PDA

View Full Version : Pet shop rents dogs !?!?!

TheAntiPam
08-28-2002, 11:23 AM
Pet shop rents dogs
Wed Aug 28, 2:35 AM ET

HONG KONG (Reuters) - In another sign Hong Kong's economy may be going to the dogs, a local pet shop is renting out pooches by the week in a bid to bring in more business.

Shop owner Danny Tam said his strategy of "rent first, buy later" could also cut down on the growing number of dogs being abandoned in the territory because their owners have grown tired of them.

"This allows consumers to decide if they really want to keep pets and it also helps generate business," Tam told Reuters in a telephone interview on Wednesday, shouting over the noise of yelping dogs in the background.

Tam said his business has grown five fold since he launched the new marketing strategy in early summer and fewer than 10 percent of his dogs have been returned.

Rental charges vary from HK$700 to HK$1,400 (60-120 pounds) a week, depending on the breed of the dog. But customers have to pay a deposit equal to the full value of the animal.

lovemymaltese
08-28-2002, 11:46 AM
I don't think that I like the idea. Poor animals being sent into those types of situations, they need a more permanent home. What does everyone else think?

zippy-kat
08-28-2002, 12:12 PM
Do you have the link for this, AntiPam?

I don't know how I feel about the situation. While it is good that there are fewer "returns,' what precautions are being taken to ensure the well-being of the animals?

Dixieland Dancer
08-28-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by lovemymaltese
I don't think that I like the idea. Poor animals being sent into those types of situations, they need a more permanent home. What does everyone else think?

I don't like the idea either. :( :( :(

Albea
08-28-2002, 12:22 PM
It looks to me like a scheme to make money without any consideration for the welfare of the pets.:mad: