PDA

View Full Version : New Floors!

anna_66
05-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Well we finally took the plunge and took out our carpet & linoleum and got laminate floors. It looks great and smells even better...LOL:D

Of course I got pictures!

Before, with the carpet....yuck, look how dirty:o
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/marie_66/P5210568.jpg
And after...much better!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/marie_66/P5210592.jpgAnd the kitchen/dining room before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/marie_66/P5280690.jpgAnd after!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/marie_66/P5280695.jpg

I have to say that now I want to paint both rooms. I don't like the color of the floor with the color of the walls...lol!

Now the down side...the dogs don't really like it, especially Bon:(
This is what he thinks of the whole thing...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/marie_66/P5290704.jpg

He NEVER laid in his crate before. He occasionally lays on the floor but most of the time now he'll go in the bedroom on the carpet:o
Kind of defeats the purpose of getting the floor...lol.

For those of you that have laminate/hardwood/tile....do your dogs like it?

kuhio98
05-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Beautiful! Don't you just love laminate?
We bought a house a few months ago with hardwood floors. I absolutely hate them! We've put so many dings and scratches in them just moving in.

We call them softwood floors. :p If it were up to me, I'd go back to laminate in a heartbeat.

RobiLee
05-29-2008, 09:24 AM
I can't answer the question about the dogs and flooring but I'm sure they will get use to it before long. Hopefully!

I just wanted to say that the floors look great! I can't wait to see it all in person. :)

pitc9
05-29-2008, 09:34 AM
The floors look Great Anna!
Bon will like it when it's hot outside and he can lay on the cool floor!
Just ask Buddy! ;)

Taz_Zoee
05-29-2008, 09:45 AM
The floors look really good!

We have original hardwood flooring in our house. The house was built in 1964, I think. It's all Zoee has known since she's lived with us. The thing I don't like about it is when we play with Zoee in the house I'm always afraid she's going to hurt herself when she slips and slides on the floor.
She loves to lay in the hallway right up against the wall. In the summer that is her favorite place because it's cool. In the winter she stays in the bedroom on the carpet or the bed.
The thing I do like about hardwood floors is sweeping feels cleaner to me. I can SEE what is on the floors, unlike carpets. And you never really know if you get everything up from the carpet with the vacuum. Especially if you do not have a very powerful one.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-29-2008, 09:51 AM
The new floors look great.

I am sure the doggies will get used to it in time - we put laminate flooring in Katie's room and Tobey has just got the hang of walking on it. At first he did look a bit like Bambi on the ice :D

Daisy and Delilah
05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
WOW!! The floors look fabulous, Anna!!! I had laminate floors put in most of the house a few years ago. The dogs never have seemed to mind it. Sometimes I think Delilah will throw her shoulder out as fast as she moves when she has to run to the window. All in all, it's worked out great. I loved seeing that carpet leave the house. With the new floors, you get to hear their claws clicking and it's a wonderful little sound. I think you'll really enjoy it. Bon will eventually come around.:)

Cincy'sMom
05-29-2008, 11:24 AM
The floors look great!!!

When we first took carpet out fo the kitchen (yes, kitchen!) and dining room, the dogs were no so sure. They have adjusted, seem to like it fine, and Cincy even "surfs" on the floor mat in front of the sink as she goes racing for her tennis ball.

Pam
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Congratulations Anna! The new floors look great! You will NOT be sorry. :) When we had ours put in we had considerable slipping and sliding on the part of the dogs for a couple of days. :) My two have adjusted very well. You can literally see them put on their brakes at times. :D Occasionally when my granddog, Harlee, visits she has a "splat" moment which is funny because Robyn has laminate flooring in her kitchen and Harlee needs to deal with that to get to the back door. :) I guess "the bigger the dog the harder they fall" (just like Bon!) Nevertheless, you will NEVER be sorry! Lookin' good! ;)

lute
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
The dogs will get use to it. Bon is just being a drama king.:rolleyes: In the summer they will like the cooler floors.

I have laminate floors in my kitchen and bathroom. The only dog of mine that has a problem with it is Chloe. Which doesn't make sense to me because the home she was raised in had ALL laminate and hardwood floors.

Casper
05-29-2008, 05:42 PM
The floors look wonderful!

We recently redid all of the main rooms in our house with wood look-a-like tile. It is quite convincing and I am in love with it. :]

As for the boys, they are not all that thrilled. Frisk & Ethan adjusted almost instantly, but Skylar absolutely refused to walk on it for the first three days. It did not help that mum decided to clean them with Pledge. :o
We put a rug under the kitchen table, and that is always where you find Frisk sitting.
I think the cats enjoy it the most. At night when they are all chasing eachother and "thundering" through the house they are sometimes able to slide from one end of the room to another. =D

Seravieve
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
The floors look great!!!

When we first took carpet out of the kitchen (yes, kitchen!)...

AHHH someone else who had carpet in their kitchen! Gross! Ours left a couple months after we moved in. Put in Maple colored laminate. Dogs love it on hot days... or after a walkd... they come in here a stretch out to cool their bellies, especially Bunny.

Your floors look great!! Much improved.

critter crazy
05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Awsome!! I love it!! Duke actually loves the laminate floor we have, he loves to just lay on it, cause it is cooler. :)

3muttsandaboston
05-29-2008, 06:33 PM
You should get a couple good rugs. Your dogs will love them. I have the whole downstairs of my house in hardwood floors and the dogs always lay on the rugs unless they are hot then they will lay on the floor. They look nice!

anna_66
05-29-2008, 07:58 PM
With the new floors, you get to hear their claws clicking and it's a wonderful little sound.
LOL! Little? Not so little here:p I don't know, the bigger the dog the bigger the sound?! But I am getting used to it.

Thanks for the nice replies everyone. I think the three of them are adjusting well, it's just Bon (yes, very much so a drama king:rolleyes: ) He gets spooked by so many things, guess this is just one of them he's going to have to get over!

I am going to be obsessed with cleaning them though! I was coming in from the garage and a Huney furball came floating right at me:eek:
Oh well at least like you say, I can see what's there where with the carpet it was all hiding (which wasn't always a bad thing;))

Rachel
05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh, Anna, your floors are absolutely beautiful. I think you made a wonderful selection.

We have laminate (kitchen) and hardwood in the dining room and family room, and my dogs too seem to have sort of a hard time when they want to move fast. I've compromised by having strategically placed area rugs. Most of them are the kind that you can buy at a store like Kohls and that can be thrown in the washing machine when they get dirty. They have the rubber backing so they don't slip. I have a three larger area rugs that can't be washed that way. But even this *solution* in deference to the dogs has a down side. I think that rubber backing on the rugs gives off an odor of sorts. When I come home from being gone for a couple hours, I notice the smell and it's not *dog*. But this does seem to work for us.

Cincy'sMom
05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I am going to be obsessed with cleaning them though! I was coming in from the garage and a Huney furball came floating right at me:eek:
Oh well at least like you say, I can see what's there where with the carpet it was all hiding (which wasn't always a bad thing;))

That is a downside...I am constantly picking up furballs off the floor! They are so much more noticeable then in carpet, and even right after sweeping, it seems another small animal has formed!!

petslover
05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
The floors look really good. Carpet with pets rarely work. We had to pull our carpet a few years ago. They didn't like it at first, but they got used to it.

dukedogsmom
05-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Looks really nice! We've got carpet except for in the kitchen. Poor Bon. Maybe he'll get used to it. You've still got dog beds in the living room, right? Does he lay on them?

Animalhouse26
05-29-2008, 10:55 PM
I think they look LOVELY!! WOW!! What a big difference. I LOVE tile and Hardwood floorings. In my mom's house we had carpet through out.And we moved out and now just have carpet in the bedrooms. Falise can care less really.. Ty.. I never thought about him not likeing the tile.. cause he is always a Dog bed type of dog. If there isn't something on the floor for him to lay on, he wont! Period! Lol Carpet or not! :-) So, I Don't know!

As far as vaccuming on the tile.. I found this vaccum and it is AMAZING!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8511693&st=kruz&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1188438378410

It is made FOR Tiles and hard floors! it is Light,and Moves VERY Smooth! I have a sensitive back,and it doesn't bother me AT ALL! I LOVE IT! I bring it out every other day and vaccum!

Grace
05-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Your floors look great!!

We put in hardwood floors a year ago. Best thing we ever did. Douglas is allergic to the cats, and we have 6. With the carpet, I could never vacuum all the hair up - with the wood floors it's a snap!!

We don't have any dogs, but the 6 cats are so funny. They run around the circuit, sliding as they go. Hasn't bothered them one iota. One of the cats loves lying on the wood - he seems to know he matches the color ;)

The wood goes into the kitchen, and I have not had any trouble with it. We have a huge L-shape LR, DR, Kitchen and it looks better to have it all uniform.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/DSCN5486-1.jpg

shais_mom
05-29-2008, 11:43 PM
they look great! :D

shais_mom
05-29-2008, 11:46 PM
AHHH someone else who had carpet in their kitchen! Gross! Ours left a couple months after we moved in. Put in Maple colored laminate. Dogs love it on hot days... or after a walk... they come in here a stretch out to cool their bellies, especially Bunny.

Your floors look great!! Much improved.

now I had linoleum in my kitchen and my parents insisted on laying their old carpet in my kitchen to keep it warmer. :confused:
I don't like it at all other than the tile/linoleum/etc would be hard for Keegan and her hips to get used too now. :(
My mom has carpet in her kitchen and so does my grandma.:confused: I don't get it. Something hard would be so much easier to clean!

Ginger's Mom
05-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Looks great! And I am glad to hear that the furkids (except Bon) are getting comfortable with it. It has already been suggested several times, but strategically placed throw rugs will make running and playing easier for the kids. I have wood laminate in the sun room, and Ginger does slide around, and I think if the room were bigger (it's only 10x10) and I didn't have a throw rug she would avoid going in. But with the throw rug she knows she isn't going to slide too much, and it is easy to clean and fairly cheap to replace (every two years or so). I don't think Bon is going to let the other pups have fun for too long without joining in.;)

elizabethann
05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Nice floors. Nice dogs too. :)

Sevaede
05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
That looks superb! :D Poor Bon, it will be okay. *petpetpet*

The only rooms in our apt that have carpet are the bedrooms and the living room. It is tile through the rest. Spanky first came home to hardwood and tile throughout so she has been used to it. She slides a lot when she is running but she doesn't even pay any mind to that. :D

(while apt hunting, I found a place that had carpet ONLY in the kitchen!)

lizbud
05-30-2008, 12:12 PM
The new flooring looks great.:D I would love to have it in my kitchen.
When I bought this house, first thing I did was remove all the old carpet
to show the hardwood floors. I had to go with the area rugs & a few throw
rugs for Buddy. I was always worried about his re-injuring his hips with a
bad fall. I think big dogs must feel very unsteady with slick flooring & I
don't blame them.:) The kitties don't seem to mind, one way or the other.

CathyBogart
05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
When my parents put in hardwood floor, Star did NOT like it at first, but she got used to it after a few weeks.

cyber-sibes
05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Your new floors look super, Anna! Have you stopped sliding on them yet?;)
We have tile in the kitchen/dining area now, and Jack especially seems to like to lie on it, even though the living room carpet is just a foot away. It must be cooler on the tile. The hair does seem to gather in the corners, but I use a floor attachment on the vaccuum & it sucks it up quickly. I wish it came out of the carpets as easily!

Rachel
05-30-2008, 02:49 PM
The hair does seem to gather in the corners, but I use a floor attachment on the vaccuum & it sucks it up quickly.

Oh and it is so satisfying to see it go. I know, it doesn't take much to give me a thrill. In celebration of your new floors, go out and buy yourself a Swiffer for those in between times when you don't want to drag out the vacuum.

Christiansmommy
05-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Looks great!! The nice thing about laminate, is that it cleans so well!! But yes, those flying fur balls of hair are a bit more noticeable on the wood than carpet! We have Pergo in our foyer, kitchen, and hallway...so in order for Harlee to get anywhere, she has to use it. Took a bit at first for her to get use to it...and she still has her moments where she runs to the carpet ( for safety) of that mean slipper floor! We have a galley kitchen...and so when she walks down it one way...she will sometimes back up all the way down...to get out into the main part of the kitchen...as to be slow and careful, it is a funny sight!....

If she gets running on it....watch out...b/c she'll slide right into you (or a door) when she finally does try to put her breaks on!. She has a hard time chasing the cats on it, so that's a plus! :)

But I love it anyway, and I will always have Pergo from now on...so easy to keep clean...it is too hard of a wood for dirt to get embedded into it, and I love that! :)

Post pics, if you decide to re-paint any walls :)

lizbud
05-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Oh and it is so satisfying to see it go. I know, it doesn't take much to give me a thrill.

Oh Rachel, you gave me a big chuckle confessing this.:D Some days I
feel the same way.LOL:D

Seravieve
05-31-2008, 09:45 AM
now I had linoleum in my kitchen and my parents insisted on laying their old carpet in my kitchen to keep it warmer. :confused:
I don't like it at all other than the tile/linoleum/etc would be hard for Keegan and her hips to get used too now. :(
My mom has carpet in her kitchen and so does my grandma.:confused: I don't get it. Something hard would be so much easier to clean!

When we moved in here, there was white carpet in the living room and straight on through to the kitchen/dining area. Grossed me out. Needless to say, the white carpet wasnt REALLY white anymore in the kitchen... :(

Watching the pups play on the laminate is hilarious. We throw balls into the kitchen from LR and they run and slide to get them... sometimes right into the sliding door. There's a rug right in front of the door, so that kind of helps to stop them before the door.

One thing about laminate... Definitely hurts the feet if you cook for a while standing on it. I have a rug in front of the sink and I'll usually cook with slippers or flops on, so my feet dont hurt as bad. Our laminate is right over a concrete slab though.. so that could have an affect.

mruffruff
06-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I also replaced all of my carpeting with Pergo. Only the kitchen and cat room have vinyl.

I'm always picking up dust bunnies-some as big as baseballs! But the house is cleaner and smells better. I use a Quick-up vacuum or a dust mop a couple of times a week, and damp mop once a week with a Swiffer type mop.

The dogs got used to it pretty quickly. The cats still slide around when they try a quick take-off:D

Mine has a few spots where the top layer is lifting. I suspect either dog drool or cat pee that sat on the surface too long. I'm always checking for wet spots now.

Your floors look so nice. Good job;)

Freedom
06-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Nice job, the new floors look great!

Keeping Bon's nails on the short side will help him get a bit of traction on the new floors.

kuhio98
06-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I (and Willy, of course) highly recommend the Dirt Dawg. http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=131774

I turn it on as I go out the door and runs around to its hearts content (or until its battery runs down :p) and no more dust bunnies i/e rolling tumbleweeds (those suckers are huge!)

It runs under the beds and furniture. I do try to make sure that all light-weight area rugs are up and out of the way. It will try to suck them up. Also stuff like long power cords might get wound around the brushes. This thing really works!

mruffruff
06-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks! I just ordered one. Sounds like just what I need.

anna_66
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks! I just ordered one. Sounds like just what I need.
So, did you get it yet? Do you like it?

kuhio98
07-23-2008, 07:41 PM
So, did you get it yet? Do you like it?I was just wondering the same thing. We liked ours so much we ordered a second one for downstairs. :D

Lori Jordan
07-24-2008, 09:20 AM
I missed this thread when it was first posted.

I had the same as you Anna,We put all new laminate down,I love it so easy to clean.And i find with any carpet and pets you always get the odor,With Molly i love her dearly but she stinks,With the slober sticking to her fur lol.

I love the laminate it is so easy to clean,I just worry about Molly,She is not getting any younger i worry about her hips,She or any of my guys cannot get traction on the floor,So i just went out and got little carpets to put around.

We had our basement redone in a nice carpet,I forgot how much of a pain it was having carpet,The dogs run down to the basement with muddy feet,If there ever sick they cannot do it upstairs they go right down to the carpet.So as we speak we are having a nice cherry laminate floor installed in the basement.

mruffruff
07-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Yes, I got my Dirt Dawg.

It does a very good job and I can even leave the house. I have a den that is two steps lower than the rest of the house so it's easy to let it it do its thing there. I DO have to move my dining area chairs out of the room and pick up cat toys first. "Bumper" tends to get caught under the legs of the chairs.

When I use him in the living room, I put 2X4's across the doorways to contain him. He manages to navigate over the area rug and bare floors without a problem. When he gets stuck under a rocker, he beeps at me and I re-start him.

I tried to let him do the whole house at once but he wore out before he could get it all. He spends a lot of time going over the same area again and again, just bumping his way from wall to wall and object to object. So now I let him do one room at a time.

It doesn't take too long to recharge him. I keep him plugged in so he's always ready.

Worth the $130 I paid.

kuhio98
07-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Good to know that your own "R2D2" is working for you.
Yeah, I always put the dining room chairs up on the table and put the ottomans up to so it can clean underneath things.

It's not exactly whisper quiet, but the cats aren't scared of it like the regular vacuum. I just love turning it on and walking out the door, knowing that the floor will be clean when I get home -- unless it gets stuck somewhere.........

We let it run around until the batteries are completely dead then recharge overnight. If I want the main part of the house clean, I just close off the doors to the bedrooms, bathroom, etc.

anna_66
07-29-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm glad to hear you like it.

Question, do the dogs have a problem with it? I'm just afraid they would end up barking the whole time if I left it alone with them...lol!

mruffruff
07-29-2008, 09:34 AM
My dogs don't mind at all. In fact, it ran into Scruffy once while he was sleeping. He just walked away.

The cats look at it funny and leave the room. They don't seem afraid of it and they don't want to play with it either.