PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a dryer.. Groomers! Help?

binka_nugget
05-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a dryer? I'm specifically looking at this one:

Metro Air Force Commander 2 Speed $199.95
Features airflow control, air concentrator, air flare tool, groomers rake, easy change filter & dual mounted legs so you can use the dryer vertically or horizontally. Powerful floor/table dryer with 2-speed performance is lightweight & portable. Peak Hp 4; Low speed CFM/FPM:65/14,000. High speed CFM/FPM:130/28,000. Max. Amps: 11.25; Wt: 8.5 Lbs.

I'd like to spend $100-200ish but don't mind going slightly higher if I really need to. I don't need anything fancy.. just something that'll get the job done fast. I've started grooming other dogs as a hobby.. so I can't afford anything extravagent right now. I just need something that'll do for now and hold up until I can get something better.

Thanks!

buttercup132
05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I personally hate the orange dryers, the one I love the most is this one.

http://grooming.petedge.com/Double-K-ChallengAir-Airmax-2-Speed-Dryer-DK22001.pro?parentCategoryId=190&categoryId=191&subCategoryId=263

Shelteez2
05-28-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't mind the one you posted. It would be good for only doing a couple dogs a day.
For myself I have the doubleK one that buttercup posted a link too.
The only thing that sometimes gets annoying with the double K one is that the hose is kinda short, so if I have a bigger dog it's a little more difficult to reach everywhere I need to. Not really a huge issue though.

binka_nugget
05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't mind the one you posted. It would be good for only doing a couple dogs a day.

Awesome! I work tons so lately I've only been doing one a week so far, so that doesn't concern me. I can't wait to use it on the Shelties!! :D Handheld hair dryers get old REALLY fast. :p

Shelteez2
05-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, anything would be an improvement over a hand held hairdryer... lol
In the link buttercup posted the doubleK one was only $50 more than the one you are looking at though. I'm not sure how much you charge, but for me that would only be one dog's grooming. Might be worth it for a little more power.... just something to think about. :)

Freedom
05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Binka Nugget, I'd just add one comment.

Alicia (Buttercup) gave you the link for the one she likes on Pet Edge. I buy almost all my pets needs from Pet Edge.

They DO offer the one you first mentioned, for quite a bit less that the $199 you posted.

In other words, comparing them from the same company, one appears to be quite a lot more product than the other.

binka_nugget
05-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Binka Nugget, I'd just add one comment.

Alicia (Buttercup) gave you the link for the one she likes on Pet Edge. I buy almost all my pets needs from Pet Edge.

They DO offer the one you first mentioned, for quite a bit less that the $199 you posted.

In other words, comparing them from the same company, one appears to be quite a lot more product than the other.

Thanks for the info :) It is considerably cheaper but I just realized that after the exchange rate and shipping, It'll probably come out to the same as picking it up locally (I try to avoid internet shopping if I can). :)

Alicia & Tasha, is this the same one? I found it for $250 from a local supplier. Would I even need to upgrade to a better force dryer later on?

http://www.businessvision.net/Edge/Main.asp?D=%7B16FEDE15%2DDF3A%2D456B%2D9BA0%2DF7EA 4257B9F3%7D&PageType=Product&SKU=24000&CategoryID=49

buttercup132
05-28-2008, 08:37 PM
It's the same but a different model but that's ok.
The one I posted has 2 on/off switches we have one of those that doesn't work so I don't know what it does.
The orange dryers I find the hose gets hot really fast and makes you hands have a huge red mark from where you were holding it and the hose is just over all uncomfortable. The way the actual dryer sits too it's not stable, the double K dryer has little legs and is designed in a more sturdy way so it doesn't knock over.

lute
05-28-2008, 08:50 PM
http://grooming.petedge.com/ChallengAir-2000-A-D--XL-Portable-Dryer-DK20009.pro?parentCategoryId=190&categoryId=191&subCategoryId=263
This dryer is what I've been using for a while now. Is much better quality and lasts longer than the orange dryers.

Shelteez2
05-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Mine also has two motors (thus two switches) so I think that makes it a little more powerful. If you got it then there would be no need to upgrade at a later date. It's what I have for my business. :)

Spiritwind
05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
LOL my own personal opinion.... I MUCH MUCH prefer the Air Force dryers over the Double K dryers.... Professional handlers I know have a double k and when I am doing baths for them and getting their client dogs ready to go to shows I always use my Air Force dryer on them all.... these are Collie and Shelties I'm using it on.... on occassion an aussie or a border collie..... I think my air force dyer has more force than their double k.... and I can get the dogs done much faster with mine... and I typically will wash/blow out 5-12 dogs for them... depending on how many they are taking to shows that weekend...

I've had my air force dryer for several years... I don't remember what model or type it is.. its up in the kennel and I've been fighting off the Flu for the last week so I'm not gonna go walk up to the kennel to check right now LOL

Twisterdog
05-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I agree with Spiritwind, I much prefer Air Force over Double K. We have a few of the Double K cage dryers, but I don't like their force air dryers.

We have one of the orange Air Force dryers. We use it for small, fragile dogs and for faces and ears.

We recently bought one of these dryers: http://grooming.petedge.com/Metro-Air-Force-Blaster-Dryer-AF44301.pro?parentCategoryId=190&categoryId=191&subCategoryId=263. Holy cow, it is a seriously powerful dryer! :eek: It has two motors, up to 8 horsepower. We can dry probably three dogs with new dryer in the same time we could dry one with the orange dryer.

Spiritwind
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh those Metro Air Force Blaster Dryer, we had one of those at the vet clinic I most recently worked at... talk about POWERFUL! that could blow a little yorkie half away across the room when you flip both switches on it! LOL