PDA

View Full Version : Furminator

cassiesmom
06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
A furminator is just about the best grooming tool ever invented!

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...731&pf_id=8289

I just love Luke....I could look at his handsome face everyday...Yes, we are going to look into the furminator.....Boomer's fur is starting to get think and feathery. Cassie, although shorthaired has always shed like snow. I think we are going to invest in one for sure!

Cassie? Shedding like snow? I wouldn't have guessed that. I wonder if furminator would work for another Cassie that I keep combing and combing - She seems to be shedding a lot this year. I don't know where all the hair has come from. Seriously though, does anyone know if it is suitable for a cat?

Ginger's Mom
06-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Yes, it looks like they make a fuminator for cats. Here is one. (http://www.dogcatetc.com/008fur-00133.html) I don't know if it is significantly different than the dog ones, but I can tell you the dog one works great.

boomersooner
06-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, we probably don't groom like we should on a regular basis, but at times you can rub on her back and the hair falls like snow.....It is amazing how much she sheds....I didn't know Dalmatians did that either until Cass.

buttercup132
06-19-2008, 02:14 PM
It doesn't work that well on a cat and you can't use it over and over again like a normal brush because it will cause razor burn.

boomersooner
06-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Ouch! I had one in my hand today when I was in Petsmart, but the package had been opened so I put it back. I guess you would have to be careful when you are using it not to use it too much or too hard.

Moesha
06-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I saw it demonstrated on qvc the other day. They said that there was no difference in the actual product other than the color for dogs or cats. They sell 2 different sizes though. One is 1.75" and the other is 3" long. I think it was the smaller one that had the different colors. Out of almost 500 reviews for both sizes over 94% would recommend it. If you want to read the reviews you can go to qvc.com and search for item numbers M15553 and M17191.

boomersooner
06-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Boomer's teacher had one and stroked his back with it, and I was shocked at all of the loose hair that came off/out......I love QVC.....I may go there to order one.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-20-2008, 04:38 AM
I use one on Brody all the time and it is wonderful. Her coat is in great condition and she doesn't get matted any more

Yorkie Lover
06-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Hey Cassiesmom,
I think that Cassie is going through her shedding period.
I've read about that before. My dog does not shed. His hair just
grows and Grows, and GROWS, and Grows! Speaking of which,
He is EXTREMELY Shaggy right now, lying on my lap. I'll ask my mom
to get him a haircut soon when she wakes up. Gotta go now. We have company and people are just now waking up.

finn's mom
06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
I use the tool on two of my three dogs (Dudley, my mini schnauzer, doesn't shed), and we LOVE it. It's definitely cut back on the hair all over the apartment.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-21-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm a groomer at Petco and we LOVE them! They work so well for labs and shorthaired dogs and stuff, and I even use them on my goldens, huskies, malamutes, etc. Love love love it!

cyber-sibes
06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I bought a shed ender, which is supposed to be the same type of brush, but gave it to my SIL for her boxers. It just wasn't doing much for husky coats. It seemed like it would work better on shorter fur.
I have a new brush on order now from Chris Christensen (http://www.chrissystems.com/brushes.htm), husky owners are all calling it "the magic brush"...we'll see.

Twisterdog
06-23-2008, 11:23 PM
I've had rather mixed results with the Fuminator. On the dogs it works well one, it does indeed work very well. But on some dogs it doesn't seem to work as well as a regular slicker brush. And I have yet to determine exactly why that is.

I have a customer with two pugs. On one of them, the Furminator gets out buckets of hair. On the other one, we just use the slicker brush, because the Furminator doesn't do much of anything. Go figure. :confused:

I used it on my broken-coat JRT's the other day, and wow ... it was basically like hand-stripping them. If I would have wanted to, I would have had smooth coats in about ten minutes.

anna_66
06-28-2008, 07:31 AM
I just ordered a Furminator the other day and I HOPE it has the great results that I've read about.
Since we've gotten the new flooring and gotten rid of the carpet it seems there's hair EVERYWHERE (now instead of it sticking to the carpet it finds all kinds of places to go:p)

blueclearsky
07-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I bought a shed ender, which is supposed to be the same type of brush, but gave it to my SIL for her boxers. It just wasn't doing much for husky coats. It seemed like it would work better on shorter fur.
I have a new brush on order now from Chris Christensen (http://www.chrissystems.com/brushes.htm), husky owners are all calling it "the magic brush"...we'll see.

Could you please tell me specifically which brush you bought for your siberians? I have two adult sibes and have never really found a brush they like (surprise!);). I read your blog about your new brush and now I am dying to get one ASAP. I looked on Chris Christensen's site, but was quickly overwhelmed with choices.

Thanks for your help. And by the way, I loved your blog. I cried and laughed while reading it today, and I could SO RELATE to your writings about your sibes.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Sandy
Mom to Sibes Maverick and Kate and Border Collie Sugar:love:

Jessika
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
My parents have the cat one for their cats and every time my pups come over to visit my sister will brush them down with it. It is amazing how much hair it gets out, though I must say I do get similar results with my two with an undercoat rake.

Though maybe its just me but it seems like this year my two pups are shedding A LOT more than they normally do!!! Could be the change in food though since apparently Canidae changed its formula and I had no idea until recently... hmmm...

boomersooner
07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Sandy

And Aunt Sandy to Cassie and Boomer! We need to see pictures of my canine nieces and nephews!!!!

Jessika
07-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Did some searching... found these for nearly 50% cheaper than quoted on PetCo's website on Amazon.com... so if you're looking to buy one, go to Amazon.com!!! They had the medium for less than $30, versus $50 at PetCo.

Unless someone knows of a cheaper site? I would like the medium sized one.

boomersooner
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
If you are talking about the Furminator, I bought the 3 inch one from QVC for $34.65 total. It came in about a week...the 4th of July holiday held it up, I think.

cyber-sibes
07-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Could you please tell me specifically which brush you bought for your siberians? I have two adult sibes and have never really found a brush they like (surprise!);). I read your blog about your new brush and now I am dying to get one ASAP. I looked on Chris Christensen's site, but was quickly overwhelmed with choices.

Thanks for your help. And by the way, I loved your blog. I cried and laughed while reading it today, and I could SO RELATE to your writings about your sibes.

Sandy
Welcome to PT Sandy! I bought the 20 mm oblong brush ($22). And it is WONDERFUL! Definitely worth it. It was originally recommended by people at a show kennel, this is the one they use for their dogs, too.
Star rolled over to get her belly brushed, I've brushed them both several times now. I think mine are both shedding more than usual, too. Star never sheds like this. I figured it means we are going to have a hot summer & fall.

I'm glad you enjoyed Star & Jack's blog. :) They have a lot to say & sneak onto the keyboard when I'm not looking.:rolleyes: LOL! Drop by again & visit some of the other blogging Siberians in our friends list. Make sure you read Meeshka's blog - it's hilarious.

We have quite a few Sibes here on PT as well as a whole lot of Border collies - your in good company!
~Pat

joycenalex
07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
i love my furminator. it has been used on 2 dogs, both short hair, and 4 cats. when brushing the cats tho, 2 of them wanted it to end very quickly, yet it cleaned up those 2 the best. i bought mine at petsmart and it was worth every penny.

anna_66
07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Well I have to say I really like my furminator! Not only does it brush well (everyone seems to love it) but it really makes their hair look super nice...especially Roxey's.
I've tried an undercoat rake along with a pin brush on her and it's never made her hair look as good as it does now.

Not sure it's making any less hair in my house, but I do like it.

Oh, and I got mine on Amazon.com with some waterless shampoo for $34.99+$5.20 S&H and I got it in 2 days!

Cinder & Smoke
07-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I really like my furminator!

I got mine on Amazon.com with some waterless shampoo for $34.99+$5.20 S&H and I got it in 2 days!

Which SIZE did you get?
They come in small, medium, and large widths.

I be interested if they'd come out with a Motorized model!

:p

boomersooner
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I really used mine for the first time today, and Boomer actually just laid there, letting me brush him. It must be relaxing if that little ball of energy can keep still! I think the thing to do for price is to order it online...sounds like everyone has the price of the major chains beat!!

jennielynn1970
07-11-2008, 06:16 PM
I wonder if furminator would work for another Cassie that I keep combing and combing - She seems to be shedding a lot this year. I don't know where all the hair has come from. Seriously though, does anyone know if it is suitable for a cat?

I use my Furminator on 3-4 of the cats here in my house. It's the one that has a blue colored head one it. I know they had different colors for different sizes. Not sure of the size, but I can tell the color, lol.

I use don't use this daily on them, because like Buttercup said, it can cause razorburn and be irritating. Zach, Furbee, Honeybun, and sometimes Jorgie and Calloway get brushed with it. It gets out a ton of fur with Zach, Furbee and Honey.

I tried it on Finae, Sophie and Boris, and got NOTHING!! I just use a regular slicker brush on them.

Cinder & Smoke
07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
From the Furminator web site at:
http://www.furminator.com/

Q: Which size tool is best for my pet?
A: All of the tools have the same edge, only the width is different.

* Small Blue Tool (1.75" wide blade) for small to medium sized dogs, cats, rabbits and ferrets

* Purple Cat Tool (1.75" wide blade) for small to medium sized cats

* Medium Yellow Tool (2.65" wide blade) for medium to large sized dogs

* Large Yellow Tool (4: wide blade) for large dogs

* Hunter Green Equine Tool (5" wide blade) for horses and other livestock

There's no distinction made between the "Blue" and the "Purple" tools -
The Furminator site gives the same 1.75" blade dimension for both. :confused:

Q: Do I ever need to sharpen or replace the deShedding edge?
A: The average consumer should not have to replace the deShedding edge for the lifetime of the pet.
We always advise to keep the protective cover on the deShedding edge at all times when not in use.
The small blue and purple cat deShedding tools do not have replaceable edges.
The medium, large and equine deShedding tools do have replaceable edges.

So, what SIZE are you folks using??

boomersooner
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Mine is blue, but I sure thought it was wider than that.....

Cinder & Smoke
07-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Mine is blue, but I sure thought it was wider than that ...

The "Color" is the color of the HEAD of the tool, NOT the handle color.

boomersooner
07-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes, I meant the head.....it is blue....the handle is black, and the cutting edge is 3 inches...I ordered it off of QVC and here is the picture and information.

FURminator Professional 3" deShedding Pet Grooming Tool
Retail Value $47.00

QVC Price: $29.75
Introductory Price:
$27.12
Shipping & Handling: $3.97

Save! Buy two or more and save on S & H.

See Details

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/sdburch/m15553.jpg

boomersooner
07-11-2008, 08:24 PM
You know, the 3 inch blue might be some special deal for qvc customers because like cinder and smoke referenced, the furminator website has the blue headed ones as 1.75, and I guess they don't offer a 3 inch one....I don't know...kinda puzzling... mine is blue and 3 inches...that is all I know!

blueclearsky
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Pat, thanks a million for the info on the brush for the sibes. I'm definitely getting one of those asap. My poor babes are so needing a good brushing but they hate it with the one I have now. Maverick's a big loud cry baby about it, but Kate just runs away faster than I can run. HA! I finally gave up, but now, thanks to you, I have new hope. yay!

Shannon, that size IS made especially for QVC because I ordered one a year or so ago and I remember them saying that.

Everyone, thanks so much for the warm welcome. I'm working on the pictures!

jennielynn1970
07-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Amazon has some great prices as well. That's where I got mine.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=furminator&x=0&y=0

I use the BLUE tool.

boomersooner
07-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Mine worked great on my springer puppy, and today, I tried it on my 14 year old dalmatian....she seemed to like it, and it really did get a lot of hair off. At the same time, though, it sort of made me sad....Just in the last year or so, I've noticed the black spots on Cassie's face have some grey in them, but the rest of her looks white with black spots as always. When I used the furminator today, all of the hair I got off was grey....it just doesn't look it on her. Sweet old girl.....

joycenalex
07-13-2008, 06:17 AM
i went and got the ruler...we've got the medium yellow furminator. yesterday i removed half a plastic grocery bag of fur from peanut...better in the trash can then rolling down the hall;)

anna_66
07-14-2008, 08:47 AM
i went and got the ruler...we've got the medium yellow furminator.
That's the same one I got. That way I can use it on the big dogs and on Simba.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-14-2008, 08:51 AM
I got mine from ebay for half the price