PDA

View Full Version : No more unwanted pets

Freedom
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I was gagging as I read this. :(

http://www.kittybeef.com/aboutus.php

DJFyrewolf36
05-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Sadly some people dont have the same opnions on companion animals we do and see cats and dogs as a far cheaper alternative to other meat stock as they are smaller and can be raised in a more enclosed space. I'm not saying I'd eat it but I do understand why there is a market for it.
Whats even sadder is I know some of the stock animals used for food are treated better than some of the pet animals here in the US :mad:

Freedom
05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
That company has THREE outlets in the US! I wonder how many pets up for adoption they take?

DJFyrewolf36
05-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I checked the FAQ, apperantly you need to pass a criminal background check even to order from them. Also, they state several times that all the meat they have is from farms to prevent the spread of desease. They even go on to state that they feel using strays is not only unclean, its unethical as well. All in all they seem to be a very legit operation.
Again not something I'd eat but as long as they are indeed using only animals raised for the purposes of being food there really isn't an ethics issue. It's no different than a farm selling beef or pork.
We have been taught in the US that cats are only kept for companionship. No one would think to eat a cat. In some areas of the world people would cringe and call us vile for eating beef. It's all in what you were taught is acceptable behavior.
Just playing devils advocate. Just because its different doesn't make it criminal or even cruel.

Edited to add: The only things they have in the US is distrobution centers. There is no butchering or farming operations in the US. I would assume beacuse of the backlash they would get if they were to open such a facility. I don't think there is a law that prevents the farming of cats or dogs in the US (is there? Somone correct me if there is) but if someone were to open up a farm with its own stock and breeding animals raised for the sole purpose of being eaten, people would riot. I myself don't think its wrong to farm food. Most people immideatly take offense to eating something like a cat because they associate the notion with eating THEIR pet. They've formed an attachment. I don't expect ANYONE anywhere in the world would eat anything they have formed a pet relationship with. People have cows as pets, yet they still eat beef. They rationalize it because they arent eating Bessie, they are eating beef. Food is one of those things humans have decided must remain nameless and faceless, at least thats what I've noticed is the north American cultural norm.
Another edit: I expect to get flamed but lets try to be civil. Like I said before just because I'm not against alternative foods doesn't mean Im going to go out and eat my cats lol ;)

moosmom
05-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Sandie,

Especially the ones listed "Free to good home". That article made me sick.
But different cultures have different tastes (not to sound sick) and as much as we are repulsed by them using cats as meat stock, I'm sure they're repulsed by our use of cows for beef. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Jessika
05-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Found this on snopes...

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=17867

Not sure if it really is legit, though? Looks like its one in many string of similar sites... manbeef??? Pretty sure that's illegal lol

EDIT: However, if you'd like, here is some information on the domain owner:

http://whois.domaintools.com/kittybeef.com

IP is in Nebraska and gives you information about the owner. FYI, these are all public records for anyone buying a domain. However in this case it seems they had a third party register for them to "hide" their identity.

DJFyrewolf36
05-26-2008, 07:31 PM
A lot of people buy domain names in bulk too, in order to sell them for higher prices later.

Sure does seem like a hoax now that I dig deeper into it. I wouldn't think there would be a high demand for cat meat in the US...at least not high enough to build a distrobution center, much less three of them. :p

Thanks for posting the domain info, I should have thought of that erlier (duh lol)

Jessika
05-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I checked the FAQ, apperantly you need to pass a criminal background check even to order from them. Also, they state several times that all the meat they have is from farms to prevent the spread of desease. They even go on to state that they feel using strays is not only unclean, its unethical as well. All in all they seem to be a very legit operation.
Again not something I'd eat but as long as they are indeed using only animals raised for the purposes of being food there really isn't an ethics issue. It's no different than a farm selling beef or pork.
We have been taught in the US that cats are only kept for companionship. No one would think to eat a cat. In some areas of the world people would cringe and call us vile for eating beef. It's all in what you were taught is acceptable behavior.
Just playing devils advocate. Just because its different doesn't make it criminal or even cruel.

Edited to add: The only things they have in the US is distrobution centers. There is no butchering or farming operations in the US. I would assume beacuse of the backlash they would get if they were to open such a facility. I don't think there is a law that prevents the farming of cats or dogs in the US (is there? Somone correct me if there is) but if someone were to open up a farm with its own stock and breeding animals raised for the sole purpose of being eaten, people would riot. I myself don't think its wrong to farm food. Most people immideatly take offense to eating something like a cat because they associate the notion with eating THEIR pet. They've formed an attachment. I don't expect ANYONE anywhere in the world would eat anything they have formed a pet relationship with. People have cows as pets, yet they still eat beef. They rationalize it because they arent eating Bessie, they are eating beef. Food is one of those things humans have decided must remain nameless and faceless, at least thats what I've noticed is the north American cultural norm.
Another edit: I expect to get flamed but lets try to be civil. Like I said before just because I'm not against alternative foods doesn't mean Im going to go out and eat my cats lol ;)

I actually agree with you :) Speaking in general, of course. This does make me sick when I think about it because honestly I'm not sure if I would be able to eat cat meat because I'd think of all of my cute little kitty friend's faces, but for some people it's a normal part of their culture. Just not a normal part of *my* culture :)

Freedom
05-26-2008, 07:42 PM
There is a "sister" company, puppy beef.

Very interesting reading all the info you all have found on this. I saw the ad and just couldn't believe my eyes. Didn't even think to check it on snopes or anything. Duh! It was just too inflammatory for me.

Thanks to all of you for shedding some light.

Jessika
05-26-2008, 07:44 PM
There is a "sister" company, puppy beef.

Very interesting reading all the info you all have found on this. I saw the ad and just couldn't believe my eyes. Didn't even think to check it on snopes or anything. Duh! It was just too inflammatory for me.

Thanks to all of you for shedding some light.

It's not to say it IS a farse since just googling the company's name surprisingly doesn't bring up a lot of controversial websites. The snopes on topped the list, but is just a discussion on their forum, it has neither been confirmed nor denied. So who knows; I think I'll do a little more web-digging :)

Catty1
05-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Found this on a blog - suggests actions to take - and see second quote, please!

I was worried about this. VERY IMPORTANT: PLEASE DONT GO TO THESE SITES! A NUMBER OF US COVERED THIS 2 WEEKS AGO AND WE THINK THEY ARE HOAXES. INSTEAD OF GOING TO THE SITES, REPORT THEM. PLEASE READ FURTHER. HERE ARE THE LINKS:

Links for reporting interenet crimes:

https://tips.fbi.gov/

http://www.ic3.gov/

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/reporting.htm

http://www.cybersnitch.net/cybersnitch.htm

WE WANT TO SHUT THEM DOWN, NOT PROMOTE THEM. BY GOING TO THE SICKO SITES, YOU JUST GIVE THESE PYSCHOS WHAT THEY WANT-- A NUDGE UP THE SEARCH ENGINES.

From the Humane Society:

Handling Websites that Promote Animal Cruelty

In response to the rising number of websites that promote, glamorize or trivialize cruelty to animals, this information is to help you to do something to stop it. Much of what you see on the Internet is created for the purpose of drawing attention to the author's website. They are so disassociated with society that it doesn't matter to them if what they are displaying has any moral value. All they are concerned with is the attention -- whether good or bad -- motivates them to continue their effort to increase their hit count or reputation. To those types of sites, please ignore them. Hopefully, without the attention that they crave for, and the lack of interest in their site from others, they will go away.

In the past, we provided petitions and worked to have the sites removed. Even though this process was successful, it has also helped to draw attention to those sites. This has indirectly given support to those sites to make it eventually come back or encouraged others who thought alike to start one of their own cruelty websites. Now, we have several more, and efforts to remove them gets harder and harder everytime. That's why it is in the best interest of all concerned that we handle these things in another manner.

Should you find a site that is promoting animal cruelty, here is what you can do:

-Do not contact the website. The author isn't interested in how you feel about him/her and what he/she is doing.

- Do not provide website links and/or send emails to all of your friends and associates telling them about the site. Doing so would be promoting the site and, thusly, giving them what they want -- attention. It is what they crave and you would only be fueling their fire. Don't give them any satisfaction. If you have concerns about a web site, contact your elected officials but please do not contact friends and neighbors. Many well-intentioned individuals believe that the best course of action is to tell all of their friends and relatives about such web sites. Sometimes online petitions against a site will be generated. Ultimately, such petitions or mass emails will only increase the number of visitors to a website, encouraging the site's creator.

- Contact the ISP who hosts the website to let them know about the abusive content. The administrative and technical contacts are who you should be sending your complaints to. The registrant is most likely the website author. To find out who is the ISP and other relevant information, you can use any one of the WHOIS tools available on the internet such as this one here: http://whois.domaintools.com
However, sometimes the origin of the site, the name and address under the site is registered could be inaccurate, incomplete or false. So far, it has been an uphill battle, as the only law that even remotely covers issues like this is a law that covers e-mailed obscenities; therefore, if the site is not in violation of the host's user agreement, no law is being violated, and the site can remain up. Some other sites similar to this one has been closed down several times before but continues to reappear with different Web addresses. Thus, in addition, you can also file a complaint at the reporting center website set up by the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) for Internet fraud and other forms of Internet crime here: http://www.ic3.gov

Hopefully, with enough complaints filed with the FBI, stressing the influence it may have on cases of actual cruelty, it will be removed permanently.

Know the Laws in your Area

If you know of a real animal abuse in your community, contact your local authorities. Provide as much evidence to support your complaint as possible.

Monday July 23, 2007, 11:49 am
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for writing the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service.

These websites are hoaxes, it is illegal to sell cat or dog meat over
the internet. These animals are not inspected by the USDA, and cannot be
legally sold.

Sincerely,
Webmaster,
Food Safety and Inspection Service

Food safety information is also available 24/7, by going to "Ask Karen,"
our automated virtual representative at www.askkaren.gov. You may type your food safety question directly into the automated virtual
representative feature.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessika
05-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Ah-ha! I knew it!! Thanks Catty1 :) Where did you find this information?

Taz_Zoee
05-26-2008, 08:13 PM
That's exactly what Bruce asked - is it USDA approved?? He didn't believe it right from the start. Whew!

Catty1
05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Link to the Domain record: http://whois.domaintools.com/kittybeef.com

Email address for reporting below:

Whois Record

Registrant:
Vexes Media, LLC
2519 McMullen Booth
Suite 510-323
Clearwater, FL 33761
US
404-551-5587x1

Domain Name: KITTYBEEF.COM

Administrative Contact:
Master, Domain
2519 McMullen Booth
Suite 510-323
Clearwater, FL 33761
US
404-551-5587x1

Technical Contact:
Master, Domain
2519 McMullen Booth
Suite 510-323
Clearwater, FL 33761
US
404-551-5587x1

Record last updated 03-10-2008 03:02:09 PM
Record expires on 12-14-2009
Record created on 12-14-2006

Domain servers in listed order:
DN1.SERIOUSWEBHOSTING.COM 66.160.195.22
DN2.SERIOUSWEBHOSTING.COM 66.160.195.22

Jessika - I just did a general Google search for kittybeef (just typing it makes me gag). I found a blog on it...and then used the domain name search link above. The creators of these sites are button-pushers...so ignore them and just report them!

I noticed on the whole Domain link on the kitty site that they are flagged for monitoring. That may not mean what I think it does...

Catty1
05-26-2008, 08:42 PM
My email to [email protected]: ETA - Don't send email here! It is likely the registrant (and my email bounced). Send HERE - it's the IP address, Hurricane Electric in Freemont, CA:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hello:

I am writing from Canada, but through information posted on a pet forum - of which I am a member - I have become aware that "www.kittybeef.com" and "www.puppybeef.com" appear to be registered with your domain.

Here is a quote; though I cannot substantiate that it does indeed come from the Humane Society in the United States, it does make good sense.

From the Humane Society:

Handling Websites that Promote Animal Cruelty

In response to the rising number of websites that promote, glamorize or trivialize cruelty to animals, this information is to help you to do something to stop it. Much of what you see on the Internet is created for the purpose of drawing attention to the author's website. They are so disassociated with society that it doesn't matter to them if what they are displaying has any moral value. All they are concerned with is the attention -- whether good or bad -- motivates them to continue their effort to increase their hit count or reputation. To those types of sites, please ignore them. Hopefully, without the attention that they crave for, and the lack of interest in their site from others, they will go away.

In the past, we provided petitions and worked to have the sites removed. Even though this process was successful, it has also helped to draw attention to those sites. This has indirectly given support to those sites to make it eventually come back or encouraged others who thought alike to start one of their own cruelty websites. Now, we have several more, and efforts to remove them gets harder and harder everytime. That's why it is in the best interest of all concerned that we handle these things in another manner.

Should you find a site that is promoting animal cruelty, here is what you can do:

-Do not contact the website. The author isn't interested in how you feel about him/her and what he/she is doing.

- Do not provide website links and/or send emails to all of your friends and associates telling them about the site. Doing so would be promoting the site and, thusly, giving them what they want -- attention. It is what they crave and you would only be fueling their fire. Don't give them any satisfaction. If you have concerns about a web site, contact your elected officials but please do not contact friends and neighbors. Many well-intentioned individuals believe that the best course of action is to tell all of their friends and relatives about such web sites. Sometimes online petitions against a site will be generated. Ultimately, such petitions or mass emails will only increase the number of visitors to a website, encouraging the site's creator.

- Contact the ISP who hosts the website to let them know about the abusive content. The administrative and technical contacts are who you should be sending your complaints to. The registrant is most likely the website author. To find out who is the ISP and other relevant information, you can use any one of the WHOIS tools available on the internet such as this one here: http://whois.domaintools.com
However, sometimes the origin of the site, the name and address under the site is registered could be inaccurate, incomplete or false. So far, it has been an uphill battle, as the only law that even remotely covers issues like this is a law that covers e-mailed obscenities; therefore, if the site is not in violation of the host's user agreement, no law is being violated, and the site can remain up. Some other sites similar to this one has been closed down several times before but continues to reappear with different Web addresses. Thus, in addition, you can also file a complaint at the reporting center website set up by the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) for Internet fraud and other forms of Internet crime here: http://www.ic3.gov

Hopefully, with enough complaints filed with the FBI, stressing the influence it may have on cases of actual cruelty, it will be removed permanently.

Also: Thank you for writing the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service.

These websites are hoaxes, it is illegal to sell cat or dog meat over the internet. These animals are not inspected by the USDA, and cannot be legally sold.

Sincerely,
Webmaster,
Food Safety and Inspection Service

Food safety information is also available 24/7, by going to "Ask Karen," our automated virtual representative at www.askkaren.gov. You may type your food safety question directly into the automated virtual representative feature.

You may wish to check with your own legal department on this matter. Please shut down these attention-getting websites immediately. They are, at the very least, upsetting to many - and at worst, illegal in the U.S.A.

Thank you for your prompt action regarding these sites.

Regards,
C_____________

IRescue452
05-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd say its a hoax. I pick up on the Asian things mentioned. I mean, honestly, Thailand would be a bigger customer than Japan. The few people that do eat cat or dog do so because of medicinal properties from fresh and specially prepared meat, not frozen shipped stuff. They have little use for the meat as an everyday meal. They don't seem to have much info about the uses other than for headaches, not much research into this market. Plus, most of those countries have so many cats and dogs, they wouldn't pay for this stuff. The whole thing makes no sense to me as a legit site.

Also not in the recipes page the cream of mushroom soup is swearing at us.

Catty1
05-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree, IRescue - but I still reported the sites. As my letter stated - they are, at the very least, upsetting to some, and at the worst, illegal.

Don't want those turkeys getting any attention except from the IP provider! :D

Interesting how the domain name is "vexes"...hmmm.....;)

Jessika
05-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey don't forget to also report manbeef.com

I find that more disturbing than kittybeef and puppybeef put together :(

Freedom
05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Goodness, this have really taken off, and not in any way I possibly imagined!

Very interesting developments, thanks.

Unfortunately, it has to be posted and bumped up the search engine listing a few times, until it comes to the attention of the "right" people - people who suspect, know how to do the background checking, and do the reporting.

This means all of YOU!

RICHARD
05-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Does cat hair count?

Seems like I have that every meal.;)

Catty1
05-26-2008, 09:45 PM
RICHAAARRRRRDDDDDDD....

*smack*

Gonna have a few words with the Edster about you....

Catty1
05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrative and tech contacts to be used

manbeef

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

kittybeef and puppybeef

[email protected]

(Domain for the latter - vexes.com)

RICHARD
05-27-2008, 12:19 AM
RICHAAARRRRRDDDDDDD....

*smack*

Gonna have a few words with the Edster about you....

WHAT?:)

lizbud
05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
This is a hoax. Do you really think if this were true, don't you think
all the humane societies & animal rights people, would be all over this
and it would make national news.

It's another bogus site to amuse some sick soul.:rolleyes: