PDA

View Full Version : Newest Member Of Our Family (more photos post #24)

Craftlady
05-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Meet Coco (7 week old lab/beagle mix)
He is a doll baby :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Coco/coco1.jpg

Taz_Zoee
05-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh my goodness!! I was surprised to see your name in Dog General. What a cute puppy!!
How are the cats going to take to a puppy? Or have they had dogs in their life before?
Congrats!! Welcome to PT Coco!! :D :D

Edit: Well, I see you answered my question in Cat General. LOL

Craftlady
05-24-2008, 10:32 PM
He loves to be held and sleeps in your arms. Tonight, I put a hot water bottle wrapped in a tshirt of mine in his crate. He is laying on it. ;)
He misses his mom and littermates (11 puppies). He loves warm bodies so I thought the water bottle would be a good substitute for us being near him.
Hoping to get some sleep tonight. Hubby says I wont, we will see :)

Chica
05-24-2008, 10:37 PM
AAAHHHHH!!!!WHAT A CUTIE!!!!!:love::love:I HAVE A COCO TO! She is 1 1/2 years old. She is a chihuahua with chocolate coloring. Your baby is so adorable!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/REDCONGRATS.gif:love::love:

COCOmy chi:love::love:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/cocoforyou123-1.jpg

BC_MoM
05-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Congratulations! He's adorable. :)

krazyaboutkatz
05-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Congrats!!!:D He sure is adorable.:)

Karen
05-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Congratulations, he is beautiful, and is sure to drive everyone a bit crazy over the next few weeks, but is so adorable he'll be forgiven.

k9krazee
05-25-2008, 12:13 AM
OHMYGOSSH.

I'm so excited to watch him grow. Jack says that Lab/Beagle mixes are the best! :D

chocolatepuppy
05-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Congrats! What a cutie! I love chocolate puppys. ;) It will be so much fun watching Coco grow up.:D

jenluckenbach
05-25-2008, 08:20 AM
What a surprise!! He is ADORABLE!!! :)

lute
05-25-2008, 09:00 AM
AWWWW!!!! PUPPY BREATH!!!! Give him lots of kisses for me!:love::love::love:

Rachel
05-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Surely you don't think you can get away with that brief of an introduction. Inquiring minds want to know all the details....has this been a long anticipated addition or a spur of the moment falling in love? Coco is a perfect name for a little chocolate bean. You said it right - what a doll baby. Now that we know about Coco, you will also have to keep us enthralled with puppy tales.....that is.....if you have the time. (snicker, snicker).

Daisy and Delilah
05-25-2008, 12:33 PM
What a cutie patootie!!! We need more pictures of the little angel. Congratulations!!!! Welcome to Pet Talk Coco!!!:)

Craftlady
05-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Coco was not long anticipated. We were going up to Tractor Supply where they allow outdoor flea market. There was this truck full of cutie puppies. Momma had 11 puppies (2 died). Girls were black and boys were brown.
First one I picked up was Coco and he fell asleep in my arms. We were hooked :)

Last 24 hrs has been fun. I just pulled out two tics (one each ear), clipped his nails which he loves. Trying to figure out his potty and poop schedule. He does like the hot water bottle wrapped in one of my shirts. Also, we play music on dish all night.
Needless to say, a few accidents and now I put the puppy pad right outside his cage. I'm off to take a much needed nap, it was a short night last night.

Skinny (our one cat) was a pistal at times last night. After 3 a.m. Coco demanded more attention LOL

wolf_Q
05-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Awww what a cutie, congrats!! :)

Ginger's Mom
05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
He sure is adorable. You will have your hands full for a while, but it sounds like you are enjoying it. :)

K9karen
05-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Awwww! Coco is adorable! Welcome to the Dog side of PT! We want to know about every pee and poop and movement and trick etc! :D:D Puppyhood will be gone before you know it, so relish every second of it! It's all worth it! Make sure you have lots of Neosphorin on hand for teething time! Give Coco a huge kiss on his widdle head for me!

Barbara
05-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Welcome choco Coco ;)
I am sure the cats will learn to love you :)

MoonandBean
05-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi Coco....welcome to PT! We have spent the last month here raising a new puppy...

She got used to her crate and stopped crying after 3 nights, I think. Now, she goes in there by herself to take a nap when she is tired. I wish you lived closer...we would love some puppy play dates. Looking forward to watching you grow up :)

Love, Deb and Sunny Lee

P.S...Moon and Bean say it's not so hard getting used to a widdle puppy :)

cyber-sibes
05-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Congratulations! He's so cute!

tikeyas_mom
05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Congrats he is sooo cute! Dont be affraid to post more pics :p!!

Jessika
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Oooh we have a new puppy in the household, too :) The in-laws brought home a lab puppy from walmart (yeah "free puppies") Friday afternoon. Cute as a button!!! Looks like we'll be raising puppies and losing sleep together ;)

Casper
05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh my, Coco is an absolute doll! :love:
Congratulations!

Craftlady
05-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Photo taken yesterday, I think. The day's & nights are running into each other. LOL
We found a stuffed animal at Walmart's tonight that seems to comfort Coco.

Here's more photos

Love that face :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Coco/coco4.jpg

Dad's feet makes a great bed :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Coco/coco3.jpg

Jessika,
Hopefully we will both be sleeping more in a few days :)
Up every 2 hrs is intersting to say the least. LOL

lute
05-26-2008, 11:59 PM
He's so small. Such a cutiepatootie!

pitc9
05-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Oh how cute!!

Congrats!

Pawsitive Thinking
05-27-2008, 09:40 AM
That face was born to be kissed :love:

ramanth
05-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Such a sweet little bundle!! Congrats!! :D

Anikaca77
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the new addition!

What a cutie pie!

Ginger's Mom
05-28-2008, 11:47 AM
That face was born to be kissed :love:

I have to agree with that statement. :D

cassiesmom
05-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Lab and beagle, what an interesting mix! He's darling!

Rachel
05-28-2008, 04:13 PM
After 3 a.m. Coco demanded more attention LOL

Now just who is training whom? Don't get the little bean into a routine that you don't want to follow. A middle of the night potty run outside is reasonable, but no playing around. Back to bed and *go to sleep*. I think I would cut off the music too. I'm assuming that you have the cage in your bedroom.

Craftlady
05-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Now just who is training whom? Don't get the little bean into a routine that you don't want to follow. A middle of the night potty run outside is reasonable, but no playing around. Back to bed and *go to sleep*. I think I would cut off the music too. I'm assuming that you have the cage in your bedroom.

His crate is in the living room.
I'm using potty pads because he barely makes it out of the crate and has to pee 99.99% of the time. Only time he fusses is because he has to potty. We dont "play" anymore in middle of the night that only happened the first 2 nights. Now he settles down within 5 minutes and goes back to sleep. Actually Coco likes the christian music station, we play it during the daytime if t.v. isnt on a particular program.

Unfortunately, at 3:30 a.m. to 4 a.m. hour during the school year, hubby is up doesnt leave the house until 5:10 a.m. This morning Coco didnt wake up until 4:30 a.m. and hubby had been up for about 1/2 hr.

Once Coco gets older he will stay down in the basement at night.
He will be able to hold his bladder longer too.

lizbud
05-28-2008, 06:41 PM
You could try picking him up in your hands & not let him walk out of
the crate. Then place him where you want him to pee. (outside or on a pad)

He'll be able to hold it longer as his bladder grows a bit. Coco is a tiny little
guy & sure is a cutie.:)

Craftlady
05-28-2008, 07:46 PM
You could try picking him up in your hands & not let him walk out of
the crate. Then place him where you want him to pee. (outside or on a pad)

He'll be able to hold it longer as his bladder grows a bit. Coco is a tiny little
guy & sure is a cutie.:)

I put the pad just outside his crate. Cant wait for the bladder to grow more ;)

Rachel
06-01-2008, 12:19 PM
His crate is in the living room.

Once Coco gets older he will stay down in the basement at night.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Dogs are such pack animals, they crave being with their people. Plus if he were ever needed to wake you during an emergency or protect you from an intruder, he wouldn't be able to accomplish any of that in the basement. What are your concerns? There are lots of people here who might have suggestions to alleviate what you foresee as a problem.

Craftlady
06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Dogs are such pack animals, they crave being with their people. Plus if he were ever needed to wake you during an emergency or protect you from an intruder, he wouldn't be able to accomplish any of that in the basement. What are your concerns? There are lots of people here who might have suggestions to alleviate what you foresee as a problem.

Rachel,
#1. The "concern" is SIZE.
We live in a small 1 1/2 story house.
The largest kennel made for his full grown size will NOT fit in my small livingroom along with the furniture. I cant have a couch in the room because it's so small. 3 chairs (reliciner types are in the room).

#2 Coco is going to be 50 lbs at least and will be size of a regular full grown lab IF the beagle size doesnt take over. Also, we dont have to worry about "intruders" we dont live in the city nor suburbs but a rural county setting.

#3 My 4 cats will ALERT us to problems.

#4 Basement Issue: He will be kept in his kennel at night (for sleeping).
He will be kept in his kennel when we arent home during day or evening.
This we are doing for his own safety and preservation of our furniture and belongings. Without supervision there will be disasters.

Otherwise he will be allowed upstairs when we are home.
I'm guessing from your "concerns" you were NOT aware he was going to be a BIG dog and not a small one the size of a scottie terrier for example or weiner dog.

UPDATE:
He slept 6 hrs straight last night before waking up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My kitties got me up in middle of the night... LOL
I'm happy to have had more sleep. :)
He loves the Christian Music station we play at night.

3muttsandaboston
06-01-2008, 01:46 PM
He is cute! I agree that dogs are pack dogs. How many hours do you think he is going to be in his crate? Puppies his age need to go out every couple of hours because they just can't hold it very long. If you train him to pee on a pad you might as well train him to pee on the floor. IMO that doesn't teach them anything but I'm no expert as I have only raised one puppy. Just because he is big doesn't mean he will tear your house apart. I trust my bigger dogs alone in the house more than my smaller ones. He probably won't grow that big with his mix probably 30-40 pounds.

Rachel
06-02-2008, 06:41 AM
I certainly understand the need to have a young inquisitive dog kenneled while you are away and also not having the space upstairs to place a larger kennel in which Coco will be comfortable. A kennel in the basement could serve that need. I also understand that Coco should feel his kennel is a place of refuge and comfort and in that respect sleeping there at night would reinforce this.

On the other hand, it has been my experience that a properly housebroken dog will not nececessarily need to be kenneled overnight. It would be an interesting question to poll others, but none of my dogs have ever slept in a kennel after a couple months. Right now I have medium dogs but when I was first married I had an airedale and a lab. They both slept in the bedroom with us (no kennel) as do my current two. I don't suppose I can advocate you allowing Coco to sleep on the bed:p which I'm sure would be his preference.