PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this product?

3muttsandaboston
06-14-2008, 06:45 PM
My dog Maggie the Boston terrier has a short nose so she cannot exercise outside at this time of year or go on long walks. She loves going for rides in the car and isn't afraid of anything. I have been thinking about getting one of these. What do you think? They look so cool and I think she would LOVE it.

http://www.sakiseat.com/default.aspx

BC_MoM
06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
It doesn't look very safe to me.

critter crazy
06-14-2008, 07:57 PM
I have to agree. it looks like the dog could very easily fall off, or jump. If it had sides like a basket, it would be different! But looks like a accident waiting to happen!:(

3muttsandaboston
06-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Well I have never fallen off my bike "knock on wood" and I would get the safety harness that comes with it
http://www.sakiseat.com/images/tether_lg.jpg

Did you read the whole site and the testimonials. I also watched the videos and none of the dogs had the harness on and they were balancing very well on it.

Cinder & Smoke
06-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Well I have never fallen off my bike "knock on wood" ...

... none of the dogs had the harness on and they were balancing very well on it.

Everyone, Human and Dog alike, can balance on a bike when things are 'going well' ...
It's when something unexpected happens - gust of wind, hit a small rock, turn on gravel,
get attacked by a loose dog, THEN your balance can become shaky.

As for the "safety harness" ...

MY eyes tell me there's enough slack in that hookup to allow the dog to
*flip* completely over the side of the seat.

You (and the Pups) might be a LOT better off (and SAFER) with one of the
"Springer" hookups to allow Fido to run along beside the bike - using his/her
own footsies for power. Several PTers use those (anna_66, ramanth).

/s/ Phred

Kfamr
06-15-2008, 01:40 AM
I don't see an issue with it as long as you're a good rider. It's no different than Chopper riding on a motorcycle with his 'rents. :)

I say go for it. Looks like something a small dog would enjoy.

Twisterdog
06-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Yeah, that looks like an accident waiting to happen to me. I have seen lots of people around here that put their little dogs in wire baskets on their bikes. That seems somewhat safer, at least it has high sides.

Phred, I don't think a small, short-nosed dog like a Boston terrier could possibly run on a Springer beside a bike. I think that is for larger, more athletic dogs.

3muttsandaboston
06-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Everyone, Human and Dog alike, can balance on a bike when things are 'going well' ...
It's when something unexpected happens - gust of wind, hit a small rock, turn on gravel,
get attacked by a loose dog, THEN your balance can become shaky.

As for the "safety harness" ...

MY eyes tell me there's enough slack in that hookup to allow the dog to
*flip* completely over the side of the seat.

You (and the Pups) might be a LOT better off (and SAFER) with one of the
"Springer" hookups to allow Fido to run along beside the bike - using his/her
own footsies for power. Several PTers use those (anna_66, ramanth).

/s/ Phred

Yep I have one but when you have a short nosed boston terrier even a short walk in the 95 degree georgia heat can lead to a heat stroke. You guys act like i'm going mountain biking or something lol...I'm just going to be riding down my very flat and smooth rural road with no traffic.

Cinder & Smoke
06-15-2008, 02:14 AM
(Springer ...)
Yep I have one, but when you have a short nosed boston terrier even a short walk
in the 95 degree Georgia heat can lead to a heat stroke.

:eek:

Ya didn't mention the "95 degree Georgia heat" part ...

I'd have *parked* the ole 2-Wheeler in the barn at about 76 degrees ...
Iffin Fido wants a bike ride above that - hop on Bub --- hope you can reach the pedals!
*Ring* da Bell when ya get back!

:D

Giselle
06-15-2008, 02:28 AM
What about a stroller attachment to the bike? Seems a lot safer than the Saki seat. FWIW, I cringe when I see small dogs on bikes in attachments like the Saki seat or a basket. I just pray that nothing ever happens to the rider and dog.

There's a risk in *everything* we do, but, mentally, I can't see myself bringing my small dog with me on something like a bike or motorcycle with no stable restraint. To each his/her own. :)

Ramble On Rose
06-15-2008, 09:37 AM
The harness, although a safety feature scares me. I pictured me riding with my pug on one of those things and falling over. The dog would still be attached instead of jumping away from it. I think this could really cause harm. Honestly, I don't see how any manufacturing company would agree to make it.

3muttsandaboston
06-15-2008, 10:06 AM
The harness, although a safety feature scares me. I pictured me riding with my pug on one of those things and falling over. The dog would still be attached instead of jumping away from it. I think this could really cause harm. Honestly, I don't see how any manufacturing company would agree to make it.

I thought of the same thing. I would rather Maggie jump off than still be attached.

Freedom
06-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Have you seen the carrier which goes on the back of the bike for 2 small children? Maybe you can find one of those on craigslist for a good price. It seems like a much safer option, to me.

lute
06-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Doesn't look safe to me either. I would not buy this. I agree with Freedom. I would find one of those carriers for children. It would be much safer!

Giselle
06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Are you guys talking about stroller attachments? ;)

What about a stroller attachment to the bike?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41x126vjT8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Freedom
06-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Yup that's what I mean. Thanks, Giselle!

boomersooner
06-16-2008, 08:27 AM
My husband used to ride bikes a lot, and when our son was born we were thinking about getting something along that line so he could ride with Mike...we ended up not getting anything because he didn't have time to ride anymore, but I digress....Anyway, from the research 12 years ago, the feeling was the trailer type carriers were much safer than the carriers that attached to the back or front of the bike because if the rider and the bike fall, the trailer stays upright and thus the child/pet is safe.

bckrazy
06-17-2008, 05:54 AM
What about a stroller attachment to the bike? Seems a lot safer than the Saki seat. FWIW, I cringe when I see small dogs on bikes in attachments like the Saki seat or a basket. I just pray that nothing ever happens to the rider and dog.

There's a risk in *everything* we do, but, mentally, I can't see myself bringing my small dog with me on something like a bike or motorcycle with no stable restraint. To each his/her own. :)

I TOTALLY agree... it just freaks me out, to see dogs riding on bikes/motorcycles. It seems incredibly dangerous. I mean, enough people fall off of bikes, without having a dog crammed on with them, distracting them, and either flying off or hanging if they crash! D:

The stroller/cart idea seems much safer. Even a basket seems safer. Or, maybe you could hook up a sidecar for Maggie? Like this! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmserna/2357430489/) LOL