PDA

View Full Version : My FIL has Cancer

sparks19
06-12-2008, 02:32 PM
:(

We just found out a couple days ago that my Father In Law has Lymphoma.

Yesterday we just found out it is stage 2 Non Hodgkins Lymphoma of the "B" Cells.

Brian and I don't really know what this means yet. His father has an appt with his oncologist tomorrow so hopefully we will find out a little more then. Apparently they are planning on starting Chemo on Saturday.

He could really use all the prayers, vibes and best wishes you can muster up. Same with my MIL.

Thanks

Will update when we know more

pitc9
06-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Prayers and {{{HUGS}}}} for your family.

Karen
06-12-2008, 04:03 PM
He'll be in our prayers.

Medusa
06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
He will definitely be in my prayers. You and your husband, too. :)

lizbud
06-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear that.:( Your FIL & family will be in my prayers.

sparks19
06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Thank you everyone. it means a lot.

it's tough not knowing anything right now for everyone. tomorrow we should have some kind of pronosis and some more info after he meets with his oncologist.

thanks again

slick
06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
The important thing right now is to write down all the questions you have for the oncologist. I hope that he goes with at least two other people. As a cancer patient myself, I took a coworker along with me to see the surgeon and she "took minutes" and wrote down everything he said. It was such a help.

Oh yes, and remain positive. Cancer can be/is beaten every day and your FIL will fight this and win!!!

K9karen
06-12-2008, 09:08 PM
My prayers are with your family. Keep positive!

Moesha
06-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear this news. I hope there are good treatment options given to you.

ramanth
06-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Hugs and Prayers. :love:

sparks19
06-13-2008, 01:10 PM
The important thing right now is to write down all the questions you have for the oncologist. I hope that he goes with at least two other people. As a cancer patient myself, I took a coworker along with me to see the surgeon and she "took minutes" and wrote down everything he said. It was such a help.

Oh yes, and remain positive. Cancer can be/is beaten every day and your FIL will fight this and win!!!

Thank you.

I don't know who is going to the appt with them if anyone. I'm sure my MIL will be there so hopefully someone is taking notes.

We are all trying to stay positive. It's the worst right now becuase we just don't know anything and sometimes you can't keep the worst thoughts out but we are staying pretty upbeat... so are my MIL and FIL. They seem very positive although I don't know if that is just because they don't want to worry their kids or if they really are feeling that positive. I hope it's the latter.

We should have more news tonight

Catty1
06-13-2008, 02:10 PM
{{{{hugs}}}} Prayers that everything is treatable. It's great you seem to be a close family, and you will all get through this together, I'm sure!

sparks19
06-18-2008, 05:40 PM
This is an email from my MIL. My FIL had his appt with the oncologist today and this is what they said

He has B-cell Follicular Cancer. This is a slow growing cancer and he's had it for years and did not know it. There is good news and bad news to this........the bad news is that his cancer is incurable unless he has a bone marrow transplant that the doctor does not recommend right now. His cancer is Stage III and there are swollen nodes in his neck, under the arms, chest and groin area which makes it a Stage III. The good news is that they will be able to control it and put it in remission and if it pops up again they can control it again. Dad will begin chemo next Thursday, June 26th. He will have 1 chemo treatment every three week for a total of 6 treatments and that should put him in remission. The doctor said that there is a very good success rate with this type of cancer and people have been in remission for years. We are thanking God and resting in His Grace.

So continued prayers would be really appreciated. :)

Medusa
06-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Well, as the dr. said, it's a good news, bad news scenario. I know that you're all thankful that it can be controlled and brought into remission. Prayers continue from Ohio......

caseysmom
06-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I am so sorry Sparks that I didn't see this earlier I was out of town for a few days. I am so sorry about your Father in Law, please send my regards to your husband.

Catty1
06-18-2008, 08:54 PM
The good news is good...I know a few people who have had cancer, and more and more it strikes me as a disease that is not often "cured", but is controlled and managed, like diabetes or other chronic condition.

My prayers to your FIL and all your family. I hope the chemo has no side effects. I know it seems surreal...but thank God you are all there to pull together.

I wish many more years of health and happiness for your father in law.:)

sparks19
06-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Thank you everyone.

it really is good news when you really consider what the news could have been I suppose.

I hope the chemo is relatively easy on him too.

M&M's Mommy
06-19-2008, 01:03 AM
we'll be praying for your family, specially your father in law. May God hold his hands & provide him strengh and courage as he battles the cancer.