PDA

View Full Version : Multiple cats, how do you do it?

DJFyrewolf36
05-26-2008, 06:10 AM
*I edited this post because I realized I was getting into a broader topic of discussion than I orginally intended lol. I really do want to know your tricks! Help me PT!!! :D*

Multi cat household drama: A tale of more oddball cat behavior...

My roomates cat, Pollux has not gotten along with our cats ever since we introduced them to each other. They are civil enough but sometimes the fur does fly. :rolleyes: Pollux tends to avoid John and me most of the time too. Admittedly if he rubs up on me and asks to be petted, I won't ignore him but I don't go out of my way to hunt him down and since our cats are usually in our room with us, Pollux stays out of there. Lately though he has been cuddling with us and our cats. Even as I type, he is cuddling with John. I know my roommate doesn't pay all that much attention to Pollux but that isnt anything unusual and up until now Pollux has been content to hide or sit in the window (Unless he was getting into a scrap with the other cats). He did have a bit of an inapropriate peeing issue not too long ago but getting him on uranary tract food and adding more boxes has stopped that problem. I'm wondering if paying more attention to him is helping the peeing issue as well.
Any thoughts?

RedHedd
05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm wondering if paying more attention to him is helping the peeing issue as well.
Any thoughts?
Probably. Sounds like he's wanting some attention. Give it to him and you may have an entirely different and wonderful cat on your hands. He sounds lonely

momcat
05-26-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm inclined to agree. How sad that your roomie doesn't give him very much attention, kitties need that to feel loved and accepted. All he wants is to feel like he belongs. Please keep on giving him attention and lots of lovies, and while you're at it would you give him some from me?

catmandu
05-26-2008, 03:34 PM
EVEN IF YOUR ROOMMATE PETTED POLLUX A BIT MORE THAN WOULD HELP, AND WHO KNOWS IT WOULD HELP YOUR ROOMMATE LOOSEN UP A LITTLE AND ENJOY LIFE.
A PURRRRRING CAT MAKES ALL JOYOUS AND GLAD
MOOSE ANGEL CAT.1990-2006.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/mseJH.jpg
CIRCA 1999 WHEN JOHN HANCOCK FIRST CAME TO BE OUR FRIEND HERE.

DJFyrewolf36
05-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I'll give him an extra special pet just for you momcat :D

I feel bad for poor Pollux as most of the time his selected target is Hoodini which I figure is because Hoodini gets a LOT of attention (does it help that he acts like my furred shadow? :D). A few months ago, Hoodini would just run away but since he is getting bigger and braver (and Remus has decided to help him out) Hoodini will fight back now...and get agressive if Pollux demands my attention :rolleyes:
Lately I've been trying to balance things out a little more, but Hoodini and Remus are my babies and they get bent out of shape if I even pay attention to Spook and gang up on the offender. Remus was never this bold without a partner lol.
Sigh how do you guys with multiple cats do it? Do they magically get along with each other or do they have hiss fits over whos getting petted when?

nancys
05-27-2008, 12:16 PM
I think he must like attention.

DJFyrewolf36
05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I think he must like attention.
Honestly I think ALL of them love attention lol and will fight each other to get it. I wish they would all realize that I will pay attention to ALL of them, they just have to take turns. :p
I only have four cats to deal with...How do you guys handle 5 +? I really want to know as I think some of those techniques could really help relations between my kitties.

Sevaede
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Heh. Pollux, I would definitely say he needs a lot of love and reassurance. :)

krazyaboutkatz
05-28-2008, 01:22 AM
Sigh how do you guys with multiple cats do it? Do they magically get along with each other or do they have hiss fits over whos getting petted when?

No, they don't always get along and some cats will get more jealous than others when you're paying more attention to one of their siblings. Since I've been using Feliway Plugins this has helped my cats to get along much better. Storm is the alpha cat and he tends to get jealous if I'm petting another cat for too long or giving them too much attention. Starr and Pearl are also very clingy to me at times. I would say that not a day goes by without some kind of a spat in my household. They're just like kids. They're always fighting about something. Good luck.:)

Medusa
05-28-2008, 04:36 AM
Things are much calmer in my house since I began using Clomicalm a few years ago. Medicating my cats was a last resort but things got so bad; Specs and Boo were fighting every day, then the peeing wars began and I'd had enough. Sometimes, though, no matter what you try, there will be cats who just do not get along. I think it's just like people; some of us just don't hit it off w/others and there's always tension there. But I do think that if Pollux gets more attention, things may calm down for you a bit. My Specs needs more attention and sometimes I'm lax in that department because I may be focused on Puddy, who's a CRF cat, or Creamsicle, who's a CH cat, and I'll notice the difference in his behavior. He becomes very whiney. I had 8 cats until my Peeka passed over and now 7 is all I can comfortably handle. Sometimes I think it isn't the number of cats you have but their personalities. I had a lot of chaos when I only had 4. Good luck and let us know how things are progressing. :)

GILL
05-28-2008, 06:34 AM
There are always some disagreements. Every now and then some one gets picked on. Last night Bailey was the target of Chessie & Princess. The night before it was Boots by Lenny & Bailey.
So it becomes a never-ending cycle. I can take a little yelling but if it gets to bad they all know that I'm the alpha and I will chase the offenders with my swart bottle. After one of the chasses things quite down for a few days and everyone is on their best behavior.

Freedom
05-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I was interested in reading the other multi cat replies, as I don't have those issues!

I never expect my cats to be all lovey dovey with each other; but I DO expect them to live in harmony. I tell them that (who knows if they really understand or not?) and the squirt bottle is my friend when a newbie arrives. Things are sorted out within 4 weeks or sooner.

Each of mine needs / wants a different level of interaction with me. Having multiples means, for me, when I want to cuddle a kitty, SOMEONE is available! :D I remember having just my first cat Amber (Mr. Amber Cat), and wanting to sit with a cat in my lap and stroke, but after 3 or 4 off he went. :( So for me, having multiples is heaven!

I don't believe I have ever had an all out fight; I just do not permit it! Now and then someone will hiss at another one, not always clear to me why it happens. And Vita, my Queen, does an excellent job of keeping everyone in line and dutiful to her regalness. :rolleyes: I've often thought I am lucky to only have ONE Queen, as I never turned a cat away, so it just happened that way.

I keep nails trimmed regularly so no one can hurt anyone else (or the dogs). I did once have Vita scratch the cornea on Sparkle, ER vet visit. But they were playing at the time!

I am guessing that Pollux thought this is just the way life is, until you and your tribe arrived and he saw that he COULD get petting. So now he is trying to figure out how to fit in, how much petting does he like, OOHHH it is NICE!, and so he is sorting it all out.

Many people do not realize that cats ARE social creatures. They are not pack animals like dogs; but people mix that up and think they aren't social. they most definitely ARE! Pollux has been missing out and now he has to catch up and discover something about himself: just how much petting does he really like? Giving him petting time will help sort it all out.

Best wishes!
Sandie

DJFyrewolf36
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replies! Ive been petting Pollux a lot more as of late and Ive noticed a bit of a drop in the incedents (except for last night when for some reason ALL of them wanted to sit in the bathtub but were convinced only one could fit at a time :rolleyes:)
Im lucky enough to catch most of the scraps between them before they hurt each other but Hoodini did get a small scratch on his ear a few weeks ago :(. A lot of the time they hiss or yowl at each other before they ever get into a physical fight (cat bad language?)
My roomate keeps talking about sending Pollux back to his mom in Nevada but I don't know when or if thats ever going to happen. The last thing I want is for him to go through more bouncing around, which I doubt will help him any. What stinks is it isn't my decision unless my roomates mom doesn't take him and when me and John get our own place we end up with him. Realistically I know he functions well in a home where he is the only cat but I feel like if I try to find him a better home Id be giving up on him. :(. My three are good buddies and I think they have a good dynamic with each other and the best thing for them is to keep them as a trio. I also don't want them ganging up on the odd cat out and they've been doing that a lot with Pollux. They did that when I was fostering Onyx too :rolleyes:.
Sigh...Pollux needs love and to know that he is wanted. I think he has spent way too long feeling like no one wants him around.

catmandu
05-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I AM NOT SURE IF ITS SOMETHING THAT I DO, I WOULD HAVE TO CREDIT THE OLDER CATS :love::love:MORE AS THEY ARE SO WARM AND FRIENDLY THAT THE YOUNGER CATS ARE RELAXED , AND ASIDE FROM MIQUELITO STARTING LITTLE FIGHTS, THERES GENERALLY HARMONY :DAT THE FOUND PARADISE CAT HOTEL.:love:
MY PRINCESS WHO AT 17 IS STILL SKITTISH AROUND OTHER CATS AVOIDS THEM AND THEY GIVE HER HER SPACE OR ELSE!!!!:eek::eek:
ALL IN ALL THINGS ARE COPASETIC HERE.:love::cool:

Sevaede
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Aww. :( Hopefully things get better with the roomie and they start taking good care of Pollux. He's a good boy. Give him some fluffy cat love for me. :D