PDA

View Full Version : Scooters?

elizabethann
06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Anybody ride a scooter? I'm thinking about getting a VESPA.

Freedom
06-03-2008, 12:43 PM
So have I!!! They look great and are quite efficient, gas wise!

elizabethann
06-03-2008, 12:44 PM
So have I!!! They look great and are quite efficient, gas wise!

You must have a ton of scooter riders in RI. We have many here, but not as much as you find in Boston. I would love to get one with a sidecar (for Fenway).

BitsyNaceyDog
06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I see them all over the place here, especially now with the out of control gas prices. We don't have one, but know a few people who do.

The other day I saw a woman riding one with a little girl (maybe 3 or 4 years old) standing on the middle of the scooter between the woman's legs. I was totally appalled that someone would do such a thing. She wasn't on a highway, but she was on a pretty busy road.

jackie
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
The other day I saw a woman riding one with a little girl (maybe 3 or 4 years old) standing on the middle of the scooter between the woman's legs. I was totally appalled that someone would do such a thing. She wasn't on a highway, but she was on a pretty busy road.

Did the kid have a helmet on? I have had scooters and have often seen children riding. Heck, I have even taken a dog on my scooter with me. Just don't see the problem.

pitc9
06-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Wow!! THe kid wasn't even on a seat!?!? :eek:
Yikes! Talk about an accident waiting to happen!

A co-worker has been looking into buying one, and I think my hubby wants to also! He only works 3+ miles from home, he could ride a scooter to work for a few weeks before needing to fill up.

Catlady711
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Funny, I was just about to start a thread about scooters. :D

I'm considering looking into buying one, but I have a lot of questions. I really don't know anyone who owns one and don't know what I should be looking for. Anyone able to help me out with what to look for and where to buy one?

What I would want one for would mainly be for around town, going to work, or getting groceries, maybe a short nearby trip.

I figure I'd need one that

1) can go the posted speed limits (55mph) for the roads I'd need to go on

2) can carry a passenger

3) has some cargo space or a rack or something for groceries etc.

4) Max distance I'd probably need to go would be like an hour drive away (I'm guessing like 30-40 miles???) No expressways though.

Please help if you can tell me anything or point me to a site that has good information on what to look for. I don't have alot of money and don't want to get ripped off, but with the cost of gas being what it is, I'm needing to consider alternatives for some of my travel.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

kitten645
06-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I've dreamed of owning a Vespa since the 80's! It's starting to look like it may be a practicality as much as a fashion statement! I work three miles from my home and a jaunt on a scooter in Cali weather sounds divine!:)
Claudia

RICHARD
06-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Honda made some scooters a while back. One was called the Helix. I think it had a 250 cc engine, had a step thru frame and had pretty good MPG. I haven't seen any scooters lately so it may be discontinued.

First of all think about the engine, size of engine, transmission.

2 or 4 stroke? 2 strokes need to have oil mixed in with the fuel.
They are simple engines but do smoke as the rings on the piston or the carb get out of sorts. 2 stroke engines get into the power curve and tend to buzz.
If you ride one for a while your arse buzzes after you get off the bike.

4 strokes have more parts and runs at lower engine revs. You just have to check the oil level in the crankcase and fill it with gas.

A bigger engine means you have more power for a passenger and stuff. Some scooters have built in boxes to carry little things, You can get some aftermarket carriers and racks the colt on to the bike.

Some bikes have auto trans-shift into gear and go, some have hand clutch and foot shift like a motorcycle.

Look into license requirements and take a safety course from the AMA or Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

BUY GOOD GEAR.

DO not spend 19.95 for the blue metal flake helmet at the local parts store,
Buy a brand name-Department of Transportation approved model.

It can save your life. I should have died twice-I had a good helmet on.

Gloves, jacket and boots, that cover your ankles.

Get your hands on riding material and talk to all the people you know that ride, have ridden and have had an accident. There are valuable stories and hints that can help you ride safely.

Last thing?

Ride like you are invisible. People do not see bikes or scooters. When you come across drivers, make eye contact with them-there are times when they will be looking at you and do something stupid- but that is one way of making sure that you can anticipate what they are going to do.

Good luck shopping and riding.

Freedom
06-07-2008, 08:45 AM
You must have a ton of scooter riders in RI.

Vespa opened a shop in Newport 2 years ago. Business has taken off at that store in the past 4 months!

RI does not require a helmet on a motorcycle, so I'm sure we don't require one on a scooter, either. :eek: DUH! Most that I see have a helmet, as we are right on the Mass. stat line, you can't help but cross now and again. Mass. DOES require a helmet. Other parts of RI border CT which also requires a helmet.

RICHARD
06-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Vespa opened a shop in Newport 2 years ago. Business has taken off at that store in the past 4 months!

RI does not require a helmet on a motorcycle, so I'm sure we don't require one on a scooter, either. :eek: DUH! Most that I see have a helmet, as we are right on the Mass. stat line, you can't help but cross now and again. Mass. DOES require a helmet. Other parts of RI border CT which also requires a helmet.

A teacher told this to our class about driving a motorbike with no safety gear on.

'Even a ride around the block can be dangerous on an MC. Guys, if you want to take a gal for a ride on your bike make sure she has the right gear on. No one likes scarred women.'

--------
My bro and SIL witnessed a scooter accident a few weeks ago. He told me that when the guy got up off the ground the face shield on the skid lid was scratched so badly that it was opaque and if he hadn't had a chin bar he face would have been scraped up pretty badly.