PDA

View Full Version : Marcel Marceau, Mimes, Milk Crates and Moving Furniture.

RICHARD
06-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I think that Ed D Katz has a little mime in him. He does this thing where he’ll sit silently in front of an object waiting for me to figure out what he wants or needs.

I do think that Marcel Marceau may have been reincarnated and I now care for him by cleaning up his poop, watering and feeding him.

For everyone who may not know, Marceau was a famous mime that came from France. He was fun to watch when you were a kid, but a slight tad creepy when you got older…:o

Today I was sitting a few feet from the Edster trying to figure out why he was looking at me, then glancing at a milk crate I have near the kitchen back door. I do my daily writing and brain cleansing while Ed does all the cat things he loves. He has special nap places and little ceremonies that I watch in between paragraphs, sentences and punctuation.

A typical session goes like this…… I write, Ed sleeps, I make noise, Ed wakes up, stretches and goes to snack.

This set of habits baffle me.

He always wakes up and goes to grab a few bites of kibble, gets a drink, grooms and some times goes over to the plastic milk crate to scratch.

I have a collection of mismatched plastic milk cartons that I have collected over the years. These crates are against the law to own or to take from behind the stores or markets- so if you decide to try this on your own remember, it may not be a legal enterprise to acquire them.

Anyway, This one crate I keep by the door to put shoes in, it's a shoe caddy.
It saves me steps when I go out. It’s standing up on end with the open side facing the wall. It’s a handy kind of strange furniture. I use it to put the mail and magazines on when I walk into the room, When I need a pair of shoes I just spin the open side away from the wall, grab a pair, spin it back and I am all set. Ed picked up the habit of using it as a scratching ‘post’ which is perfect! No carpet threads or strings, no mess-aside from the nails he splinters off his claws and it makes a distinct noise, so I don’t
have to see where he is at.

I used to have a cat scratch post that was reduced to threads, I still have a piece of carpet stapled to the inside of the front door to protect the drywall-that didn’t work. This has worked!

About 10 minutes ago, Marcel…ah, Ed was sitting in front of the crate for the longest time. I’d watch him do that kitty-look-over-the-shoulder-I-need-something look at me and go back to staring at the crate.

Being the cat-whispering person I’d like to think I am, It took me about 5 minutes to figure this one out.

I MOVED THE CRATE AND DIDN’T SPIN IT BACK TO IT’S ORIGINAL POSITION!

Dude had snacked, watered and couldn’t set down for his afternoon nap because he could not sharpen his nails on the bottom of the crate, the side that was now facing the wall! Of course he could have used the sides of the crate, but I had to get over there and spin it 180 degrees to get it right for him.

He did take a step back while I righted my wrong and watched the whole process.

He did give me the stink eye before he started to claw! A minute later he was satisfied and curled up for his afternoon nap.

I now have a better appreciation for mimes, furniture moving and what that milk carton means to a very spoiled, but well manicured cat.

Cinder & Smoke
06-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I think that Ed D Katz has a little mime in him.
He does this thing where he’ll sit silently in front of an object
waiting for me to figure out what he wants or needs.

I’d watch him do that kitty-look-over-the-shoulder-I-need-something look
at me and go back to staring ...

OMG!
:eek:

Ya mean poor Boots da Kat was trying to TELL us something all those years?

He did pretty well *miming* to the Dawgs ...
Both he and SmokeMutt had a fondness for the "sauna" - the southern exposure
sliding glass door with the full-length heavy curtain hanging in front of it.

Whoever got there first (often the SmokeMutt) would enter via the center division of the drape,
and then curl up with the curtain providing a cushioning and support function
whilst the morning sun provided warmth, trapped by the curtain.
Smokey could *bake* in there for hours at a time ...

UNLESS ... da KAT wanted a turn in the sauna.
Smokey got the first *hint* when da Kat would mosey up an give the obvious BULGE
at the bottom of the curtain a kitty sized Nose Punch. I often heard Smoke's "Uuumpff".

Da KAT would then take up a position IN the center division of the curtain -
with an *evil eye* focused on Smokey.
What *I* never caught onto was the frequent *evil eye* thrown in MY direction -
a KATly *hint* for me to evict the Mutt from the KAT's chosen spot.
Dumm me.

But da Kat really never needed me --- poor Smokey could only withstand
the Katly Evil Eye for a few moments. He'd always give up with a <deep sigh>
and vacate the sauna to seek a sun spot elsewhere.
And da KAT *ALWAYS* slipped in to occupy the pre-warmed bulge in the curtain!

I guess I just never got to the Mime Chapter in the Kat Manual.

;)

catmandu
06-21-2008, 05:58 PM
SOMETIMES THAT HAPPENS HERE TOO RICHARD , ESPECIALLY PUZZING IF THE LITTER BOXES ARE CLEAN:confused:, THERES FRESH WATER :confused:AND THE BOWLS ARE FULL.:confused:
THEN I KNOW THEYWANT KITTY CUDDLES , AND ALL IS WELL WITH THE WORLD.:love::love:

RICHARD
06-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Check out the Garfield comic for 6/22/08.

I just about pooped me shorts!:D

http://www.gocomics.com/garfield/

jasonjuicer
06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
That's quite the story! I'll make sure to appreciate mimes more also.

aki
06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
it's funny how they have all their little habits. that's cute.

in college we had a whole entertainment center built from milk crates and duct tape. :D

kimlovescats
06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
It sounds like Ed, ummm ... Marcel ... has you well trained!:p