PDA

View Full Version : hanging a shelf/cabinet

joycenalex
06-06-2008, 03:15 PM
i'm planning on hanging a 20# wooden shelf to store my spices closer to the stove. i am trying to find the sturdiest way to mount them. i"m planning locating the studs and drilling pilot holes, then mounting the 6 shelf unit with 3-4 inch screws into the studs. is this the best/most durable way to hang them? thanks for any advice *edited to add cabinet*

Medusa
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
i'm planning on hanging a 20# wooden shelf to store my spices closer to the stove. i am trying to find the sturdiest way to mount them. i"m planning locating the studs and drilling pilot holes, then mounting the 6 shelf unit with 3-4 inch screws into the studs. is this the best/most durable way to hang them? thanks for any advice

Just one and don't hate me for this: it's best to not store your herbs and spices too close to the stove. A cool, dry place is better. It may be more convenient near the stove but the heat and humidity lessens the herb/spices potency. As for hanging the shelf, I'm worthless in that dept., sorry. :)

joycenalex
06-06-2008, 03:34 PM
oh yeah i know about not storing them too close to the stove :D. the distance between the planned shelf location and stove is 44 inches away, so i think it's far enough away. when i move the spices, i'll be able to move the flour/sugar/oatmeal to the current spice cabinet area, then move the pans/pots to the current flour/sugar area to make it a bit more middle aged back friendly (or is that ergonomic?). now the heavy pans are under the stove in a drawer, and getting to those pans means sitting on the floor, moving a cat off my lap, then getting back up, creaking a bit, and so on...;)
so it's time to move those spices.

Freedom
06-06-2008, 04:17 PM
A 20 POUND shelf? I think that will need more than 2 holes/screws at the top to hold it up. Is the shelf already built? Take a photo, print it out on regular paper and take it with you:

Why not have a chat with some of the folks at a local FYI store (Home Depot, for me). I've found most of them are QUITE knowledgeable. Since I bought my house, I've learned which people are best to ask, as well.

Medusa
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM
oh yeah i know about not storing them too close to the stove :D. the distance between the planned shelf location and stove is 44 inches away, so i think it's far enough away. when i move the spices, i'll be able to move the flour/sugar/oatmeal to the current spice cabinet area, then move the pans/pots to the current flour/sugar area to make it a bit more middle aged back friendly (or is that ergonomic?). now the heavy pans are under the stove in a drawer, and getting to those pans means sitting on the floor, moving a cat off my lap, then getting back up, creaking a bit, and so on...;)
so it's time to move those spices.

Sounds exactly like my house! My son gave me a new set of cookware for Xmas and now I have to remove half the pots and pans to get the piece that I need. I bought a pot and pan rack and was going to install it in my kitchen but it turned out to be an eyesore, just from holding it up, so I returned it.

Good luck. I'm sorry that I wasn't of more help. :)

joycenalex
06-06-2008, 05:22 PM
yep, 20#. it was custom build by a neighborhood handyman. and no, not just 2 screws.:). i was thinking of mounting it like wall mount cabinets, i.e. several screws, with shims if needed, along the stud lines. and i do wish the carpenter had used 1/2 inch thick backboard instead of 3/4 inch backboard.

Lilith Cherry
06-07-2008, 11:08 AM
;)Suggestion: Smile sweetly at the carpenter and ask him to help you mount it?

joycenalex
06-07-2008, 04:25 PM
used the stud finder, marked them and 9 2 inch screws later, it's hung. :D