PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon Meezer?

kuhio98
06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Do Meezer's get darker with age? Check out Willy's back.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Willow%20and%20Willy/2007.jpg
Here he is in 2007.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Willow%20and%20Willy/2008.jpg
Here he is today.

Will he continue to get darker till we have a black cat?

Moesha
06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow. He sure does look darker.

Karen
06-09-2008, 09:01 PM
How old is he now?

Jessika
06-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow, that's a night and day difference!! I've had kittens that were born white and turned out solid black and kittens born black that lightened to a grey, but never an adult kitty turning that dark so drastically. How old is s/he? Have you had her long? Maybe it's a seasonal thing.

I know with Aussies, the merles tend to get darker with age as Charlie is proving (he's a LOT darker than he was a year or two ago), maybe with certain kitty coats its the same?

kuhio98
06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
How old is he now?Willy (and Willow) were born in Spring 2006.

Bobcat used to call them the Goldust Twins, but.... Willow's coloring hasn't changed at all. :confused:

Catty1
06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
My vet says that cats are 'juvenile' up to two years of age...so yes, Willy could be getting his mature 'tall dark and handsome' looks! :D

Beautiful pair of gorgeous kitties! :):love:

krazyaboutkatz
06-10-2008, 12:00 AM
He sure has turned into a very handsome cat.:) My Pearly girl is now 3 years old and she's a lot darker than when she was a kitten. Starr is also 3 years old and he has a lot more orange on his body now. I've heard that Flame Points take the longest to get their full points as compared to other colors. I think it's safe to say that Willy won't get any darker than he is now.:)

CultureJunky
06-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Hmm well as cats are so into their looks, are you sure he hasn't secretly dyed it whilst you've all been in bed at night! Onyx black no 32 anyone? :)

catmandu
06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I KNOW THAT BO BO IS GETTING DARKER ON A LOT OF PARTS OF HER BODY THAT WERE ONCE A LIGHTER TAN, AND SO HAS JOHN HANCOCK, WHO IS EITHER BLACK OR VERY DARK TAN NOW.:cool:
YOUR GOLDUST TWINS ARE SO SWEET, AND MY FOUND CATS SEND A SPECIAL MMMRRRREEEEEW:love: TO THEM BOTH :love::love::D

cassiesmom
06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Willy, you are a very beautiful meezer, no matter what color you are! And Willow is too!

Vermontcat
06-10-2008, 12:19 PM
First let me say that Willy is such a handsome cat!:)
Siamese do get darker with age, especially in their first couple of years of life.
I googled it and came up with this answer from a Siamese cat named Zippy.

"The gene for the Siamese coloration results in heat sensitive skin and fur, warmer areas of their bodies stay lighter while cooler areas get dark (face, ears, tail, feet). This is why they are born white because of the heat in their mother's womb and gradually get darker. Siamese who live in colder climates will develope darker coloration than those who live in warm climates."

So not only are they born white and darken with age, but cats in a cold climate like yours will get darker too.
Give Willy and his sister Willow each a hug and kiss from me.:)
I just love Siamese cats, hopefully someday I will get one or two of my own.

kuhio98
06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
"The gene for the Siamese coloration results in heat sensitive skin and fur, warmer areas of their bodies stay lighter while cooler areas get dark (face, ears, tail, feet). This is why they are born white because of the heat in their mother's womb and gradually get darker. Siamese who live in colder climates will develope darker coloration than those who live in warm climates."
Thank you! That is very interesting. Willy and I appreciate the info. Willy hates to be cold! We call him the Heat Seeking Missile because he can usually be found next the warmest thing in the house.

Maybe I need to crochet him a little sweater. :p

Jods
06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Pixie my Siamese has darkened a TON since she was a baby. So I think its normal

Jods
06-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Then:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/Jodie017/IM000419.jpg

now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/Jodie017/cake009.jpg