PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE PRAY FOR ME: Cat Bite & Rabies Shots!

kimlovescats
06-16-2008, 02:37 PM
EDIT: Pictures added on post #61

To make as short of a story as possible, a stray male cat showed up on my front porch the past couple of days. Yesterday afternoon, I fed him and he seemed friendly and I was able to pet him. Last night around 9 pm, I was reaching down to pet him and he turned and bit down with all 4 of his fang teeth into the fatty part of my palm! Around midnight, my hand was hurting, red and swelling .... went to the ER. They put me on two anti-biotics and recommended rabies shots.

Today animal control has a trap set ... of course the kitty left "the scene of the crime" last night. I'm guessing he will come back for more food soon. Meanwhile I have to make a decision on whether or not to start the shots. I had a call into my regular doctor and her office just called back and she said that I should start the shots right away at the ER.

To say that I am scared is an understatement. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!!!!

Kim:(

MoonandBean
06-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Kim,

rabies shots are nothing nowadays. They are nothing like the rabies shots we've all heard about in the past...painful and in the stomach...yuck! Now they just give a series of 5 shots in the arm...just like the hepatitis B series (that's 3 shots but close enough). I'm only saying this cause I'm sure you're thinking of the old days when it was a horrible experience...not the case anymore, thank God. Go start the series and everything will be OK...better safe than sorry.

http://www.vaccineinformation.org/rabies/qandavax.asp

Above is a good link I found.

Good Luck; keep us updated,
Deb

kimlovescats
06-16-2008, 02:53 PM
My biggest fear is not the pain of the shots (I had a tetanus last night) but the side effects that I might have from the shots.

catfamily
06-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Kim
I am so sorry this happened to you!First the ankles..now the palm..:(
It's good that "moonandbean" told you that it isn't as bad anymore
(the rabies shots).
So that at least is a load off your shoulders...but just the whole thing!!
You've had your share these past couple months.
I'm praying for you.
I know you'll be fine...better days are ahead.

i just read that your worried about side affects....i hope and pray you don't have any.

kimlovescats
06-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Kim
I am so sorry this happened to you!First the ankles..now the palm..:(
It's good that "moonandbean" told you that it isn't as bad anymore
(the rabies shots).
So that at least is a load off your shoulders...but just the whole thing!!
You've had your share these past couple months.
I'm praying for you.
I know you'll be fine...better days are ahead.

i just read that your worried about side affects....i hope and pray you don't have any.

Thank you, Carla. I just sent out an e-mail to some other rescues, asking desperately for help with my bottle babies. (week old)

Freedom
06-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Kim --

You do realize that, if they trap that kitty, it will be PTS!

I was bitten last Fall by a feral from one of the colonies; she was recuperating here for her 5 days of post op prior to being released. She "mysteriously" disappeared from my home before Animal Control arrived. She i now happily living in her colony, spayed, up to date on her shots, and blissfully unaware of how close she came to the unimaginable. :D

In fact, she disappeared from my home before I even went to the ER, as I knew what would happen. Yeah, my hand was lots more swollen and painful than it would have been but . . . she was OK, te hee. She'd had her rabies shot that morning along with the spay etc.

Hang in there, you WILL get through all of this.
Sandie

kimlovescats
06-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Kim --

You do realize that, if they trap that kitty, it will be PTS!

I was bitten last Fall by a feral from one of the colonies; she was recuperating here for her 5 days of post op prior to being released. She "mysteriously" disappeared from my home before Animal Control arrived. She i now happily living in her colony, spayed, up to date on her shots, and blissfully unaware of how close she came to the unimaginable. :D

In fact, she disappeared from my home before I even went to the ER, as I knew what would happen. Yeah, my hand was lots more swollen and painful than it would have been but . . . she was OK, te hee. She'd had her rabies shot that morning along with the spay etc.

Hang in there, you WILL get through all of this.
Sandie

While I would not under normal circumstances want a cat to be PTS, I can't really say "poor kitty" and then die of rabies myself!!!

IN ADDITION: If he is aggressive with me (extremely cat-oriented person) and I ignore him, how many children in my neighborhood would he bite and have to go through prophylactic rabies shots just so "poor kitty" could live?

catfamily
06-16-2008, 03:10 PM
kim
if there were any way i could bottle feed those babies for you i would...being to far away from you...i can't and i feel terrible about it.
i'd do it in a heartbeat...i am home and have the time.
i hope you find soomeone to help you with the babies.

Taz_Zoee
06-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh no Kim, this is not good. I hope you will not have any side effects from the shots and will be better soon.
All you do for the animals around you, you are a true saint of a person.

Medusa
06-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh boy, just what you need, huh? A feral bit me in the same spot on my hand right before I bought this house 3 1/2 years ago and, honestly, I didn't even think about rabies. I don't know why; it just didn't occur to me. My hand swelled and bruised, the whole nine yards and I never did get any treatment for it. Now that you know that rabies shots aren't what they used to be, you can relax a little there and as for side effects, we'll just send up the prayers that you won't have any. Done. :)

lvpets2002
06-16-2008, 04:38 PM
:(:eek:Oh no no Kim.. I am so so sorry about this.. Hey how are you?? I know your scared to death.. Sending many Prayers & Good Wishes..

catmandu
06-16-2008, 06:30 PM
I HAD TO GO INTO EMERGENCY:( LAST YEAR AS POUNCER KARINA:eek: BIT MEON THE ELBOW AS I DRAGGED HER INTO THE HOUSE.
IT SWELLED UP :(,AND WAS RED BUT AFTER TWO NEEDLES IT WENT DOWN, AND NOW ITS FINE AFTER ANTI BIOTICS AND THERAPY.
I HOPE THAT YOU CAN CATCH THIS CAT THE WAY WE DID POUNCER :love:KARINA, AND FIND THAT HES NOT RABID, AND FIND HIM A GOOD FURREVER HOME TOO.:cool:

jazzcat
06-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry.

Okay, I just typed up this long thing about how I would wait to catch the cat and call the county health dept. first and ask about any reported rabies cases but then I googled rabies report TN and found this. I know Kingsport is a long way from you but still...
http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9006617

moosmom
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Kim,

I got bit by a pregnant stray in Michigan (Remember that Ramanth??). It was a NASTY bite, down to the bone of my right pinky finger. I held it in hydrogen peroxide and put some antibiotic ointment on it and a bandaid. 24 hours later I had a red line going up my arm. Off to the ER. They wanted to do rabies shots and I said no. I told them it was a provoked attack (which is was, a stupid one on my part). They ended up giving me Augmentin, 10 tabs for 10 days at $10 a piece (no medical benefits). That did the trick.

I was in your shoes and my advice would be to take the Augmentin (if that is what the doctor prescribed) or whatever he gave you and forgo the rabies shots. But that is only MY opinion.

I'm so sorry for your pain, girl. It's one of the drawbacks rescue.

kimlovescats
06-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Thank you for those who have responded in a supportive way. I just got home from the ER and getting 4 rabies shots. They didn't hurt at all but I was scared to death until that needle went in. The ER doctor was wonderful and told me to watch my hand very closely. They marked the level of swelling and redness on my arm with a pen so I can see if it goes further or reduces. If it spreads at all, I am to come right back to the ER. This is extra important since I am diabetic.

Time was the key here. By the time the cat could potentially have been caught, quarantined, euthanized, tested and the results back in ... I would have missed the safest "window" of time for starting my shots. So far, I feel fine ... just tired from the whole 24 hour ordeal and upset about the fate of this kitty who I only had hoped to help out. I will have to get shots on days 3, 7, 14 and 28 ... but only one shot each time.

Anyway, 2 of my vet's techs offered to take my bottle babies! I was grateful and relieved. After we got back home from the ER we took the kittens to the vet office. Then we we got back home again, the cat was IN THE TRAP! An animal control officer came out right away and took him away. The poor kitty was going nuts in the trap. I felt just awful and came inside and bawled my eyes out. Anyone on PT who thinks this didn't affect me has NO IDEA!

Kim

Taz_Zoee
06-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh Kim, I got LES hearing about the poor cat. If anything, this is the HARDEST on you. And I would hope everyone here would understand that. We all see how much you help all the animals in your area (as I stated before). Sometimes things are basically out of your control. I know if there was anything you could do for that kitty you would have done it. But your health must come first or other kitties will not receive your loving care.

Hugs to you Kim! I hope you are feeling better real soon. :)

caseysmom
06-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Can they test the kitty so you won't have to have more shots? I am so sorry you are going through this and I agree that does not sound like a safe kitty to be roaming your neighborhood, dangerous cats should be euthanized just like dangerous dogs.

CathyBogart
06-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Can they test the kitty so you won't have to have more shots? I am so sorry you are going through this and I agree that does not sound like a safe kitty to be roaming your neighborhood, dangerous cats should be euthanized just like dangerous dogs.

The cat's head will probably be sent in, but it does take awhile to dissect the brain and determine if kitty has rabies, so it's probably best to go for the prophylactic rabies shots.

I'll be getting those soon too, just because I'm working in the clinic. Two weeks ago we had an employee badly bitten by a kitty with no rabies vaccine. BAD NEWS for kitty and his owner, as well as the poor kennel girl who was bitten. :(

kimlovescats
06-16-2008, 09:44 PM

They have to hold him for 3 days to see if an owner shows up. Then after that they have to send the tissue off to a lab for testing. I couldn't afford to waste time ... just in case. Some people don't realize that when a human gets rabies it is a 100% DEATH sentence!!! Don't mess around with bites!

Thank you, each of you for your support. I think the worst is over, just keeping a watchful eye on my hand for signs of the infection spreading. It's still painful and it hurts to type. I'll post an update tomorrow.

Kim

Catty1
06-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh Kim - I hope you heal soon and am glad the vet techs are going to help your bottle babies!

I DO feel bad for the kitty...he MAY be dangerous, but if he is a stray, he could be sick or injured and had a "pang" just as you were reaching to pat him and ZOW!

I guess when they say they send tissue away...the kitty isn't alive any more....?

Big prayers for you and that kitty! :(

krazyaboutkatz
06-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened.:( I'm glad that you're starting to feel better and I hope you make a speedy recovery.:)

smokey the elder
06-17-2008, 08:20 AM
If they do catch the cat and find out it didn't have rabies then you can probably stop taking the shots. That's scary stuff, but I'm glad the shots weren't as bad as they used to be. I hope your bites heal nicely without giving you any trouble.

catnapper
06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh Kim, I just read this -- so sorry that you're going through this. I'm going to send you a Pm so please check your inbox :)

CathyBogart
06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
I guess when they say they send tissue away...the kitty isn't alive any more....?

It's the brain that gets sent in.

Moesha
06-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Oh dear! I'm sorry and glad to just be reading this now. Sorry that you are going through it and glad that I didn't see it sooner or I might be bottle feeding some kittens! LOL

How are the other crew of kitties doing?
I hope you come through this ordeal without problems.

cassiesmom
06-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Thinking of you today, Kim!
Prayers said!
Hugs... Elyse

Pawsitive Thinking
06-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Hope you are feeling better today Kim.

Regarding the cat who "got" you - surely if he is ill then it is far better for him to have been trapped and treated or PTS if necessary than live a long and torturous life in the wild?

Catty1
06-17-2008, 10:13 AM
But Denise - if no one claims him in three days, he is PTS and THEN the tissue is tested for rabies. :( NO diagnosis, no treatment.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
But Denise - if no one claims him in three days, he is PTS and THEN the tissue is tested for rabies. :( NO diagnosis, no treatment.

That sheds a whole new light on it - talk about doing things the wrong way round :rolleyes: It would have made a lot more sense to test him straight away so everyone knew what they were dealing with

jazzcat
06-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Probably a good thing you started the shots Kim. Glad they weren't too bad for you and also glad to hear you are getting help with the bottle babies.

Emeraldgreen
06-17-2008, 10:58 AM

That sheds a whole new light on it - talk about doing things the wrong way round It would have made a lot more sense to test him straight away so everyone knew what they were dealing with
Today 07:13 AM

As far as I know, the only way to test an animal for rabies is by doing a test on the brain (I think someone also posted about that) and that couldn't be done while the animal is still alive.
I remember hearing about the head of a dog being sent off from a shelter to be tested for rabies 20 years ago and thinking it was so gruesome. I'm so surprised that they haven't come up with a new way of testing but it seems that they haven't yet. I don't know enough about it but it seems that the brain is the key for determining if the animal had rabies or not.
Praying that you feel better soon Kim.

pitc9
06-17-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm so sorry about all of this.

I hope you keep feeling better!

kimlovescats
06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, I guess we could have waited and just sent MY brain in for testing. Poor kitty!

caseysmom
06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, I guess we could have waited and just sent MY brain in for testing. Poor kitty!

Kim, I hope your feeling better today, your health and well being is important to me.:)

Vermontcat
06-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Kim, I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now.
I have been wondering how you were doing and I am so sorry to hear that you were bit by a cat and now have to go through a series of rabies shots.:(
I hope things get better for you and that you heal quickly.
Check your PM's in a few minutes, I will be sending you something to help cheer you up.
Sending hugs your way.

Logan
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Kim, I hope things are going to settle down for you soon. I'm so sorry this happened. I can imagine how your heart was going out to that kitty, too, even though you knew what had to be done. His only saving grace will be if he does happen to have an owner who steps up and can prove his rabies shots are up to date. Sounds pretty far-fetched if he has been coming to you for food. :( The main thing is that you get well now. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Logan

Randi
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. :( I hope you'll heal up soon and feel better.

(((hugs)))

kb2yjx
06-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Kim, hope all is well soon....

critters
06-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Some people don't realize that when a human gets rabies it is a 100% DEATH sentence!!!
Luckily, that's not true, although it's a tough row to hoe. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5350a1.htm

Don't forget soaks, with or without salt. I've always found that nuking water until it's almost "too hot," then soaking the part until the water doesn't feel warm anymore, and repeated as often as you can, to make a huge difference. If you're not squeamish, you can drain pus that way; regardless, it seems to ease the terrible swollen feel that I find so uncomfortable.

Good luck!

kimlovescats
06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Luckily, that's not true, although it's a tough row to hoe. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5350a1.htm

Don't forget soaks, with or without salt. I've always found that nuking water until it's almost "too hot," then soaking the part until the water doesn't feel warm anymore, and repeated as often as you can, to make a huge difference. If you're not squeamish, you can drain pus that way; regardless, it seems to ease the terrible swollen feel that I find so uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Here is an excerpt from that link:

This case represents the sixth known occurrence of human recovery after rabies infection; however, the case is unique because the patient received no rabies prophylaxis either before or after illness onset. Historically, the mortality rate among previously unvaccinated rabies patients has been 100% (2). The five previous patients who survived were either previously vaccinated (3) or received some form of PEP before the onset of illness (4--7). As in this case, viral antigen was not detected nor was virus isolated from those patients; increased antibody titers detected in serum and CSF (inconsistent with vaccination alone) confirmed the diagnosis of clinical rabies. Only one of the five patients recovered without neurologic sequelae (4). No specific course of treatment for rabies in humans has been demonstrated to be effective, but a combination of treatments, which might include rabies vaccine, rabies immune globulin, monoclonal antibodies, ribavirin, interferon-alpha, or ketamine, has been proposed

Ok, so maybe 99.9999%.

orangemm
06-17-2008, 04:36 PM
(((hugs)))) Kim, I'm so sorry this happened to you and sorrier that you are suffering just because you did a good thing.

Please take good care of yourself; we're all praying for you..........:love:

caseysmom
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Kim, I was thinking the same thing about that article, pretty horrible odds! Not to mention she lived but they don't know what type of brain damage she will have and how much she will recover. Definetely not something to be taken likely. You are doing the right thing getting the shots for sure.

carole
06-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh Kim i am so sorry to hear this news, i hope by now you are feeling better and there are no nasty side effects, we are lucky in NZ we don't have rabies, but i sure have read a bit about it.

I can well understand how you felt about the kitty, i had to do a similar thing some years back, but it helped that the kitty was seriously ill, but it still made me feel so bad, i really feel for you and just know you cannot save all the kitties in the world, you certainly have done your bit my dear where that is concerned, Giant hugs to you and wishing you well again.:love::love::love:

Freedom
06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey Kim, I'd never even given a thought to the bottle babies you have there! So glad something developed so they get the care they need.

Hope you are feeling better. And the hand stops swelling and starts healing.

If the cat is neutered, then it likely had a rabies shot at that time. No responsible vet fixes a cat or dog without giving a rabies shot.

I hope the owner shows up and clears all this up and the news is super all around.

As I've been bitten by my own cats, on 2 different occasions, after owning them for years, I guess I just don't get all worked up with getting bit by the ferals who may have some illness, the way perhaps I should.

rg_girlca
06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Kim, I had LES reading what happened to you. I thought, "What next can happen to this poor sweet girl." Well they say things come in 3's and you just hit your 3rd one, so this is IT for you. No more accidents or ill health for you for the rest of the year.:D

I pray that the cat doesn't have rabies, so you won't have to have any more shots. I'm also very happy to hear that the vet tech was able to take your bottle babies.

Prayers on the way for a full and speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

Catlady711
06-17-2008, 07:57 PM
OUCH. I just now read this. Sorry you got bit. I've only gotten bit by a cat once but it got very infected quickly and hurt like a sonofagun. I was fortunate that she had a current rabies vaccination so I didn't have to endure the shots, which is good because I'm scared to death of needles.

I hope your bite heals without any complications.

I feel bad for the kitty but given the situation and current testing methods it couldn't be helped I understand. At least the kitty can be happy playing at the RB now.

BTW small miracle I know but one person is known to have survived Rabies.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002506.html

AbbyMom
06-17-2008, 08:12 PM
HUGS for Kim. Keep us posted.

Catty1
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
KIm - please forgive me for asking - this is ONLY to see what Animal Control's policies would be in this case...

IF - IF and only IF - you said you were willing to have all the rabies shots, would that make a difference in what they do with the cat?

Please note, I am NOT saying you should do this at all! Just as many are here, I am concerned about the cat as well, and wondering if there is any way to keep him from being PTS.

I hope you are healing...do you have some decent painkillers?

{{{{hugs}}}}

luvofallhorses
06-17-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry, Kim. :( I hope you feel better soon. perhaps he was a feral kitty if he bit you bad. I don't think a stray that was someone's house cat would, but you never know.. feel better soon! :)

Scooter's Mom
06-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Kim, I am so sorry you have to go through this. It's a bad situation all the way around. *Hugs* coming your way.

kimlovescats
06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
KIm - please forgive me for asking - this is ONLY to see what Animal Control's policies would be in this case...

IF - IF and only IF - you said you were willing to have all the rabies shots, would that make a difference in what they do with the cat?

Please note, I am NOT saying you should do this at all! Just as many are here, I am concerned about the cat as well, and wondering if there is any way to keep him from being PTS.

I hope you are healing...do you have some decent painkillers?

{{{{hugs}}}}

CANDACE ... you have MISSED THE POINT!!! This cat could bite another person or a CHILD!!! I realize you have no children but would you wish the pain, infection, ER visit and Rabies scare diarrhea from multiple antibiotics on one???? Would it make you happy if I donate my brain and head instead of the "poor kitty"!:o

carole
06-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Kim i think candace meant well,and did not mean to upset you.

Catty1
06-17-2008, 11:42 PM
I was just wondering if anything could be done to save the cat. That's all.

I thought it would be PTS so soon because they wanted to find out about the rabies really soon. I just wondered if there were options.

I may have no children (except Papiya in Kolkatta), but I worked at a cat boarding kennel, and was bitten twice and DEEPLY by a cat there - the same cat both times.

I thought the point, the main one, was you and you getting better, and it is.

And I thought another point might be the cat.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Pawsitive Thinking
06-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Kim, I hope your feeling better today, your health and well being is important to me.:)

Here! here! sometimes we let our feelings about animals overshadow everything else. Kim's health is the most important issue here :love:

K9soul
06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
I saw the title of this thread in the forum index yesterday and it sounded so urgent I came to the thread to see what had happened. I'm very glad, Kim, that the shots are not too unbearable and I hope you are able to keep the pain down, I know how painful even a minor bite can be, so I can just imagine a really deep bite.

I also would feel hurt and aggravated if I were bitten badly by a stray (dog or cat) and kept being pushed to intervene on the stray's fate. Cat bite infections can be some of the worst, as I have seen in the doctor's reports that I type. While I understand feeling sad over an animal's fate, it seems insensitive to me to keep pushing Kim on the issue after what she has had to deal with. I'm sure it must make her feel hurt and upset. The situation is out of her hands now as far as the cat. I say just let it be and let Kim heal without pressuring her to do more.

Catty1
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I wasn't trying to push anyone to do anything...early on, she was upset about the kitty, too...

Kim, you are in a lot of pain, and I do hope you heal soon.

hugs

K9soul
06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I also should have mentioned, any time one goes to the ER or doctor with an animal bite, especially that of an unknown stray, they legally have to report it to Animal Control. It's a public health concern and Animal Control has to follow their policy. So to protect the kitty Kim would have had to not seek medical attention which of course I'm sure no one would have expected of her.

momcat
06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi Kim! How are you feeling? I hope things are getting better, the pain is decreasing and you're feeling better by the moment! Please know that you are and will remain in my thoughts and prayers :love:

nancys
06-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Sending prayers your way. :confused: Have you found out if you need the shots or not?

caseysmom
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I think Kim has started the shots...how are you doing today Kim? I am still worried about you.

kimlovescats
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Thank you for the prayers and warm thoughts. I do appreciate them all! Yes, I did start the shots. I had 4 on Monday and will have another tomorrow (day 3) and then on days 7, 14 and 28. So far the only side effects are gas, cramping and slight diarrhea from having to take 2 strong antibiotics at the same time.:rolleyes: As far as my hand goes, it is getting much better each day ... today it is much less painful! It looks like I got treatment quickly enough to keep the infection from spreading any further! The red line that was starting into my wrist is now gone!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS! Just continue to pray that the other shots go as well as the first with no side effects!

Here is a picture of my hand. It's hard to tell in it, but the infection was spreading down to the pen marks done by the ER nurse. I think you can tell how swollen and red my hand was though.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Kim%20and%20Jerry/Downloaded61708062.jpg

Kim

pitc9
06-18-2008, 03:43 PM
OUCH! :eek:

I hope the side effects start to calm down.

{{{hugs}}}

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
OUCH !!!!! That looks like a very painful hand to me :eek:. I am glad you went to the doctor and that you got all necessary medication!! A cat-bite isn't something to ignore...
I am so sorry that this happened to you, PT's best and sweetest rescue-mommy!! I hope that all pain and swelling will be over soon!
Hugs :love:

ramanth
06-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh Kim. :( Just what you didn't need. I've been on the receiving end of a cat bite (from Logan) and they are NOT fun. Mine got infected pretty badly but I'm so glad Logan was up to date on his rabies.

I'm so sorry you had to go through the series of shots.

*HUGS*

Feel better soon.

(Oh and Donna, I do remember that. That was a very not nice kitty. :eek:)

rg_girlca
06-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Very well said K9soul.:)

WOW Kim, he did quite a job on you. I'm so happy to hear that the pain isn't as bad and that it's getting better.:D

More prayers on the way that the other shots go as well as the first 4.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

orangemm
06-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Oh Kim, that looks awful. My heart aches for you. Please take good care of yourself..............:love:

Pawsitive Thinking
06-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Owie! that looks painful {{hugs}}

jazzcat
06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Ouch! That looks painful, and now shots to go along with it. You need a break Kim!

Sending you some (((HUGS))).

Jazz is sending you some of her awesome headbumpies as well.:)

kb2yjx
06-19-2008, 11:55 AM
From a RN, Kim I send you lots of prayers and hugs!!! The photo of your hand makes me so sad. In your kindness, you got hurt. I hope that you will be able endure the shots, and all the Clan wants you to know their paws are folded in prayers for you!!!!

caseysmom
06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Kim, How are you doing today? I hope you are okay. You are still in my thoughts and prayers.

kimlovescats
06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Thank you all so much for the kind words of support! They truly mean very much to me! I am heading out for my next rabies shot here in a few minutes. Wish me luck!:rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
06-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Wow Kim! That looks awful and terriably painful! Why do cat bites have to be so painful? It is bad that they hurt and can get so infected so fast but have to get the shots TOO? Insult to injury!

Being Miss Side Effect Queen here, I worry about side effects on anything I have to take. My side effect of choice these days is nausea.. NOT good when you cook for a living! Hope your side effects (if any) are mild and this be nothing but a bad memory soon for you.

rg_girlca
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Just popping in to let you know that I've been thinking about you today and praying that today is an even better day for you than yesterday.

Hope your shot went well for you.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

ramanth
06-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Good luck with today's round. :( *HUGS* :love:

momcat
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Miss Kim!
I'm so sorry that a cat gave you those nasty ouchies and I want you to feel better very soon. I'm sure that my kitty friends are taking extra good care of you, kitty nurses are the very best!

I hope that you will accept the tons of feel better purrs, headbumpies, and kitty hugs I'm sending just for you!!! :love: :love: :love:

Your friend,
Groucho

moosmom
06-19-2008, 08:52 PM
OUCH!!! It looks so painful!!

I'm sure your butt's gonna be sore after the shots, or do they do them in the shoulder. I thought it was intramuscular.

In any case, love and HUGS from me and the crew.

Moesha
06-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Hope today's shot went as well or better than the previous time!

carole
06-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Ouch Kim i feel your pain , having been on the receiving end of my dear cat Ash once, while try to stop him in a cat fight,i had a shot in my butt too, but i did not need the rabies as we don't have them down under, so i really feel for you having to keep going and getting them, it looks very painful and i know that it is, i hope you heal well and soon are pain free, take much care, love and hugs.:love:

catfamily
06-20-2008, 01:57 AM
That was a bad bite you got!!! so sorry your going through this.:(
I feel so bad your having to go through not only the shots but the 2 antibiotics to cause the uncomfort.
Kim,you've been through so much,i just don't know what to say anymore so I'll just pray for you.
This has been a terrible year so far for you.
That can only mean it gets better from here on in.Things will get better.
I can feel it in my heart.

Pam
06-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Kim I saw this thread on Wednesday but didn't have time to read it through. I am glad you aren't having too much trouble with the shots. That was a nasty bite!!!! All I could think as I read through your posts is why does so much awful stuff happen to such a sweet girl? In this case it was because you were being your sweet self and trying to help this kitty. Keep us updated and we'd love to see some pictures of your fur family when you get a chance. It's been a while. :)

kimlovescats
06-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Thank you for the sweet comments! The shot was fine yesterday, just a bit sore today but nothing terrible.

The shots are intramuscular and I guess since they had to give me 4 the first round they just did one in the arm and 3 in my very "muscular" behind!:rolleyes: In fact, I think that's why they didn't hurt ... never hit any "muscle"! :p Now I am finally thankful for my flabby behind!;) Yesterday's was in the arm and they will alternate arms from here on out.

Don't feel bad for me, I think I've discovered that if I just go out my BACK door when I leave home I will be just fine! Both my fall and my cat bite occurred on my front sidewalk!:D

caseysmom
06-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Kim, You are still in my thoughts and prayers. So after all your shots will you have immunity to rabies?

krazyaboutkatz
06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Kim, I'm glad to hear that you're recovering well and that the shots aren't too painful.:) Now please take care of yourself.

kimlovescats
06-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Yesterday from lunch time to bedtime was a bad day for me. My tummy was not happy at all!:( It wasn't the shot but the two powerful antibiotics finally catching up to me. I can't take it so I've stopped them both! I know that's a "no no" but my hand has been infection-free for several days now and I'll take my chances! I am allergic to all of the best antibiotics for most things, so that's why they had to give me two different ones. The Clindamycin is pretty nasty stuff. :(

Finally just before bedtime, thank GOD, I began to feel better and with a sleep-aid was able to get a good night's sleep.

The rabies shot will build an immunity to rabies but I think that like everything else you really should get boosters each year or so. :rolleyes:

Grace
06-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Did you tell your MD about stopping the antibiotics?

How long were you supposed to take them? It's only been 5 days now - correct?

I would hate to see the infection come back. Could you alternate days with them?

I sorry to be a pest about this, but as a nurse I have seen so many cases where folks stopped the meds too soon. And this is also how those nasty antibiotic-resistant bugs become so bothersome.

orangemm
06-21-2008, 01:06 PM
She's right, Kim........I know antibiotics are a nuisance; I was sick for days taking mine a couple of months ago, but please check with your doctor. Please?

Grace
06-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Kim - several years ago I got bit by one of my own cats. I was stupid and waited 36 hours before getting treatment. I ended up on 2 antibiotics, each to be taken for 10 days.

Along about the end of a week I got Thrush and GI problems. Try eating yogurt, and go to a health food store and get some Lactobacillus acidophilus capsules. Those should help with both problems.

kb2yjx
06-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Kim!!!! Please go back on the antibiotics!!! You must take them for the number of days that they are prescribed!!! OR there is a chance that the infection could get worse!!! Cat bites are just awful because, like us, the cat's mouth is very dirty(that is loaded with bacteria). And the bite is a puncture wound!!! The bacteria can get trapped inside if the wound did not bleed enough. PLEASE take the meds!! As Grace suggested, eat yogurt, or if you do not like yogurt, you can take acidophilus caps OR there is for humans, I think it is called Lactinex(sp???), which will soothe your GI tract!!! The Clan wants their Auntie Kim to get all better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: Tina Peepers has great empathy with you!! She is taking Clindamycin 1 ml. bid x 14(!!) days for her pulled tooth!!!

Medusa
06-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Just a thought: perhaps you can ask your dr. if you could try erythromycin instead of clindamycin. I did two rounds of clindymycin recently w/no side effects but no success either. Erythromycin has always worked for me. I know that each is prescribed for different reasons but it couldn't hurt to ask. :)

momcat
06-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh Kim, Please don't go off your meds!!! Listen to Grace and Sandra, they're trained, experienced medical professionals and believe it - THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!! If your meds are causing side effects, you need to tell your doctor immediately if not sooner. Just maybe there's something else that can be done for you.
I have to see an endocrinologist on a regular basis for diabetes. There are times that I don't want to bother with insulin shots or any of the other things I need to do anymore because no matter what I do the diabetes isn't going to go away so why bother. My endocrinologist is very supportive, we talk about it and she very often makes changes that makes all this easier while still maintaining effective treatment. Your doctor wants to help you but needs to know what's going on.
As always, you remain very much in my prayers!

kimlovescats
06-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I did stop both of my antibiotics and I have faith that all will be fine! I was on them a full 5 days and the infection cleared completely by the 2nd day. I will watch the wounds closely and at any sign of infection, I will quickly see a doctor. Remember, I was on TWO antibiotics at the same time and very high doses ... so they cleared it very quickly!

I have read all the horror stories online about stopping antibiotics too soon and such but I also have faith in my own body to heal properly. If I am wrong, then I have another antibiotic that I am able to take (Keflex) that I should have remembered to tell the ER doctor about. :rolleyes: These are the ones that I am allergic to as far as we know:

Erythromycin
Levaquin
Penicillin

other meds:
Codeine
Percocet (pain med)

Some of them don't suggest Keflex since it is a derivative of Penicillin, but so far I have always done well on it .... except the impending yeast infection I always get afterwards!:rolleyes: If they just go ahead and RX me a Diflucan pill then that's no problem at all.

I will try to remember to mention the stopping of my AB's tomorrow when I go for another rabies shot. If the RN thinks it is a big deal then I will see about getting a script for Keflex. OK?;)

Taz_Zoee
06-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Actually now that someone mentioned this......
Bruce's sister-in-law is going through a horrible illness and has been since about October of last year. And we believe it stems from having been on an antibotic for strep for a couple of days then the doctors got the culture back and she didn't have strep so told her to stop the medicine. Even though she was feeling better while on it, she stopped it "doctors orders". Then about a month later she got sick and none of the antibotics that would have normally helped her worked. And for about a month or so she couldn't even use her arms...AT ALL. She has lost too much weight and has relapses still to this day, about 8 months later. She is not completely back to her regular health yet.
With all that you do, I wouldn't want to see something like this happen to you, or anyone for that matter. I will hope that this will not happen and you will be all in good health here SOON! :)

4 Dog Mother
06-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Kim, I am just reading about this - I am so sorry that you got bit AND had to have the rabies shots. And of course, the troublesome antibiotics. I hope that you are feeling better each day and you know that you are the important one in all of this - it IS important that the cat be found and whatever needed done to be sure no one else has to go through the shots etc. We had cats when I was very young but I don't remember ever getting bit. Julia, my sister, has cats now and fortunately none have ever bit me although Cubby would have to liked to when we were trying to clean him up last week.

Hopefully this is the end of all the things that have been happening to you and you can have a good summer!

aki
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
wow kim! i am just reading this too and glad you're doing better. with all the times that sig has bitten me, i should be dead. LOL! i know your situation is different and scary tho. glad all is better. :D

Aki

kimlovescats
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I just got home from my rabies shot. Just two more to go ... one in another week then the last will be two weeks from that one.

I asked the ER nurse (an RN) about stopping my antibiotics. She didn't act like it was any big deal and said she "probably would have done the same thing" due to the stomach upset. So, can we please drop the subject of the "dropped" antibiotics now? I know you all meant well but it has caused more anxiety in me than was necessary.

THANK YOU ALL for your support and concern through this!

Hugs,
Kim

caseysmom
06-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Kim, I stopped giving Casey (I know she is a dog but antibiotics are antibiotics:D) anyway I stopped giving her some antibiotics after 5 days, she got so ill I thought she would die, it was for a parasite, after the retest the parasite was killed in those 5 days and the vet was fine with it.

I am glad you are doing okay. This sounds terrible but I watched kujo over the weekend and thought about you:D You are continued in my thoughts and prayers.

jasonjuicer
06-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Good luck!

kimlovescats
07-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Just an update. I called Animal Control back to find out the status of the cat's rabies testing. THEY FORGOT TO HAVE HIM TESTED!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe it! I told the lady exactly what a TERRIBLE oversight this was!!!:mad:

catfamily
07-15-2008, 03:24 PM
That is really BAD...especially when it comes to Rabies...i bet they didn't really care either!!!
People just don't seem to care about anything but themselves it seems...unless there like us...saving cats or other animals or helping people...otherwise they seem to be very selfish.

Laura's Babies
07-15-2008, 03:24 PM
:eek: ACK! They FORGOT? What in the heck do they think their job is?! :rolleyes: Geez!

jazzcat
07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Just an update. I called Animal Control back to find out the status of the cat's rabies testing. THEY FORGOT TO HAVE HIM TESTED!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe it! I told the lady exactly what a TERRIBLE oversight this was!!!:mad:
:confused::(:confused:

Moesha
07-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Oh dear! Have you finished your treatments?

orangemm
07-15-2008, 05:52 PM
...um, excuse me, isn't that their JOB? What a bunch of incompetents.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

kimlovescats
07-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I didn't take my last two shots. I went for the next to the last and got upset with the check-in nurse and left. She wouldn't believe me that the RN had stated I didn't need to be triaged and given a number to wait in line to be seen. I was already in a mood and didn't feel like sitting amongst a bunch of sick people just for a shot. I missed that one and my last one now too. I think I had enough shots to protect me anyway.

As far as the inept Rabies Control, I've considered taking it to the local news but just haven't felt like dealing with it. I really just want this nightmare behind me. I think it has really put a fear of strays into my mind for long term now!:(

catfamily
07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd be very afraid of strays also....well,it's over and your ok...that's all that counts right now.
Thank Goodness your ok.

momcat
07-16-2008, 07:47 PM

They "FORGOT"? That is simply not acceptable!!!!! I understand that you've had more than enough of this entire situation, Kim, but something needs to be done. God only knows what else they're "forgetting" to do and who might be at risk because of it. When you feel the time is right, you may want to consider writing a complaint to the Board of Health, the mayor, then county and state officials. This place needs to be investigated and held accountable for their collective lapse of memory!
I'm happy to hear that you're doing well and hope that soon this will be behind you. As always, you're in my prayers!