PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have A Middle Name

lizbud
05-31-2008, 05:52 PM
I was wondering how many have and use their middle names?

moosmom
05-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Actually I was named after my uncle, Donald Edward Ploss, who died at the age of 19 in WWII. My full name is Donna Ellen Ploss.

jenluckenbach
05-31-2008, 06:18 PM
I have no middle name

Grace
05-31-2008, 06:32 PM
I have no middle name

Neither do I. And it drove me crazy when I was a kid. First to have a different first name - Gretchen - and then nothing in the middle. My mother, bless her heart, told me that when I got married I could use my maiden name in the middle. And that's exactly what I did. But what if I hadn't gotten married . . . . . . .http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/bored.gif

kuhio98
05-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Mine is Dawn. (My Dad's name was Don and he wanted a boy.) But, I don't use it.

Moesha
05-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Mine is Dawn. But, I don't use it.
Mine is too. And neither do I. :cool: I was named for a long time family friend. That's the only redeeming thing about the name in my opinion. I've even stopped using the initial on most things.

chocolatepuppy
05-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Annette Marie - I use my middle initial on important papers. ;)

Freedom
05-31-2008, 07:44 PM
I have three middle names. Two from my christening, one from my confirmation. Frances Alberta Angela.

I always use an "F." when I sign ANYTHING.

Medusa
05-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Actually I was named after my uncle, Donald Edward Ploss, who died at the age of 19 in WWII. My full name is Donna Ellen Ploss.

Hey, my middle name is Ellen, too. I never liked it much, especially when the Waltons was popular. "G'night, Mary Ellen" got a little old. I felt Mary was more sophisticated. Now I like it, though. Only my family (what's left of it) calls me Mary Ellen. And when I was in theater, I went by Ellen.

Sevaede
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
I have a middle name. I don't use it on a day to day basis but I do use it on important documents that require it. heh. My middle name is Noel. What's funny about that is some people pronounce it "no-elle" but some (such as my husband) say it like "hole with an n". :p

At any rate, I am not fond of it. :p Too many xmas jokes. :D

phesina
05-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Patricia Ann.

davidpizzica
05-31-2008, 08:20 PM
My middle name is Reed. I'm not too crazy about it and I usually use my middle initial "R". My full name is David Reed Pizzica (one point for pronouncing my last name right!)

Casper
05-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Michelle.
Courtney Michelle. No special meaning behind it. If you ask my mum, she will just say that it flowed. Just like if I was born a male, I would have been Cory Michael. I don't mind my middle name, but the only time I really hear it is when my mum is wanting me to do something... or if she is upset with me.

Karen
05-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I do, and I have always treasured it. It is pretty unusual, and I have never met anyone not related to me who had it as a middle or first name. It was my beloved Grandma's first name. I use my middle initial, A, whenever I sign my name, as my birth name and current last name are fairly common names, so I figure I'd better. Every one who sees my sign Karen A. Watts tends to assume my middle name is Ann or Anne, but nope.

My middle name is Aldea, pronounced AL-dee-uh. French Canadian in origin, probably a French-Canuck version of the English Althea.

Aspen and Misty
05-31-2008, 09:09 PM
My middle name is Nicole. Ashley Nicole. I really love my name and I know that Ashley is pretty common name but I have to admit that I simply love it!

Ashley

Catty1
05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Candace Arlene

NO idea where it came from.

My mom and her family of origin had no middle names...apparently that is usual in some cultures - her parents came from central Ukraine in 1925.

My mom took her maiden name as middle - to the extent of paying for it to be her legal middle name. Helen Cherak (the latter is her middle name).

CountryWolf07
05-31-2008, 09:25 PM
I do have a middle name.

Rachel Marie.

Marie is a family name.

carole
05-31-2008, 09:42 PM
My middle name is simply Anne, and i feel blessed, because the scottish tend to give their children a middle name which is actually a surname in the family, for instance my sister is margaret Ferris,which is my grandmother's maiden surname,:eek:i would hate that, so i am glad to have been given Anne.:)

K9karen
05-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes. My folks used their first names as my and my brother's middle names. My brother uses his all the time, it's Jack, great name. Sadly (hangs had in shame) I always thought mine was too old fashioned. I don't even use the initial unless I have to for legal purposes. It was always fun making people guess my middle name and nobody ever did. An ex coworker found out and to this day, he calls me by my first and middle name, on envelopes, when he calls, always, just to rattle me. I'll never tell. Sorry mom.

I was going to be named Caryn Leigh..never happened.

Taz_Zoee
05-31-2008, 10:23 PM
I am Cynthia Ann. I go by Cindy and hate it when people say Cindy Ann (sounds like Ragedy Ann to me). Well, that is what Bruce calls me. At first I got irritated, but now he is the only person I can tolerate it from. :)
My mom chose my middle name just because she liked it. It wasn't until later she discovered it was my dad's mom's name. Oh well, too late to change it. :rolleyes: I sign my name Cynthia A. (last name).

Scooter's Mom
05-31-2008, 10:40 PM
I have three middle names. Two from my christening, one from my confirmation. Frances Alberta Angela.

I always use an "F." when I sign ANYTHING.

Mine name is Crystal Sheri.

I use Crystal S. <last name> when I sign anything too! It's in my auto-signature at work, too.
I never used my middle initial until I was getting divorced in 1998. I guess it was a way to make me more ME.

critter crazy
05-31-2008, 10:50 PM
My Middle Name is Anne. No real special meaning, except it is my mothers middle name. My first name Margaret was my Grandmothers name, who passed before I was born at the age of 42 from Cancer.

Twisterdog
05-31-2008, 11:20 PM
My first and middle names are Shanna Rae.

My grandfather's middle name was Raymond, so a LOT of my boy cousins got the middle name Ray or Raymond. Guess my mom improvised with me.

I don't mind it, I don't know what else would go with my first name, and I think they sound pretty good together.

I don't use my middle name as an adult. But I clearly remember the first day of kindegarten, my teacher was calling roll and said, "Shanna?". I didn't answer at first ... I thought she must be talking to some other Shanna, because NEVER in my life had I been called anything but Shanna Rae. It's a southern thing, I guess.

My son's name is Dylan Ray, so I suppose I carried on the tradition.

My paternal grandmother's middle name was Cornelia. I always loved that name when I was kid. My mom's middle name is Irene. She hates it, but I love it. My dad's middle name was Carl, so they combined Irene + Carl, and my sister's middle name is Carlene. I was always so jealous that she got that middle name. LOL

krazyaboutkatz
06-01-2008, 01:13 AM
My middle name is Lynn and as far as I know there's no special meaning behind it.

Whisk_Luva
06-01-2008, 02:22 AM
My middle name is Alison (my mums first name). I always use the initial when I sign my name. Its quite funny though because I shorten Eleanor to Ellie and Alison to Allie so that makes me Ellie Allie and then my surename also has a double L in it too.... (though I am not posting my surename online)... so my name is like a tongue twister :D

Lilith Cherry
06-01-2008, 02:57 AM
I have three middle names too; I'm Linda Mary Lilith Cherry Surname.
I hate filling in official forms;)

Fuzzybuns
06-01-2008, 05:10 AM
I was adopted when I was 6 years old...was Wanda Marie (hate it!) and since then I've been Melissa Michelle. I got to pick my name and I use it like everyone else, to sign documents but I only hear my mom use it when I say or do something that shocks her or I get in trouble, nobody else uses it. I don't even get called by my first name...I go by Misty (there's a story behind that, too).

Pretty funny since I'm 39 years old, lol. I guess nothing really ever changes...

prechrswife
06-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I have a middle name, but I actually go by a nickname, so I only use my first and middle names on legal documents.

Alysser
06-01-2008, 08:20 AM
My middle name is Grace. I never really liked it, but it was my great-grandmother's first name. It does sound Okay with my name though:

Alyssa Grace.

My initials are AGG. :p

kittycats_delight
06-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I have one too and over the years have decided it isn't so bad. I think I decided it was ok after my grandmother passed on as it was her middle name so it kinda made me feel I would always have a piece of her. I would have preferred her first name instead but oh well.

My middle name is Harriett.

David I will give your last name a go. Phonically I would say 'Pitz E Ka'. And I would also venture a guess and say your family comes from southern Italy maybe Sicily or Calabria?

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I have a middle name, in fact I have 2: I got the names of my godmother(Mariette) and my godfather(Jacques) :D
We never use middle names here:rolleyes:

RICHARD
06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
My first and middle name depended on who my mom was yelling at..

For example.

"Steven, Michael, Richard, James or what ever your name is!"
:eek::rolleyes:

AdoreMyDogs
06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
My first and middle are Leslie Erin. First name is Scotch and middle is Irish and my maiden name is French, as I'm Scotch/Irish and French.

shais_mom
06-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I use my middle initial on important papers. ;)

same here-
Staci Lynn
or only when I get in trouble! ;)

lizbud
06-01-2008, 11:38 AM
We all have middle names in our family. Mine was Maureen.:) I really thought
everyone was given a middle name at birth, but guess that's not the case.

Actually, we all have 2 middle names if you count our confirmation names
too. Mine was Theresa. We were all able to chose our own confirmation
names.

p.s. Yes I do use my given middle name on all business documents.

animal_rescue
06-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Megan Irene

Irene after my grandma on my dad's side I believe.

Rachel
06-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I have a middle name but I'm not telling. With all the concern about identity theft these days, I'm far more cautious about giving out information, especially on the Internet.

Cookiebaker
06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Interesting thread. :) My middle name is Kyria, and I always sign my credit card slips with a 'K'.

gemini9961
06-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Lynn is my middle name. Amber Lynn. My Dad calls me Amber Lynn and some people at work found out my middle name and they call me Amber Lynn. I like my middle name. My parents chose it because it flows with Amber, you know quick off the tongue. However since being married my maiden name has become my middle name on my driver's license and social security card. Some paperwork still comes with Amber L. on it. I'll always be Amber Lynn.

cali
06-01-2008, 01:33 PM
my middle name is "Mercy" but I dont use it aside from legal stuff that requires me too lol.

Donnaj4962
06-01-2008, 04:20 PM
My middle name in Joanne, and my confirmation name is Brianne, so I am "Donna Joanne Brianne surname"

I have no idea where Joanne came from, but Donna is for my Dad's younger brother, Donald, who passed away when they were both very young.

critter crazy
06-01-2008, 04:24 PM
My son has a very unique Middle name. His middle name is Emesel. It was his grandfathers name, who passed the year before he was born. His grandfather got the name from the 3 Aunts that raised him. They created the name by using their initials. ME. SE. LE only backwards! I always found the story and the name intriguing, so we had to keep it in the family. :)

Edwina's Secretary
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
My middle name is Jane. All my names have four letters. One of the reasons I kept my birth name when I married....;) And I use it...or at least the inital always.

Pam
06-01-2008, 07:26 PM
It is Louise, and Louise is also my mother's middle name. Neither my mom nor I use our middle names in our formal signatures, but rather use our maiden names as our middle names.

Kfamr
06-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Kay Ann

Kay after my aunt, Frances Kay -- Ann after my other aunt, Judith Ann. Growing up, I insisted everyone called me Kay Ann -- I hated have a three letter name. Now, I like the name Kay just fine. :)

kt_luvs_kitties
06-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Katie Shaness ( said like the shampoo finesse). I have ALWAYS hated it, and I never use it. My husband loves it:rolleyes:

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-02-2008, 09:54 AM

For example.

LOL !!!!! That is similar to what my dad says when he wats to say my name; he uses all names of his kids and even other names!!

pitc9
06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm Angela Marie.
In school two of my close friends were also Angela Marie!

M&M's Mommy
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Theresa Marie :)

mruffruff
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Louise, never used but the initial is on legal documents. I was Mary Lou to my parents until I got to high school. The only time I liked it was when Ricky Nelson sang "Hello, Mary Lou-Goodbye heart':D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Denise Joanne :)

MoonandBean
06-02-2008, 01:17 PM

For example.

HAHA!! I do that with Moon, Bean and Sunny.

kuhio98
06-02-2008, 01:21 PM

For example.

:eek::rolleyes:Yeah, I went through a lot of years like that. My name was "Li-Car-Don-Lisa! stop doing that or you're going to get a whipping". :D

kuhio98
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Doesn't look like many people go by their middle names.
My mother's name is Cathryne Bernice. Growing up, she went by Bernice (she hated it). When she got out on her own, she went by Cathy.

When we visited her family (I think on the move from Scotland to Mississippi), they kept talking about someone named Bernice. Us kids had Noooooooo idea who they were talking about. We freaked out when they told us our mother's name was Bernice. As far as we were concerned, we had never met this person and they WERE NOT going to take us away from our Mom Cathy. :)

(We were young, what did we know about middle names? At that age, I had decided that Miss Issippi was a lady we were going to go visit).

Husky_mom
06-02-2008, 01:27 PM

For example.

LOL!!... my name is Isabel Adriana..... after my mom and I almost NEVER use it (only when legaly/officially required)... my mom gets called Adriana (she´s just like me I.A.) so if someone calls me that I usually don´t respond LOL... my grandma was also Isabel....and I have two cousins named Adriana´s too... so Isabel´s the name for me LOL....

my FIL often calls me like my BIL... not sure why:confused::rolleyes:...

Logan
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I always hated it that I didn't have a middle name when I was younger. I was not enamored with my first name and monograms were very popular when I was in high school and my initials "LH" were so boring! LOL! Now I use my maiden name as my middle name so I finally have a real monogram! :)

Karen
06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I went through a lot of years like that. My name was "Li-Car-Don-Lisa! stop doing that or you're going to get a whipping". :D

Hee hee! That reminds of my Great Aunt Bertha ... who was one of 8 children, and the youngest of the 5 girls. Growing up, she almost always heard her name as "Edith, Ethel, Elizabeth, Florence, BERTHA!"

slick
06-02-2008, 05:24 PM
My Mom wanted to give me a name of dignity (excuse me while I scratch my armpits) so she called me Victoria Alice. :rolleyes: Victoria, after Queen Victoria and Alice, after my Grandmother on my Dad's side.

sparks19
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
My middle name is Marie... I don't introduce myself as Tanya Marie but I do use it sometimes.

Hannah's middle name is the same :)

It was my late grandmothers name

Suki Wingy
06-03-2008, 12:33 AM
My middle name (as well as both my little 1/2 sisters' middle names) is my mother's last name. I'd say maiden name but she did not take her husband's last name. My family usually doesn't do that and I don't plan on doing it either since I like my last name.

sumbirdy
06-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Summer Dawn. My dad's name is Don. I was named after him. I really don't mind my name at all. I rather like it actually.

WELOVESPUPPIES
06-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I was given my maternal grandmothers middle name....Madeline. When I was a kid I hated it because it was so different, now I cherish it, and I hear it all the time just spelled differently sometimes.

fritz03
06-03-2008, 11:22 AM
My middle name is Edward, it was Dad's middle name,his Dad's and my Great -Great and Great -Great-Great -Grandfather were named Edward,so I guess it was a tradition.I use it when I signing things just the initial on some things,do use the whole name on some checks I get .

cyber-sibes
06-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Patricia Ann.Ditto. (I've only met 2 Pats who didn't have Ann as a middle name.) I use it on legal documents.

My dad didn't have a middle name, and my Mom's rhymed with her first name - she hated it, but it was the custom to use the name of the godparent as a child's middle name.

finn's mom
06-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm Kari (pronounced "carry") Ann. My mother saw it in a newspaper article, as Karianne. She split the name and dropped the E. I am rarely called by both names, except for one family I've known all my life (there is a son named Kerry in their family, so to avoid confusion, I was and always will be Kari Ann to them.). :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Megan Jo.

=] Uncommon, but I've learned to like it. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
06-04-2008, 09:34 AM
My middle name is Ann. I don't ever use it though. My mom, dad, and sister all often call me Kari Ann or Onnie (long story, but basically it started as Annie and evolved into Onnie years ago).

BitsyNaceyDog
06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm Kari (pronounced "carry") Ann. My mother saw it in a newspaper article, as Karianne. She split the name and dropped the E. I am rarely called by both names, except for one family I've known all my life (there is a son named Kerry in their family, so to avoid confusion, I was and always will be Kari Ann to them.). :)
I don't think I've ever seen "Karianne" before, I like it. As for me, my Dad picked the name Kari and then my mom chose the spelling after seeing the name of Kari Michaelson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0584566/) on Gimme a Break (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081869/). My middle name was just pulled out of the air because it goes well with Kari.