PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Honda Civic Hybrid?

Twisterdog
06-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm tossing around the idea of getting a new car. We REALLY need to get rid of SEVERAL of our vehicles. It's starting to look like a used car lot around here! I have three cars and a truck, my son has a car, my step-son has a truck, my husband has a truck and a car ... plus the camper, the motorcycle and the boat. :o One of my friends says we have Mad Car Disease.

So ... I was thinking about selling two of my cars and getting one new one. My first instinct is to go with CUTE ... but of course, that's what got me in the car-overload position I'm in now. So, I'm trying to be a "grown-up" and go for practical and good mileage.

So, I'm thinking of a Honda Civic Hybrid. Hard to beat 45 mpg. Anyone own one? Do you like it?

Thanks!

caseysmom
06-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I just bought my daughter one and we love it! She isn't even 16, she is a lucky girl I would have loved a car like that.....I had a 64 plymouth valiant with the driver door stuck!

We got a silver one with leather and gps, I absolutely love the gps in my car and hers is great too. We didn't get the hybrid but the regular gets great gas mileage, the hybrid is rated as one of the best hybrids.

Lady's Human
06-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Hybrids only really pay if you're doing almost exclusively city driving.

On the highway, the hybrid portion of the drive system doesn't come into play at all.

If you're doing mostly highway driving, you're driving a really expensive 4 cylinder with a bunch of expensive to maintain but unused electronics.

Alysser
06-07-2008, 07:32 AM
My dad has a Prius. He works for the city of New York and they provide city cars for the employees. He doesn't have to pay for all the feul, etc. He really likes it though and it's not that bad looking. He said he fuels up every 3 days about.

Freedom
06-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Glad you asked, as I've been inclined to get one as well.

Biggest draw back for me is, it only comes with leather seats. I can just see dog and cat claws going through THAT in an instant!

Edwina's Secretary
06-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Hybrids only really pay if you're doing almost exclusively city driving.

Well that depends! I drive a hybrid. Up to LA and back and am getting around 33 mpg...close to the optimum for the vehicle. But highway driving in LA traffic doesn't often move very fast.

Catty1
06-07-2008, 05:10 PM
I would like to find a website or info that backs up the 'urban legend' that because many parts for hybrid cars are made in countries where environmental standards are poor, the manufacture of the hybrid cars creates a bigger environmental foot print than the lifetime use of the car can make up for.

I have seen this and heard this...I am going to go find out if it's true...

ETA - for what it's worth:

http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/16-06/ff_heresies_09usedcars

In 2006, an Oregon market research firm released an incendiary 500-page report. Its claim: A Humvee (13 miles per gallon city, 16 highway) uses less energy than a Prius (48 city, 45 highway). Scientists quickly debunked the study, but the Hummer lovers got one thing right. Pound for pound, making a Prius contributes more carbon to the atmosphere than making a Hummer, largely due to the environmental cost of the 30 pounds of nickel in the hybrid's battery. Of course, the hybrid quickly erases that carbon deficit on the road, thanks to its vastly superior fuel economy.

Still, the comparison suggests a more sensible question. If a new Prius were placed head-to-head with a used car, would the Prius win? Don't bet on it. Making a Prius consumes 113 million BTUs, according to sustainability engineer Pablo Päster. A single gallon of gas contains about 113,000 Btus, so Toyota's green wonder guzzles the equivalent of 1,000 gallons before it clocks its first mile. A used car, on the other hand, starts with a significant advantage: The first owner has already paid off its carbon debt. Buy a decade-old Toyota Tercel, which gets a respectable 35 mpg, and the Prius will have to drive 100,000 miles to catch up.

Better yet, buy a three-cylinder, 49-horsepower 1994 Geo Metro XFi, one of the most fuel-efficient cars ever built. It gets the same average mileage as a 2008 Prius, so a new hybrid would never close the carbon gap. Sure, the XFi has no AC or airbags — but nobody said saving the planet would be comfortable, or even safe.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/the-ultimate-pr.html

Ditching your gas guzzler is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint, but if you really want to do something about global warming, get a used car. You'll be putting less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

As Matt Power notes in this month's issue of Wired, hybrids get great gas mileage but it takes 113 million BTUs of energy to make a Toyota Prius. Because there are about 113,000 BTUs of energy in a gallon of gasoline, the Prius has consumed the equivalent of 1,000 gallons of gasoline before it reaches the showroom. Think of it as a carbon debt -- one you won't pay off until the Prius has turned over 46,000 miles or so.

There's an easy way to avoid that debt -- buy a used car. The debt has already been paid. But not just any used car will do.

It has to be something fuel efficient. Like, say, a 1998 Toyota Tercel that gets 27 mpg city / 35 mpg highway miles. The Prius will have to go 100,000 miles to achieve the same carbon savings as the 10-year-old Tercel. Get behind the wheel of a 1994 Geo Metro XFi, which matches the Prius' 46 mpg, and the Prius would never close the carbon gap, Power writes.

There are a lot of used cars out there that top 30 mpg, and more than a few that reach into the 40s. Just about any Ford Festiva or Aspire will deliver 33 mpg. The mid-'90s Mazda Proteges are good for 30 mpg or so, as are the Dodge Colts of the early '90s.

Go back a little further and the Honda CRX HF models will give you 39 to 45 mpg in a sporty two-seater that's fun to drive. If you don't mind driving the cheapest of cheap econoboxes, the 1985 Chevrolet Chevette got 36 mpg and the '87 Chevrolet Sprint got 40.

You may laugh, but these cars are becoming big sellers. USA Today says fuel-misers from the early 1990s are selling like crazy and prices have gone up 30 percent in the past few months. A rust-bucket Geo Metro with 175,000 on the odometer recently sold for three grand on eBay.

Of course, it can be tough finding a car that old that hasn't been beaten like a drum, and Robyn Eckard of Kelley Blue Book tells us most used car buyers prefer something no more than 5 to 7 years old and with fewer than 100K on the odometer. No problem.

The auto industry has spent much of the past decade cranking out SUVs, but it has managed to offer a few highly efficient cars as well. The Toyota Echo delivers 30 mpg or better, as does the Honda Civic. The Chevrolet Prizm and Mini Cooper come close. Volkswagen's diesels are good for mileage in the low 30s.

We've undoubtedly left some off the list. But the point is, you don't need to buy a Prius -- or any other hybrid, for that matter -- to get great fuel economy and minimize your carbon footprint. You might feel better driving a hybrid, but you won't necessarily be greener.

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-07-2008, 06:41 PM
We own a Civic Hybrid. My husband drives it ~60 miles every day almost all freeway, and it regularly gets 42 mpg.

Also, ours has fabric seats, not leather, and Oreo rides very well in the back seat.

We love it!

Catty1
06-08-2008, 08:01 PM
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nb20080607a7.html

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Toyota's new fuel-cell car goes twice the distance
The Associated Press

Toyota Motor Corp. said Friday it has developed a new fuel-cell hybrid, a car powered by hydrogen and electricity that can travel more than twice the distance of its predecessor model without filling up.

The improved model's maximum cruising range is 830 km, compared with 330 km for Toyota's previous fuel-cell model, Japan's top carmaker said.

The FCHV-adv model, which received government approval Tuesday, will be available for leasing in Japan later this year, Toyota spokeswoman Kayo Doi said. Pricing and other details weren't available, and overseas plans were still undecided, she said.

Fuel-cell vehicles produce no pollution by running on the power of the chemical reaction when hydrogen stored in a tank combines with oxygen in the air to produce water.

The FCHV-adv from the world's second-biggest automaker also comes with an electric motor and works as a hybrid by switching between that motor and the hydrogen-powered fuel cell. Toyota's Prius hybrid switches between an electric motor and a standard gasoline engine.

Fuel efficiency in the FCHV-adv was improved 25 percent, Toyota said.

Cincy'sMom
06-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Biggest draw back for me is, it only comes with leather seats. I can just see dog and cat claws going through THAT in an instant!

We had leather seats for awhile with all 3 dogs, and never had an issue. In a lot of ways, I thought they were better then the cloth seats...easier to clean (didn't collect the hair)

Aspen and Misty
06-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a normal Civic and will never own anything else! Its great on gas, never has any issues and is just an all around great car (and it's 10 years old!!!!)! I simply love it. :love:

Ashley

finn's mom
06-09-2008, 02:09 AM
We have a Honda Civic Hybrid, and love it. We just got back from the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri (we live pretty much in Dallas, TX) and we used about 24 gallons of gas round trip, almost entirely highway. That's with the vehicle absolutely PACKED. We went to SC last Christmas (1000 miles) on just under 30 gallons, also pretty loaded down and almost entirely highway. The steering took a little getting used to for me, but I really enjoy driving it. Ours is a 2003, and we've had it for about a year now. I definitely recommend it.

Ours has fabric seats and Finn travels very well in it. All three dogs have travelled in it, but it's usually just Finn and us on the longer road trips (mostly for Dock Dogs events).

smokey the elder
06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I think if you get a car that's good on gas (or diesel) it can be a hybrid or a liquid fuel burner. I'm really hoping that they can get all-electric cars that you plug in to be more efficient. Then you could potentially bypass the carbon cycle (for fuel only) if electricity were generated by solar, water, wind or even nuclear.

Freedom
06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
We own a Civic Hybrid. My husband drives it ~60 miles every day almost all freeway, and it regularly gets 42 mpg.

Also, ours has fabric seats, not leather, and Oreo rides very well in the back seat.

We love it!

Yes, I stand corrected. Last time I looked at them, the leather seats was the only version available; that was at least 18 months back maybe more (I wasn't ready to change cars, now I am.)

Now here is an item: I can't find a/c as an option on EITHER the Honda or the Toyota Hybrid. I've been pouring over the web sites and the "build your car" links. Based on the last 3 days, this is NOT an option for me!

I have a normal Civic and will never own anything else! Its great on gas, never has any issues and is just an all around great car (and it's 10 years old!!!!)! I simply love it. :love:

Ashley
I have one now as well, 11 years old. A Civic 2 dr. It does NOT score well on the safety ratings, so I am concerned about that (didn't know it when I bought it way back when). And mine is now due for some major maintenance. I was going to upgrade to either a Civic 4 dr or an Accord 4 dr, both of which score MUCH better. Needed to check out the hybrids, before I commit.

Freckles
06-09-2008, 05:11 PM
My 2003 Prius has AC. It gets about 40 mpg.

Freedom
06-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Freckles! I didn't realize that "automatic climate control" means a/c. :rolleyes: They both have it.

Twisterdog
06-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Right after I got out of college, I had a Geo Metro. It was indeed wonderful on gas mileage, I think I got almost 50 mpg on the highway. My sister had a Chevy Sprint that got almost 60 mpg.

However ... they had no air conditioning, and they were three cylinders. Semis would pass me going up hills. :o I didn't mind the that so much then, but I'm looking for a little more luxury now. Guess I'm getting old. I don't have to have a Lexus or a Mercedes ... but I think I'm past the "Geo Metro" phase of my life, too. LOL If I ever get nostalgic for a hot, slow trip, I can always drive my 1974 Super Beetle.

And, to sound like a total girl here, I'm not crazy about any of the colors of the 2008 civic hybrids. They are all so ... boring. I was hoping they came in that Element orange. Alas, they are all "grown up" colors. *sigh*

Nice to know that everyone that has one likes it, though. I think I'll go test drive one this weekend.