a few seconds, until he had to let go so he could bark... he barked almost the whole time because he loved it so much!

He loved it... also did biking with him on occasion... never done it with any of the other dogs, I'm sure some of them... Paris probably, would love it!!

pitc9
06-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Heck yeah we need a video!!:D

Way to go Ramone!!