PDA

View Full Version : Autistic Child voted out of Class

sammy101
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358956,00.html

Hundreds of parents of autistic children are signing an online petition to get Florida teacher Wendy Portillo fired for her alleged tactics toward a 5-year-old boy that mirror the reality show “Survivor.”

Morningside Elementary School in Port St. Lucie, Fla., alerted Melissa Barton this year that her son, Alex, suffers from a high-functioning form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome, FOX 29 reported.

Barton claims that Alex was punished for symptoms of his disability, such as humming and eating his homework. She says Portillo went too far last week when she kicked Alex out of class, and then allowed the other students to vote on whether he should be allowed back in.

Each student was also allowed to say what he or she did not like about Alex. By a 14-to-2 margin, the students voted Alex out of class, according to The South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

“She said this was her way of correcting his behavior,” Barton said. “I asked him how that made him feel and he said, ‘I feel sad.’”

Barton has filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer, who investigated the matter, Port St. Lucie Police Department spokeswoman Michelle Steele told the Sun-Sentinel.

But the state attorney's office decided the matter did not meet criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed, Steele said.

The teacher has been disciplined, however.

“Ms. Portillo has been reassigned outside of the classroom at the district offices until any further action may be determined," St. Lucie County School District said in a statement.

Alex has not returned to school since the incident, and Barton says he won’t be going back.

"He was incredibly upset," Barton told the Sun-Sentinel. "The only friend he has ever made in his life was forced to do this."

Click here for more from FOX 29.

Click here for more from The South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

lizbud
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
There was another case here in Indiana like that. makes you wonder what school taught them to treat children this way?:(

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4945581&page=1

Jessika
05-28-2008, 04:54 PM
That is disgusting. This doesn't even make me upset that it was an autistic child, but the fact that could be done to ANY child... that just disgusts me.

Taz_Zoee
05-28-2008, 06:18 PM
That is disgusting. This doesn't even make me upset that it was an autistic child, but the fact that could be done to ANY child... that just disgusts me.

My thoughts exactly!

sparks19
05-28-2008, 06:19 PM

I agree. What an awful thing to do.

They ban tag and other playground games becuase they think it makes kids feel left out or bad about themselves.... HELLO???? having an entire classroom write down what they don't like about you and then reading it to you by the teachers request? How horrible.

perhaps they should ban that teacher for good.

Freedom
05-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Well said. I agree totally.

Karen
05-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I hope the teacher gets her certification yanked. There is no excuse for that. I hope another teacher is able to talk to these kids, and emphasize playing together, and that some people have different ways of perceiving the world. That wouldn't even be acceptable for high school kids - never mind 5-year-olds!

I was often picked last, or near last, for playground games like kickball. Did I feel bad? Was I scarred for life? Not really - I knew pretty early on that I was the most likely of all my classmates - okay, me and a couple other kids - the others that were left standing toward the end - to trip on my way up the base path. I knew I'd be first picked for other things that didn't involve running, and that was okay.

Twisterdog
05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
That's very sad.

My niece's son has Asperger's Syndrome, and it's been a daily struggle for our entire family for fourteen years. He has attempted public school many times, been home schooled, and is currently attented an "alternative" middle school system. Asperger's Syndrome sufferers sadly have to deal with this type of reaction frequently. There disability is not so great that it is instantly recognizable. It manifests itself often as simply "bad" or "bratty" behavior. My nephew has, at various times, been told by teachers that he was "retarded", "stupid", "impossible", "spoiled", etc. He cannot tolerate being touched, and cannot make eye contact. If people simply give him a large personal space, look away when talking to him quietly, it solves 75% of the problems. You wouldn't think that would be so hard to do. But apparently it was, for most of his teachers.

How, exactly, can a teacher "kick out" a 5 year old from class? Eduction is provided for by law until the age of sixteen, at least in my state. You can't just kick a little kid out of school!

RICHARD
05-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Tossing the kid out of class and having the rest of the class vote on his 'coming back' was really stupid. The teach should be punished for her behavior.

That said.....

I am amazed that this child was not diagnosed until he was 5 years old-by the school no less!

I do not know enough about Asperger's but wouldn't that type of behavior be noticed by the parent(s) before? If this child was diagnosed with a learning/behavoir disability why was he left in a regular class? Why wasn't he further evaluated and maybe put into a situation where he would get specialized care and teaching?

IF SOMEONE IN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM came to me and told me that my child had a condition that may prevent him from learning, cause him to be mistreated in a class room situation or put him in any danger, I sure as shoot would be interested in my kid's schooling.

I am sure that any parent would run to the computer (or library) and find out what Asperger's Syndrome is and what they can do to make the kid's life more manageable. I think that the parent's statement about her child being punished for his disability a little troubling. Unless the child hummed and ate his homework only while he was in school. (Homework for a 5 year old?)

Yes, every child is guaranteed an education, but I think that the parent(s) inability to see that their child was a special needs student from the start as the biggest problem. The second is their and the school's inaction once the child was diagnosed.

Everyone has to take blame in this case.

It's a wash-get your child into a specialized teaching situation if he is deemed that disruptive to the general class population. It's not fair to the student, teacher or rest of the class to have a situation that stresses the learning enviroment.

Ginger's Mom
05-29-2008, 05:54 AM
The mother may have felt that kindergarten (which is where I assume a 5 year old would be), would not involve too much beyond the child's abilities. And as a matter of fact would be a good way for a child to learn to get along in a public setting, since many of the children are just learning social skills and how to get along all day without family there. Once actual schooling/learning begins other options may be available at the school. No I don't blame the mother at all in this case. The teacher has very poor leadership skills.

Pam
05-29-2008, 06:32 AM
My co-workers's son also has Asperger's Syndrome. As Twisterdog said, this disability is often not so great as to be glaringly evident. He, too, attended a special school after being bullied by his classmates in a 'regular' school. My goodness, one thing that a child with this disability doesn't need is a teacher who singles him out for ridicule and then turns the class against him. I hope this little boy will be able to get past this. We sometimes carry "baggage" from childhood with us into adulthood. How much harder it will be for this little boy. This teacher has got to find another profession.

I remember growing up, years before all of these disorders had special names like autism, ADD, etc. I was in school with a boy who ate crayons every day. I don't ever remember him being singled out for this behavior. We all thought it odd but none of us kids made fun of him. When you are five years old it is not a big deal what a classmate does, unless the teacher makes it a big deal. JMHO.

lady_zana
05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes, every child is guaranteed an education, but I think that the parent(s) inability to see that their child was a special needs student from the start as the biggest problem. The second is their and the school's inaction once the child was diagnosed.

Everyone has to take blame in this case.

It's a wash-get your child into a specialized teaching situation if he is deemed that disruptive to the general class population. It's not fair to the student, teacher or rest of the class to have a situation that stresses the learning enviroment.

Many schools, especially because of No Child Left Behind, use the inclusion method to teach. That means everyone is in the same class room - special needs, slow learners, high learners, average kids ect. The idea is that everyone deserves the same education...which is a great ideal but having everyone in the classroom together will not work. The high learners will quickly get bored, the slow learners will struggle to keep up, and the kids will be distracted by the special needs kids.

A few years ago, it was my sister's job to be an assistant to a special needs girl. This girl was in the same class as all the other students her age but she had severe problems. She couldn't walk, speak, and needed help with what we all consider typical, everyday things. Though the other students were not unkind to the girl, it was a distraction for them to have her in the same classroom. Did she deserve the same education as the other students? Yes, of course she did. But it would have been better to have her in a special education setting, not in a regular classroom.

I don't blame the parents; I don't think this is their fault at all from what was posted in article. I think it was the teacher's fault. What happened to that child was horrible and should never happen to anyone. Also, what happened to the other children in the classroom was horrible - they learned the lesson that it is okay to be cruel to another student who may not have the advantages you have.

mamaducky
05-29-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm an elementary teacher, and have taught quite a few kids with Asperger's Syndrome. A couple of them didn't get formally diagnosed until fifth grade -- age 10 or 11. It is not some huge disability that would be readily diagnosed -- especially by a parent. Parents adapt to their kids' idiosyncrasies and adjust to their child's unique rate of development -- disabled or "normal".

A child with Asperger's would likely not be acting too terribly differently than quite a few other kindergarten students -- especially since, let's face it, a lot of non-disabled kids are still out of control for many other reasons. The disability doesn't in any way keep a child from learning, and though a child with Asperger's could benefit from (and should receive) special support, there's no reason why the child should be placed in a special classroom -- much less a special school.

Sure, in a perfect world, we'd have all the disruptive students out of a class so that the non-disruptive kids could learn. But in addition to the kids with disabilities, that also means the bullies, the class clowns, the chatterboxes, and the kids who are rude and unmotivated to learn. That would make for a pretty darn small classroom...!

I think this teacher should have her certification revoked, because she did damage to ALL her class -- not just the little boy who was voted out. Those kids were put into a situation where they were encouraged to be publicly unkind to another child -- and they now have in the back of their minds that if they don't play their cards right, this could happen to them as well.

Kindergarten is confusing enough for some of these kids without having to deal with teachers who do inexplicable things like this...!

smokey the elder
05-29-2008, 02:25 PM
That was a despicable act, and the teacher needs to be held accountable. Just because someone's mind works differently than the "norm" (whatever the eff THAT is!) is no reason for that kind of treatment. What kind of message is she giving those impressionable 5-year olds?

caseysmom
05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
My niece did not get diagnosed until both her parents died and she was 21, living with me and driving me insane! It is quite subtle if you are not aware of the disease.

Suki Wingy
05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Ugh, I know I had a bad kindergarden teacher, but she never kicked me out, geez! Asperger's is often times not diagnosed until kids are older, and high functioning kids really aren't too different from everyone else. I am high functioning Aspergers, meaning in only effects me a little bit, but I think diagnosing kids, especially so young with all of these minor psychological things really ups the chance of self fulfilling stereotypes.

Karen
05-29-2008, 05:05 PM
As Suki Wingy pointed out, there is a whole spectrum of function related to Aspergers. Some people are very badly affected by it, and some people, you'd never know. That still does not excuse the teacher's despicable action.

sparks19
05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I went to highschool with a guy that had aspergers. it was apparent that he had this disorder but he was still allowed to be in a regular classroom and no one treated him like this teacher encouraged her class to treat him. he didn't NEED a special school. he did just fine in regular school with a little extra help at home and a study room period for extra help at school. AND... he was HAPPY :eek: go figure

shepgirl
05-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I couldn't believe what I read. Of all the cruel acts this has to be the no.1. The school system should have fired that teacher on the spot. She should have her certificate revoked in the very least.
If the school doesn't act on this I would make a civil case out of this and sue her, the paren't are sure to win.

darkpikachu02
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I have Tourette’s Syndrome, and when I hear about stories like this, I feel like wringing some necks and anybody who takes up for the teacher in this one is a million times more mental than the child with the disability. The teacher and the principal both need to be fired. The principal needs to be fired for allowing this type of stuff to go on. I was in regular classes throughout my K-12 school career and had graduated high school with a regular diploma just like the normal kids. I had volunteered to return to my high school as a coach of the Special Olympics high school basketball team after graduation. I am now an A+ certified PC technician running my own on call repair service through facebook. Man, I can’t stand these types of people.
Ben

Karen
05-30-2008, 04:06 PM
I have Tourette’s Syndrome, and when I hear about stories like this, I feel like wringing some necks and anybody who takes up for the teacher in this one is a million times more mental than the child with the disability. The teacher and the principal both need to be fired. The principal needs to be fired for allowing this type of stuff to go on. I was in regular classes throughout my K-12 school career and had graduated high school with a regular diploma just like the normal kids. I had volunteered to return to my high school as a coach of the Special Olympics high school basketball team after graduation. I am now an A+ certified PC technician running my own on call repair service through facebook. Man, I can’t stand these types of people.
Ben

I am glad you went to school system with a clue. It is sad how many people manage to get certified as teachers with no clue how to handle these kind of situations!

My "middle" nephew - I have three, one from each of my siblings ... is learning challenged. He was moved into special education classes in elementary school, because he wasn't learning in the mainstream classes, but also did mingle with kids in "regular" classes. He will finish high school this spring, he won't get a diploma because he is in no way capable of passing the MCAS exam (required in Massachusetts) but plans were already set in motion a year ago for his next four years of schooling and vocational training. He was never made a pariah for being different, which I think is soooo important - and is a good-natured kid as a result.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-30-2008, 06:42 PM
This makes me upset... especially since I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I was diagnoses when I was 12 or something... don't really remember. How horrible, I really hope this teacher gets punished.:mad:

IRescue452
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
They wonder where all the violence in school starts....

Medusa
05-31-2008, 02:02 PM
It's so disheartening to realize that this attitude can still exist in our school systems. When I was 3, I took a fall that caused a blood clot on my brain and I had grand mal seizures as a result. As time passed, the pressure on my brain was relieved and I had no seizures for years. It wasn't until I was 15 that I contracted scarletina and it brought the seizures back temporarily. I never did have a seizure at school in my teenage years but my mother thought it best to discuss it w/my teachers in advance, should one occur in the classroom. My science teacher transferred me to another class and said to me "You're not going to fall on the floor and shake in my classroom and scare the hell out of all my students!"

My mother was too timid to take him on, my father wanted to kill him. I just wanted to die. I talked to the principal about it and he said "You're still getting an education, so no harm done." Really? No harm done? Why is it then, at age 60, the pain of simply recalling this incident makes me shake w/anger? As a result of this "teacher's" attitude and stinging words, I learned to keep my problems to myself, to not seek out help. My teenage years could have been sweeter had I been experienced enough to know that the seizures weren't the problem; this "teacher" was. I was burdened w/shame and embarrassment for years. I finally realized one day that I was letting some insensitive jerk (and I don't usually indulge in name calling but I can't think of anything nice to say about this guy) keep me from trusting and living my life regardless of any disability I might have. This teacher just does not realize, and probably wouldn't care if she did realize, the damage she has done. Shame on her and shame on the school system if they allow her to continue to teach. What she's teaching is intolerance and that just should not be allowed, legally, ethically or morally.

cyber-sibes
05-31-2008, 06:30 PM
The teacher did a huge disservice to this boy & his family, her other students, and to society. What kind of lesson is that? I hope she receives appropriate consequences.

(Don't forget, the "professionals" we deal with just might be from the bottom of their class - Just cause they have a job doesn't mean they are smarter, wiser, or have better social skills or more education, than anyone else walking around.)

Medusa
05-31-2008, 07:54 PM
(Don't forget, the "professionals" we deal with just might be from the bottom of their class - Just cause they have a job doesn't mean they are smarter, wiser, or have better social skills or more education, than anyone else walking around.)

True but you really have to be behind the times now if you don't know the power of words. Words can heal and words can harm and those words definitely did harm. We all say things we wish we hadn't but usually we know exactly what we're saying, especially if our words are meant for harm. But your point is well taken.

Sevaede
05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
I agree, Jessika. This woman is sick and twisted. :(

Both of my brothers (I also have an aunt, younger than myself, who is autistic) are autistic. One is very visibly so. The other has Aspergers and is a bit more noticeable than others with it. Meaning, if you saw him when he was in a *good* mood then you would not notice.