PDA

View Full Version : Another kitty fight

Scooter's Mom
05-23-2008, 10:51 PM
We had a huge kitty fight the other day. First one in many months. Scooter & Charlie - of course. Charlie came away with blood on him but I'm pretty sure it was Scooter Bug's. I don't know what to do with them. I've been alternating nights out... Scooter gets a night out and the other two are locked up in the guest room. The next night Jingle & Charlie are out and Scooter sleeps in the master bedroom with Preston and I will stay on the couch with the other 4 pets. Scooter seems to like it, but I feel bad for Charlie and Jingle. They don't deserve it, they're just not the bad pets they're being made to be. Charlie may be slightly aggressive to Scooter but he doesn't deserve to be locked away... and Jingle just wants to chase Scooter's tail, and Scooter thinks she's trying to kill him so he starts screaming and running so she chases him. It's a sad situation.

Any advice?

Scooter's Mom
05-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I think it's because we're just trying to "let them be" and integrate them all back together... Scooter & Charlie haven't been TOGETHER since their huge fight back in, what was it - September, October?

I wish they all got along.

Medusa
05-24-2008, 07:47 AM
You'll probably read this and think "There she goes again". That being said, have you tried Clomicalm? It's for inappropriate behavior, aggressiveness, urinating outside the litter box, etc. It's prescribed mainly for dogs but can be given safely to cats. I have 4 of my cats on it and have for a couple of years now w/no side effects whatsoever. Five mg. before bed, problem solved. Why not ask your vet about it if you haven't already? I originally started my two males on it who fought constantly because the younger, Specs, wanted to take over and the alpha male, Boo, wouldn't have it. Then the pee wars started and a couple others decided to join in and that's when I said "Enough!". Why not ask your vet about it? It saved my household, my furniture, my cats from getting beat up and my sanity. :)

Fuzzybuns
05-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Back when I just had Toby and Dixie, they got along fine. Dixie knew where things stood and there were never any battles. They would play, sleep and eat together...it was like a big brother, little sister relationship. Toby is so mellow and she's a little bratty but they got along harmoniously, life was wonderful.

Enter Churchy about 2 years ago and things became very unpleasant! He was 1 year old, thought he was made of steel and had that cocky attitude. He set his sights on Toby but one swift butt whooping from him and Churchy backed down. He turned to Dixie and he's literally made her ill (IBS)...she slinked around, stayed high up out of his reach and hid when she's not with me but she pretty much stays with me all the time. I know she can whip his little butt, but she hasn't.

It's been two years and things have slowed a bit. He just tries to make his moves about once a week now but she's still doing all that that I mentioned above which is what gets him going now. He sees her slink down the hall and if he's close enough, he'll attack.

I've never seperated them because our holistic vet said that it would just prolong the inevitable, that this is something they need to work out. It's taken a long time, and I was scared I was losing Dixie when her IBS first showed up, but I think it's been the best way for us.
I did add a big cardboard box, on it's side with two of the flaps closed, for Dixie to make a quick getaway, but she's using it less and less.

I don't like treating my pets with meds unless it's a health issue. Attitude adjustment isn't a health issue...it's like A.D.D in kids. Most of it can be treated with diet change and heavy exercise.

I feed all three cats together (Purina One Special Care) on the table, I give treats as long as they are all three wanting them and they're right there together, and I engage them all in play at the same time. It seems to be helping... or at least it's helping along what time has started to take care of.

I guess promoting togetherness, instead of seperation, is working for us.

catmandu
05-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I have to admit that ones one thing that I ahve been very lucky with and thats the fact that my Cats generally get along well.
Miquelito and Tubster Panther have "fights" but its generally in a big brotherly sort of way as Tubster Panther never hurts the smaller Cat at all.
I wish I knew what to say, but they may have to be seperated if there that much ill will between them.
We certainly hope that you find a solution that you all can live with, our prayers are with you.

krazyaboutkatz
05-24-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( Have you tried Feliway spray or plugins? I've been using 3 plugin's since last summer when I was having peeing and aggressive issues. I also still sometimes use the spray. It's been helping a lot but they'll still have some fights. I also give a few of my cats some herbal calming pills that my holistic vet had recommended. My cats have to live together because there's really no way to separate them. Good luck.:)