PDA

View Full Version : Telemarketers

Almita
06-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I remember on here, couple years back someone posted a link to help stop those 800 numbers to stop calling for like a few months or so.

I remember it worked for me for a few months, but i don't remember that website. If anyone knows it that would be quite helpful!

Taz_Zoee
06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I thought this was a one time deal. But here is the link I used.
https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx
I only receive calls now from my credit card company wanting me to sign up for some insurance plan.:rolleyes: Or the local newspaper wanting to sell a subscription.

Catlady711
06-11-2008, 06:04 PM

There used to be a 5 year limit then you had to re-register your number. I guess now they are in a congressional hearing about making it permanent.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/10/dnctestimony.shtm

Almita
I only receive calls now from my credit card company wanting me to sign up for some insurance plan.:rolleyes: Or the local newspaper wanting to sell a subscription.

Thanks, we have gotten already ten calls this past hour.
All for random things.

caseysmom
I just re-registered because I started getting calls again, It may not be a lifetime deal.

Freedom
06-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Some states are also maintaining Do Not Call listings, but I didn't find one for AZ.

http://www.azag.gov/consumer/telemarketing.html

It can take up to 4 months after you sign on the National list for the companies to obtain the update. SO, meanwhile . . .

Make sure you tell EACH and EVERY caller to "please put me on your do not call list." each company is required to have one. If you say, "do not call me again," or "don't call here again" you have NOT said the magic words and under federal law they CAN phone you again next week!!!

Almita
06-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Some states are also maintaining Do Not Call listings, but I didn't find one for AZ.

http://www.azag.gov/consumer/telemarketing.html

It can take up to 4 months after you sign on the National list for the companies to obtain the update. SO, meanwhile . . .

Make sure you tell EACH and EVERY caller to "please put me on your do not call list." each company is required to have one. If you say, "do not call me again," or "don't call here again" you have NOT said the magic words and under federal law they CAN phone you again next week!!!

Thank you!
I shall tell my family to say that as well.

krazyaboutkatz
06-12-2008, 12:26 AM
I signed up for this quite a while ago but I still get annoying calls for survey's,from credit card companies trying to sell me insurance, people trying to collect donations, and refinance companies etc. I haven't answered my phone in quite a while because I'm screening all of my calls now. If no one leaves a message then I know it's a call that I don't want. My phone will ring until about 8:45pm with these calls.:mad: It used to be safe to answer the phone after 7pm but not any more.:rolleyes:

BitsyNaceyDog
06-12-2008, 08:03 AM

There is one place that will call us 5+ times a night, it's always from the same number and always for the same product. :mad: We've told them 1000 times to stop calling us, but then they call us right back. I swear it should be considered harassment the way the call us. Next time they call (tonight, no doubt) I'll be sure to say "please put me on your do not call list". Hopefully that will put a stop to it.

smokey the elder
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Tell them to put you on their do not call list. If possible, record the calls. If they don't comply, contact your state's Attorney General with as much info as you can.

(I have to re-register on the Do Not Call list.) Caller ID and call screening work wonders too. If I don't recognize the caller, I don't answer. If they're someone I would be interested in talking to, they'll probably leave a message.

Randi
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
There's nothing more annoying than companies who keep calling to try to sell you things. I had a call recently from someone John had problems with in the past, and I remembered them. I said, I would not buy anything from you EVER, if you were the last company in the world!! :mad:

One thing that worked for a friend of ours, years ago was this; he sent them a fax after the office closed in the evening... with one word on each page. The next day when they came in, they had a roll of fax paper laying around all over their floor. :D I don't think the guy ever heard from them again.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-12-2008, 10:11 AM
My friend would ask them for their numbers and when they asked why she would say "so I can call you during the evening and annoy the hell out of you and see how you like it"

Alternatively, she would answer the phone then put the receiver in a drawer for a while so even if they hung up they couldn't get another connection :D

Gracefulsarah
06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
My friend would ask them for their numbers and when they asked why she would say "so I can call you during the evening and annoy the hell out of you and see how you like it"

Alternatively, she would answer the phone then put the receiver in a drawer for a while so even if they hung up they couldn't get another connection :D

That's too funny! :D I've heard of that being done, but have never attempted it myself. We've always been on the do not call list, but we still get the surveys and the people "not selling anything, but we have a rep in the area next week and want to set up an apointment to have them stop by and show you _________." One company called us 3 nights in a row between 8:45 and 9 pm. 9PM!!!! How rude! How do they know I don't have small children sleeping at that time? Or that I don't have to get up at 4 am for a long commute and am already asleep?

Cataholic
06-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Maybe it is because I don't have a landline anymore, and rely exclusively on my cell phone, but, I can't remember the last time I got a telemarketers call!

No hangups, no snaggled voice mails, no calls at 7 pm...just calls from people I like to talk to (most of the time :)).