PDA

View Full Version : How do I let them go?

Purr-tender
06-09-2008, 10:07 AM
:(I need my fellow PTers help with deciding whether to keep or let go most of my rescue furkids. And, if I do decide and can actually let them go, how do I go about finding the best homes for them. I have rescued and placed into no-kill shelters many, many cats and kittens over the last 2 years. When all the shelters were full I would keep the rescues here with me hoping to find good, loving homes locally for them. Well, they stayed too long and stole my heart. It physically hurts my heart to even think of letting them go. I have 17 beautiful, loving furkids. I do have a one room cottage that 8 live in, the other 9 live in the house with my husband and me. Through the day usually 3 are outside. Our home is no longer our own. As I have posted before, all my carpet has to be removed because of an epidmic of spraying. All efforts to stop this have failed. I feel guilty having part of my crew in the cottage, even though they are very comfortable. They don't have my lap to sit on like the others do. Every time I try to make this decision I think. ok... who can I let go? Each cat has their own unique personality, each one is very special. Considering the community that I live in, the long list in the paper of "Free to Good Home" ads, how would I be able to find a family who would adopt and be willing to pay a small fee? All of my "kids" are fully vetted and I don't expect to recoop their vetting. I just want them to be loved and cared for the way they deserve to be. This is something that I have been anguishing over for so long. There are a lot of very experienced cat lovers on this forum that I respect. I welcome any feedback and or shoulders to cry on.

Mary (The old Cat woman who had so many kitties she didn't know what to do:eek:)

Freedom
06-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I failed fostering each and every time I tried, feline and canine both. So you have my sympathies, but I can't guide you.

There ARE folks on here who have successfully placed cats, so they will be along to guide you.

dc_lost
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi, while I haven't been a member here for a long time - I've been a pretty successful foster mom so will try to give you my thoughts on this.

I love each and every one as much as if they were my own, kiss them, and help let them know again - they are loved - most of my fosters were previously dumped at the pound by their "idoit owners!" ... I help make them loving and friendly again and feel safe.

Though, I keep in mind there is someone out there that needs them more than me - to heal their heart, soothe their soul, or find solace after a loved one of their's has moved on. I like to think that each cat picks their special person.

Spaying/neutering, shots and microchipping does costs more than the $99 adoption fee - But if they can't afford the fee, they won't take care of the animal either.

don't know if this helps ((((((((Hugs))))))) it is hard to let them go, and I do have a down day after 1 finds their new home missing their little personailities :rolleyes:

catmandu
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
THATS A DIFFICULT DECISION TO MAKE, AND ITS NOT GOING TO BE EASY AS SADLY THERES NOT A BIG DEMAND FOR OLDER CATS OUT THERE.
I HAVE BEEN IN A ROOM OF GREAT CATS 2 TO 5 YEARS OLD, AND SEE POTENTIAL ADOPTERS WALK OUT AS THEY ARE NOT KITTENS.:(
I WISH I COULD HELP, BUT I HOPE A MORE EXPERIENCED FOSTER PET TALKER CAN GIVE YOU SOLID ADVICE!!
I KNOW THAT EVEN THE ANIMAL WELFARE HAS CATS WHO THEY HAVE HAD FOR YEARS , FOR THAT VERY REASON.:(
THE BEST OF LUCK IN FINDING FURR EVER HOMES :love::love:

jenluckenbach
06-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I have been a very successful foster mom, letting go of over 100 cats and kittens who have stayed with me. But, I had the aid of an organized rescue group AND these cats were always known to be temporary. On the flip side, I have too many cats of my own, I admit, and find it totally IMPOSSIBLE to let any of them go. :( These are the cats I made a commitment to and feel I cannot give up on them. So I can certainly see both sides of the problem.

If you feel that there is a cat among yours who would benefit from finding a new home, then concentrate on him or her. Just rehome ONE! Screen people to make sure they are a good match and do not apologize for charging a fee.

If you can do this with one, maybe you can do it with another.

FREE cats (from the newspaper ads) are not always an adopter's best choice. Play up the fact that yours have been vetted, neutered, vaccinated, etc.... Add the fact that you can describe their personality because of the close bond you have with them.

And then use your instincts. You CAN do this. And it might bring a sence of peace to your household.

Purr-tender
06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Jen, I like your suggestion of focusing on just one. Unfortunatley the freebies in the newspaper include fully vetted cats. How do I compete with that? I envy you that you have a group that you foster for. Our little town does not have a shelter for cats. There are sooo many cats here that need homes. Farm barns are often the dumping ground for many. I just hate that.

When you have a foster, does your group use Petsmart for adoptions? If not, how do they go about finding homes for yours. I did try Petsmart through another group and wasn't comfortable with it. They wanted to leave my little one in a cage through the week and I just could not do that. This group and others like it are an hour away from me. Which makes it hard for me to work with them.

jenluckenbach
06-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Our rescue group does use a Petsmart adoption center. And yes, we leave each cat there for 2 weeks. It is not for ALL cats, some just can't be cooped up that long, but for those who can, it is a great opportunity for the public to see them. And 2 weeks out of a lifetime, is certainly worth finding them a great home.

We also post them on Petfinder.com. We have a shelter building where the cts may be visited. We have foster homes who allow people to come visit their cats. We advertize in the newspaper. We do 1 day adoption events. this is perfect for those cats who can tolerate a DAY in a cage, but not a full week.

If other people actually neuter their cats, get the vaccinations, test them for FELV & FIV and then give them up for free......you may not be able to compete. :( But, if you focus on a time of a year that there aren't a billion kittens available, that might help.

Medusa
06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
When I was actively involved in rescue, I found myself in the same predicament as you're in currently. That's one reason that I found myself w/8 cats instead of the 4 that I had and was happy to keep it at that limit. (I now have 7; one went to the Bridge.) However, I did manage to successfully rehome 27 others, so I can tell you that what Jen said works to a degree: try to focus on one cat at a time. Also, I gave away a year's supply of vitamins and cat food w/every cat and I included that in the ad, which seemed to help. I know that it's an extra expenditure but I wanted to be sure that these cats were going to a responsible home and would be well fed and taken care of. Good luck. :)

moosmom
06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
I was in the same predicament when I lived in Michigan. I was up to 9 cats and knew I had to find homes for some of them. It is very difficult to try and choose WHO stays and who goes.

I was very lucky that Val (Dukedogsmom) offered to take Doogie and boy is HE living the life of Riley!!! I am so greatful to Val for offering to drive up to Ohio (from Florida!!!) and take Doogie. Although I miss him very much, he's so much better off where he is. Bless your heart, Val. Give that big lug a smoochie for me and tell him I miss him.

Then there was Fawny. She was a Maine Coon mix and I fell in love with her. Two women drove from Ann Arbor to see Fawny. Well not only did they fall in love with her (I rescued her from the Dearborn Animal Shelter), they also asked if they could adopt Carly, my beautiful American Curl. It broke my heart and I miss them both terribly, it was the best thing I ever did. But they at least were going to a home together and wll have each other.

You've got to put aside your feelings and decide who and what is in the best interest of the cat. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now because I HAVE been in your shoes. It's emotionally draining, but remember...it's kitten season and there are alot more furbabies out there who need homes.

BTW, I'm now steady and holding at 6 (with 2 foster babies in my bathroom who are going soon).

(((((HUGS))))))

Donna and crew

Purr-tender
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Donna, were you fostering for a group like Jen does? If you weren't how did you find the ladies from Ann Arbor who adopted Fawny and Carly?

I so appreciate the kind words from all and ((((HUGS))), boy do I need that right now.

Mary

moosmom
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I had worked in the newspaper business and had alot of contacts in rescues, having wrote a "Pet of the Week" column. It featured different pets (all kinds, not just cats) and I put the word out through my friend, the president of the Maine Coon Alliance Rescue Network. Right now is a tough time to find homes for rescues, as kitten season is in full swing and foster homes are few and far between.

Karen
06-10-2008, 11:49 PM
How do you let them go? Gently and carefully.

Tell everyone you meet in person that you have lovely loving cats, well-socialized, who need a new home. Call churches, for example, and ask that they put a notice in the bulletin. The more people you talk to, the more people they will talk to, and this can happen. You never know what seed you plant will sprout.