PDA

View Full Version : What are the best genders for having 3 cats get along?

Pembroke_Corgi
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I am thinking about getting a 3rd cat sometime in the near future. It will be either a kitten or an adult who is already used to dogs. I already have a female and a male cat (they are spayed and neutered) and the new cat will be neutered as well of course.

Does gender make a difference if the cats are all fixed? If so, would it be better to introduce a new female or male into the house?

My current cats are not really buddies (each of them offer more affection to the dogs than to each other), but they don't really fight, either (but they did when we first introduced Pip). I would like to get another cat but I want to do so without disrupting the other two as much as I can.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

krazyaboutkatz
06-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I have more males than females and to me the males seem to be more loving but there are always exceptions. I think that if you adopt an easy going cat then it doesn't matter whether it's a male or a female. If you adopt a kitten then you won't really know his/her true personality for a while but if you adopt an adult you should know what their personality will be.:) Just try to stay away from a cat that has a dominant alpha type of personality and you should be okay. Good luck.:)

GILL
06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I have too agree, the males seem to be more loving, BUT we have had girls that put the boys to shame. Patches was my girl and I think that Mits found her diary then added a few pages. Missy was my wife baby all the way.
The CREW now stands at 5 girls (Princess, ET, sweety, Boots, and Little Bear)
Princess is the house mom, love on her trems. ET is the Divia, only when she wants loving, by who and how much. Boots is my girl only on the bed before we go to sleep. Sweety is a feral and cane not be touoched, Little Bear will settle in on your lap when you can get a hold of her.
ON THE OTHER HAND. the 7 guys? Peak will be all over you at any time. Mits is my boy and has to have loving 2-3 times an evening and before we go to sleep, Bart again is m boy and loves to sit on my lap and whatch TV. Lenny and Bailey we can adore when they say. Chessie is my wifes lover and will tell her when she is not providing enough. Lucky is still to young , but does seem too be a lover.

catmandu
06-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I TOO THINK THAT THE GENDER IS IRRELEVANT, IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW THE CAT HAS GOTTEN ALONG WITH OTHER CATS, WIOTH HER LITTERMATES. IF THEY ARE STRAYS AND HAVE HAD TO COMPETE FOOR FOOD, THEN THEY WILL HAVE A MORE DIFFICULT ADJUSTMENT THAN A CAT WHO COMES FROM A SITUATION WHERE THEY LIVE WITH OTHER CATS IN A SAFE ENVIROMENT.
THATS WHERE ADOPTING A CAT WHOSE 2 OR OLDER IS INVALUABLE AS YOU ALREADY HAVE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA OF THIER PURRRRRRRRRRRSONALITY.
HAVE FUN FINDING CAT NUMBER THREE!!!:love::cool::D:)

jazzcat
06-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I currently have three males and 4 females and they all fight equally. In my house the only ones that get along well are littermates. I also have to add that my males are all "sensitive" and I have the most behavioral problems with them.

The main thing that seemed to help was age. Introductions were easier when adding a kitten instead of an adult with my guys.

Freedom
06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I have 6 girls, 4 boys.

All I ever heard as a rule of thumb was that the second cat should be the opposite sex. After that, I never heard anything, it all depends on the personalities.

The one thing I have heard is try to get only one Queen, as multiple Queens will fight. I am fortunate, I only have Vita, and I didn't know about that as I added cats. I doubt it would have changed anything, kitty needs a home, I take 'em in. :rolleyes:

A Queen has a much larger head than other cats. Vita's head is a huge circle, and almost twice the size of the other females here. And oh yeah, she is BOSS! EVERYONE bows down to her, male and female, feline AND canine. She gets a bit nippy when humans don't respect her regal highness! But most of the time she is not trying to boss me, just get some petting so that is fine as well.

As for introductions, have the easiest one at 3 days and the longest at almost 4 weeks! Just keep the water squirt bottle handy. Keep the newbie separated for a few days, behind closed doors, and swap who is in the bedroom and who is out roaming the house. Remember the newbie has to get used to the new house sights, sounds, smells, routines, in addition to the residents!

catmandu
06-09-2008, 05:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/cats737.jpg
MY PRINCESS HAS BEEN HERE GOING ON 15 YERAS IN TWO MONTHS, AND SHE STILL RUNS AND HISSES WHEN THE OTHER CATS GET TOO CLOSE AS SHE WAS A STRAY :love:AND HAD TO FIGHT FOR FOOD FOR HER KITTENS.:love::love:
AND YET TUBSTER PANTHER WAS A STRAY:D AND TUBBY 2 ANGEL:love:, AND SCRAPPY 2 :eek:, AND THEY ALL GET ALONG WELL WITH THE OTHERS.
SO ITS THIER PURRSONALITY , RATHER THAN THE GENDER THAT I THINK IS THE DECIDING FACTOR.:D:D

Pembroke_Corgi
06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone!! :) Now the trouble is going to be deciding which cat to adopt! I'm such a sucker and I have the strongest urge to take them ALL home. I actually stopped by petsmart last night (they have a cat adoption center) and of course I fell in love with...all of the cats there!

I'm planning on visiting our animal shelter this weekend. I know that I need a cat that likes dogs or one that is young enough to learn to like them...otherwise they won't fit in very well with us.

If and when I find a cat, there will be pictures of course!! :)