PDA

View Full Version : A dog killed a puppy at a local dog park... what breed??

pitc9
06-19-2008, 07:26 AM
A Standard Poodle killed a puppy.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=91167

STOW -- The owner of Maltese/poodle puppy called Stow police today, saying her dog was killed by a standard poodle at the popular dog park over the weekend, according to police. according to Stow Police.

Police took the call and referred the incident to the animal control officer.

The woman said she was carrying the puppy through the "big dog" area of the park to the "small dog" area when the poodle allegedly charged her from behind, knocking the puppy from her arms.

The woman says the poodle then bit her Maltese on the neck and the small puppy bled to death.

Following this incident, the Stow Parks and Recreation Department plans to install a separate entrance into the small-dog area that would cut down the length of space small-dog owners would have to travel in the big-dog area to get into the small dog area.

cyber-sibes
06-19-2008, 07:40 AM
:( That is really sad. I feel for both dog's owners. I can totally see how that would happen. I've nearly been knocked on my butt by a big dog at the park many times. The bite might have been accidental, dogs get pretty keyed up at dog parks, and I've seen puncture wounds (if that's what it was) happen without the other dog meaning to be aggressive. Poor puppy must have been all of, what, maybe just a few pounds?

Sounds like a good idea to have two gates. I think it would be challenging to have to carry your little dog like that every time you went to the park. A lot of dogs (of all sizes) do jump up to see what you've got in your arms.
Play happily at the RB, little one.

ramanth
06-19-2008, 07:40 AM
How tragic. :(

I saw a Great Dane at our local park pounce on a smaller dog and toss it. Thankfully it was okay but the owner of the Dane was mortified.

Freedom
06-19-2008, 07:56 AM
How tragic! And Scary!

With 4 to keep tracked of, I just don't feel I could take mine to a dog park.

Taz_Zoee
06-19-2008, 09:07 AM
I think that's crazy to have to walk the small dogs through the big dog area. Our local dog park has one entrance to a small area with a water fountain. That area then has gates going to the separate areas. Big dogs to the left, small dogs to the right.
Such a sad, tragic thing for all involved. :(

Daisy and Delilah
06-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Rest In Peace Little Puppy:(

I feel so bad for the puppy's owner and the owner of the Poodle. How sad for both of them.:(

CathyBogart
06-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Ouch....poor puppy, poor people. :(

Casper
06-19-2008, 12:22 PM
This is a really sad and unfortunate incident. :( I feel terrible for everyone involved, but at least they are taking a step in helping prevent a similar tragedy in the future by installing another entrance(though they should have had it done in the first place).

lute
06-20-2008, 08:56 PM
They should have thought about that sooner! Totally avoidable!

Chica
06-21-2008, 04:12 AM
That is so sad!!!! I would be heartbroken if that happened to me!!!

KYS
06-21-2008, 03:15 PM
That is so sad, my heart goes out to that poor woman.

Unfortunately it was to late,
but I am glad the park is now going to put in a small dog entrance.

caseysmom
06-23-2008, 12:09 PM
That was crazy expecting people to walk through the large dog area, talk about an accident waiting to happen.

buttercup132
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Poodles are being over bred alot now due to the demand for "oodle" dogs.
I would imagine alot of them are inbred and messed up in the head because of that.
I've read quite a few times now about Standard Poodles attacking.