PDA

View Full Version : GEORGIA PTers! I NEED YOUR HELP! (Update: Post #45)

BC_MoM
06-07-2008, 10:12 AM
There is a very very weak Border Collie at the Chattooga County Animal Control in Summerville, GA. He has an injured eye and was too weak to even stand up for his photo to be taken.

Hull's Haven BCR in Canada has offered to take him, and would like to fly him from GA to North Dakota (at their expense - hoping for donations) and rescue him.

Is there ANYONE who could pull him ASAP? 1) He may not survive much longer 2) Dogs at this shelter only have 3 days before they are killed, and he has already been there at least 2!

Please respond here ASAP or email me at [email protected]

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/GA316/GA316.11005111-1-x.jpg
Yes, those are flies on his face.
http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/GA316/GA316.11005111-2-x.jpg
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11005111

lute
06-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Oh how I wish I lived in Georgia! I'd pull him in a heart beat! I really hope this poor soul gets saved and gets a chance at the life he deserves! Please keep us updated! He is in my prayers.

ramanth
06-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Poor guy. :( I hope someone can get him.

Animalhouse26
06-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Hey Jessica -- this is Kay on Sarah's name (I'm at her house and don't feel like signing out.)

Try posting a few ads on Georgia's Craigslist - maybe someone there could help.

BC_MoM
06-07-2008, 09:53 PM
No word yet. :(

bckrazy
06-07-2008, 09:56 PM
OMG. :( I hope some one can save that poor boy... I can only imagine what he's been through.

K9karen
06-07-2008, 10:40 PM
:( I'm sick and broken hearted. That poor, innocent, precious boy. I hope somebody responds...

Daisy and Delilah
06-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Here is a link to a BC rescue here in my area. Not in Georgia but she might be able to help. Good luck. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

http://www.bcrsq.com/index_files/Contact.htm

3muttsandaboston
06-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Try to contact the Ga Aussie and Border collie rescue. I'm sorry but I cannot get him. :( http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/GA454.html

Aspen and Misty
06-08-2008, 02:20 AM
I think I may be able to help, I live very near that shelter.

I have emailed you.

Ashley

3muttsandaboston
06-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Any update on this guy did anyone save him?

Daisy and Delilah
06-09-2008, 06:51 AM
I was also wondering. I hope he's out of harm's way:(

pitc9
06-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Oh I hope someone was able to pull him in time. :(

BC_MoM
06-09-2008, 10:07 AM
I THINK Thunder made it out... and is on his way to Midwest Border Collie Rescue. :)

BC_MoM
06-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Okay... he did NOT make it out. There is a huge lack of communication.

Someone had emailed me and I am wondering if she is a member here... Ashley from Lawrenceville, GA. If you are reading this, can you PLEASE email me? I need you to pull this guy tomorrow because no one knows what is going on and he needs out.

Please email me. [email protected]

Moesha
06-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I think I may be able to help, I live very near that shelter.

I have emailed you.

Ashley

I think this may be the person you are talking about.

Taz_Zoee
06-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Okay... he did NOT make it out. There is a huge lack of communication.

Someone had emailed me and I am wondering if she is a member here... Ashley from Lawrenceville, GA. If you are reading this, can you PLEASE email me? I need you to pull this guy tomorrow because no one knows what is going on and he needs out.

Please email me. [email protected]

Is this maybe Aspen and Misty (post #10)? Maybe send her a PM in case she doesn't see this soon. I hope this guy is saved.

LOL, Moesha and I posted at the same time. :)

Aspen and Misty
06-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I just talked to Jessica. I will be at the shelter tomorrow morning and will be picking this guy up. I'm glad that so many people are willing to help him and that he will be saved.

I will update when I get home and he is settled!

Ashley

Moesha
06-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Thank you so much Ashley!! You are making a difference.

BC_MoM
06-09-2008, 08:43 PM
You are a life saver, Ashley... you really are. I just talked with the rescue director up here in Manitoba (Canada) and she said that if no one down there steps up for him, we will most definitely take him but it COULD take a week or two to arrange transport.

Hopefully I can get the rescues down near you sorted out, though, and one of them will take him, and they could do so sooner than we could.

ALSO... I found he didn't see the vet, but the vet sent the topical treatments over, so you may or may not want to take him to the vet you spoke of... it's up to you, and if the staff at the shelter has noticed any difference.

Don't forget to tell them that you are the designated puller for whoever finally decides to take him.

Thanks again! *hugs*

Karen
06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Oh, thank you, Ashley! You're our hero! If ever a dog needed love, looks like he does! I am glad things are in the works to save him. I bet with treatment, food, love, and a good bath and grooming, he'll be a beauty!

Aspen and Misty
06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
ALSO... I found he didn't see the vet, but the vet sent the topical treatments over, so you may or may not want to take him to the vet you spoke of... it's up to you, and if the staff at the shelter has noticed any difference.

Don't forget to tell them that you are the designated puller for whoever finally decides to take him.

As I said on the phone I rescued an American Bulldog just yesterday who took all my money in vet bills today. I will though be able to get him to the vet at the latest on Friday, if he needs to see one sooner though I'll work it out.

Don't worry about time. My family knows that when it comes to me I can't say no to a helpless dog. After my last foster dog (who was adopted 4 days ago ;) ) I said "No more fosters!" now look at me, I have one on the floor sleeping and another on the way :rolleyes: they know it's what makes me who I am and they've learned to accept it.

In order to beat traffic I plan to be there when they open so you will hear from me around 8:30, 9 in the morning!

Ashley

ps: You mentioned he may or may not be there, if he isn't there does that mean another rescue pulled him or......?

Ginger's Mom
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
You are a life saver, Ashley... you really are.

I second that. :D Thanks, Ashley!!!

You are helping to restore my faith in Pet Talk.

BC_MoM
06-09-2008, 09:13 PM
ps: You mentioned he may or may not be there, if he isn't there does that mean another rescue pulled him or......?

Or. :(

But they know that there are people wanting to help him and they are very rescue friendly, so I am positive he will be there. If you run into any problems with pulling him (because of confusion on their end) just give me a call.

I have passed your number on to a woman named Nancy, who has had contact with the shelter about him and has been trying to organize this, so you might get a call from her tomorrow morning to sort things out.

lute
06-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm really hoping for a positive outcome! I can't wait to hear the news! You are a real angel for pulling this boy.

3muttsandaboston
06-09-2008, 09:36 PM
He almost looks beyond help. I hope that isn't the case. I hope you get there in time to pull him and get him fixed up.

K9karen
06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
:love::love::love::love: Ashley. Your angel wings are getting longer and wider.

BC_MoM
06-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I heard a rumour that he was dieing, but I am not sure if that is the case. He came in extremely neglected and was placed in the heat and received no vet care. They received topical treatment for his eye and leg (however, the vet did not see him - just gave it) and was moved in to the cat room to get out of the heat. Tomorrow he will get to see a vet, if he makes it.

Ashley, perhaps you should hold off on getting him groomed. The shelter tried to bathe him and did their best to keep soap out of his leg wound (apparently he has one).

I have emailed Chris Mueller, as I believe she has a rescue that will take him.

Aspen and Misty
06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Or. :(

But they know that there are people wanting to help him and they are very rescue friendly, so I am positive he will be there. If you run into any problems with pulling him (because of confusion on their end) just give me a call.

I have passed your number on to a woman named Nancy, who has had contact with the shelter about him and has been trying to organize this, so you might get a call from her tomorrow morning to sort things out.

Sounds good. By tomorrow at 8:30 this boy should be in safety. I'm more then happy to talk to whoever so please feel free to pass my number along to anyone who needs it!

3muttsandaboston - I have that worry too. He looks weak (they say he can't stand) he has injuries to his eyes (which I'm sure can heal) and he just looks all around a huge mess (grooming here we come!). Lets just hope that we can give him a shot and that he will know there are a large amount of people in this world who love him and want him to get better. You never know with a shelter dog, but the ones who are in the worse shape generally are the ones who end up loving you the most.

Ashley

Aspen and Misty
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Ashley, perhaps you should hold off on getting him groomed. The shelter tried to bathe him and did their best to keep soap out of his leg wound (apparently he has one).

Aww, the poor guy! I'm in no rush to do anything with him till he is healthy and able to. My main goal is to get him back to health and into a rescue that can find him a loving home. For now I have an area set up that no matter how nasty he is he can live there before he gets a bath and a good groom.

You don't need to worry about this sweet boy, I promise I will only do whats best for him, he will be in good hands.

Ashley

BC_MoM
06-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Ashley,

Hold off. Apparently there is someone local that will pull him and he has a rescue ready for him.

Needless to say, I am very pissed off at these people for not telling us sooner. They had us rushing and stressing to set things up and once we had it done, we were told to back off.

You truly are an angel, though, Ashley. Your offer was absolutely amazing and so comforting after the crazy weekend of trying to figure out what was going on.

I'll email you tomorrow with an update.

Aspen and Misty
06-09-2008, 10:45 PM
As long as he gets pulled I'm happy! I just want him to get out of there and taken care of. If I can help in any way just call me or shoot me an email!

Ashley

carole
06-09-2008, 11:03 PM
oh my gosh you guys are truly amazing, just reading this has brought tears to my eyes, i am so happy this poor little fella will be rescued and loved and i am sure he will make it.:love::love:

Ginger's Mom
06-10-2008, 05:49 AM
No matter who pulls this dog, you two girls/ladies did a wonderful job in getting things together to help this boy. Ashley, your offer is amazing. And Jess, to arrange such a rescue from so far away is fantastic. Let us know if you hear anything please.

pitc9
06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Bless you both for working your fannies off to make sure he gets pulled in time!
I can't wait to see a post saying that he's safe.

Daisy and Delilah
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
You ladies are saints!! I can't wait to hear how he's doing. I hope he makes it.

BC_MoM
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, apparently there is someone on the way to pull Thunder now. :)

But unfortunately, there is a mama Border Collie named Marly at the same pound and she is out of time. She came in with her sister, who was put to sleep. Marly recently had 12 puppies, but one died. The shelter is begging for somebody to save them.

Ashley, would you be willing to pull her ASAP and hold until there is someone to take her? I know 11 pups and a mama is a lot to ask...

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/GA316/GA316.10961820-1-x.jpg
http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/GA316/GA316.10961820-3-x.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:
Apparently all of the puppies died. Not from disease, but the shelter thinks to pool they were laying in was too cramped and she must have rolled onto them. Now it's just Marly... and she is out of time. Ashley? :(

BC_MoM
06-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Marly has been pulled by the same rescue that took Thunder (East Tennessee Border Collie Rescue).

You guys, Ashley is amazing, though. Through all the confusion, she stuck by her word and was going to make sure these dogs stayed safe. She truly is an angel. I am honoured to have her a part of Pet Talk. She truly defines what it means to be a Pet Talker. :)

Aspen and Misty
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
You guys, Ashley is amazing, though. Through all the confusion, she stuck by her word and was going to make sure these dogs stayed safe. She truly is an angel. I am honoured to have her a part of Pet Talk. She truly defines what it means to be a Pet Talker. :)

Aww thanks Jess! I'm always willing to help where I can. Like I said on the phone, please don't be shy about calling me to pull any other border collies (or non-border collies ;)) that need help.

I'm glad both Marly and Thunder are safe and sound and in the hands of a rescue.

Ashley

3muttsandaboston
06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm sure there is a non border collie at the shelter that needs help. You should give them a call and ask.. I so want to start fostering dogs but that will have to wait a couple of years.

pitc9
06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
I'M SO glad to hear both are safe, but how sad about loosing all those puppies.
:(

You 2 ROCK!!! :D

jazzcat
06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Marly has been pulled by the same rescue that took Thunder (East Tennessee Border Collie Rescue).

That is great to hear. They are a local rescue group near me and do wonderful work! Both dogs will be well cared for.

BC_MoM
06-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Well, ETNBCR actually rarely keeps purebreds. They don't take BC mixes, which is ridiculous and apparently this dog does not look BC enough for them.

I believe he is being passed on to MidAtlantic BCR.

carole
06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Aww you guys stop making me cry, good job, well done, so happy to hear the outcome is so good for both of these beautiful dogs.:love::love:

BC_MoM
06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
UPDATES:

Thunder is almost completely blind, but the vet will need to confirm this. Both dogs have horrible skin issues, coat and show the results of poor nutrition.

Apparently Thunder is not Border Collie, and looks to be a Sheltie/Spaniel mix and is actually very short. They are both very depressed, but sweet.

If anyone would like to donate to their care, see the contact info below:

Mailing Address
ETBCR
P.O. Box 77
Oliver Springs, TN 37840-0077

OR Contact Alyce at [email protected] or Suzanne at [email protected].

Aspen and Misty
06-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm sure there is a non border collie at the shelter that needs help. You should give them a call and ask.

I work at Petsmart's petshotel and it seems that there is always a dog in need that find its way into our lobby and then into my home. In 2008 alone there has been Bo a 10 year old Lab who was diagnosed with heartworms. We paid for the treatment only to get half way through it and find out that we were too late and that his heart was failing. He is now in the end stages of congestive heart failure :( , he's still happy and not in pain so we are just spoiling him rotten and waiting it out. Then there was Simba who was food, toy, child, cat, dog, almost everything aggressive! With about 4 months worth of hard work he is now the sweetest dog in the world and was placed into a home with someone who will continue to help him to be the good dog that he is today. And now there is Chubb's the 4 or 5 year old American Bulldog that was dumped in our parking lot at Petsmart. He has terrible Hip dysplasia and has to be on pain meds/glucosamine for the rest of his life. Besides that he is 15 pounds under weight and most likly has testicular cancer and needs to be neutered ASAP. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't really go looking for dogs in need because the ones who need me the most tend to find me all on their own.

BC_MoM - Thats too bad they aren't keeping Thunder. I hope the poor guy finds his way into the arms of a rescue that will love him. I'm just glad that he is out and that he is getting the much needed care he so despretly needs!

Ashley

K9karen
06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
You have hearts of gold. i can't tell you how proud and privledged I am to "know" both of you guys....:love::love::love::love: