PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Baby Got Bit Last Night

elizabethann
05-29-2008, 07:59 AM
So Fenway got bit last night. There’s a Chow mix that lives 2 houses across the street from me. I brought Fenway to the pond after work. He was off his leash like he normally is so he can run around and try to catch frogs. Well he ran to the ballpark, right next to the pond, like he always does. And I saw him run back over to the pond. I look, and the dog who HATES Fenway is off his leash, walking over to Fenway. This dog stands over Fenway to prove his dominance. Well Fenway hates that and he growled and snapped at this dog. Well they both started fighting and I’m screaming. Then I hear Fenway yelp and I know he’s hurt. They stopped fighting and Fenway starts limping away. I pick him up. In the meantime, a whole group of people who were exchanging plants in the parking lot came running over and asked if Fenway was okay. I said he was. They asked who the other dog belongs to and I said I didn’t know. They all started yelling at the other dog to scram and I brought Fenway home. The dog kept following us and I said “stay” and it finally went towards its house.

I bring Fenway home and his left leg is bleeding a little bit. He has a scratch and a puncture wound. He limped on it a bit (what’s strange is he was limping on it this weekend because he hurt the same paw/leg this weekend). I gave him a bath (which I was going to do anyways to get the poison ivy off of him) and I checked his wounds to see if they were bad, they weren’t.

Fenway is lucky, because this was a 80 pound Chow mix and if the dog meant business, he could have easily killed him or seriously hurt him. The Chow mix was just being assertive and Fenway didn't want anything to do with him. He was just minding his own business, looking for frogs.

After his bath, I look out the window and the Chow mix crossed the busy intersection and was in my yard! I called Animal Control and said this dog bit my dog and now he’s in my yard and I think he belongs to the folks down the street. He said he would be right over and I said in the meantime, I was going outside to try to get the dog on a leash before it gets hit by a car. I decided to go to the house down the street and I knock on the door. I hear somebody yell something but no answer. In the meantime, the dog comes out from the back yard. I knock again and a man that looks like a 150 year old Santa Claus (but not jolly, gross), answers the door. I ask him if this is his dog and I tell him he bit my dog and that his dog has been roaming the town. He says, yes it’s my dog and thank you. He calls the dog in and closes the door! I'm thinking...why yes, my dog is fine, thanks for asking! Jerk!

The next time I see that dog roaming around town (usually I see him on a leash, being walked by a 55-60 year old woman) I’m calling Animal Control and scooping Fenway up in my arms and heading home.

So I don’t know if Fenway is going to be traumatized to go back to his favorite pond and ball park. He was shaking last night. I took him for a car ride so he calmed down after that.

My poor little buddy. :(

Freedom
05-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Oh Fenway, I am so sorry to be reading all of this! I hope you are feeling much better this morning.

Once you phoned the ACO, I would have let them come pick up the dog, rather than having the owner take it inside. Now, you have to wait for another incident, either with you or someone else's dog. The owner needs a lecture from the ACO!

Keep an eye on the puncture wound, those can get infected quickly.

Hope you have both calmed down after all this!

pitc9
05-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Oh poor Fenway! :(

I hope you are able to stop the dogs owner next time you see her and let her know what happened! AND give her a piece of your mind!!

Daisy and Delilah
05-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm heartbroken to hear this, Beth. How horrible for both of you. Poor little guy. Please give him some soothing kisses from me and the girls:(

Taz_Zoee
05-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I was so scared while reading this thread. Poor Fenway!! I hope he will be okay and that dog will not be let outside alone and unleashed to hurt anyone again.

Just a curious question: So if a dog bites another dog/pet can you report it? Or is it only if it bites a human?

elizabethann
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Just a curious question: So if a dog bites another dog/pet can you report it? Or is it only if it bites a human?

I don't know the answer to that. I never reported it to the police because Fenway was off his leash and so wasn't this dog. The only thing was, I was with Fenway and the other dog was roaming the town by itself.

I think I will bring my cell phone with me on my walks from now on in case I see that dog. I will call 911 and pick Fenway up. That's all I can think of doing.

Fenway & I thank everyone for their concern.

Glacier
05-29-2008, 12:54 PM

It probably varies by where you live. Where I live, any bite on another animal or human while off-leash, is enough to have the biting dog declared dangerous.

I'd make a report to AC about the bite on Fenway. Even if they don't do anything about it, at least it's documented and if you or someone else has to call again, they know the Chow has a history.

Hope Fenway will recover quickly.

Taz_Zoee
05-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I guess it would depend on the local laws.

And I wasn't saying you should have reported it, it was just a curiosity question. :) But I agree with Glacier, you should at least document it with someone. Get a file started on this dog.

petslover
05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
aw. I hope Fenway starts to feel better soon.:(

chocolatepuppy
05-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Poor Fenway and how scary for you.:( I'm glad he's ok.

K9karen
05-29-2008, 10:43 PM
:eek: When I hear stories like this, I cringe and my heart just STOPS!

I'm not sure how it works here in Pa (altho I probably should) but I do know that when the neighbor's dog bit the puppy as soon as it dug into my yard, Animal Control took pictures of the wound at the vet's office and took a statement. I don't, however, remember any criminal charges on the owner on that account, in court.

I take my cell phone outside with me in my own fenced yard, whenever I see the other dogs outside. And on walks.

You probably should have waited for AC to arrive at your house to take pictures of Fenway and the dog in your yard. If a report was written up, they would have approached the owner. Bite and no leash/loose dog.

I'm just SOOOO relieved Fenway's OK. Excuse me, but I was proud of the little guy holding his own. Ya know, the AC guy told me to buy mace, or pepper spray, seriously. Of course you have to think quick enough to use it. :rolleyes:

I hope Fen's widdle paw is OK and healing. Please give the brave pupper a huge kiss and hug for me.

Ginger's Mom
05-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Aw, poor Fenway. Hugs coming his way from NJ. I hope he is feeling better now, and that he is walking his neighborhood and feeling confident again, soon.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-30-2008, 06:14 AM
Oh poor Fenway. I hope he gets over this quickly - take him to meet some friendly doggies so he knows that they are not all nasty

The other dog owner should be reported for letting it out unsupervised - not only is there the danger of it biting it could cause a serious road accident

elizabethann
05-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for everybody's warm wishes. I brought Fenway to doggy day care today and told his caretakers about the incident. He will be with other dogs today. He seemed okay last night. But I don't think he wanted to go over to the pond, so we walked down the street. He will be going to school tomorrow morning (he's taking a class) and then to a birthday party on Sunday, so that should keep his mind off the incident. :)

Daisy and Delilah
05-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm still thinking of that adorable little sweetheart. I still feel so bad for him. Poor little fella:( Please give him some kisses and belly rubs from me, Mom.:)