PDA

View Full Version : Puppymill Parents

lizbud
06-19-2008, 04:39 PM
There have been many threads devoted to puppymill pups that wind
up at Pet Stores all over the country but, not enough about the parents
of those babies. There fate is sealed.:( Some only make it out of that
horrid life by age or rescue. These are some parents rescued from Iowa.

Click here to meet a few of them rescued recently.

http://www.coalitionagainstmisery.com/Puppymills2.html

Freedom
06-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Small Paws Rescue, the bichon rescue group I volunteer with, spends most of their time and energy getting the parents out of the mills. The photos and stories at recovery are horrid. The staff work closely with these dear ones for 6 to 12 weeks, to get them settled enough for a foster home (they are no where near ready to be adopted at that point.) And they always require a mill rescue go to a furever home with an already socialized dog on the premises, so the newbie can watch and emulate behaviors.

It really is the parents which the pet store controversy is all about.

Great post!

lizbud
06-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Small Paws Rescue, the bichon rescue group I volunteer with, spends most of their time and energy getting the parents out of the mills. The photos and stories at recovery are horrid. The staff work closely with these dear ones for 6 to 12 weeks, to get them settled enough for a foster home (they are no where near ready to be adopted at that point.) And they always require a mill rescue go to a furever home with an already socialized dog on the premises, so the newbie can watch and emulate behaviors.

It really is the parents which the pet store controversy is all about.

Great post!

Yes, I've heard great things about Small Paws Rescue.:)

I just wish more people weren't sucked in by the "cute puppy in the window"
and stopped to remember how these pups got to the store.

krazyaboutkatz
06-21-2008, 04:57 PM
This is horrible.:( Thanks for posting this site. Hopefully more people will be become aware of this and will stop buying puppies at pet stores. I'm so glad that they aren't sold in pet stores in CA. I do,however, still see many ads for puppies in the newspaper and the local pennysaver.

Oggyflute
06-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Couldn't watch it all, as it upsets me enormously. :( Though I do spread the message as much as I can. One of the sales reps at work was getting a puppy for his wife. fortunately he discussed it with me before hand. (I'm well known as a puppy person). I showed him some rescue sites on the web, and asked him how can his wifes heart not melt with there situation. A week later he showed me a pic of his rescue pup, and said his wife adores her. It's a real 'bitsa' with a lot of character. :)