PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you been selected for jury duty?

Pembroke_Corgi
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I get picked ALL the time! And always, of course, at the worst possible times!! :rolleyes:

I'm only 25 and I've already been selected more than my parents put together! So far, this is the 4th time I've been called- and it falls right on my vacation time. I asked for a postponement so hopefully they will give it to me!

Does anyone else get selected a lot? Is the process purely random, or do they just like to bug some folks more than others?? :D

How many times have you been called for jury duty?

joycenalex
06-05-2008, 09:56 AM
i would soooo love to be called, but so far i haven't.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Once but I got out of it as Katie had just been born and I threatened to take her with me and breastfeed in the courtroom :D Funnily enough - they weren't keen on that idea

Edwina's Secretary
06-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I've been called three times. The first time, when I was in my early 20's I did serve on two juries (civil - not criminal.) Last year I was called and then selected for a very gruesome murder trial. But, as I am self-employed and the trial was anticipated to last 6 - 8 weeks I was excused.

Taz_Zoee
06-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't want to jinx myself, but I've been called twice in my 35 years. The first time I was barely 20 years old. My boss at the time wrote a note stating I would not get paid, and I lived on my own and was going to school. So I got a hardship on that one.
The second one was about 6 years ago and I had to go. They were calling the last group of the day and of course they called my name.
It was so late in the day that we had to come back the next day. Luckily I got out of it. The defense attorney dismissed me. :)

Good luck, I hope you get the postponement. :)

CountryWolf07
06-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Never... and I'm 23 years old.. almost 24.

caseysmom
06-05-2008, 11:12 AM
About 4 or 5 times and I am 47, I served on a 2 week trial once.

pitc9
06-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm 32 and I've never been called (knock on wood)

kuhio98
06-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I've gotten the notification a couple of times. I'm instructed to call in every night to see if my group needs to report to the courthouse. I've never been called to serve.

Bobcat has been on several juries. Once he even had to be foreman. He hated it! He asked the judge a question (can't remember what it was) and the judge declared a mistrial! :eek:

Karen
06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I have always wanted to actually be a juror. I have been called so many times I have lost track, basically every three years since I was in college. I want to be a juror, to participate in this country's justice system in a meaningful way ...

but I never have. I go every single time, show up, listen to the speech, and sit and wait. Only once has my group actually been called, and I got to sit in the jury chair for about ten seconds. They threw me off the jury second, just after the guy with a leather jacket and studs. Sigh.

Maybe next time!

Cataholic
06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I have never been called, and it is very unlikely I would ever be selected to sit, if I were called.

Jury service is what keeps things moving! I wish MORE 'normal' people would sit on a jury, and not seek to be excused. That leaves us with a less than typical selection of the general population.

Ginger's Mom
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I sat on a jury in a criminal trial once, soon after I graduated with a degree in criminal justice. :) I found it fascinating at the time. I have gotten notices three times since then that I had to report for jury duty, but have never had to sit through the selection process, because either they already had a jury seated before my group or they came to an agreement before jury selection started. However, because of where I work it is rather unlikely that I will sit on a jury until after I retire.

However, Jill, you sound like my father. He is called for jury duty every two years (by the county one year then the State the next year then a year off before the county can call him again). He has even twice moved to a different State and still gets called all of the time.

Freedom
06-05-2008, 01:13 PM
When I lived in Boston I was called up frequently and served twice. Once on a murder case. the jury was taken by bus to the scene.

Since moving to RI, never; I don't think RI calls lawyers. Obviously Mass DOES. :rolleyes:

RedHedd
06-05-2008, 01:14 PM
I've been called for the fourth time to appear this coming Monday. Because I work in the legal profession, they rarely want me because I know too many people in the court system and the legal profession in general which can be prejudicial to a case. It's all part of our judicial system which I work in and I am willing to serve. It's all part of being an American citizen and I'm happy to oblige.

Those who died for our freedom may have found it "inconvenient" to serve when they were called to duty. It's the least I can do to show up for jury duty when called.

kittycats_delight
06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm 34, will be 35 in December and I have never once been called for jury duty. And seeing I am not an italian citizen as of yet I won't be called here either. Not for awhile yet anyway.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
It's interesting to see the differences here...some of you who would really like to serve but haven't been given the chance yet, I'd give you my slot if I could! Actually, I notified the county I would be on vacation and they let me select another date. I'm so relieved. :)

Also, I may find jury duty inconvenient, because it really is in most cases, but I don't think finding it so lessens my contribution if I am selected..it just means that I would rather not be summoned at all. I also wonder at the statistical unlikelihood of being called 4 times in 7 years when I live in a county with over half a million people. Maybe I should start playing the lottery! :D

jazzcat
06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I've been called twice and served once. It was for a civil suit. A man was suing a large company for asbestos exposure which might lead to cancer some day. He did not have cancer at the time of the suit so we couldn't justify awarding him any money. The whole case just seemed like an attempt to get money for nothing. I found out later the lawyers were big time ambulance chasers. What a waste of taxpayers money IMO.

The guy swore under oath that he had stopped smoking years ago but I saw him light one up in the parking garage. I don't think he was that concerned about cancer.:rolleyes:

Medusa
06-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I was called once but I didn't get to serve because I had just moved out of the district a few days prior to getting the notice.

lizbud
06-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I only served once so far, and that's enough for me.:) The trial was a
Paternity case & didn't turn out the way I thought it should. The defense
had a very good lawyer.:)

kuhio98
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
I have never been called, and it is very unlikely I would ever be selected to sit, if I were called.
What makes you say that? :confused:

ramanth
06-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Twice in my 31 years. But the instructions were to simply call the court house every day for a week and when I did, I was told I wasn't needed.

So while I've received a jury summons, I've never had to go in.

Like Karen, I'd like to serve, and was disappointed when I was told I wasn't needed.

K9karen
06-05-2008, 11:49 PM
About 4 times in 30+ years, more than anyone in my family. My name was never called to serve on a jury, I was dismissed. Oh, I was called a 5th time (forgot) but was recuperating from surgery.

I'd love to serve too. I sure hope the jurors (if it comes to that) who are selected for my civil case are fair and decent and not po'd they couldn't find an excuse not to spend their day listening to a very serious situation.

AmberLee
06-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Hmmm. The first time I got the letter it was forwarded to my new home ~100 miles away despite the instructions not to forward...

I don't recall how many times I've had to call in three times a day and eventually not be called in.

Let's see. There was one day I WAS called in, sworn in with about a hundred others, but we were all released after a side discussion between the judge and attorneys.

On my most recent occasion, I was part of a group that went in 3 days in a row. Ultimately a full jury and enough alternates were seated before I was questioned. Although I'd like to serve on a jury in general, I'm relieved not to be part of that one. The defendent bore a striking resemblance to my former brother-in-law which was unnerving enough, and apparently the crime had a lot in common with one I had survived in my teens. Merely the questioning of the other jury members led me to nightmares in the nights after hearing them. (One more oddity from the session: Several of you know I'm a bit extreme in my crochetting habit. The judge chewed me out for crochetting in the audience, which astonished me at the time. I thought it didn't matter until I was being questioned myself. *gleeps!*)

AmberLee
06-05-2008, 11:58 PM
What makes you say that? :confused:

I'm guessing it's because she's an attorney. Many attorneys prefer not to have other attorneys on juries, although it varies by jurisdiction.

kuhio98
06-06-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm guessing it's because she's an attorney. Many attorneys prefer not to have other attorneys on juries, although it varies by jurisdiction.
Oh, I didn't know. Thanks!

krazyaboutkatz
06-06-2008, 12:55 AM
I was called in once and they took a role call and then said that everyone would be dismissed because the trial had been post poned.

I've received the letter in the mail stating that I may be selected at least 3-4 times. Since I don't get paid through my work if I were to be selected, I have a lady in human resources type me up a letter stating that it would be a financial hardship and I mail it in and get out of it.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I got taken off the list because of my anxiety. I got called in once, I knew I couldn't handle it and my doctor agreed, she didn't think I could either. My doctor sent a note asking them to permanently take me off the list.

mruffruff
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I was never called ----until I turned 60 years old. Then I got called by the city, county and state, then the county again. Last month there was a civil suit I was called for. The notice said if you were 65 or older, to call them and you could be released.

I actually served on one jury. The plaintiff openly admitted that she was drinking and underage so the verdict was obvious.

davidpizzica
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I've been summoned twice. The first time I reported shuffled to different groups and was interviewed by the attorneys and at the end I wasn't selected. The second time I went through the same thing and was selected for a civil trial. It lasted four days and had to do a lot of riding on the bus!

Twisterdog
06-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I have NEVER been selected.

I am almost forty years old, have been a registered voter since I was eighteen, have owned a home since I was twenty-four ... I don't know exactly how they pick people, but it seems like I'd fall into the category somewhere.

RedHedd
06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Well I've been called for this week and each day it's check the website only to be told to check again the enxt day. This Friday is my niece's high school graduation which I do NOT WANT to miss! I will be so :mad: if they make me show up on Friday.

Taz_Zoee
06-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I have NEVER been selected.

I am almost forty years old, have been a registered voter since I was eighteen, have owned a home since I was twenty-four ... I don't know exactly how they pick people, but it seems like I'd fall into the category somewhere.

I have never been registered to vote, have never owned a house (wow, I sound like a loser, LOL, kidding) and was called twice before I turned 30 years old. :confused: I've heard they pick by driver license, but I don't know if that's true.

neko1
06-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Just picked up my mail and I've been summoned for next month. Too bad they couldn't get my name right!! They used my old married name which hasn't been my name for over 2 years!

smokey the elder
06-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I had jury duty a few times. Once in 1992, then got called for a trial in 1996 (I think) but when I reported they said they'd picked a jury. I lived in Westchester for 9 years before I got called in 2005. In the White Plains Federal jury pool you are on call for one month, and you call each Monday AM for instructions. I went in on a Tuesday (I think) and sat around all day in a large room which was overcrowded. It thinned out; I never got even as far as the voie dire (sp?) where they interview a propsective juror.

I am excused until April 2009, but they keep sending me summonses, to which I reply with a copy of my "go away, I did my civic duty" letter they give you when you're done. :p (I don't mind jury duty; but if I don't have to do it for 4 years, by your own rules, than lemme be!:D)

Randi
06-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I've never been on jury duty, but over here, you have to be a member of a political party to be selected, and I'm not. You also have to have a clean record - which I have. ;)

lizbud
06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
I've never been on jury duty, but over here, you have to be a member of a political party to be selected, and I'm not. You also have to have a clean record - which I have. ;)

I believe it's by voter registration here too. You have to be registered
to vote to be called.

Catlady711
06-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I believe it's by voter registration here too. You have to be registered
to vote to be called.

Nope not by voter registration, they call based on drivers license.

I've never been registered to vote ever but got a letter about 10 years ago. I couldn't go at the time and got a letter from the judge for excusal.

My mom has never been registered to vote ever and she's gotten about 5 letters and served once.

lizbud
06-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Nope not by voter registration, they call based on drivers license.

I've never been registered to vote ever but got a letter about 10 years ago. I couldn't go at the time and got a letter from the judge for excusal.

My mom has never been registered to vote ever and she's gotten about 5 letters and served once.

Do you live in Indianapolis,Indiana ?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE3D6103FF937A25752C0A9649582 60&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Catlady711
06-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Do you live in Indianapolis,Indiana ?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE3D6103FF937A25752C0A9649582 60&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Nope but not all that far away. I do have lots of relatives in Indiana though. A couple of who have been called for jury duty and not been registered voters either, at least not that they remember. The only constant has been all of us have had drivers licenses. I don't know anyone who's been called for jury duty (voter or not) that didn't have a drivers license. If they pick by other means then I've not encountered one before, but I suppose that doesn't mean they don't have other means of selecting potential jurors.

carole
06-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I have been called up many times, but because of family committments and health issues have been exempt, i would actually love to serve if i could, would find it very interesting, my son has done jury service on a rape case, he found it quite an experience.

Catlady711
06-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Found this concerning Lake County in Indiana on Jury Duty. Don't know if it applies across the board in IN or anywhere else in the US, but sounds like they pick by a combo of drivers license, and tax returns.

http://www.lakejuryduty.org/faq.htm#3

3. How are people chosen to be called for jury service? Top

Prior to 2006, the Lake County jury system obtained the names of Lake County residents who are included on the list of registered voters and the lists maintained by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Now, jurors are randomly selected from a combined list including Department of Revenue and Bureau of Motor Vehicles information.

A random selection of 100,000 names is made at the beginning of each year. Throughout the year, prospective jurors are selected randomly from the 100,000 initial jurors and are sent a juror qualification questionnaire/summons. This questionnaire must be completed by the prospective juror and returned to the Office of the Court Administrator. Those individuals who "qualify" for service-a US citizen and county resident; at least 18 years of age; who are able to understand and communicate in English; are not suffering from a physical or mental disability or under a guardianship because of mental incapacity; have not had their rights revoked due a felony conviction and are not a law enforcement officer (criminal trials only) must report for service as indicated on the summons.

On July 1, 2006, juror exemptions have eliminated statewide. This means that no automatic exemptions are available by statute. All jurors must respond to the court as to why they cannot serve and the determination as to defer a juror's service now fails completely on the Court

Randi
06-12-2008, 05:04 AM
I 1915, women got the right to vote in Denmark, and you had to be 25 years old. Since then, the age for voting has gone down. In 1953, you had to be 23 years old, in 1961 21 years and in 1970 20 years. Since 1978 the voting age has been 18 years old.

Everyone can vote, as long as you’re a Danish citizen. About a month before an election, the authoraties send us all a voting card, which we bring along to the nearest school where we exchange it for the voting slip.

Concerning voting in USA... does that mean if you don’t have a drivers licence you can’t vote? :eek: Not everyone over 18 has one.

Liz, to get elected for jury duty, you actually have to be a MEMBER of a political party! Any party.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Concerning voting in USA... does that mean if you don’t have a drivers licence you can’t vote? :eek: Not everyone over 18 has one.

No, you can still vote if you don't have a driver's license. You just need to register to vote first. The voting age is also 18 here. There are simply more people who are licensed to drive than there are registered to vote.

I've also read that sometimes they populate the jury duty list with names from the driver's license AND voter registration, which can lead to some people being on the list twice. Maybe this is why some people get called more than others?

smokey the elder
06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I think so. In New York they use voter registration; DMV, and maybe taxpayer rolls as well; up to 3 different data bases, so if they don't talk to each other, you could get pooled from different ones. That's what I think happened with me.

lizbud
06-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Well Catlady711, you were correct. The law was amended in 2005 to
include one other list as well as voters reg. :)

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/orders/rule-amendments/2002/july/jury.pdf

shais_mom
06-12-2008, 01:23 PM
once for the county and once for the district
and the county one got cancelled and the district one I had a drs excuse. :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Proof they use more than one list....

I have received TWO jury summons for the month of April. Same court -- different courthouses, different dates.

The difference is my name. Some of my "official" records -- my driver's license for example - I am Sara Jane X. On others I am Sara J. X.

One summons is for Sara Jane the other Sara J. I am glad I had already sent in the response for the first one I received - it is an easier courthouse!

(No, I do not have to go to both!)

kokopup
03-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I turned 69 last week and so far I have not been called. I am a registered voter, own a home,
have a drivers license and have no criminal record. It makes you wander what criteria they use to decide on calling you or not. My wife got her first notice last week and she is 59.:confused::confused:

cassiesmom
03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Let's see... 3 times. Once at the Daley Center - good people watching there; once for the Criminal Courts at 26th and California and once at the far south suburban court center. Where I actually got picked. The case was a drunk driver and when I acknowledged that I have a problem with DWI, because drunk drivers tend to get head injuries, and I'm a rehab nurse -- I got un-selected very fast! But then I got to sit behind one of the attorneys. Watching them circle and cross off juror numbers as they worked the panel was very interesting. In Cook County, jury duty is tied to voter registration and I've heard that if you don't vote, you don't get picked even though you're a registered voter. In my last job I was starting to wonder where a jury summons was when I needed it? But not so in this job!

catnapper
03-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I've been selected several times but only spent a day at the courthouse once. I always got out of it for one reason or another (NOT that I was trying to shove off my duty, it just happened to fall on bad times)

pomtzu
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
I have a driver's license, am a registered voter, have been at the same address for 38 years, and never received a summons until I was in my 50's. I was excused for medical reasons, and have never been summoned since, altho medical excuses are only valid for 3 years. However, I know of folks who get summoned religiously every 3 years no matter what they were excused for. :confused: