PDA

View Full Version : $100,000 in cash in my purse yesterday...

sasvermont
08-31-2002, 08:58 AM
I carried $100,000 in cash to the District Court yesterday, to post bail for a client. It was very exciting. I have never seen that much cash at one time. I suppose bank tellers deal with that kind of volume all the time. I had two security guards with me.

Everyone, the lawyers, paralegals, client etc. got on the news TV, but not me. The news reporters said that "a friend" posted bail. I assume they thought I was a friend and not just the courier. I didn't even know the guy, I was just doing my job. The client's sister was the one who came up with the $100,000.

And I wonder if I should grocery shop with this pay check or wait until the next pay! Yikes. (But then I am not having to post bail for myself either!)...

Just thought you folks would get a kick out of my having that kind of money in my purse for oh, about 15 minutes!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sara luvs her Tinky
08-31-2002, 09:57 AM
HA!!!
How much did your purse weigh with all that money in it?!!? :eek:
That is pretty cool!!

Edwina's Secretary
08-31-2002, 11:55 AM
So many questions go through my head....was it in large bills? (as in Tinky's Sara --how much weight?) don't they take checks? what does one have to do to require that kind of bail (it is 10%, right?) and how did the sister get the money to your office?

Kind of fun, huh?

AmberLee
08-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Wow!!! I'm having fun vicariously with this! Thanks for sharing.

Do you often deliver bail money? We want DETAILs!

**ROTFLOL!!** You really didn't think you'd get away with just that statement and no ribbing from the rest of us, didja?!

Thank you for enriching my imaginary life as I vacuum/ dust/ housework today.

gini
08-31-2002, 01:05 PM
Well, I want to know about your purse. Did you go out and buy a new one?

Did you just kind of stuff the money in with your wallet, lipstick, comb, checkbook, etc. I have this funny mental picture of you pulling the money out to post the bail and all of your other personal things come out with $100. bills.:) :)

Aspen and Misty
08-31-2002, 02:03 PM
That would have been so exiting! When I read it I thought you found that much money in your purse and I was like I wish I would open my purse and find that much money! Were the sercruty gurds big guys? Was it fun? Was everyone staring? I woulda been liek thats right, I got lots of money. At least fro teh next 15 misn I do! LOL

Lucky you!

Ash

krazyaboutkatz
08-31-2002, 08:32 PM
Wow! http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/wow1.gif I can only dream about seeing that much money all at once. It sure sounds like it was very exciting. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Rottieluver45
08-31-2002, 10:12 PM
WOW!!!:eek: You must Have felt so powerful!! :D

sasvermont
09-01-2002, 08:11 AM
I would have responded to your questions earlier, but for some reason, all the phone numbers to dial in, were busy!

So here's the deal:

The sister wired the funds from out of state to our Trust Account (Escrow Account) to cover the bail needed to pop her brother out of the slammer for being accused of something he claims he didn't do. Well, the Prosecutors felt differently about who did what to whom and wanted the bail that high, and paid in cash. The judge was surprised about the Cash aspect as well, but was not willing to fight with the Clerk's office where the funds were to be deposited. So, we knew up front that there was a strong possibilty that we would have to come up with cash. I made arrangements with the bank to have $100,000 in $100 bills, ready for the 3PM hearing on Friday. Since the funds had been sent to us earlier in the week, there was no problem with us getting the money. They did, however, have to use my social security number on the bank records, indicating that I took $100,00 in cash and did something with it. I expected to see at least one IRS agent at my door step when I arrived home. No one yet!

We got to the court about 2 minutes late for the hearing even with being wisked through the check points since we were already with security guards.

Anyway, when we arrived at the hearing, the judge asked that I go with the guards to a special room while the two clerks sat and painstakenly counted the money. They were NOT former tellers, and didn't count very fast. I think they were the B Team, left on a Friday afternoon, to mind the fort/court clerk's office. Once they finished I was allowed back in to the bail room, where more papers had to be filled out, but this time using someone's Social Security number. I plan to have all this documented both at the office and a copy for my personal tax records in the event the IRS comes after me. I have a very uncomplicated tax form each year, so if they do audit me, they will fall asleep in the process.

I don't normally do the bail thing. The courts usually accept a Bank Check from our Trust Account, but since the bail was so high and they defendant was from out of state, they wanted to make it difficult for him. Instead, they made it difficult for me! I also think that they wanted him to stay in jail over the long weekend and had figured that no one would have the brains or ability to come up with that much cash at the last minute. Banks don't usually have that much sitting around. Well, the family of the defendant was so appreciative of our efforts and energies expended ..... and hey, it was a bit of fun for us all. Rather dramatic....like TV.... Some of our employees were on TV and I am rather glad I was not.

The bundle was about the size of a small loaf of bread, in a tan bank bag and I didn't see it until we arrived at the Court clerk's office. It didn't weigh that much. Time was so tight to get to the hearing by 3, that I had to waive the counting process at the bank. I also knew that they had counted it earlier in the day and that the court clerks would count it again. My purse will never be the same!

You have to picture me running (jogging) down the street fromt he bank, with the sister, her daughter and husband trailing. We lost the daughter and husband about 1/2 down the street, since we were faster. We tore through a department store (Filene's) and out a back door, across the street to the District Court....we were running to meet the deadline, not to avoid being robbed. No one knew I had the money in my every day purse!

By 4:15, I was back at my desk at the office, doing my usual work. In fact, I haven't thought about it since....until now....

It was exciting......The End!

:D

lovemymaltese
09-01-2002, 12:46 PM
wow, that must have been a weird feeling.

Rachel
09-01-2002, 03:37 PM
I can imagine you were a bit weak in the knees and relieved that it all counted out right. I handle large amounts of money in checks (coming in and going out) and when I balance the books if I've made a mistake and I'm off a couple or ten grand, I don't breath again until I find the mistake.

Ann
09-02-2002, 04:53 AM
WOW! :eek: That equals one million Swedish kronor! That's a frigging lot of money!!

I have one question though... If the guy is found not guilty, will he get those money back? If you said something about this already in your reply, then I'm sorry I missed it cause I have to bike back to school now and just skimmed your last reply. Sorry!

sasvermont
09-02-2002, 06:26 AM
No matter if he is guilty or not, he will get the money back. If he has to pay restitution to the plaintiff, then that will come from the $100,000. The main reason for the money deposit is to make sure the person does not leave town...(the country) and will show up for the next hearing etc. etc.

If he gets the charges reduced to lesser charges, then he will get a portion of the $100,000 returned to him immediately. I wonder if they will pay him in CASH or give him a check. LOL!

anna_66
09-02-2002, 06:37 AM
Did you ever think what you could do with all that $$$$$$$?!!:D

Ann
09-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Oki I get it sasvermont! Thanks for explaining :)

Anna, she might have thought about it for a second, but then she probably remembered the movie Psycho and realized what a bad idea it was! ;)

sasvermont
09-02-2002, 12:07 PM
$100,000 will not go far these days. Maybe $1,000,000 would tempt me. I am not that smart, that I could find a place in this world where no one would find me. I like my little flat and my three cats and my Mom.... You know the drill. I like a dull and calm life. Life on the "road" is too hectic for me!

:)

anna_66
09-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
I like a dull and calm life. Life on the "road" is too hectic for me!

:)

I totally agree:D

Vermontcat
09-02-2002, 07:15 PM
I liked your story sasvermont especially since I know well the streets you were running through!:) Sorry I missed the story on the news.The Sunday paper did mention why you couldn't dial out for most of Saturday afternoon and night, a fire knocked out phones in 8 towns in NE Vt. Something about trimming a tree that fell down on power lines, the fiber optic line and the cable!:rolleyes: