PDA

View Full Version : $185 for a burger at Burger King

Moesha
06-19-2008, 09:30 PM
The English get all the fun!

The World's Priciest Burger: $185
(http://www.forbes.com/2008/06/19/expensive-burger-king-face-markets-cx_je_0618autofacescan01.html?partner=yahoobuzz)
LONDON - Money can't buy you good taste but it can definitely buy you the most expensive burger in the world. Named simply, The Burger, it is selling at 95 pounds ($185) at a Burger King in the exclusive district of South Kensington on Wednesday.

The limited edition of the burger, which can be bought for two days only and has so far sold 50, is challenging the current Guinness Record for the most expensive burger, currently held by the American Double Truffle Burger which cost just 65 pounds ($127) in 1994.

Mark Dowding, a chef with Burger King (nyse: BKC - news - people ) for the last 12 years and the creator of the burger, told Forbes.com the location had been chosen because "there are different pockets for different tastes. And we are sure this is an area of a lot of burger aficionados."

And the secret to its strong taste? "Its massaged Japanese Wagyu beef," Dowding said.

The burger, the size and looks of a regular whopper, is made out of ingredients from seven countries, from Japan to France.

Some restaurateurs dismissed the burger, spiced with organic white wine and pink Himalayan rock salt, as a "marketing stunt" comparing it with similar products launched by department stores like Selfridges and its 85 pound sandwich and Peter Jones's 50 pound cup of coffee pre-digested by a Civet cat.

But David Kisilevsky, vice president of marketing at the fast food restaurant, said "the burger is aimed at aficionados looking for the ultimate burger taste experience."

All proceeds from the sale of the burger will be donated to Help a London Child charity, which helps children experiencing abuse and poverty.

Husky_mom
06-19-2008, 09:37 PM
I think I´ll stick with my 99c value meals.. LOL...

RICHARD
06-19-2008, 11:44 PM
IT really is a .99 cent burger.

The $184.01 is the co-pay for the hospital when you get a bite of the sliced tomato, the ones with the salmonella!:eek:

Medusa
06-20-2008, 06:56 AM
No matter what the cost, I ain't eatin' at BK, at least the ones I've been in; they were absolutely filthy! That would just be adding insult to injury.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Some people are stupid enough to buy anything............

smokey the elder
06-20-2008, 09:31 AM
LOL, Richard! Don't eat the 'maters!

lvpets2002
06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
IT really is a .99 cent burger.

The $184.01 is the co-pay for the hospital when you get a bite of the sliced tomato, the ones with the salmonella!:eek:

:D:D Good One Richard.. I am laughing my MM off..:p

shepgirl
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
too funny...I don't eat at Burger King either cause I find like Medussa..it's simply filthy, don't need more germs attacking my immune system. Even if the burgers were free I wouldn't want one...

Jessika
06-20-2008, 01:39 PM
There comes a point where the quality just... doesn't get better, you know? I'll stick to my regular hamburgers thanks lol

Killearn Kitties
06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I am laughing my MM off..:p
OK, another "lost in translation" moment (sorry it has nothing to do with the thread). To me "MM" means military medal. What am I missing here???

Freedom
06-20-2008, 03:51 PM
All proceeds from the sale of the burger will be donated to Help a London Child charity, which helps children experiencing abuse and poverty.

To me, this seems like a charitable fund raiser. At most of those, you pay over the top for the item, it is almost like a token souvenir, when really you are donating to the cause.

Of course, they are trying to get in the Guinness Book, so that shades it a bit; but I bet quite a few of those 50 who purchased where considering the charity involved!

lizbud
06-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Burger King has chefs? :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Freedom
06-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Yeah in the corporate office somewhere; NOT in each franchise, te hee.

Argranade
06-21-2008, 07:09 PM
As if these take out places don't use enough meat. =[

Poor cows.

Alysser
06-21-2008, 07:13 PM
:eek:

Is that even legal? :P I think 50 people are going to have a Bellyache tonight.

Oggyflute
06-21-2008, 11:08 PM
I actually find it a little obscene. Both from a moral and culinary standpoint. Wagyu beef has to be cooked with infinite care. It is not a meal, but an experience. Eating at Burger King is hardly what you would call an experience, unless of course you find Richards veiled & correct assumption that salmonela is an experience.

Twisterdog
06-24-2008, 12:14 AM
If the proceeds go to charity, what's the problem? I buy $5 candy bars every year to support children's programs. I could buy the same thing for 59 cents at the grocery store. Is that obscene? No, it's charitable.

RICHARD
06-24-2008, 07:30 AM

IF the SUBWAY has Sandwich Artists I think the BK cooks can dream!:rolleyes:

Pawsitive Thinking
06-24-2008, 08:24 AM
IF the SUBWAY has Sandwich Artists I think the BK cooks can dream!:rolleyes:

A what??? I've heard it all now....

RICHARD
06-24-2008, 08:34 AM
A what??? I've heard it all now....

OH, I always forget that not everyone gets the media blitzes that we do.

A few years ago the Subway brand started an ad campaign that stated the people who put the sandwiches together underwent some kind of training to make them.

They were given the title and I seem to remember a commercial where the actors/SAs would look into the camera and proclaim, "I am a Sandwich Artist".

I don't know if they still have the name badges with the slogan on them!:confused:

----------

From the Subway website....

In Australia, "Sandwich Artists" will custom make a mouth-watering sandwich right before your eyes. Your SUBWAY® sandwich is made-to-order, exactly the way you want it. Bread is baked in each and every restaurant, daily. Crisp vegetables are provided though local suppliers and a wide assortment of cold cuts are available, topped with your choice of our special sauces and condiments.