PDA

View Full Version : OMG!! My Brother is in The Hospital!!*Update he is Home!!*

critter crazy
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
My brother went into the hospital on Tuesday. He was having problems with his knee. His knee swelled up 3x's the normal size. The previous Friday, he noticed two bumps, like bug bites on his Knee. By sunday, his knee was swollen, and by tuesday it was just horribly swollen. So he went into emergency care. They immediately put him on a IV and antibiotics. They told him he had a bad infection, but werent sure of the cause. The were able to determine that the infection hadnt reached his joints, so he wouldnt need surgery, so far. Well today is Thursday, he has been there for 3 days now, and my mom just called, and told me that they have finally figured out what he has. My Brother Has MRSA!! http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/added3/yikes.gif They arent sure how long he will have to be hospitalized, but they do know that it could be a while. I just hope and pray that the Antibiotics work, and he will be okay. This is just some scary Crap!! My mom is a wreck!! My Brother is only 18, and was starting college soon, and was to be playig soccer. Not sure is he will be able to play soccer for a while, once this is all over or not. But as long as he is okay, that is all that matters. But my brother lives for soccer,a nd was so excted when he was placed on the pre-season Team.

If you don't mind, we could use some Posiive thoughts, that my baby brother will make a Speedy reovery!

Karen
06-19-2008, 04:18 PM
MRSA = a staph infection, for those who are not acronym-savvy. He'll be in our prayers, that with anti-biotics and his own immune system, he'll be able to fight the infection, and have no lasting consequences.

When my big brother was almost 13, he fell at Boy Scout Camp, and split his knee open, and it got infected. (long story short ...) He ended up in the hospital for it, and to this day, that's his "bad weather predictor" knee. It doesn't keep him from any activity, just is "there."

MoonandBean
06-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Will send positive thought his way! MRSA is simply a staph infection that is resistant to the most common antibiotic used to treat staph so they have to use another one. There ARE many antibiotics that can be used successfully. Any joint can become infected but MRSA is just extra tricky. Just my 2 cents: Anyone pregnant should stay away from him until the infection is cleared and they may need to do some cultures of his nose (I know, Yuck!) to make sure he's not carrying the bacteria. Also, I would suggest that your mom asks his doctor to check a Ferritin level just to make sure he doesn't have a condition where the body stores too much iron and can predispose people to joint infections; especially the knees.

Just said a prayer for a complete recovery and a good soccer season :)

Taz_Zoee
06-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Oh no! (Thank you for the explanation of what he has, I had no idea.)
I will be hoping your brother is up and running in time for soccer season in college.

Laura's Babies
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Eddie had that many times while in the Burn Trama Unite and they always cleared it up. He even got it again after he was released, but again, it was cleared right up. It is a nasty infection and nothing to play around with, it can get serious. I hope the meds clear it up for him right away!

Craftlady
06-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Our family knows MRSA all to well. My MIL almost died from it. She is on a long road to recovery. Thankfully, she is off the ventilator. She is now at a step down rehab/nursing home facility.
Her last testing showed the MRSA "under control" and finally the right antibotic was taking effect.
MRSA is NOTHING to take lightly.
Will pray that your brother has a full recovery.

Freedom
06-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Also known as Superbug, at least around here.

I know a woman with it. A group of us got together last November, greeted each other (hugs, kisses, etc.) and half an hour later, she told us she has it. :eek: We were FURIOUS to say the least. I can't remember the term she gave us from her doctor, but it was something about her being a carrier with intermitent outbreaks herself. :rolleyes:

Prayers for your brother; it is a good thing he got himself t the hospital!

ramanth
06-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Prayers for a quick and painless recovery. :)

Medusa
06-20-2008, 06:53 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this but, as you know, you have quite the prayer team at your disposal here on PT, so keep the faith. :)

critter crazy
06-20-2008, 05:14 PM
My brother is doing well today, the Pain is finally subsiding. They had to drain his knee again today, they said there was still alot of infection in there! Still no word when he will be released yet. It looks like I will have to try and re-schedule our fathers funeral, as it was set for this comming monday at noon. I hope they dont mind the short notice. My brother would not appreciate not being able to go.

gardengirl
06-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Critter Crazy, I hope your brother gets well soon. My nephew (he is only 14) in Georgia recently had MRSA in his knee, after having it on his arm. He needed surgery to remove it and seems to be doing just fine now. Like the previous poster said, he does need to be cautious of others, especially those with compromised immune systems, until he is completely clear. My nephew was supposed to come to Ca this summer, but we postponed it until next summer because of the risk. Good luck to your brother, it sounds like he is getting excellent care and will be fine. My sympathies on the death of your father.

krazyaboutkatz
06-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

critter crazy
06-22-2008, 09:13 AM
YAY!! My baby Brother is Home!!! He is doing very well, but isnt out of the woods yet! He has to be very careful right now, and mom has to sanitize the house daily, till he is completely healed. He has to go back to the doctors on thursday, they will check the wound, and possibly drain it once more. He is on a couple of antibitics right now. He cannot go back to work till they give him the all clear. But he is home, and doing well, and I am happy. Thank you all so much for the Prayers and positive thoughts!! It means alot to me, and my family!

AdoreMyDogs
06-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm so sorry this happened to your brother :( MRSA is very scary. My sister in law had it and it was so very sick.

I just said a prayer for your brother's recovery (even though he's home now) and hopefully he continues to do well.