PDA

View Full Version : Brian Hurt but not Seriously in Iraq ****New Update Post #45*****

4 Dog Mother
06-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Christy got a call from Brian yesterday that he had been injured in a car bombing near the gate at his base. He was hit by some debris but was thrown and landed rather hard on his back and head. He was being kept overnight for observation of a concussion. Others had been hit more seriously and flown from the base and one was killed. Brian and Christy had a really bad connection so she had difficulty understanding and hearing him so hopefully he will be able to call today with more details as to how he is.

Here is the report being given out by the Associated Press

Suicide car bomb kills US soldier, wounds 18
By SAMEER N. YACOUB, Associated Press Writer Sun Jun 8, 3:04 PM ET

BAGHDAD - A suicide truck bomber who concealed his explosives under tanned animal hides struck a U.S. patrol base Sunday in northern Iraq, killing one U.S. soldier and wounding 18 other Americans, U.S. and Iraqi officials said.
Two Iraqi contractors working at the base in Tamim province also were wounded, according to a brief statement from the military.
Tamim has a mixed population of Arabs, Kurds and Turkomen, with the oil-rich city of Kirkuk as its capital. Three American soldiers were killed last Wednesday by gunfire in Tamim.
Brig. Sarhat Qadir, a senior officer in the Kirkuk police department, said the bomber targeted a U.S. patrol base in a mostly Sunni Arab residential area in Rashad, about 25 miles southwest of Kirkuk.
The suicide attacker rammed his vehicle into blast walls outside the gates of the small U.S. base, located in a residential neighborhood of Sunni Arabs, Qadir said. He added that the explosives were concealed under tanned animal hides.

She got official word this morning from a phone call from some one in New York who said basically the same thing.

We are very, very glad he wasn't seriously hurt but I am asking for continued prayers for both Brian and Christy and the kids.

moosmom
06-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Your son and family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank God he wasn't seriously hurt.

Condolences to the families of the fatalities.

Cinder & Smoke
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Christy got a call from Brian yesterday that he had been injured in a car bombing near the gate at his base.

We are very, very glad he wasn't seriously hurt,
but I am asking for continued prayers for both Brian and Christy and the kids.

Background:

Sgt. Brian, a US Army Vehicle Mechanic, is serving on his Second Tour in Iraq.
He's the Hubby of PT's Christy, the younger daughter of "Mom" (4-5-6 Dog Mom)
and Carl; and he's the Brother-in-Law of Amy (Cincy's Mom).
Brian's two Kids, Jasmine and Dominic, are often featured on the Findlay Gathurin threads,
as well as Diana's reports from the Family Zoo.

Let's all gather around this Pet Talk and Military family and offer some Prayers for Brian
and support for his Family.

THANKS!

Hey Brian ~
Please Feel Better SOON, and come HOME as quick as you can!<!-- / message -->

lvpets2002
06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Your son and family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank God he wasn't seriously hurt.

Condolences to the families of the fatalities.
:love:Same here.. (((( Huggss && Prayerss ))))

Daisy and Delilah
06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
God Bless this young man and his family. It hurts my heart to hear stories of those poor kids getting hurt. I can only begin to imagine what it must do to the family members. My thoughts and prayers will be going out to all of you. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}:(:(:(

gini
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
This thread stopped me cold - and brought tears to my eyes.

Please accept my prayers for Brian that he will soon be home and can be a full time Daddy to Jasmine and Dominic.

Thank God he wasn't more seriously injured.

I send you all big hugs.

MoonandBean
06-09-2008, 10:40 AM
OMG...God bless him! I will add him and your family to my prayers.

joycenalex
06-09-2008, 10:49 AM
oh no! prayers going up

AdoreMyDogs
06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh dear :(

I just said a prayer for Brian as well as the others who were injured. Thank God that he wasn't injured worse. My condolences go out to the family of the lost solder, how very sad and scary. I hope he gets to go home soon to his family quick.

shais_mom
06-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I've sent this on to several people - the more people praying the better I think!
big hugs!

CountryWolf07
06-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Prayers sent out to Brian & the family, that includes every U.S soldier.

lizbud
06-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh man.:( A concussion can be a serious thing & the effects can be
felt years later.:( I pray that he heals completely & rejoins his family
soon. Prayers for Brian & all the family here at home.

Ginger's Mom
06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
The title to Phred's thread popped up on my screen before this one did and scared me silly. I am so sorry to hear that Brian has been hurt. How terribly scary and upsetting for the whole family. Prayers will be going out for Brian, Chrissy and the whole family.

pitc9
06-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Prayers for Brian and you al.
Thank God he was not hurt more seriously.

Wow.... what a scary phone call that had to be! :eek:
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Freedom
06-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Prayers from RI.

Dakota's Mommy
06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It was very scary getting his call yesterday, but I'm grateful that he was the one who got word to me first. Obviously, hearing his voice, I could tell he was in pain, but that he is going to be okay. We miss him so much and can't wait for him to return home to us!

ramanth
06-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh goodness. :( Many prayers that Brian will recover quickly and come home safe. Prayers for all the soilders. :love:

elizabethann
06-09-2008, 03:32 PM
OMG. I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt. I will keep him in my thoughts. Hugs to you and your family.

ChrisH
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
That is so damn scary. Prayers on the way for Brian and you all.

Karen
06-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Prayers on the way, for Brian, for Christy, and for the friends and family of the other soldiers.

4 Dog Mother
06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Christy heard from Brian late this afternoon. The connection was bad again but he was able to talk longer and he told her more about what happened. He was walking away from the gate and about 40 ft from it when he heard someone shout. He turned and saw the truck blowup and that's the last he remembers. He was thrown another 30 feet and knocked out - when he came too he had debris all over him and some had penetrated his back. He is not sure how much or how deep the stuff they took out of his back was but he is pretty sure he will have scars. He had just built himself a "house" or "room" at this satellite base because that was were he was all the time. He found out today that his "room" had been destroyed and although they found some of his clothes and things, his camera, computer, I-pod and cell phone were missing. He is still at the main base and has not been back to the satellite base to search for his own things. (not that they matter much). I am not sure how long they will be keeping him on the main base and although he is no longer in the hospital, he is still under observation.

Christy, of course, was very happy to hear from him. It is very hard for her to not be able to see for herself that he is okay. Because he was sending daily reports back to the main base, he was on the computer every day and so Christy has been getting e-mails from him every day. He has been borrowing phones to call home with so I hope he finds his or finds his computer so he can stay in more contact with her.

So keep those prayers acoming- we all need them.

slick
06-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh my God, this is so scary.
Please pass on my thoughts and good wishes, and of course lots of prayers on the way.

lizbud
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the update Diana. I feel so bad for Brian & Christy.:( She must
be so upset with not being able to actually see how he's doing.:( All I can
do is keep praying for them, you & the whole family. (((Hugs)))

Rachel
06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Thoughts and prayers will continue for Brian. He has kind of been my soldier of concern since I have no one of my own overseas. I do hope that his tour of duty will soon be drawing to a close. To Christy and all his family - stay strong.

K9soul
06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Christy, Brian, and family are in my prayers. Thank God he was not closer to the explosion. How terrifying :(

Grace
06-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh my - I'm so very glad that he wasn't hurt badly. Douglas and I send all our prayers to all of you.

CountryWolf07
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I am so glad to hear Brian escaped serious injuries - More prayers are on the way!

captain
06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Diane,
I sit here in Australia, and always hear the reports about the situation in Iraq and think about Brian. He is the only person I "know" that is there.

I am so very glad that he was "only" injured, and hope and pray for his speedy recovery.
{{{{{hugs}}}}} to you all. You are in my thoughts.

Karen
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Prayers that either his computer is found and salvageable or that someone gives him another really soon.

Cinder & Smoke
06-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Christy heard from Brian late this afternoon.

He is still at the main base and has not been back to the satellite base to search for his own things.
I am not sure how long they will be keeping him on the main base and
although he is no longer in the hospital, he is still under observation.

So keep those prayers acoming- we all need them.

Is there ANY chance that his Purple Heart will come with a one-way Ticket to HOME?

Might be a good thing to ask in your Prayers ...
Please God, Send Sgt Brian HOME.

Feel Better SOON, Sarge!

K9karen
06-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Geesh..this sent shivers up my spine. Prayers and blessings to everyone. I'm glad Brian wasn't more seriously hurt, but this was bad enough. I sure hope he comes home soon.

gini
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Continuing prayers for Brian - Christy and your whole family.

ramanth
06-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Many more prayers sent. :love:

RobiLee
06-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I can't even imagine how you must feel. More prayers are being said for Brian and the family. Oh how I pray that he will come home soon and never have to leave again.

{{{HUGS FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY}}}

pitc9
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm glad to hear she was able to talk to him again and get the rest of the story.

Prayers sent for a speedy recovery.

cassiesmom
06-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Background:

Sgt. Brian, a US Army Vehicle Mechanic, is serving on his Second Tour in Iraq.
He's the Hubby of PT's Christy, the younger daughter of "Mom" (4-5-6 Dog Mom)
and Carl; and he's the Brother-in-Law of Amy (Cincy's Mom).
Brian's two Kids, Jasmine and Dominic, are often featured on the Findlay Gathurin threads,
as well as Diana's reports from the Family Zoo.

Let's all gather around this Pet Talk and Military family and offer some Prayers for Brian
and support for his Family.

THANKS!

Will do just that. Thanks.

4 Dog Mother
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Christy was able to talk to Brian for a few minutes this afternoon. He is being sent for x-rays to see if there is anything remaining in his back. He was feeling pretty tired and "beat up". And I think he was having some flashbacks because he said he couldn't stand to be in his room where he could do too much thinking.

I feel sorry for him and all the others who have gone through such bad situations especially those more seriously wounded and who can't be with their families. And of course, prayers go out for the soldier who was killed and his family. There was an incident at the base last week where 3 soldiers were shot and killed - one of them was a friend of Brian's. Their families are also being prayed for. Brian has almost 6 months left - I know for Christy that especially now that seems like forever. Brian's brother left today for his 15 month tour in Iraq. They were here a couple of weeks ago when Brian was home on leave since it will be awhile before the brothers see each other again.

zippy-kat
06-10-2008, 10:00 PM
{Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers.}

wolf_Q
06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
How frightening. :( I'm glad he wasn't more seriously injured, but still I imagine he's in a lot of pain. What an awful thing to go through. I'll be keeping him and everyone in your family in my thoughts.

Medusa
06-11-2008, 06:55 AM
At least they were able to speak to each other again and, hopefully, that was comforting to them both. We'll keep the prayers going always.....

pitc9
06-11-2008, 07:56 AM
{{{HUGS}}} and prayers

Cinder & Smoke
06-13-2008, 10:14 AM
How's Pet Talk's Sarge doing?

Has he been given some time off to heal & recover, or is he back on
full-duty again?

Tell him we're all thinking of him - and wish him a safe tour!

kittycats_delight
06-13-2008, 10:46 AM
wow....I am just reading this! It is so scary what is happening and the fact that it is someone that is an extended part of our PT family is even scarier! I hope Brian will feel better soon and if I could wish away the next 6 months so he could be home again I would gladly do it.

Let him know that there are people here that even though don't know him wish him the best. Please stay safe and we are all behind you.

(((HUGS)))
Michelle

4 Dog Mother
06-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Christy has not heard from Brian in a couple of days now. He did not think that there was anything left in his back but the actual doctor had not looked at the x-rays yet. He was still not working but that was a couple of days ago. As we hear things, I will update. Thanks for all the prayers!

4 Dog Mother
06-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Christy heard from Brian this morning and the connection was better so he was able to tell her a little more. They have found his things and it's all there but some of it is just a little banged up. They did not bring him the power cord for his computer so he isnot sure if it will work. He said he didn't think he was out long after being thrown - which he does not remember - because as soon as he came to he knew there were others hurt worse then he - he has done a little of the medic training so he began to help others. Later when things began to slow down he noticed that his back was stinging and hurting - he asked the doctor to look at it and the dr. pulled his shirt up and said - oh, shit. He said his lizard (tattoo) is now missing part of the end of his tail. Additional stuff was taken out of his right side and back. He is feeling better but not back to work yet. There was some wounds in the cartilage of his ear and jaw. But overall, he was one lucky guy! He definitely thinks someone was looking out for him because he doesn't know how a metal plate missed him because it had to pass him to go through the door of the truck it went through. Lots of trucks were damaged during the attack and are now being brought to the main base he is now staying at. His "room" was completely destroyed - they brought back a chunk to show him. I guess he was very lucky he was not inside it when the bomb blew.

So many of you have said that you have been praying for him during his time in Iraq. I am sure that is what has helped him get through this without being hurt worse. So Keep those prayers acoming. He - we - really need them.

On a side note, Christy opened the parish newsletter and found this paragraph on the school news page.

A special moment for Mrs. Wilkins (school secretary) was the day that Jasmine Corbitt came to the school with her mom (Christina), brother, and a man carrying Jasmine. I knew who this man was but I asked Jasmine who he was and with so much love and pride in her voice and eyes, she replied "My Dad" as she put her arms around his neck! Tears filled my eyes because I knew that her dad had been in Iraq and was home on leave. They were able to enjoy a short vacation as a family in Cincinnati before he has to return to Iraq until December. Several people in the office shook his hand and thanked him for his service to our country. Before he left, I asked if I could give him a hug. With the hug, I too thanked him and asked God to bless him. Thank you, Brian Corbitt for that touching moment and the realization of how much we owe the men and women who fight for our freedom. Godspeed!

Wasn't it interesting that came out the same week Brian was hurt?

gini
06-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I will continue to say prayers for Brian and your whole family. I know these updates mean a lot to all of us - because it is a first hand reminder of what all of our young men are going through for us.

I also want to pray that somehow things in Iraq can be resolved and we can leave and these men and women can go on to live a normal life with their loved ones.

Lilith Cherry
06-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Love and prayers continuing for Brian and all the family. We are all thinking of you and all the other brave troops out there; come home safely.

DJFyrewolf36
06-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Prayers on the way. I feel for all the soldiers and their familes affected by conflicts worldwide. My brother has been hurt several times in the line of duty and I know what its like to fear that there might be a time when he may not come back :(

*HUGS* Thank God Brian is safe. I will pray for him and every soldier serving our country.

krazyaboutkatz
06-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm glad to hear that Brian will be okay.:) I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

cyber-sibes
06-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Gosh, I just read this Diana, I'm so glad Brian is ok. Prayers for him, Christy & the kids, & all of you.

We're living in Navy housing right now, and every day I feel deep gratitude for the service rendered by all of our active military neighbors and their families. They are wonderful men and women, we couldn't ask to be part of a nicer community of people. God bless all of them and keep them safe.

ChrisH
06-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Prayers continuing. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/grouphug.gif

Pawsitive Thinking
06-19-2008, 09:40 AM
A special moment for Mrs. Wilkins (school secretary) was the day that Jasmine Corbitt came to the school with her mom (Christina), brother, and a man carrying Jasmine. I knew who this man was but I asked Jasmine who he was and with so much love and pride in her voice and eyes, she replied "My Dad" as she put her arms around his neck! Tears filled my eyes because I knew that her dad had been in Iraq and was home on leave. They were able to enjoy a short vacation as a family in Cincinnati before he has to return to Iraq until December. Several people in the office shook his hand and thanked him for his service to our country. Before he left, I asked if I could give him a hug. With the hug, I too thanked him and asked God to bless him. Thank you, Brian Corbitt for that touching moment and the realization of how much we owe the men and women who fight for our freedom. Godspeed!

LES :( thinking of "our" Brian and all his brave comrades

Cinder & Smoke
07-07-2008, 03:16 PM
How's "Our" Sgt. Brian doing these days??

Here's hoping he's healed up and is feeling A-OK again.

Is he back on full duty now?

Hey Brian ~
We're all thinking about you, and sending Prayers for your safety, and for
all your Comrades, too.

Stay Safe, Sarge!
;)

4 Dog Mother
07-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Brian is back on full duty now. He has rebuilt his "home". He is having some trouble with flashbacks and depression over his friends that were more seriously hurt or killed. I think he is realizing how much Christy and the kids mean to him because he is contacting them much more often and sending gifts occasionally. (Christy received 2 dozen roses about 3 weeks ago). At Brian's request, Christy has set Jasmine up with an e-mail address and they are sending letters back and forth. Jasmine's are dictated to her mother who is pretty good at getting her word for word. However, in one he told Jasmine he was rebuilding his "house" again and she wanted to know what happened to the first one (she has not been told he was hurt and the "house" blew down). Got to watch what you say to these kids - they remember things alot better than you do and she knew she hadn't heard anything about his house disappearing. He told her about the sand storms they have and how one blew his house down. I know you shouldn't lie to kids but she already worries about her dad and we don't want her getting focused on that.

He got official word that his return date is November 17th. He should be at Fort Drum, NY on that date. Now just to get that house in Cincinnati sold!

cyber-sibes
07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I can only imagine how relieved Christy & all the family are that he's ok, and he has a return date.
I'm glad he has access to the internet so he & Jasmine can stay in touch with e-mail.:):love::)
We continue to pray for him, and your family. Prayers that the house sells soon, too.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
17th November can't come soon enough

Laura's Babies
07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Wow! I am just now seeing this thread. Thank God he is alright!!! I have one grandson over there and it worries me to death, have another one headed over there..

My hear and prayers go out to the families that lost someone in this war and I pray God keeps the ones there SAFE!

Cincy'sMom
07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Wow... I am surprised he will be home in Novmber. I was expecting December, but glad to hear he will be home for Thanksgiving!!! Only 4 months to go!! Has to be relief to Christy to know the end is in site...at least for this tour.

ramanth
07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Continued hugs and prayers for Brian and you all. :love:

KYS
07-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Sending lots of hugs and prayers for all. Glad he will be home in Nov.

gini
07-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Brian has a beautiful wife and two children that I could just gobble up - especially my blueberry buddy!! And oh, Jasmine - you are soooo cute!

It truly will be a glorious THANKSGIVING when Brian returns home.

Continued prayers for Brian and all of our service men and women who are still there!!