PDA

View Full Version : Another Ex-Vick dog happy ending!

pitc9
06-17-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.wkyc.com/news/national/news_article.aspx?storyid=91680&catid=22

SAN FRANSISCO, CA -- A pit bull rescued from former NFL quarterback Michael Vick's infamous dog fighting stable has found a new life in California.

Leo was rescued by "Our Pack", a San Francisco area group that rescues pit bulls.

Leo loves to play ball, but if the pit bull had a choice, he'd rather be working as a therapy dog.

What's amazing is Leo made his transformation from Vick dog to therapy dog in just five weeks thanks to a lot of love and leadership from his new owner, dog trainer Marthina McClay.

"He was a little like a caveman at a tea party. He didn't have a lot of training," she recalled.

Leo has said goodbye to his heavy chains and happily wears a clown collar as he makes the rounds at the Camino Infusion Center in Mountain View, California.

Despite his strength, he's ever so gentle as he greets patients undergoing chemo.

"He is wonderful and all the patients love Leo. They really love his eyes and gentleness," said Paula Reed, director of Oncology and Infusion Services.

His favorite thing to do is put his head on a patient's lap and bat his big brown eyes.

He has the power to inspire a smile in seconds.

Leo also touches young people on probation at the Alternative Placement Academy in San Jose.

The young men seem to identify with this former tough guy.

Of course Leo receives just as much love as he gives.

He's not only making a name for himself, he's helping people embrace pit bulls.

"Leo is definitely an ambassador to the breed. They meet him and say, 'I will never see pit bulls the same again'," Marthina McClay said.

I still can't wipe the smile off of my face after reading this story!
goD bless that dog and all the other ex-Vick dogs that have proved SO many people wrong about the breed!

I got quite the chuckle at her comment about him being like a caveman at a tea party!! That's too funny!

Casper
06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I know I have said it a million times, but I just love happy endings! :D
Leo is such a handsome guy and it is great he received the second chance he deserves. And it is even greater that he is helping to educate others on the breed. Sounds like a win-win situation all around.
Thanks for posting this. I had always wondered what had happened to the dogs previously owned by Vick. I am so glad all worked out well for Leo. :]

cassiesmom
06-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Yay for Leo bringing people smiles! This is a happy result!!

lizbud
06-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Great story.:) Thanks for sharing it.

ramanth
06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
YAY YAY YAY!! More happy endings. I love these!! :D :D :love:

He is an absolute sweetheart. :)

CathyBogart
06-18-2008, 07:41 PM
If anyone knows "Wallace" the well-known rescued disc dog pit bull, his owner just adopted one of the Vick doggies too. Congrats Vick pups!

luvofallhorses
06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
I am so happy for Leo! :D He's such a cutie. :love:

caseysmom
06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks for sharing a happy story.

K9karen
06-23-2008, 11:27 PM
*Sings* "All You Need Is Love..LaDeDaDeDa..All You Need Is Love"

Blessings on you, sweet, handsome Leo! And to the amazing folks who took the time to care and save. Amen.