PDA

View Full Version : Flyball Practice!

BC_MoM
06-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Here's a video of Jers at flyball last night. She can do all four jumps, but for some reason I was starting her at two in this video.

Anyway... here it is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C6gRgteUKu4&fmt=18

Freedom
06-02-2008, 09:20 AM
I never realized how FAST it is! Glad you did a slo mo version. Great job, Jers!!!

cloverfdx
06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Woohoo go Jersey, great stuff :D. Looks like you have a fast little girl on your hands ;).

It was too dark to get video's Sunday at training, but Harri was doing 2 jumps, box/ball then the 2 jumps back. I am so proud of him. I would have tried a full run, but we were using the other 2 jumps for box work at the same time.

Keep up the good work.

BC_MoM
06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Woohoo go Jersey, great stuff :D. Looks like you have a fast little girl on your hands ;).

It was too dark to get video's Sunday at training, but Harri was doing 2 jumps, box/ball then the 2 jumps back. I am so proud of him. I would have tried a full run, but we were using the other 2 jumps for box work at the same time.

Keep up the good work.

Aw, that's awesome!! GO HARRI! :D

She has a fast runback, but her outruns are pretty slow... she's a very shy dog, but hopefully with time she will gain more confidence and pick up her speed more. :)

shepgirl
06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
If you find that slow, the poor dog will have to fly to go any faster. That was some speed, looks like fun.

chocolatepuppy
06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow, that's fast Jersey!:D

BC_MoM
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
If you find that slow, the poor dog will have to fly to go any faster.

Poor dog...?

cloverfdx
06-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Aw, that's awesome!! GO HARRI! :D

She has a fast runback, but her outruns are pretty slow... she's a very shy dog, but hopefully with time she will gain more confidence and pick up her speed more. :)
Yep as she matures a bit more and her confidence grows she should pick up speed :).

Thanks, he is doing so well. Hopefully we will train a bit earlier next time so i can get some video's of him.

shepgirl, they would not do it if they did not love it.. and you cannot 'make' a dog run faster, they go as fast as they want ;).

Ginger's Mom
06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I think shepgirl was complimenting Jersey by saying she was practically flying over the jumps. And the poor girl comment was said tongue in cheek, like jokingly saying poor misunderstood pup.

In any case, she really is zooming and seems to be enjoying herself. I have a question, Jess. You are holding her back legs at the beginning of the runs. Is that to prevent her from taking off early, or is that to set in a certain position for the run?

BC_MoM
06-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Some hold under the belly, some hold by the collar... it's because once your dog knows it's a game and a race, as soon as they hear "ready, ready, go" they go.. and when you are running with a team you have to wait your turn. It's just a restrain and in someways gets your dog pumped up more because he/she wants get outta there.

I hold Jersey by the legs usually, and hold them out from her body because it really helps to pump (you can see her tense up just before I release her) her up. :)

shepgirl
06-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Poor dog...?

Meant as an expression of affection, and not in poor abused dog. I thought her speed was great. I would have sounded pretty wussy saying "poor little sugar doll, you such a goodie goodie girl".

Jessika
06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Awww I want to do something like this with Jamie so bad but right now I REALLY don't have the time, maybe if they had Saturday classes or something nearby I could though, hmm...

BTW I really like your "informative" videos! Make more for training :)

lute
06-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Way to go Jersey! I love flyball. It's such a fun sport to watch. I've only seen it once in person.

BC_MoM
06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Awww I want to do something like this with Jamie so bad but right now I REALLY don't have the time, maybe if they had Saturday classes or something nearby I could though, hmm...

BTW I really like your "informative" videos! Make more for training :)

We have 8pm-10pm Sunday classes, lol.

Way to go Jersey! I love flyball. It's such a fun sport to watch. I've only seen it once in person.

I've seen none in person, and my first tournament is at the end of the month in Calgary. Jersey isn't ready, so I am running Muna, a friend's dog. I LOVE her:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/naumko/muna_lovely.jpg

NicoleLJ
06-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Wow she is flying. THose borders and jacks really know how to take flight. If anyone wants to See Sheena doing her flyball stuff here is her page:

http://giftofgracekennels.com/id28.html

Those were taken from two years ago. Her best time was 5.4 seconds. With Sheena luckily it doesn't matter which way I hold her she knows her job. Which is good because half the time I don't. Last practice the team had me letting her go from the side in stead of moving to the center as I normally would. They wanted to see if she would still know to move to the center, pass the other dog and do her routine, She did, The reason for this is for when I phase out and forget to get her ready, Then on of my team mates can just say go and I let her go, Sheena knows the rest. I thought it was a perfect solution to the problem.

Sorry for taking over yout thread, I am just a flyball nut. Keep those stories coming,
Nicole

BC_MoM
06-05-2008, 01:25 AM
I'm a flyball nut too! I don't mind. :D

Sounds like Sheena loves what she does there. I'd love to see a vid of her doing it!

cloverfdx
06-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Have fun at the tourny, enjoy the kaos of the day LOL.

Spiritwind
06-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I too have been reading this thread since it started... I wish I could watch the videos but my computer is a mess and will not let me LOL I also do a little bit of flyball..... with my smooth collie girl, actually we have a class tonight at 6:30..... I had to miss the last 2 wks of flyball because I was sick with the flu and couldn't get out of bed, so I'm looking forward to getting back.

My girl is still learning it and still has a ways to go, but LOVES the running part, she is pretty fast, and is now doing the single stride between each jump when they are regulation distance apart from eachother.... is doing much better with the box... is now getting all 4 feet on the box, and albe to do the "swimmers turn" as they call it (atleast where I doing training at)... which was kind of hard for her to learn because she is soo long bodied, it took her a couple classes to finally get her to get all 4 feet on the box and learn to kick back off the box....

The hardest part for her is to not spit out the ball on the way back to me... she loves the running and the excitement of flyball.. when other dogs are running she is barking and jumping and watching them closely because she wants to go run and play too... and she has an excellent recall to come back to me as fast as she possibly can... but she is one I had to train to get the ball because she had little interest in the ball, her main focus was food..... the trainer of the class said her first Jack Russell was the same way... she had to train him to pick up the ball etc... because he wasn't ball motivated either.... well Paris will get the ball now, they had me use a clicker to train her to get the ball, never used a clicker before then, and I have to say I LOVE those things now! Its amazing (to me) how fast she picked up what I wanted her to do (it took a couple steps) with the clicker.. no way she would have gotten it like that without the clicker...... but now she keeps spitting the ball out on her way back.... so thats what we were working on the last class I was at..

This is the 2nd class I've done.. in the first class we had a Boston Terrier who caught on quickly and was AMAZING.... they didn't bring him to the 2nd class, so I don't know if they are still working him or not, but he was great.... and in both classes i've taken we have this other person with a cute little shih tzu/maltese mix... believe that is what he is... smallest dog I've ever seen do flyball... he does really good!! but in the last class I was at, they said they needed to change the tension on the trigger in the box, because he couldnt trigger the box when he jumped on it to get the ball LOL

BC_MoM
06-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I have the opposite problem! Jersey won't spit the ball out for a tug or another ball! LOL

It sounds like need to teach Paris to "HOLD IT". Teach her to hold the ball in her mouth with the clicker. Start off with just a couple seconds, and work your way up slowly to 15 seconds. Then when she is good with that, you can add it to her runback. When she goes off the box (or picks up the ball off the ground if you're doing dead ball) and starts running back say "PARIS, HOLD IT!"

Good luck!

Jessika
06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Boo Jess, tried finding flyball training in my area via the internet and came up with NOTHING. But I knooow they exist... but I can't find anything. I'm so frustrated lol :(

Spiritwind
06-05-2008, 07:23 PM
I have the opposite problem! Jersey won't spit the ball out for a tug or another ball! LOL

It sounds like need to teach Paris to "HOLD IT". Teach her to hold the ball in her mouth with the clicker. Start off with just a couple seconds, and work your way up slowly to 15 seconds. Then when she is good with that, you can add it to her runback. When she goes off the box (or picks up the ball off the ground if you're doing dead ball) and starts running back say "PARIS, HOLD IT!"

Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah... thats what we have sort of been working on... well I haven't done much with her the last couple weeks since I've had the flu... but thats what I was trying to do before I missed the last 2 weeks.... but I just got back from Flyball class... I think the 2 wk break did her good.. she did surprisingly well.... and was very excited to be back.... and she VERY much wanted to go get that ball... which is HUGE for her, as when I first started flyball training with her in March (or was it april??? dunno) she wouldn't even think about going to get that ball!!! LOL

Didn't get her to bring the ball all the way back over all 4 jumps yet... so we took away all the jumps except the last one before the box.... as today she was spitting the ball soon as she would turn off the box, to start running to me.... so we got her to bring the ball over one jump and rewarded.... did that a few times... and then put a 2nd jump up... and got her to bring the ball back over 2 jumps... stopped at that for this class... but this week I'll work with her more on the "hold it" command.... for next weeks class...

BC_MoM
06-05-2008, 08:17 PM
That's awesome!!! Great work! Sounds like she'll get the hang of it pretty soon! ;)

Jess, I'll check around and see what I can find!

Spiritwind
06-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Jessika,

Just in case you hadn't seen this... here is a list of Flyball teams in Missouri.. maybe one is fairly close to you:

http://www.flyball.org/getstarted/missouri.html

Also here is another link http://flyballdogs.com/locator.html#missouri

Spiritwind
06-16-2008, 11:33 AM
So our last flyball class was this past Thursday. Paris did quite well. The classes are over but the flyball team practices on Sunday afternoons, and since the classes are over they told us we could come to the practices to continue to work our dogs....

So yesterday I took Paris up to the practice. Only 4 people showed up, but WOW! Much improved! I just cannot believe her, now that it finally "clicked' she loves it! and each time I take her she just turns on and gets more and more drive.....

Yesterday was the first time we actually cocked the ball back in the box so it would trigger when she hit the box. Before yesterday we just used some velcro to hold the ball in the hole so she could just hit the box grab the ball and go.... but triggering the ball didn't bother her at all, if anything it got her more excited to run the course.

As far as her spitting the ball out, I now have her running the course start to finish with 3 jumps and her bringing the ball back to me without spitting. I think she could have probably did 4 lastnight, but we didn't want to push it... so we just left it at 3 for this time because we didn't want to set her up to mess up...

We ended the practice by running a vetran black Lab (this dog acts like a 2yr old!) owned by the lady who owns the training building and Paris like they would in a competition, only just 2 dogs and 3 jumps... we did that about 3 times I think.. by the last run though Paris was really booking it down the course and back because she got so excited running with another dog..... the lady that owns the training building asked me if I was interesting in competing with her....

Its just amazing to me. Paris is the first dog I've ever done flyball with, I've seen it before and always thought it looked fun, but until recently never really had the chance to try it.... and Paris wasn't the dog I was originally wanting to do flyball with, I was originally wanting to do flyball with Paris' sister, Kelsey (who is my ball and toy loving dog).. but Kelsey came in season right as the first class was starting and then I bred her, so I took Paris instead. At first Paris wouldn't look at a ball, she wouldn't chase a ball, she wouldn't touch a ball... she loved the running part though... but I just didn't think she had a chance of getting this down and I almost gave up because she just didn't seem like she enjoyed it or that she'd ever figure it..... After a few weeks of clicker training, first training her to just look at the ball, then touch the ball and finally pick up the ball... it clicked and she just loves it. She is not one that tugs but she is food motivated and will do anything for it!! Now when I take her to practice she is excited, tail wagging, barking and ready to go!! LOL

Jessika
06-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the help, guys -- the only problem is the ones that are close by all lead to dead links or invalid emails :( I'm going to see about asking someone next time I go to a pet event or maybe I will contact my local Aussie or Border Collie rescue because I'm quite positive someone from there owns the breeds and has them participate is SOME type of activity!