PDA

View Full Version : My Pitbull Experience

BC_MoM
06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
First off, this is a discussion. If this turns into an argument at all... I will just delete the thread. So all you trouble makers just stay OUT.

The Border Collie rescue I work with pulled three dogs last weekend. A BC mix female, a BC mix male, and a purebred Aussie. We couldn't quite pinpoint what we thought the female was. Possibly Staffy/BC; she would make a kick butt flyball dog!

This was her shelter picture:
http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/KY231/KY231.11053195-1-pn.jpg

The shelter had her marked as a BC mix.

Well, last night she arrived in Grand Forks where we met the transport and this is what we got:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/naumko/rana1.jpg

Staffy much? Understandably, it was a little frustrating that the shelter could not tell. We are under BSL here and there was no way we could take her with us.

She was very very sweet and would maul you with kisses. She got along great with the cat. She is very much a puppy, with no dog-on-dog manners yet, but that will come. She was fine with people playing with her food, but she definitely did not appreciate the other dogs messing with it! lol

It made me wary of her around other dogs. She would do the head over the shoulder thing, especially to the female hound that was there. While that behaviour can be found in any breed due to lack of training, the drive in these breeds (which is what makes them awesome!) makes it hard for the majority of people to handle. I would rather take on a handful of BC's than one Staffy... JUST because of the drivey they are! lol

Anyway, so "Rana" is staying in Grand Forks right now with someone who has two touchy dogs because there was no where else for her to go. Hopefully the rescue can find another foster or forever home for her soon... she will be an AMAZING dog for someone who can handle high energy breeds.

And that, my friends, was my first hands on Bully Breed experience.

vinjashira
06-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi, I'm a bit confused.

First of all, she doesn't look like a purebred staffy.
And aren't staffy and pittbull two different breeds anyway? :confused:

Karen
06-23-2008, 12:14 PM
She looks a little fuzzier than either a pitbull or a Staffy - maybe she's 1/8 BC or something. I am glad for you, though, that you were able to quickly assess her personality, and knew that until she gets some training and manners, she'd not be a good foster for you!

Reachoutrescue
06-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Rana is just beautiful! I am sure with proper training she will be a wonderful dog! I sure wish we had room at our shelter, I would take her! Thank you for the wonderful picture!! She is a beauty!

Hi, I'm a bit confused.

First of all, she doesn't look like a purebred staffy.
And aren't staffy and pittbull two different breeds anyway? :confused:
She does look like a staff/BC mix. She probably has more Staff in her though, by the looks of her. Here is some info that shows the difference in Staffs and Pitties. Hope I helped you a bit! :) PBR Central (http://www.pbrc.net/faq.html)

binka_nugget
06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
I can guarentee she's not a purebred Staffy -- There's just no way. She's much fuzzier than a Staffy, has a totally different head and very different body. She looks BC/Staffy to me.. or at the very least 3/4 Staffy, 1/4 BC. :)

3muttsandaboston
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
She definatly looks half pittie and half bc. She is beautiful.

Casper
06-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Haha, I am glad I am not the only one who didn't see her as full blooded.. =D
I agree with everyone that she has a bunch of potential and just needs to fall into the right hands. She certainly is a beauty and looks like a total sweetheart.

Good luck to her, wherever life takes her! :)

Husky_mom
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I too don´t think she´s full blooded... certainly she DOES seem BC/Staff....

and way too cute!!...hope she find a great home....

BC_MoM
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to call her two different things. LOL

I don't really see any Border Collie in her, nor does the main rescue director. There are just no Border Collie traits, looks, anything. She is the prettiest little thing I've ever seen, though!!

Here are the other two we rescued:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/naumko/billie.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/naumko/odie2.jpg

3muttsandaboston
06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to call her two different things. LOL

I can guarantee you all that there is NO Border Collie in her at all. She is the prettiest little thing I've ever seen, though.

Wow looking at her I see almost all border collie and no pittie maybe it's just the picture.

Husky_mom
06-23-2008, 03:14 PM
she really reminds me of Cali´s Misty... or is it Happy... OMG I´m so confused... LOL...anyway she reminds me of her... with the exception this girly right here is a mix... but other than that I totally see BC...

ETA: it was Misty!!.. yay so I wasn´t that bad off..

here´s Misty
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/Misty/Misty2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/BCs%20n%20Toller/l3.jpg

BC_MoM
06-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow looking at her I see almost all border collie and no pittie maybe it's just the picture.

I think the photo, like her shelter, are very deceiving then. I don't think any of you would say that if you saw her in person! She doesn't resemble even a smooth coat BC. LOL She is very short... maybe... 15-17"?

buttercup132
06-23-2008, 04:02 PM
:confused: She is in NO WAY a purebred Staff.
I don't even see staff or pit mixed with her...

I agree she looks purebred she has the same face as the second one you rescued.
I would think more lab/bc or something.

Therefore you shouldn't be mad at the shelter people.
Dealing with rescue you should know how shelters miss label the breeds, some way off.
She is obviously a mix and you can easily call her something else and adopt her out with her adoption papers saying a different breed for the future it shouldn't cause problems.

Spiritwind
06-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I can't decide if I see border collie in her at all... or not. I look at the pics once and think I do, then I look again, and just can't see it... however I don't see much, if any pitt in her either... certianly not a purebred pitt.

Good looking dog though!!

lute
06-23-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't know if I see any BC in her either. If she's smaller possibly JRT/Am Staff?

luvofallhorses
06-23-2008, 07:49 PM
I do not even see pit bull in her or staffy. I see all border collie. She looks to be a total sweetie pie. Why be mad at the shelter if they labeled her wrong? we do our best to do breed guesses but there is NO guarantee we're right where i work!!

Shelteez2
06-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Add me to the list that doesn't see staffy. To me she kinda looks like Glacier's Tehya.

BC_MoM
06-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I see all border collie.

Honestly, no. It was pointless to post a photo - as it is EXTREMELY deceiving. This dog is NOT a Border Collie. She is short, extremely stocky and broadly built, and walks/runs like a bully breed. I am one for a fact that will always consider a dog to be pb BC because of how different they are all, but this dog is most likely NOT a BC, and definitely not purebred.

I wonder if the foster mom can get a video of her...

luvofallhorses
06-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Well sorry but I see NO staffy or pit bull. who cares what she is? I mean since your state/country is under BSL; it's better to be safe than sorry for people taking her from your home or someone's home and having her put down. I hope she gets the best chance possible she looks like a total sweetie pie. :) I am in love with her, she's gorgeous!

please don't be mad at the shelter, they do their best to guess a breed just like we do where I work, nobody's perfect! Again I am hoping the best for this beautiful girl that she gets a wonderful permanent home that she deserves! :) please keep us updated if you can when she finds a home. :)

btw most dogs can be stocky and what not and act like a bully breed. but I am not intentionally saying that she isn't a bully breed maybe it is her picture that throws people off. She's beautiful no matter what breed she is, I wish I could meet her in person. :)

BC_MoM
06-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm going to get more photos of her, hopefully a side shot. Maybe she isn't pure Staffy, but there most definitely is a lot of some type of Bully breed in her!

You are right, though, regardless, she is going to be a great dog with some training. I will certainly post an update when she finds a forever home.

luvofallhorses
06-23-2008, 11:23 PM
I cannot wait to see more photos of her. :) She is absoulutely a stunner. :love: She is gonna make someone very lucky!

Giselle
06-24-2008, 12:16 AM
You know, that JRT suggestion sounds pretty good! Your dog reminds me of Leslie McDevitt's Snap:
http://controlunleashed.net/mcdevitt_snap2.html
According to Leslie (and I think she knew for sure), Snap is a Sheltie/BC/JRT.

Your dog looks maybe a JRT/BC/Pitty.

cali
06-24-2008, 09:33 AM
she looks like a BC/staffy to me. she does remind me a bit of Misty, who BTW has been mistaken for a Staffy/BC because she is short, square and blocky. JRT is possable in that mix too, but BCs DO come in the 15-17 height range, Misty is only 18, I met 1 smooth girl that was 15" max, probably closer to 13-14" and she was a full grown pure BC lol

lute
06-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm going to get more photos of her, hopefully a side shot. Maybe she isn't pure Staffy, but there most definitely is a lot of some type of Bully breed in her!

You are right, though, regardless, she is going to be a great dog with some training. I will certainly post an update when she finds a forever home.

Yes, a side view and some video would help. BTW, the other two dogs rescued are simply adorable!

Pawsitive Thinking
06-24-2008, 09:37 AM
First off, this is a discussion. If this turns into an argument at all... I will just delete the thread. So all you trouble makers just stay OUT.

Well said!

She is a lovely looking little girl

AllAmericanPUP
06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
i dont see any bully breed in her either but i guess it could just be the photo

she just looks like a good ole mutt to me

bckrazy
06-25-2008, 04:59 AM
I definitely see Border Collie... just something in the shape of her face, and in her eyes - regardless of coloring. I know how annoying it is when anyone with a black and white dog assumes it's part BC, but to me, she looks it. The coat would make perfect sense, too.

I think that when Border Collies are mixed with radically different breeds (like Pitties), the BC traits tend to be scarce. I know some one with a confirmed BC x Pittie, some one who knows both of the parents, and his dog looks strikingly similar to that girl! Even less Border Collie-esque, actually. : ) She's super cute, I hope she finds a home soon. And you're awesome for trying to help her. The other boys are adooorable, too! OMG. I LOVE the mix... You aren't far from Cali, are you?

Lori Jordan
06-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I also see alot of Border Collie,It is really hard to distinquish any other breed in her,If you look at any Border Collie thet all look Different.

Look at my Two,Maggy and Stormy look nothing alike,There from two different breeders,But even with the two at both places none of the dogs have the same markings.

THe white face might throw people off,I know it is not "abnormal" for a border collie to have a white face,Some people are not use to that.

BC_MoM
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Here is another photo, I don't know if it's any better though. Apparently Rana attacked one of the foster moms dog, but things are settling down now.

http://i29.tinypic.com/bgr31v.jpg

Believe me, I am used to all sorts of weird purebred Border Collie looks. I've seen some saddle patterned ones that look like GSDs. But this dog is nowhere near purebred Border Collie. If there IS any, I'd say she's 3/4 Staffy, 1/4 BC.

Danegirl2208
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
I really wouldn't say she is a straight border/staffy cross. Looks like there could be something else thrown in there....she really doesn't look all that bully to me actually. And certainly not like a purebred border.

I know Border/Staffy crosses are popular in the flyball world. I've actually seen quite a few of these crosses. This dog doesn't look like any of them honestly. As I said i'd be willing to bet that there is something else thrown in there.

BC_MoM
06-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Okay, we have figured out that pictures of her really ARE deceiving. Apparently everyone who saw her photo thought she was Border Collie until they met her in person. LOL