PDA

View Full Version : We may have a new addition to the household....

CountryWolf07
06-14-2008, 12:41 PM
You heard it.

Possibly a 3rd dog to the Counts' household..

My brother WANTS to rescue this pit bull that the owner is giving away at work, for free- She is a 6 month old red-nosed pit bull. He wants a dog for the house he is moving in at Ohio State for the 2008-2009 academic school year.

Thought I'd let y'all know, what's going on.

Will update when I hear something.

Daisy and Delilah
06-14-2008, 06:52 PM
I hope you guys get her, Rachel. I love Pitties. Keep us posted. Can't wait to see those pictures.:)

Cinder & Smoke
06-14-2008, 09:00 PM
My brother WANTS to rescue this pit bull that the owner is giving away at work, for free -

She is a 6 month old red-nosed pit bull.
He wants a dog for the house he is moving in at Ohio State ...

Just remember - Ohio State LAW is very biased against any of the Pit Bull breeds ...
And MANY municipalities have 'no Pits allowed' laws on their books.

I'd check the local Cleveland area dog laws as well as the laws in the Columbus area
to see how restrictive they are.

CountryWolf07
06-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Well that mission failed.

Anna DID NOT like the pup at all. She was just growling the entire time, and she was trying to protect Rosie. The puppy kept chasing after Rosie, trying to play, I don't know, but I was paranoid. I pulled the puppy away every time she got on Rosie. Rosie was just SCARED out of her mind, and kept trying to hide. So... my brother was upset over it, and wanted to keep her safe from any "future" owner that may take advantage of the puppy and turn her into a machine, if you know what I mean.. So, he returned her and everything is all well at this household. Rosie is very happy and Anna is just content. This shows us that we can NEVER have a 3rd dog because of Anna.

Just had to update.

So, we don't have to worry about that ANYMORE. I'm actually happy because I did not want a pit bull in this house or have my brother own her. No offense, but I was nervous the entire time. I just didn't trust her for some reason, even only at 6 months old.

Mike was not happy about it, but he kept his mouth shut and he knew that my brother had no idea what he was doing, but my brother has a huge heart for dogs, and he was only TRYING to keep her away and allow her to have a good life. So.. it was worth a shot.

I did get two pictures of this girl:

http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08240/cimg7111959.jpg

http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08240/cimg7112345.jpg

Casper
06-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :)
She certainly is a gorgeous little girl and I hope all works out well for her.

CountryWolf07
06-15-2008, 02:40 PM
She had A LOT of energy... so it was interesting to have a "young baby" around the house for a day.. she is quite definitely hard to handle.. but I am SURE she will find a good home.. I have my fingers crossed. :)

I don't think it is meant to be to have a 3rd dog here ever.. again. Anna just did not like it at all, but then again, she may have been protecting Rosie from her. She definitely stood her ground every time she got close to Rosie. I felt so bad for her - Rosie ran to me every time, and hid behind me or went straight to my bedroom to stay up there.

Suki Wingy
06-15-2008, 02:46 PM
She IS cute though, hopefully she'll be easier to find a good home for since she is so incredibly cute. :D

CountryWolf07
06-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Let's hope so! :)

K9karen
06-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Aw, she reminds me of the 8 wk old red nosed pit I was caring for when I was attacked by the neighbor's dogs. Tons of energy and strong as an ox. But the cutest, most affectionate little thing.

I love pitbulls too, but I don't have the right personality to own one. It's best your brother opted out. The people I know who have pits, spent a lot of time training them and they're upstanding and outstanding dogs. I truly hope she finds a loving home.

luvofallhorses
06-15-2008, 11:23 PM
She's cute. :love: sorry it didn't work out, just means it wasn't meant to be. :) I hope she finds the home of her dreams soon, I LOVE her! :love:

cyber-sibes
06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
She's a very pretty girl, we'll keep paws crossed she'll find a home that is perfect for her. It really sounds like Anna & Rosie are quite content with just the two of them. I had a 3rd husky "guest" for 3 months, and having 3 is a world of difference from having 2. My little pack is quite happy with 2.

boomersooner
06-16-2008, 03:53 PM
My little "pack" Cassie was happy with just one!!! She still doesn't like Boomer. He is just way, way, way too rambunctious for her!

CountryWolf07
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Yup.

My mom said that when Rosie jumped on the couch, the puppy jumped on the couch along with her, then ANNA jumped on the couch to get the puppy to get off and Rosie and Anna were left alone on the couch. I was surprised how she could be protective, and yet, she can be annoyed by Rosie.

buttercup132
06-16-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm actually happy because I did not want a pit bull in this house or have my brother own her. No offense, but I was nervous the entire time. I just didn't trust her for some reason, even only at 6 months old.
Maybe I'm the only one who took effence to this but give me a break..she's a puppy! :rolleyes:
Look how happy she is in the pictures as well, oh ya a real killer.

CountryWolf07
06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who took effence to this but give me a break..she's a puppy! :rolleyes:

Again, this is why I said "no offense".. everyone is allowed to have their own opinion on any breed. Sorry. I say what I want to say. I am blunt.

buttercup132
06-16-2008, 06:52 PM
So am I and I think the Ohio media is getting to your head.
You don't have to like every breed no but you don't have to be so ignorant and small minded about them.

bckrazy
06-17-2008, 04:07 AM
I agree with Alicia.

Puppies are rambunctious and demanding... period. Regardless of breed. It often takes WEEKS, if not months, for other dogs in the family to fully adjust to the puppy and teach her manners. It's SUPER important to give the adult dogs plenty of alone time, slow introductions, and a way to escape the puppy if they feel annoyed. It sounds like you took in a puppy who had yet to learn many dog manners, and it sounds like Anna and Rosie are not very tolerant of that, just as they should be!

It's probably a good idea that the puppy was returned. It takes a lot of time, patience, and work to integrate a new puppy, and that is difficult when people in the family feel threatened or apprehensive. But, honestly, I doubt that this has anything to do with the puppy's breed - she sounds like a typical outgoing, rude, silly little puppy. It's unfortunate that her breed is any reason to return her because, well, it seems like she would have been just as inappropriate for your family were she a Lab/Golden/Aussie/insert-high-energy-breed-here puppy. She is UBER cute, and I hope she finds a loving family! C:

boomersooner
06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
We are still having trouble with Cassie and Boomer. They are together while I'm at school....he in the crate and she on her bed right beside the crate. But, I'm really afraid Boomer will hurt her by knocking her down because her back legs are getting weak (she's almost 14), and I'm afraid she will actually bite him instead of just snapping because her eyesight isn't as good as it was...So, it has been and will continue to be a slow process based solely, I think, on Boomer's maturity....he is, as someone said so well a "typical outgoing, rude silly little puppy!" We probably should have gotten another pup when Cassie was younger.

caseysmom
06-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Your not the only one. There are pitties on here that I love and yes it does offend me.

Karen
06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey, folks, calm down! Read the first post again! The biggest problem was not Rachel being wary, but that Anna - queen bee of the dogs in the house - has pretty much decreed there will be no third dog.

They did give the pup a chance, but for everyone's safety and sanity - including the puppy, regardless of breed, a full-grown dog like Anna CAN inflict major damage if she felt the pup had "gone too far" and it only takes a second - for everyone's safety, they did the right thing, and didn't keep the pup. They now know that Anna has decreed it's a two-dog family, and will be likely sticking to that, to keep the peace.

So calm down, folks, it's not that Rachel is anti-pitty, I'm sure she would have been wary of any 6-month-old rambunctious monster - a.k.a. most 6-month-old pups - it's that Anna is anti-third-dog!

Rachel, the pup is a beauty, thanks for the pictures - what a grin she has! I hope she finds a good home.

caseysmom
06-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Karen, I actually read it several times and still see it differently. I am not mad or angry with Rachel though I think she is a very nice young lady I just think it sad that people feel that way. She definetely said she did not want a pittie in the house and it scared her.

I certainly don't think Rachel should stay away from PT for this:(

Kfamr
06-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Good luck sweet Pittie pup, may you find someone with an understanding, accepting heart. :love:

I did not want a pit bull in this house or have my brother own her. No offense, but I was nervous the entire time. I just didn't trust her for some reason, even only at 6 months old.

It is sad that this mindset is still alive. Especially in someone who owns a Husky, a breed that is often on the BSL list right under Pit Bulls.

BC_MoM
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
You all need to back off. If you are offended by it, maybe you need to stop being so sensitive. Have respect for those who are nervous around the breed, don't belittle them for it.

Seriously. :rolleyes:

She definetely said she did not want a pittie in the house and it scared her.

I don't think she will deny saying it... What is wrong with her not wanting a Pittie in the house?

caseysmom
06-17-2008, 01:01 PM
This is a discussion. I just find it offensive to come on a site where there a a lot of pittie moms and dads and say these things, I have a right to my opinion also and would never tell anyone to back off.

BC_MoM
06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Stop taking things so personally. That is what everyone's problem is.

luvofallhorses
06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
I'll be honest here, I also took offense to it. I agree with caseysmom it probably upsets the people that own pit bulls on this board and the people who adore the breed like myself. and I took offense because I love and adore this wonderful breed. I really hope the pup finds a home. :( She is very cute, I hope she gets someone who is expierienced with this wonderful breed and loves her for who she is.

Ginger's Mom
06-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, I think if Rachel is unsure or afraid of having a pittie in the house, good for her for realizing that, and having the good sense to admit it and not put the dog through an adjustment period that wouldn't work. There are many dogs that I personally feel I would not be able to handle. Some of them are my favorite breeds of dog (I want a Chow Chow soooo badly). Not being sure that you can responsibly raise a pit bull to be a good and trustworthy dog is not the same as thinking that all pits should be banned and have no place in civilized society. Any one who takes offense at someone saying they are not comfortable training a pit bull how to behave is more concerned about their own feelings than what is right for the dog in that situation. A pit bull, or any physically and mentally strong breed, should not be raised/trained by someone who is uncomfortable around the dog. I think it was wise that the dog was not kept in this situation for a long period of time.

Husky_mom
06-17-2008, 03:29 PM
actually I understand her... I love pits and would love to own one sometime... Iīve been on the look out for a Bull terrier for a while now... and I undertand where she was...

bringing a new dog...in my case specially huskies take pack stuff way too seriously.... and adding a bully breed or any other breed for that matter would be a difficult task to do... I would be wary too introducing a new member... even more so a breed that was equally conflictive (dog wise)... and even more a lil rambunctious pup that could easily annoy an older dog with a prey drive....

when you know your dogs youīll be wary gettina a new one that you know nothing at all about his/her background.. I know shelter dogs are great and you donīt know theior backgrounds at all... but tell me wouldnīt you be wary or at least more careful about it??... I mean you certainly donīt know if the dog was beaten or what not and how it would react in certain situations... adn to top if off your own dog can be as sweet as candy and adding a new one might trigger something hidden in them for years... who knows..

adding a new dog takes time... and puppies are pretty annoying ALL puppyhood but why would she risk Anna or Rosie or even the pup get hurt just because the pup was hyper (as all puppies are)?...best thing was return puppy to someone who could give him a chance just as she did....unfortunately thing didnīt worked out but at least she tried....

as Karen said she is NOT anti pitty.... just that in her situation didnīt work... and BSL lists are plain BS to me I certainly donīt care whoīs number 1,2,3,4 etc... any dog can do damage and any dog can be plain sugar...

please donīt take it sooooo personally... as it wasnīt meant that way..

MoonandBean
06-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Puppies are rambunctious and demanding...
like a typical outgoing, rude, silly little puppy.

I just loved this quote. I was just so happy to hear that Sunny isn't unique :)

boomersooner
06-17-2008, 04:34 PM
I just love this quote because it made me see that Sunny isn't the only rambunctious, demanding, rude, silly puppy out there (from Sunny's mom)

It made me feel better, too, to know that Boomer is a very typical wild child! As he is tearing through the house with my husband's boxers in his mouth, I just have to repeat...."rambunctious, demanding, rude, silly puppy" over and over again! HA

buttercup132
06-17-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm glad other people stepped up and said how they felt too.
I don't own the breed but I LOVE them and for someone to start saying something about them that goes along with all the BS that is said in the media I'm not going to keep to myself.

You all need to back off. If you are offended by it, maybe you need to stop being so sensitive. Have respect for those who are nervous around the breed, don't belittle them for it.
Oh but if it was a BC it would be a different story :rolleyes:
What if someone who is from a country where BC's are banned came on here saying how nervous they were of a little 6 month old friendly BC puppy? I'm sure you would have something to say.

I did not want a pit bull in this house or have my brother own her. No offense, but I was nervous the entire time. I just didn't trust her for some reason, even only at 6 months old. This statement says it all for those saying she isn't anti pit. She was nervous of the puppy, why because of it's breed. She never said anything about it being because of how she was with Anna.

Karen
06-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Do not keep attacking her for being anti-pit! If she was seriously anti-pit would she ever have allowed a pitbull into her home, even for a trial run?

Back down. Leave her alone. Attacking someone is no way to change their mind, it never is.

She said Anna was the reason there will be no third dog in the family, whatever the breed.

BC_MoM
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm glad other people stepped up and said how they felt too.
I don't own the breed but I LOVE them and for someone to start saying something about them that goes along with all the BS that is said in the media I'm not going to keep to myself.

Oh but if it was a BC it would be a different story :rolleyes:
What if someone who is from a country where BC's are banned came on here saying how nervous they were of a little 6 month old friendly BC puppy? I'm sure you would have something to say.

This statement says it all for those saying she isn't anti pit. She was nervous of the puppy, why because of it's breed. She never said anything about it being because of how she was with Anna.

Wow! Are you a psychic or something, Alicia? Because if you are, find a new job. Actually, if someone was nervous about a 6 month old BC, it would most likely be because they would be worried about the nipping behaviour. I cannot blame them for that. Not everyone can manage a Border Collie, just like not everyone can manage a Pitbull.

If I did have something to say, it would be an understanding statement. Not a defensive one.

But nice try at trying to predict what I would say. ;)

Blackrose
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I was nervous when we had my friends Pittie Sasha over for the weekend because I wasn't sure how she'd behave around my younger sibling and Chloe. Does that mean I'm anti-Pit? Heck no, I love Sasha (and the breed in general) to death. I actually may be taking Sasha in for a couple of months when my friend goes out of state. I was nervous because she was a new dog in a new situation and I didn't know her background.

I think I would have been just as nervous if I had brought in a Lab. Maybe less so, because Labs aren't a dog aggressive breed. I WOULD have been just as nervous had the breed that came in been a dog aggressive breed, like a Malamute or a JRT.

I did not want a pit bull in this house or have my brother own her. No offense, but I was nervous the entire time. I just didn't trust her for some reason, even only at 6 months old.
As long as she doesn't mind the breed in general, I don't give a rat's ass if she doesn't want to own one. I'm antsy around Weims and Great Pyrs, but I don't hate them. I just don't think I'll ever own one.

My mom is nervous are Pitties that are in our house, but if she is petting a Pittie at Petsmart she doesn't say, "Oh, these breeds are all killers." She would just prefer not to own one. That's it. Nothing more. Being nervous around a breed of dog doesn't mean you hate it, it just means you personally aren't comfortable enough to own one. And that is fine, IMO.

Husky_mom
06-17-2008, 10:01 PM
if anyone said that they get nervous about a Husky.. I would not mind at all... Huskies are not for everybody... no matter if you love them or not...

I know what goes into them and if someone is wary or nervous or whatever... they must pretty sure have their own reasons.... and Iīm noone to change that about them.. I might say how great they are... but as I said they are not for everyone....

Iīve seen people walk away from us just because they "look" like wolves and "wild"....:rolleyes:... what about a husky wrestle... what about when they play.... that should scare the crap out of anyone that doesnīt knows them...

and as Alicia (buttercup) mentioned the BCīs Iīll say I love them but I would never own one.... why?... they are just way too smart for me... I didntīknew about the nipping...but regardless of that or anything I love them, but I just canīt have one....(this is my case only and Iīm in mo way offending BCīs... BC owners should admit this is true adn should understand my reasons)

caseysmom
06-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Well as I told Rachel in a PM none of it is worth everyone's friendships here. Whether we misunderstood or she feels that way sincerely she has the right to feel that way. I told Rachel I do get defensive about pitties and I don't really know why. When I volunteer at the shelter there are so many remarks from people that are hurtful and the pitties have been the best of all the dogs there though I will admit the sheer size of their jaws did intimidate me at first.

Anyway I am sure everyone knows Rachel has a kind heart and I don't want to see her hurt.

carole
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Honestly this is silly she has every right to feel the way she does,it is not for any of us to tell her different, many people own pitties and love them very much and have no problem with them, well that is fine, but it is a personal choice and she was not trying to offend anyone, to take offence to her comments to me is a little on the sensitive side, i think one should be more open minded,an example i simply adore cats, but i can still understand people not wanting to own one or having an interest in them, now if someone stated they hated cats, that i would have a problem with.

I have to say that in NZ, the only attacks have been from pitbulls,and there have been quite a few recently, so naturally it makes one wary of the breed ,that does not mean to say all pitbulls are dangerous,and i strongly believe it has a lot to do with how the owners raise them.

This appears to be a storm in a teacup to me, and i think there is no way Rachael should have been attacked for this comment.

4 Dog Mother
06-18-2008, 08:30 AM

I don't usually repond to these kind of posts because so many of you jump on people for what I consider to be no good reason. Do each of you consider every word you type before you post? If you do, how does that make you feel? I feel this is a place I can come and post what I am thinking, my concerns, my happiness and like so many others to vent about things if I feel a need. Do you know for sure the way you are reading this comment is the exact way she meant it?

I look at that post and see she is nervous around pit bulls - well, I have to tell you I am too, I have no experience with pits, I do have experience with adding many different kinds of dogs to a "pack" of dogs and I can tell you it is not always easy to get someone to fit in with the others. Rosie and Annie have been a pack for a long time. Another dog, any dog is going to upset them. Tucker created all kinds of havoc at my house - and he was 2 lbs when we got him. Dazzi and Pippi got into several painful and expensive fights over him. The other dogs didn't appreciate his nipping at them all the time which would set Pippi off trying to protect him. He got caught in one of the fights and had several cuts.

And the complete other factor that none of you are considering is that is Rachel and her brother are living in their parents house! A puppy needs a lot of attention and supervision. She may have meant she didn't think her brother should have a pit bull because he is not around enough to give the dog the training that he needs.

But the factor remains, Rachel has a right to her opinion. Why can't we each stop trying to take offense at something someone says and just accept that person for what they say even if it doesn't fit our own beliefs. When I was Rachel's age I had very little knowledge of dogs in general let alone certain breeds. Back then, there were a lot of breeds I would not have considered for my dog. But, I won't bother saying which ones because I don't need to offend any one else. As far as I can remember, I don't remember Rachel being one of the ones who attack (for lack of a better word) others for their opinions - so why hurt her feelings for expressing whatever she feels.

Daisy and Delilah
06-18-2008, 09:58 AM
The point in this entire situation is that Rachel is entitled to her opinion just like every other person in the world. Some people give their opinions here, but, at the same time, ridicule her for giving her's. That makes no sense to me.

It's a plain and simple fact that some dogs(breed specific or not)scare people for certain reasons. That's life. Not malicious thoughts, as some have implied. Just because this is a pet board, it doesn't mean we're all bound by law to unconditionally love every dog we see.

I am really disappointed at some people's reactions and hurtful words that sometimes come out on this board in a normal discussion. It's totally unwarranted and uncalled for.

I usually don't get involved in things like this but I think I know Rachel pretty well. She is one of the kindest, most sensitive, caring, and, compassionate people I know. In addition, genuine and loving towards her pets and family. It is far from her character to be hateful towards any animal or person. Give her a break and a break to those that have tried to defend her. She doesn't deserve to be treated like an ignorant, uneducated person. She deserves respect like everybody else in this community.

Cookiebaker
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Rachel, I completely understand and stand behind you 100%. Good for you for realizing what would/wouldn't work for your situation. That takes maturity and thinking things through. And thank you for your blunt honesty...we need more people like you! ;) I'm sorry that people jumped on you :( and I hope you come back sometime 'cause we need more Anna and Rosie pictures.

I don't blame you for being intimidated by pitties....So am I, and it certainly doesn't mean that I am biased or hate them. I would have had the same reaction as you to the same situation. I love pitties, but especially when they are in the care of a knowledgable and capable trainer. They are NOT a breed from someone who is "new" at training.

{{hugs}}

AdoreMyDogs
06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Rachel you did nothing wrong. Some people jump to conclusions and it's too bad. One sentence has produced some very irrational venting. It's a shame, you're such a nice girl. I also have found pits intimidating sometimes, although I've met lots of wonderful pits. It's ok to be concerned and it's ok to be nervous of an animal. Daisy and Delilah (sorry I don't know your name) couldn't have said it better.

I hope you come back soon.

Pam
06-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I responded in the other thread where Rachel said that she is taking a break from PT but feel that, since this thread is probably the cause, I should reply here too. Some of you will not like this but it is my opinion and I am completely entitled to it. I MYSELF would never own a breed that has been in the news as much as pit bulls have. There are too many awesome dogs out there that come with no baggage or reputations. That is just my opinion.

I recently saw a show on Animal Planet where a dog (not a pittie) who had been rescued from a bad situation, had bitten a trainer who was working with him to rehabilitate him. The dog later on, after even more sessions with the trainer, bit him yet again. The trainer insisted that the dog not be put down and he would continue to work with it in the hopes of getting it adopted out. That program really made me mad. Why was so much time and effort but into rehabilitating that dog when it could very likely go to a home where it would bite yet again and maybe maul a child? Why not concentrate on getting some of the sweet souls who are languishing in shelters, and ultimately being PTS, adopted? I personally do not see putting anyone in a potentially harmful situation, no matter what the breed, but if someone else wants to adopt them that is fine. It is just not for me.

The subject of pit bulls is a heated one for sure, much like declawing a cat. People can really get nasty with their replies. At the end of the day, each of us has an opinion and we should be free to express them.

4 Dog Mother
06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Right on, Pam!

Jadapit
06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I MYSELF would never own a breed that has been in the news as much as pit bulls have. There are too many awesome dogs out there that come with no baggage or reputations. That is just my opinion.

You dont like the breed, fine I can respect that BUT being the owner of a pit bull, its hard for me to read all the bad things being said about them. Ebony has NO baggage. She is one of the best dogs around. The media only shows one side of the story when it comes to the pit bull breed. Its not right and its not fair.

I love the breed, its hard to see them being put down all the time. I'm sure not one of you would like to see the breed you love hated as much as the bully breeds. A whole lot of the "sweet souls" languishing" at the shelters happen to be the bully breeds. They will never get a chance for a home when people think and believe they are monsters that attack anything they see.:mad:

caseysmom
06-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Donna, I actually was worried about you through this whole thread and hoped you wouldn't see it. {{hugs}} by the way PICTURES!!!

CountryWolf07
06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I feel I need to make a final post on this issue.

First, I want to say, I'm not against the breed at all, but I do not like HOW they were trained for a lot of bad reasons, but okay YES, I was nervous and wary of the puppy, it did not matter how old to me. Why? It was more of HOW Anna and Rosie would react to this "new addition" to the household. My brother did not think this through. I am sorry to say this, but I knew all along, this would not work out for the puppy and he would have to return her to the owner. Was I scared to pet her? Was I scared to approach the puppy? No. I was excited, but I just had a gut feeling it wasn't going to work out. I did go out and buy her a collar, I offered. My brother did not know what to expect, he just FIGURED that Anna and Rosie would be just fine and dandy and just go along with their business, but that didn't happen. In fact, he never did any researching on the breed. HIS reason of why he rescued, RESCUED the puppy, was to KEEP HER SAFE and offer her a good home! He did not want her to fall into the hands of a wrongful individual who would raise her to fight. My brother has a huge heart for dogs, he would do anything. So I am just surprised, you would view me as someone that hates pit bulls, that's fine, because you thought wrong. I do not. I do, in fact, think they are WONDERFUL dogs, ONLY based on how their owners RAISE them. It's such a shame how their reputation is a bad one to the public. So WE DID TRY, we gave it a shot, and it did not work out. I'm not going to apologize for that, because I did nothing wrong. It didn't matter what breed we brought home, like someone said on this board, HUSKIES are very, very pack-orientated. That's what happened. So if you want to stay upset over this issue, why don't you go and scold my girls for it? ;) C'mon, let's think about it. This is such a silly arguement that only has been caused over one or two sentences. If I don't make sense over what I'm saying, then it just means I am just not exactly what to say but say what I can say. That's all I wanted to say. Hopefully, you do know that I love dogs, but I do dislike some breeds for my own reasons, but hey, that's what having an opinion is all about.

Pam
06-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I MYSELF would never own a breed that has been in the news as much as pit bulls have. There are too many awesome dogs out there that come with no baggage or reputations. That is just my opinion.

You dont like the breed, fine I can respect that BUT being the owner of a pit bull, its hard for me to read all the bad things being said about them. Ebony has NO baggage. She is one of the best dogs around. The media only shows one side of the story when it comes to the pit bull breed. Its not right and its not fair.

I love the breed, its hard to see them being put down all the time. I'm sure not one of you would like to see the breed you love hated as much as the bully breeds. A whole lot of the "sweet souls" languishing" at the shelters happen to be the bully breeds. They will never get a chance for a home when people think and believe they are monsters that attack anything they see.:mad:

Jadapit, if poodles were in the paper as often as pitbulls are I would have never owned a poodle either. No one here has said they hated the bully breeds. You are missing the point. It is about freedom to choose. I am glad that you have your dogs and they have you. Everyone should be able to do the same.

Yes my local shelters are full of pitties and pittie mixes. There are ads each week in the local paper where people are selling pittie puppies (inner city people) which obviously know nothing about breeding dogs. These are the very same dogs that wind up at the shelters shortly after, God only know what, has been done to them. You wonder why someone would hesitate to adopt such a dog? Please it is not about hating the breed but being informed as to make the best decision.

Daisy and Delilah
06-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Well said, Rachel.

Donna, I have to say that I hope nothing I said has offended you. I love your dogs. What the heck....I love dogs period. Sadly, some dogs(any breed)can be trained to be mean by their ignorant owners. This is certainly not the case with your gorgeous girls. It makes me crazy, every day, to know that entire breeds can be labeled by a few examples. Examples that were born innocent and corrupted by evil people.

I honestly don't think anyone on this board is grouping dogs together by breed alone. I would also love to see pictures of Ebony, Jada, and Diamond.

cassiesmom
06-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I just want to say...

Although this particular dog did not work out for your brother, I do hope your brother finds a dog that will be a good fit for him. And that this dog finds a loving, caring home. I am glad your brother was able to rescue the dog from her previous living arrangement that wasn't working out.

Thank you,
Elyse

K9soul
06-18-2008, 12:57 PM
I definitely think there is a difference between being anti-pit (or anti- any breed) and feeling more wary around them. Anti-pit people want them banned or extinct. I doubt anyone here, at least I would hope, wants that. It is another thing to be nervous or uneasy around a dog, or any creature, because of what it is capable of.

For example, plenty of people prefer small dogs because if something goes wrong, a small dog can do far less damage than a large dog. There are people afraid of a mastiff or great dane because if it nips, the potential for damage is MUCH greater than a smaller dog (As PT's Anna knows!). Now, if I were walking my dogs and saw a bully breed running up, I WOULD be on guard more than if it were a cocker spaniel or chihuahua. Why? Because if a fight breaks out, EVEN if it is MY dogs who start it, it is mostly likely going to be a very serious and possibly deadly fight, because bully breeds withstand pain well and do not tend to back down once a fight breaks out.

Bully breeds in general tend to have a much more physical type of play, I know even my friend Vela talks about how her boxers play very physically. I had a boxer at the dog park really overwhelm Raven with his play when she was younger and she was really panicked, but this boxer was just doing his normal bully type of play.

It's very possible in this situation that Rosie was overwhelmed by this pup and that at some point, Anna was likely to really lay into the new pup. I would have been nervous too in that situation. If at some point Anna had had enough and attacked the pup and she fought back, who knows what the outcome might have been.

That said, I feel that pits are not in the news because they are more unstable and have more baggage, but because when things do go wrong, due to their power and gameness, the outcomes are much more grim and thus make the news. I type ER reports for hours on end with my job and get many, many dog bite reports of all breeds, large and small and mixed. Some breeds of dogs require more caution and knowledge and crucial socialization and training, and it's best an owner be fully prepared and committed to do this.

Ginger's Mom
06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Well said, as always, Jessica.
Donna, I am sorry that you were hurt or angered by this thread.
Did everyone see the Petwarmers story this week? http://archive.mail-list.com/petwarmers/msg00647.html Talk about timing.

luvofallhorses
06-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Pam,

with all due respect..
pit bulls DO NOT come with "baggage" - you have to be responsible and do right by them, that doesn't mean they come with "baggage" - EVERY dog deserves a second chance especially the pit bulls. they are very wonderful dogs and I am sorry some of you don't see that... :( we have had the best adoption rate with pit bulls where I work and make sure they fall into the right hands.

we screen people throughoughly for all the dogs especially the bully breeds. we make very sure they aren't failed again. I wish other shelters/rescues had that much luck placing pit bulls/bully breeds into the right homes like we do. Just because if they were treated badly doesn't mean you shouldn't adopt the dog, give the dog a real chance at a good life. and I am truly sorry it didn't work out for you Rachel.

any dog can bite and all the pit bulls I have known where I work wouldn't hurt a fly. of course you have some that aren't good with other dogs but that doesn't come with "baggage".. it can be worked with. I wouldn't call it "baggage" - this breed is very special and doesn't come with "baggage" - responsibility YES but "baggage" NO

Donna,

I am sorry this thread upset you. :( I too was hoping you wouldn't see it. I LOVE your dogs and also would LOVE to see new pictures of your beautiful girls. :) ((((HUGS))))

Animalhouse26
06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
I don't post on here, But I am a Pro Pittie Person. Love the breed. and I own one.. and am Fostering one atm. I Will NEVER be without one. But if you disagree.. then Just say it a bit nicer next time LOL! :) I Love the breed.. and being that I do alot with my dogs.. I see how people respond...and I HATE IT. People cross the street when I walk my dogs. *Sigh* It is kinda sad when people come on a forum like this.. and get bashed on something. Everyone has there own opinion. And I personally will never own certain breeds.. But that is My opinion. And I know some people.. well, A lot of people dont like Pitties.. :-/ It is just something I grasped with owning one. If someone shows interest in learning about them.. AWSOME! But, they aren't for everyone. And Dogs.. any breed feel fear... And that is not a good thing to show around ANY breed. I think Maybe she should have had a different mind set going into the meeting.. But going in Thinking about how much you dont want one.. I dont think there could have been a more perfect pittie to make her want the dog. That is oK.. Some dogs aren't for others! That is how it works out.

ANyways, that is IMO! And I hope she comes back.. And maybe somewhere down the line she will find the perfect dog for her life.. and home.

Husky_mom
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
regarding the baggage issue... I think all dogs have baggage....some good some bad... but if they didnīt had then how would you know about them...

for instance, Huskies "baggage" would be high prey drive.... some show it some donīt... some people may find it annoying some may find it scary..... just as the post above if someone were talking about huskies as such a bad breed I would defend them but if they said they didnīt liked them, thatīs fine... no breed is a gold nugget to be liked by all....

the good thing about this situation was that they realized they were not meant for certain breed and didnīt force the situation....

and I certainly think no one should feel upset, not even Donna, as a few have mentioned... why were you so afraid she saw this??...yes she has pits and we all love them, but there are people who just would not have them regardless of the publicity....In her shoes and in my case if this was a thread about a husky, I wouldnīt go insane calling stuff to the poster.. I would be mature enough to understand this certain breed (husky) is not for everyone and realize that what was done was the best thing for all those involved...

and certainly I wouldnīt want people saying "I hope Isabel doesnīt sees this"... why??... would I be upset.... no.... because every person know their limits and have their own choices... the situation would be soooooo different if the dog had been beaten, miscared, or somethign along those lines....

we all here love ALL dogs... but you know there are certain breed you would never have.... for whatever reason... barkiness, nippiness, lazyness, stubborn, way too active, too big, too small, too much hair, etc... and all that is the breed baggage....baggage is what comes with the breed and each indivicual has additional baggage based on how his/her life has been.....

luvofallhorses
06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
You don't think Donna has a right to be upset?!! I think she has EVERY right to be upset at what has been said negatively of the breed, she owns the wonderful breed. Wouldn't you be upset if someone starting saying a breed you own and love and adore and starts trashing them saying they wouldn't own one because they are in the news so much?

She has every right in the world to be upset. I love the breed and will always, always defend them and the people that are responsible like Donna own them. It's not right saying she shouldn't be upset. You can't just skip over something like that, it hurts deeply that people are letting the media get to them and you know they aren't bad dogs.
to know them is to love them!!!!!!!!!

Jadapit
06-18-2008, 05:40 PM
I have never seen anyone say a bad word about a husky on this board. How do you know you wouldn't stick up for them?!? I know everyone does not want or even like pit bulls. I GET that. I was only sticking up for the breed. If that makes me "insane" so be it.

luvofallhorses
06-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Donna you're not insane! (((HUGS))) Sticking up for her breed isn't insane at ALL. I guess I am insane too for sticking up for them, like I said I will always defend them NO MATTER WHAT and the people like Donna who own them!

Husky_mom
06-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I never said she canīt be upset... she can and she is in her right to do so... you are completely right there... and I NEVER said that she canīt... I said that if I were in her shoes I wouldnīt be...

if people talked how much huskies are in news and because that they wouldnīt own one.. well.. too bad for them.. for letting the media get to them...if someone trashed about them yes I would stand by them, but I donīt think they (pits) had been trashed in this thread....

Rachel clearly said she wouldnīt want one because of what would happen with her previous two... and we know what happened... Anna didnīt liked it at all... she never said it was because of the media... that it might have involved in her fear I donīt know but she never said that nor said anything bad (trashed them)...

I know pits are great and I love them too.. as you said the people who are followers of media are the ones doing bad to the breed and I donīt think any of us here are...

and Donna...please donīt get mad... if anyone said a bad thing about huskies I would know better...if itīs true then be it.. if itīs false I would try give the "other side of the story"... I personally love pitties and bully breeds, Iīm actually onthe look out for one myself...

a bad thing about huskies (said by me) would be prey drive... Iīve seen in my onw house with my own dogs what prey drive can cause...Iīm not blind... so if anyone asks Iīll tell... but I also have to tell the good side, just as you do with pits... and pits get a bad reputation because of bad ownership (just like any other breed) and you do right in defending them... but I think PT is well aware that the owner is to blame and not the dog/breed...

and for the record I didnīt call you insane... I called insane the action of starting a fight about soemthing that wasnīt meant for that... adn that again wasnīt you.. I understand your point and Iīm glad you stand by them, I would so too....

Jadapit
06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Husky_mom,

Thank you for the reply. I really do understand that some people would never own a bully breed. Some people have no business owning them. They dont know how to handle them, they dont research before they get them, they get pups from the BRB with bad blood lines. I could do on and on.

I wasn't putting down Rachel at all. Her brother probably wasn't ready for a pit bull, he probably hadn't done any research. It was hell around here when we got Ebony. Jada HATED her, she almost killed her the second day we had her. It took a lot of time and help from another pittie owner to get me through it.

I'm sorry I misunderstood about the insane thing.

Grace
06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
It strikes me that this entire post has gone waaaay out of control.

Everyone has a right to his/her own opinion, and the right to express it (think the First Amendment). Surely that can be done without others having a meltdown?

carole
06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I can well understand Donna feeling upset and defending pitties,but what must be kept in mind, is no-one here is venting about her dogs, only the breed in general, so it is not as personal as that, but it is only natural to defend your own, if someone starting saying things bad about black cats, you bet i would be on here defending them.

What must be kept uppermost in our minds, is that Rachel was not being personal, her intentions were not to upset or offend anyone, as she clearly stated, and if she had being saying something along the lines of not wanting to own a black cat for example because of whatever reason, i would not take that personally and would accept that for what it is , her right and her choice.

Anyhow that is how i see it all.

Grace
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I can well understand Donna feeling upset and defending pitties,but what must be kept in mind, is no-one here is venting about her dogs, only the breed in general, so it is not as personal as that, but it is only natural to defend your own, if someone starting saying things bad about black cats, you bet i would be on here defending them.

What must be kept uppermost in our minds, is that Rachel was not being personal, her intentions were not to upset or offend anyone, as she clearly stated, and if she had being saying something along the lines of not wanting to own a black cat for example because of whatever reason, i would not take that personally and would accept that for what it is , her right and her choice.

Anyhow that is how i see it all.

What you said in your 2nd paragraph - her intentions were not to upset or offend anyone. But others intentions seemed to be deliberately hurtful. That's what I was thinking off.

You don't have to like every breed no but you don't have to be so ignorant and small minded about them.

That is more than simply stating an opinion.

I liked the comment from 4 Dog Mother - Why can't we each stop trying to take offense at something someone says and just accept that person for what they say even if it doesn't fit our own beliefs.

And Daisy and Delilah said - Some people give their opinions here, but, at the same time, ridicule her for giving her's. That makes no sense to me.
I am really disappointed at some people's reactions and hurtful words that sometimes come out on this board in a normal discussion. It's totally unwarranted and uncalled for.

The nastiness is all so unnecessary - state an opinion, but don't jump all over another person for theirs.

Karen
06-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I am closing this thread, as it has strayed far beyond its original intent, and become something it was not intended to be.

Let it rest, people.