PDA

View Full Version : Nutro Food

Taz_Zoee
05-30-2008, 12:48 PM
I was looking through the links Jazzcat posted in Cat General. http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=142841 And now I'm very worried. We feed (and have since she got on adult food) Zoee the Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. She has not had any of the symptoms described in the links and we just bought a new bag less than two weeks ago. My boyfriend just keeps saying if there's something wrong they'd pull it off the shelves and do a recall.
Does anyone know anything about this? Should I just switch her food immediately (even though I have a brand new HUGE bag). And if so, what food would you recommed?
Help!! I am freaking out about this.:confused::(

ETA: I called my vet and they haven't heard anything about this. She suggested I contact the company. But what I've read they are not responsive. I checked their website and it says nothing about a recall or anything of that nature.:confused::confused:

kittycats_delight
05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
With all due respect to your boyfriend I wouldn't wait for a recall. Recalls come only when something very serious comes about. This is Zoee's health and life we are talking about and even if there is only a slight chance I would not want to risk her well being. The company is going to defend their product until there is CONCRETE proof that there is something wrong with the food and then most likely they will say they didn't know. If it was me then I would switch her. (JMO) I know a lot of people use Evo (I think) & Merrick brands. I feed Artica Almo Nature. It is an all natural food but is not available in the US. When she was a puppy she was feed Royal Canin Medium Puppy. They also have it for adults Royal Canin Medium Adult. Royal Canin is available in the US.

Let us know what you decide. We hope this 'issue' with Nutro is resolved or is unfounded but from what we read through consumer reports website there are a lot of animals falling ill and the one thing they all had in common was they were feed some type of Nutro.

(((((HUGS)))))) to you and Zoee
Michelle

sammy101
05-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh wow this is bad. My two get fed Nutro Natural Choice.

Well
I need opinions on some foods to switch to.
Kodie has food allergies so I have to be careful what to feed him.

Taz_Zoee
05-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Thank you for the response, Michelle. No offense taken about my boyfriend. I got angry with him when he said this and told him he doesn't care about Zoee. Then I hung up the phone and had a small cry here at my desk.

I do want to change her food. I called my brother and they switched their dogs from Nutro to California Natural. Then this last time my niece went to get the food and ended up with Diamond Naturals. Both of these are Lamb and Rice. Well, Boo, the older dog hardly ate the California Natural and now he seems to be eating more with the Diamond Naturals.
Has anyone heard of these foods? It would actually be nice to have Zoee on the same food as her cousins. But I am also open to other suggestions. I am also going to look into the ones Michelle named in her post. I also need something that I can get easily.

CathyBogart
05-30-2008, 02:10 PM
I've been hearing about this on the radio a lot lately, it's really scary after everything that happened last year. :(

Rachel
05-30-2008, 03:05 PM
YIKES. Hannah is on the Nutro formula for sensitive stomachs and it has been wonderful in keeping her from developing that excessive stomach acid which she would gurk up.

Actually she doesn't feel well today, but she doesn't have any of the symptoms described and she still has an appetite. My first guess is that her symptoms are due to eating bunny poop outside. My second guess would be the Glucosomine and Chondroitin supplement I started her on this week. She also had her heart worm preventative on Tuesday.

Thanks for posting this caution. I don't know that I'm immediately going to stop feeding Nutro, but I may discuss it with our vet.

Pam
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
I stopped feeding Nutro when it appeared on the list with the whole mess months ago. I have switched back to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and this time bought the light formula. This is the one food that I have found that is perfect for Ripley. I can't even remember the last time he gurked up bile. Plus it has the added benefit of less calories for Bella who has a really good appetite and a tendency to put on an extra pound if not watched. :o

I called my brother after viewing this thread because his dog eats Nutro Lamb and Rice. He will most likely be switching. All of this is so scary. :eek:

Kfamr
05-30-2008, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't wait for a recall, either. I'm currently feeding Wellness CORE and I am very happy with the results. I was feeding Nature's Variety but wasn't liking it.

I may eventually switch back to Innova EVO Red Meat.

lizbud
05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow this is scary. I have fed Nutro Max for years now and never had
a problem. I haven't tried the Natural Choice Nutro products. I would
be very disappointed if Nutro was careless with the ingredients & it
harmed animals. The Nutro Max stuff has always been consided a good
dog food.

lizbud
05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I stopped feeding Nutro when it appeared on the list with the whole mess months ago. I have switched back to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and this time bought the light formula.

Pam. I checked that list every time they added any new Brand name,
and never saw Nutro products listed for recall.:confused:

I never did switch dog or cat food because I never saw Pedigree ,
Purina or Nutro Max listed. All the animals seem fine to me.

Spiritwind
05-30-2008, 04:53 PM
I do want to change her food. I called my brother and they switched their dogs from Nutro to California Natural. Then this last time my niece went to get the food and ended up with Diamond Naturals. Both of these are Lamb and Rice. Well, Boo, the older dog hardly ate the California Natural and now he seems to be eating more with the Diamond Naturals.
Has anyone heard of these foods?.

I have been feeding my dogs Diamond Naturals for a little over a year now, and they are doing great on it!! Great skin and coat...They love it, eat it very well... and its good ingredients....

I have heard of California Natural but don't know anything about it...

Taz_Zoee
05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I have been feeding my dogs Diamond Naturals for a little over a year now, and they are doing great on it!! Great skin and coat...They love it, eat it very well... and its good ingredients....

I have heard of California Natural but don't know anything about it...

Cool! Then maybe I'll switch her to Diamond Naturals. I just found out where I can get it near me. We have a new bag of the Nutro that we've already opened, so we will keep it and just see what happens later with this company.
Thank you for the info on it. :)

Jessika
05-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Cool! Then maybe I'll switch her to Diamond Naturals. I just found out where I can get it near me. We have a new bag of the Nutro that we've already opened, so we will keep it and just see what happens later with this company.
Thank you for the info on it. :)

Diamond has had a string of food recalls in the past, too though so just be cautious (though I believe they took huge steps to improve, you just never know).

Canidae for me though all the way. Charlie has a lot of skin problems and he improved when I had him on Nutro but he's doing a million times better now that he's on Canidae! And we found a store nearby that sells it even cheaper than what I used to pay, almost $10 cheaper for the same sized bag!!!

kallisto4529
05-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Cindy I feel Reilly Science Diet, I had bought a small bag of the Nutro once when he was still a puppy and he hated it...lol would not touch it for anything, plus he hates any brand if it is lamb and rice, dunno why he does not like that flavor but he doesn't. We switched him to Science Diet after he hit his yr old mark, he has done great on it, I can get it more readily too.

Taz_Zoee
05-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Diamond has had a string of food recalls in the past, too though so just be cautious (though I believe they took huge steps to improve, you just never know).
Oh great!! How can I tell what is ok, darn it?!?! Well, I guess if the Diamond and Cal Natural is not on a list NOW it's okay. It's sad that I am scared to feed my dog anything!!! Thank you Jessika, for the info. :)

Cindy I feel Reilly Science Diet, I had bought a small bag of the Nutro once when he was still a puppy and he hated it...lol would not touch it for anything, plus he hates any brand if it is lamb and rice, dunno why he does not like that flavor but he doesn't. We switched him to Science Diet after he hit his yr old mark, he has done great on it, I can get it more readily too.
My mom fed Kodi (RB Min Pin) Science Diet all his life and he lived to be 17 1/2 yrs old. So I guess that it's a pretty good food. But we'll just have to see what I can get easily and for a good price. Of course it must be "good" food. Although, I'm beginning to wonder what's good anymore. :(
Thank you Aunti Marti, for your info too. :D

Spiritwind
05-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Oh great!! How can I tell what is ok, darn it?!?! Well, I guess if the Diamond and Cal Natural is not on a list NOW it's okay. It's sad that I am scared to feed my dog anything!!! Thank you Jessika, for the info. :)

My mom fed Kodi (RB Min Pin) Science Diet all his life and he lived to be 17 1/2 yrs old. So I guess that it's a pretty good food. But we'll just have to see what I can get easily and for a good price. Of course it must be "good" food. Although, I'm beginning to wonder what's good anymore. :(
Thank you Aunti Marti, for your info too. :D

Diamond had a recall over 2 yrs ago, because of some toxic stuff (can't remember full details anymore, its been over 2yrs ago) that got into the corn at the South Carolina plant. It is PERFECTLY fine now.... Diamond Naturals has NO corn, wheat, soy or by-products in its food.... Diamond Naturals came out after the Diamond recall... I've been feeding it for over a year with no problems.... to puppies and adults alike.... they do great on it.

Also... Diamond Naturals is by far much better quality food than Science diet... just compare ingredients.... and Science diet will typically cost you much more... its way over priced for its quality...

lute
05-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Canidae for me though all the way. Charlie has a lot of skin problems and he improved when I had him on Nutro but he's doing a million times better now that he's on Canidae! And we found a store nearby that sells it even cheaper than what I used to pay, almost $10 cheaper for the same sized bag!!!

My dogs get Canidae too. Beanie who is allergic to corn has made leaps and bounds on this food. Tallon, who has allergies as well has done wonderful on it since I switched him from what his breeder was feeding him.

I've never fed Nutro so I don't know a lot about it. I've not heard anything about it yet though. I don't think your boyfriend doesn't not care about Zoee. Men will be men. They don't care about a whole lot that doesn't effect the directly. (No offense to any men here.)That's why I'm single. My first question to any possible guy is "Do you like dogs?" Haven't heard the correct answer yet.:p

Anywho, making your decision on a new food doesn't have to be so hard. When the re-call came out I picked a food that had never been recalled and was still good for my dogs. Start there. That will eliminate a lot.

Diamond food is not bad. I agree with Spiritwind. Diamond naturals is better than origonal Diamond foods. I fed my Sibes and Great Dane puppy Diamond for a long time with no problems at all. BUT because they were on the recall list I eliminated them from my choices of foods to feed.

Taz_Zoee
05-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Ahhh, thank you Spiritwind. That helps put my mind at ease. :) I've been on an emotional roller coaster today!!

Taz_Zoee
05-30-2008, 07:53 PM
LOL Lute you posted as I was posting. :)
Yeah, boyfriend likes dogs. He had the cocker in my siggy and treated him like his son. I just feel like he's not giving Zoee as much attention as he did DJ. I know he loves her and wants the best. He just thinks I'm jumping to conclusions. :rolleyes:
I just told him I'm changing her food. TOLD not asked. :)

lute
05-30-2008, 07:55 PM
You are not jumping to conclusions. Just simply looking out for the welfare of your beloved pupper!;)

Taz_Zoee
05-30-2008, 08:00 PM
You are not jumping to conclusions. Just simply looking out for the welfare of your beloved pupper!;)

Thank you!! :D

mr.chiwawa
05-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Mister is EXTREMELY picky eater so when I discovered he loved the chihuahua formual of the Royal Cain. That is what I buy ( nothing is too much money for my baby:p) and that is what he eats. And I can get away with getting a 3 pound bag and it lasting close to a month:rolleyes: the perks of a small dog. Anyways wish you the best of luck. Trust me it took a while to find a food not only I was comfortable with but one Mister would eat.
Give zoee a big hug for me....:love:

Pam
05-31-2008, 05:14 AM
Pam. I checked that list every time they added any new Brand name,
and never saw Nutro products listed for recall.:confused:

Liz, Nutro's name was on the early (probably the first) list although the list never did specifiy which particular types of their food might be affected. To be safe, I stopped feeding Nutro altogether.

lizbud
05-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Liz, Nutro's name was on the early (probably the first) list although the list never did specifiy which particular types of their food might be affected. To be safe, I stopped feeding Nutro altogether.

Oh wow, If I had seen that I would have been a nervous wreck.:(

My pups are doing so well on it & even get praised for their shiny coats.

Seravieve
05-31-2008, 09:37 AM
We used to feed Nutro Max.. before Eli joined us. Then switched to Nutro Natural Choice. Bunny lost LOTS of weight on NC.. so we switched to Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice. In the mean time also took Eli off the Purina Puppy Chow he was eating when we got him and put him on Nature's Recipe as well. He never did like the Nutro NC Puppy. They all seem to like Nature's Recipe.

I also wanted to switch them to a food not on the last recall list. And one without ByProducts... And and added bonus.. Nature's Recipe seems to go on sale a lot at Petsmart with PetPerks. Was 26.49 for 40lbs 2 weeks ago. Not sure where you get your food, but I know Petsmart will let you return opened bags of food. We did several times with the Nutro varieties.

If we were made of money... I'd feed Blue Buffalo. They REALLY liked the sample bag of it.. but $40+ for 30lbs.. too much for me with three big dogs. I like all the interesting varieties they offer.

Sevaede
05-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I have not fed Nutro so I can't offer much perspective there. I *CAN* tell you that I've tried this food made in Canada called Orijen. I've only ever seen it sold at one place so I purchased a small trial bag. Spanky loved it and it really showed even after only just that bag. It (the food, shiny coat, etc) lasted several weeks! :D