PDA

View Full Version : My cat family is growing

Denyce
06-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Well this winter we were feeding at least 2 cats outside, but perhaps more. A couple of months ago one of them, I think I introduced him before, decided to become friends and we took him in. He is a handsome male that WAS an intact tom of about 1.5 years of age. We named our little tuxedo boy Floyd because he has such an easy going manner. Although sometimes he is more like Hurricane Floyd and when he wants a faucet turned on he is Pink Floyd. But most of the time he is our Pretty Boy Floyd the outlaw that stole our hearts. He is hard to get a good picture of but here is at least one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/DSCN1245.jpg

But there was still another little cat out there that we were feeding. She was like a gray ghost. I thought for sure she was feral since you rarely saw her and if she saw you first she was gone. We called her White Tip since mostly what we saw was the white tip at the end of her tail. After we brought Floyd into the house White Tip decided perhaps she would allow us a longer look. She would hesitate slightly on the porch. It took a bit longer but suddenly she just walked up to my husband and rubbed against his legs while he was bringing her food instead of bolting for the rafters of the pole bar where she had been living since the beginning of winter. It didn't take much time for her to start to trust us more and more. It was at this time I was able to determine that White Tip was a female. She then showed up with a horrible injury to her side and the base of her tail looking like something tried to chew it off. It was still a couple of weeks before I could really handle her to even TRY to treat the injuries. At this time I also learned the "Rest of the Story" Our little former White Tip who we have since named Gumdrop is declawed. Yes people, this is someone's former pet who they dumped off in the mountains with the other strays, the coyote's and the bobcats and NO ARRRGGGH Claws. I was SOO upset. Some people should be strung up.

She has been tested and is negative and is getting antibiotics twice a day and is living in a cage in our kitchen. Unfortunately she is very frightened of the other cats, probably from being attacked. She probably even had encounters with Floyd while he was still a tom. So we are trying to find a home for our little Gumdrop but I thought I would introduce you all to her first.

Gumdrop
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/DSCN1347.jpg
You can see the hair missing and some of the wounds
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/DSCN1351.jpg

She is a tiny thing and HATES the cage but she is safe for now. We have her on a list at PAWS but with the huge amount of cats that the SPCA took in I am afraind we might have her for a while. So far the potential homes I had for her fell through.

Denyce

moosmom
06-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Denyce,

They are sweet!!! And I LOVE the name Floyd (that was my Dad's name). I'm glad you were able to get Gumdrop. Great job!!!

Welcome to kitten season!!:rolleyes:

jazzcat
06-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh wow, poor Gumdrop. I can't believe she's out like that and declawed. She's very lucky to have found you. I hope she will be able to settle down and become someone's house cat. Maybe time will help her.

Floyd sure is handsome. Looks like he has settled in nicely.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Randi
06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
It breaks my heart to see what little Gumdrop has been through. :( I'm so glad she finally got courage to come to you, and I hope she'll relax more in your kitchen, and you'll find her a forever loving home.

Floyd looks like he's settled in, and having a great time. :)

Thanks for rescuing these sweet kitties.

kittycats_delight
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Good for you for getting Gumdrop in and looking after her. You know maybe with a little more time and once she is healed up she will get more comfy with the other kitties. You never know pretty little Gumdrop may have already found her forever home. No harm wishing right?

Floyd sure is a pretty boy too. He looks rather comfy and relaxed on his couch. hehehehe

Congrats on the new addition and saving Gumdrop. With those injuries she most likely would have gotten a nasty infection and then who knows. Good job.

Michelle

Medusa
06-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, I can see where Gumdrop has some issues w/her fur missing, the poor little girl. No, not poor little girl any more. She found you and you're taking such good care of her. I have a feeling that she's going to relax a little more each day and settle in right where she is, even if she may have tangled w/Pretty Boy Floyd before you took them in. What lucky kitty kats! Thank you for taking such good care of them. :)

cassiesmom
06-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh widdle Gumdrop! Your poor tail :(
And Floyd, you are so handsome! How nice you look in your tuxedo. Look at those pawsies with the white and black! Please let meowmom take LOADS of pictures of you sweet boy.

GILL
06-16-2008, 04:09 PM
THANK YOU. For taking and caring for Gumdrop. She has such a sweet face. I don't know what people are thinking when they dump declawed animals. Our Lenny was found on the street declawed, nutered, and almost completly def at less then 2 years old.
That Floyd is one handson fellow.

catmandu
06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
WOW!!
I CANT GET OVER HOW MUCH LITTLE GUMDEOP LOOKS LIKE MY MOOSE ANGEL :love: AND SPUNKY MOOSE THE DEUCE WHOS A PORCH CAT VISITOR.:love:
AND FLOYDS A HANDSOME TUXEDO AS WELL , AND WILL BREAK A LOT OF LADY CATS HEARTS ON PET TALK :cool::cool:
BLESS YOU FOR TAKING THESE LSOT SOULS IN, THIS TO ME IS THE ESSENCE OF PET TALK, COMASSIONATE LOVING:love: PEOPLE WHO HELP IN ANY WAY THAT THEY CAN.:love::love::love:

momcat
06-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi little Gumdrop! I love your name and it's just right for you because you look just as sweet as the candy you're named for! Relax sweetie and let your loving guardians help you to be healthy and strong once again. There's nothing for you to be afraid of anymore, your wonderful guardians will protect you and keep you safe from harm. I hope you'll let Meowmie give you some lovies from me :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Hey there Floyd! What a handsome kitty boy you are plus you look so happy and content in your great furever home. I'm sure you'll be a super big brother to little Gumdrop while she recovers from her nasty injuries. Be patient with her and let her know she will be just fine. Would you ask your Meowmie to give you lots of lovies from me? :love: :love: :love: :love:

Thank you and bless you for caring enough to step up and do the right thing for these irresistable sweethearts!

Denyce
06-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Thank you so much. I am thankful she was spayed at least I am not worrying about her having a litter of kittens. *whew*

She is really a wonderfully sweet cat. She is sooo loving and cuddly. She is also one of the easiest cats to give a pill to. I hate having to keep her in the cage so much. We let her out in the morning while we are getting ready for work and then again at night for about an hour or so before we go to bed. The rest of the time is spent divided between our other 5 cats and the dog. It is quite the circus at our place.

It seems in the evening when we first get home that the resident cats are not snarling at her as much and she is becoming more relaxed around them. I have concerns however about my Deirdre who is EXTREMELY attached to me and is my major lap kitty. With Gumdrop wanting to be a lap kitty also there could be conflict but you can't know until you try. I think soon we will start introducing her one at a time to the resident cats and see how she does. But for now she remains on the list for PAWS and I keep hoping someone will come forward with a foster home at least from the emails and such I send out.

Denyce