PDA

View Full Version : Sunny has PICA!

MoonandBean
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
For anyone who doesn't know...PICA is defined as "Pica is a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for largely non-nutritive substances (e.g., coal, soil, feces, chalk, paper, etc.) or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered foods, such as food ingredients (e.g., flour, raw potato, starch)."

Yesterday we had friends over to scrape and reseal our chimney and power wash the roof. In addition to the constant attempted ingestion of rocks, grass, dirt, bugs, leaves, flowers (thank god she doesn't like caterpillars), now we had to watch and make sure she didn't eat chimney cement, moss off the roof, potato chip crumbs that her grandma dropped, etc... She is like a HOOVER!! We took her to the lake last weekend and all she wanted to do was pull goop out of the water and eat it.

I guess we didn't do a great job of supervising her because she vomited a little this morning and now has diarrhea again.........

So that's the latest puppy antics here....

Freedom
06-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Sunny, this is NOT a good idea! You are not going to feel well AND you are going to worry mommy and your family no end. Please stick to the things they give you for chewing, dear one!

pitc9
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I think every puppy has that same disorder! ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Yup! Silly girl Sunny - at this rare your poor Muma is going to have a nervous breakdown before you reach adulthood

MoonandBean
06-06-2008, 04:57 PM
LOL...Nah, I'm taking it all in stride although I have been known to say "I hope she survives puppyhood". I should edit that to say "I hope I survive puppyhood" :)

Karen
06-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Sweetie, she'd a Lab. The vacuum-cleaner-like behavior comes with the territory! Just hope she doesn't, like my friend's Lab, Jake (now at the RB) decide that rocks are yummy and good to chew on. He did a number on his teeth, and couldn't be persuaded any different!

chocolatepuppy
06-06-2008, 05:26 PM

Yep, all mine had it and little Jake, well, ya gotta watch him every second. ;) I'm still praying *I* survive puppyhood!:rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
06-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Lots of people have this disorder too (think of kids eating boogers and stuff... that's Pica). We have kids at school who we have to keep away from paste, crayons and anything like that.

Maybe it's something she can grow out of. My cousin Dixie had this, and ate soap, crayons, chalk, etc... I think she eats normal things now, lol.

lute
06-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Talon had this disorder too. I quickly nipped that in the butt. It so weird what puppies will eat.:rolleyes: