PDA

View Full Version : Aroara never purrs...

Moesha
05-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Do any of you have a cat that never purrs? Aroara doesn't like to be held. Her nickname is StinkPot because of her nasty personality. She doesn't bite or scratch, but she squawks loudly when anyone holds her. Even when, on her own terms, she comes over and sits next to me or curls up and sleeps on me every night, she never purrs. When she was a kitten she loved to be held and would fall asleep almost instantly in your arms. But still, I cannot remember ever hearing her purr. I was just wondering if anyone else had a kitty like this. I've had her since she was about 8 weeks old. I found her abandoned in a parking lot.

Medusa
05-31-2008, 09:25 PM
My Specs, Yodie and Coco Puff don't purr either. Not sure why and I've stopped being concerned about it. They're healthy and happy, so I guess that's all that counts. It did bother me in the beginning, though.

Catty1
05-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Hmmm...although Cole settled in here happily when rescued - and he was tame - it was about a year before I heard his lovely low rumbly purr.

Aroara's vet checkups have always been good?

Unless you want to try Clomicalm or Feliway-squirt-on-the-collar for a while to see if it changes anything, I have no idea.

Moesha
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Yes, her vet checkups have been fine. I'm not concerned with her health. I just thought it was odd and figured I'd ask if any others had a similiar experience. The only other odd thing with her is that she is the one that often chokes after drinking water. Although I don't notice that quite as much lately, although it does still happen. I wonder if it is related somehow.

Medusa
05-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Yes, her vet checkups have been fine. I'm not concerned with her health. I just thought it was odd and figured I'd ask if any others had a similiar experience. The only other odd thing with her is that she is the one that often chokes after drinking water. Although I don't notice that quite as much lately, although it does still happen. I wonder if it is related somehow.

If it really does have you concerned, talk to your vet about it. Maybe it's just a personality thing, especially since I have 3 that don't purr.

catmandu
06-01-2008, 01:22 PM
TUBSTER PANTHER, MIQUELITO AND POUNCIERGE DONT PURR EITHER UNLESS ITS TO THEMSELVES.
I CERTAINLY DONT THINK THAT ITS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT
AS SOME CATS I GUESS NEVER LEARNED TO PURRR FROM THIER MOMMA CAT , WHO PURRRS TO HER BABIES TO LET THEM KNOW THAT SHES THERE FOR THEM, AND THAT ALL IS WELL.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1012545.jpg
I WISH I COULD PURRRR FOR MY MICHAEL

kittycats_delight
06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
My Bella never purrs either. She loves to be loved on and she headbutts and rubs against you. She will let you rub her belly and all but she does not purr. In fact the only time I ever heard anything remotely like a purr was when she was nursing her babies and it was more like a growling sound than a purr. I don't know but I think maybe some cats 'CAN'T' purr.

All my others even Phoenix who was severely abused before she was rescued purrs like motorboats!!

Michelle

AllAmericanPUP
06-02-2008, 07:29 AM
I dont think i ever heard Rome purr while i had her

Pawsitive Thinking
06-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Maybe she just doesn't know how to. Have you tried purring to her? ;)