PDA

View Full Version : How to keep kitties from escaping outside???

Chinadoll
08-28-2002, 02:14 PM
I have to be very careful when I come home because Scout and Gigi love to wait by the door and try to get outside(Bixby's just fat and happy to just lay there and wait for me to pick him up.). Gigi doesn't run very fast or far, but Scout got half way across the courtyard yesterday and freaked me out. Thank god he came back to me when I called him. Even when you try to leave, they'll go underneath the end table that's right by the door and try to run out as soon as you open it. I have to shoo them away every time I leave. I'm so afraid that one day they'll get out and not come back. The front door opens right into my livingroom. There is no foyer I could block off. So short of making some kind of circular barrier around the door, what should I do? I can't have the roaming around the apartment complex. Besides I feel they are too young to be outside anyway. I want to keep them as strictly indoor kitties. Any ideas?

wayne0214
08-28-2002, 02:26 PM
China doll, I too have the same problem with 2 of my 12 furkids running outside when they get a chance. Of all the things I have tried, that a squirt bottle with water does the best job of keeping them inside. As soon as you open the door, have your squirt bottle ready and enter squirting water in the opening of the door. I have generally found that cats do not know when they are disobeying you especially if an opportunity presents itself to them. Therefore, they need reminding every so often with a squirt bottle.

................wayne

AmberLee
08-28-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214
...Of all the things I have tried, that a squirt bottle with water does the best job of keeping them inside. ...wayne

WAYNE!!! Welcome back! You've been missed. Any travelling with cats tips for MoosMom who is moving next month?

Re. door-dashing tips. One article suggested a metallic shaker can to make a startling noise whenever the door is open. It works well with Livvy and marginally with Cassy. I cleaned a can that vegetables had come in and through in some loose hardware and a plastic top: keep it just outside the front door. (I plan to cover it in a pleasing 'go with' decorator color to please the neighbors soon...

Good luck!