PDA

View Full Version : My hubby had a car-accident!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
It happened last night. He isn't hurt, which is most important; but his car....:rolleyes::eek:.
What happened? There was a "family-gathering-day" of his firm yesterday. There were games and lots of other activities for adults & kids all afternoon. In the evening there was a big BBQ. And then they could sit, talk, dance, etc. for everybody who was still there. I didn't go because I am not ready yet to stand or do any other activities; but that was fine, because I prefer to be home when one of the kids is in the middle of exams.
Since several weeks already Bernard is really overworked. Because he was so tired, he stayed in bed till it was time to go (4 pm). He says he had a lot of fun with his colleagues which was great, because he needed some relaxation:). He didn't drink alcohol because he had a 1 hour drive back home.
At 2.10 am, he left the party and drove home. Then it happened.... . All of a sudden he "noticed" that the car didn't go forward anymore, because it hit a pole :eek:. He never felt it happen, so we suppose he just fell asleep while driving :eek:. Luckily he was driving very slowly, so he wasn't hurt at all. But the car is severily damaged and cannot drive anymore... :eek:
The fact that he fell asleep and didn't even feel the bump, is so frightening and scary.... ! In my opinion he needs a long vacation, as soon as possible...!

Someone who witnessed the accident warned the police. They were absolutely sure that he had been drinking to much, so the took his drivers license and took him with them to the police office. Luckily a test proved that he was completely sober :D.
Because his car was towed away to a garage, he couldn't get back home; so he phoned me and asked me to get him home. I was fast asleep as the phone rang, so I was frightened when I heard him tell about what happened.
5 minutes later ( I was dressed again and ready to leave), he phoned me back that some colleague was offering to drive him home! I was glad I didn't have to drive all the way there and then back home!

Today his garage brought a temporarily car home for him to use untill his car (Lexus) was repaired.

What a nightmare!! I am glad it is all over, and very happy that he isn't hurt; but I am very much worried because he had this accident... .

Thanks for "listening"; I needed to vent....:)

Barbara
06-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Oh no- that sounds scary. Bernard was so lucky he didn't get hurt. The car is - after all- not so important!

I agree: he should work on his work-life balance!

All the best for both of you.

Moesha
06-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Someone who witnessed the accident warned the police. They were absolutely sure that he had been drinking to much, so the took his drivers license and took him with them to the police office. Luckily a test proved that he was completely sober :D.

I didn't know if you meant that the person who witnessed the accident or if the police were sure he'd been drinking. But if it was the person that witnessed it, it would make sense that he fell asleep. It's been proven that driving while tired can be as dangerous if not more so than drinking and driving. I'm so glad he wasn't hurt! How terribly scarey though.

Medusa
06-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm glad that your husband didn't get hurt. Cars can be replaced; husbands, not so much. If falling asleep at the wheel seems to be a problem w/him, he might want to reconsider driving when he's tired. It's awfully scary and, fortunately, no one else was hurt either. So glad that this had a happy ending! :)

Freedom
06-15-2008, 03:42 PM
So glad to read that he is OK. How scary for you; we all dread those late night / early morning phone calls. You must have been so worried, until you actually saw him and knew he was alright.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-15-2008, 03:45 PM
So glad to read that he is OK. How scary for you; we all dread those late night / early morning phone calls. You must have been so worried, until you actually saw him and knew he was alright.

Oh my, YES!!!

Catty1
06-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Well - I hope this incident helps him reduce his work hours, especially if the boss is being too hard on the employees.

Bernard - the place will run without you for one week - or two! You and Lut and kitties go take a long rest at your oceanside apartment.

I hope he is ok, and you are both over the jitters. I am sure Bernard must have been scared when he realized what had happened.

:love::love::love:

Karen
06-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh, how scary! He'll be in our prayers, as will you!

Paul fell asleep driving once before I met him, but just ended up in a cornfield, thank goodness, no harm to him of the car other than some leaves stick in his grill!

jesse_3
06-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I am glad he is okay!! How scary for the both of you...I think a nice, relaxing, LONG vacation would definitely prevent another one of these scary accidents!

lizbud
06-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I am so glad Bernard wasn't hurt in the crash. Perhaps he should get
a physical exam from the Dr. A lot of men don't want to stop and admit
they are tired or don't feel well. This can be so scary for you both. I
hope he feels better soon.

krazyaboutkatz
06-15-2008, 04:56 PM
How scary.:eek: I'm so glad that Bernard wasn't hurt. It sure does sound like he needs a long vacation and hopefully his boss will allow him to take one very soon.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Very frightening!! Glad he was unhurt but he really should learn something from this and not work himself so hard - next time he might not be so lucky {{hugs}}

4 Dog Mother
06-16-2008, 08:59 AM
I am so glad your husband wasn't hurt - it had to be scary to get that call! It is sometimes very hard to balance work responsibilities with rest but it can mean your life if you can't find that balance. I hope he will be able to find it without upsetting his bosses.

Randi
06-16-2008, 10:01 AM
How scary! :eek: At least you got to talk to him right away and knew he was allright. As Liz says, I think he should go for a check-up at his doctor, unless he knows it happened because he was very sleepy. So glad he's OK. :)

Sonia59
06-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh Lut, it's so scary! I am glad Bernard is OK! The car is "nothing". Falling asleep while driving can happen so fast and you even don't realize it. It's something I have always been scared of during all my travels to the Netherlands.

phesina
06-16-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm so glad Bernard is okay! God bless you all.

shepgirl
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
You are both lucky that your husband wasn't hurt. I know what a loss a car is, but it's materialistic and can be replaced where a human life can't.
If this is a first and only episode of falling asleep at the wheel chalk it up to working too much. If it recurs I would encourage him to talk to a physician about it...our son has a condition that causes him to do this. Luckily it can be controlled.

gini
06-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Dear Lut - thank God that Bernard is alright. As awful as it is to say - it is just a car - that can be replaced. Bernard cannot.

I hope that this accident will result in a better schedule for Bernard so that he isn't so tired from overwork.

Big hugs to you Lut!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Yesterday we heard from the garage that car (Lexus) is totall loss :eek:.
Of course a car can be replaced, so the fact that my hubby isn't hurt is the most important to me :)!!
Now if only I could persuade him to go and see a doctor :rolleyes::rolleyes:; he is so typical a "man", always tough, but please do NOT bring him into the neighbourhood of doctors & needles :eek::rolleyes:

Pawsitive Thinking
06-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Tell him from me that if he doesn't get checked over to make sure everything is how it should be then it could happen again and next time the pole may not be the only casualty - he has the other road users to think of as well as himself and his family

ramanth
06-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Glad he's okay!! :love: