PDA

View Full Version : The miracle of small town radio!

Glacier
05-23-2008, 09:26 PM
The announcers suck(my first degree was in broadcasting and somedays it's painful to listen to the local talent!), the music is bad and outdated, but when you need to get a message out to as many people as possible in a hurry there is nothing faster than the local radio station, especially the request line that the DJ himself answers! No automated voice mail here and if he's bored, he answers with the mic on!

On my lunch break today, I picked up a Chihuahua who was dodging cars at the busiest intersection in town... the lights by the liquor store(the busiest store in town!) on a Friday afternoon is no place for a tiny dog! He was quite happy to let me pick him up and carry him away from the cars. Then I realized I'd just picked up a dog smaller than most of my cats and what the heck was I going to do with him? Huskies as a breed are not good with little dogs and I'm not set up at home for a wee one!

Off to the vet...no chip and the staff didn't recognize him...off the the Humane Society....full to the rafters, not even an open cat cage to hold him in.....Just voicemail at Animal Control. Left my number and a description of the little guy everywhere I went. No reports of a missing brown and tan Chi anywhere.

Tucked the little guy into a cat carrier and brought him to my office and then realized that I hadn't called the radio station. It was the all-request Friday Nooner so getting through took over an hour. The station sucks, but when you've got no choice, it's popular! When I finally got through, the DJ cut me off as soon as I said I wanted him to do a found dog announcement. He had just hung up from talking to the dog's owner! Gave me her cell number, took mine just in case we didn't connect and she called him again.

15 minutes later, Bean and his frantic owner were reunited in the lobby of my office building! Bean dashed out the front door when her hubby came in and just kept running. Who knew that even Chi owners had to worry about door dashing and lack of recall!? Both are very strong husky traits! So all's well that ends well...the little sweetie is back home; his owner seemed quite committed to never letting him near the front door again(back yard is fenced)and she was receptive to the idea of a microchip; Bean did not get squashed by a car and I don't have to figure out how to keep him from being a sibe-snack!

Cinder & Smoke
05-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Tucked the little guy into a cat carrier and brought him to my office ...
... the DJ cut me off ...
He had just hung up from talking to the dog's owner!

So all's well that ends well ... the little sweetie is back home;
Bean did not get squashed by a car,
and I don't have to figure out how to keep him from being a sibe-snack!

And she gets ANOTHER GOLD STAR stuck on her forehead! :) :)

I often wonder what your fellow workers think when they see you headed
into the office ...
"Wonder WHAT she found today?" :p

You seem to be developing a NEED for a Small Critter Area at the Ranch ...
Maybe it's Tyme we did some Phund Raising!

Take a BOW, Tamara!!

:D

DJFyrewolf36
05-23-2008, 09:55 PM
And she gets ANOTHER GOLD STAR stuck on her forehead! :) :)

I often wonder what your fellow workers think when they see you headed
into the office ...
"Wonder WHAT she found today?" :p

You seem to be developing a NEED for a Small Critter Area at the Ranch ...
Maybe it's Tyme we did some Phund Raising!

Take a BOW, Tamara!!

:D

I agree! Bless you for being caring enough to help this little guy out! Its nice to know door dashing isn't a cat only trait lol :rolleyes:

Bengalz
05-23-2008, 10:52 PM
:D:D Amazing how quick those little door-dashers are - living with one has improved my reflexes a whole bunch:D

Tamara do you feel like a magnet some days;) no matter I'm so glad our wayward friends are wise enough to run to you for help and thank you for being there for them:)

Moesha
05-24-2008, 07:39 AM
That's a great story! Thanks for looking after the little guy, taking the chance that you were going to have to find something to do with him if you didn't get the owner.

ramanth
05-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Way to go!! :D :love:

Medusa
05-24-2008, 07:58 AM
What a heart warming story! How typical of a PTer to scoop up the dog w/out a second thought and work to find the family. Kudos to you and YAY for the chihuahua and family! I just love a happy ending. :)

Rachel
05-24-2008, 08:09 AM
How fortunate for Bean to run into the likes of Tamara. Congratulations on a successfull mission accomplished! You certainly tried every method known to man and one of them was the magic resource.

Okay, everyone on Pet Talk, a big round of applause to go with that gold star.

We used to have a small town radio station like that years and years ago. There was nothing like it during tornado season for staying on top of the danger and the all clears.

Barbara
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
What a wonderful story- how lucky this little guy was.
Of course I think Tamara that names like yours are traded among pets. They know that if they ever get into trouble people like you will help them out;)

Taz_Zoee
05-24-2008, 02:51 PM
OMG!! That is so cool!! (that actually what I said outloud :D)
Definitely a round of applause coming from Cali. :) And a BIG pat on the back.

phesina
05-24-2008, 04:05 PM
What a wonderful story! And how wonderful that Bean and his person are back together again.

Well done! Thank you.

Husky_mom
05-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I never expected anything less..... thank you for keep doing what a good heart must do...

glad lil Bean went back home...

I would have a laugh seeing your crew reach at a small lil doggie like him LOL... I can imagine him next to Heyoka....LMAO...

Pawsitive Thinking
05-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Fantastic! Well done :love: